Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Globalís future ó News, Rumors

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paramount Globalís future ó News, Rumors

Old 06-04-24, 12:05 PM

Received 2,137 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Re: Paramount Globalís future ó News, Rumors

True, though I feel like that was one of the big Disney+ selling points, that people could share all of those Disney classics with their kids and grandkids.

I have really enjoyed going through legacy shows on Paramount+ more than new shows. Cheers, Frasier, Taxi, Wings, the list goes on.
Old 06-04-24, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by story
True, though I feel like that was one of the big Disney+ selling points, that people could share all of those Disney classics with their kids and grandkids.

I have really enjoyed going through legacy shows on Paramount+ more than new shows. Cheers, Frasier, Taxi, Wings, the list goes on.
Oh it is absolutely a huge selling point, at least to me. I love watching stuff like Gargoyles with my kids, and revamps like X-men '97? More please.

But the conversation around Disney + are just full of complaints once the originals started slowing down or being lackluster. Having an "always there" backlog is great for consumers, particularly for peace of mind, but driving new subscriptions/selling content to other services or direct to consumer? not so much. Particularly when they're paying royalties just for being on the service regardless of whether anyone watches them.
Old 06-04-24, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Fewer people will subscribe to a service for just legacy content. There is a reason why each of these services when they launched invested heavily into new content. Without the "buzz" of new shows and/or FOMO, legacy content that is just always there will be taken for granted.

Logically, there's enough on Netflix right now that I'd probably enjoy watching that it would take me decades to go through, but logic doesn't always win out.
I didn't say no new shows, I just said live within the budget. Have the new shows, but don't overspend on them.
Old 06-05-24, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,068 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Oh it is absolutely a huge selling point, at least to me. I love watching stuff like Gargoyles with my kids, and revamps like X-men '97? More please.

But the conversation around Disney + are just full of complaints once the originals started slowing down or being lackluster. Having an "always there" backlog is great for consumers, particularly for peace of mind, but driving new subscriptions/selling content to other services or direct to consumer? not so much. Particularly when they're paying royalties just for being on the service regardless of whether anyone watches them.
I think it's different with Disney though. I think their backlog is much more important to Disney+ prescribers. And they don't have to pay for royalties for their backlog since they own everything that's on there. So if they're even struggling then I can see how it would be difficult for other studios with their streaming service.

Although I do agree a lot of their problems have been brought upon themselves. Devaluing their movies, especially Pixar and having out of control production costs with their Disney+ shows.

Going back to Paramount, I find their shows, Star Trek really, to look absolutely incredible. Much better than anything Disney is producing and while I'm sure they're paying a pretty penny as well I don't hear nearly as much about rampant cost overruns like you do with Disney+ shows.
Old 06-05-24, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
I think it's different with Disney though. I think their backlog is much more important to Disney+ prescribers. And they don't have to pay for royalties for their backlog since they own everything that's on there. So if they're even struggling then I can see how it would be difficult for other studios with their streaming service.

Although I do agree a lot of their problems have been brought upon themselves. Devaluing their movies, especially Pixar and having out of control production costs with their Disney+ shows.

Going back to Paramount, I find their shows, Star Trek really, to look absolutely incredible. Much better than anything Disney is producing and while I'm sure they're paying a pretty penny as well I don't hear nearly as much about rampant cost overruns like you do with Disney+ shows.
Just to clarify, I meant royalties to the actors and creators, not to other companies. It was a big thing in the last actors/writers strike so I assume it will only get worse (for the companies having to pay out). Just something existing on their service means they have to pay out something constantly even if nobody watches it.

As for Trek it's definitely one of their premiere franchises, but making it exclusive to a service runs the risk of alienating their potential reach in a way that Disney may not face due to still having theatrical releases. Diehard trek fans will seek it out, of course, but is the audience broadening?

I will say their commercials are fantastic for showing the kind of stuff that's on the service considering most people couldn't tell you what properties belong to Paramount.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (06-07-24)
Old 06-05-24, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW seems like it hit a snag (again):
https://www.reuters.com/business/med...rs-2024-06-04/
June 4 (Reuters) - Paramount Global (PARA.O), opens new tab Chair Shari Redstone is unhappy with Skydance Media's reduced offer for the family's controlling stake in the company, opening the door for rival bidders to make their case, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters on Wednesday.
Old 06-11-24, 03:33 PM

Received 4,809 Likes on 3,254 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Looks like Skydance and Paramount have agreed to a deal for a merger.

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
Shari Redstone, Paramount End Talks With Skydance Ė Report
https://deadline.com/2024/06/shari-r...ce-1235970595/
Old 06-11-24, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Shari Redstone, Paramount End Talks With Skydance Ė Report
https://deadline.com/2024/06/shari-r...ce-1235970595/
Redstone obviously not heeding DJariya's warning...

If Shari Redstone doesn't approve this deal, she would be the biggest idiot in Hollywood history.

Last edited by rocket1312; 06-11-24 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-11-24, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,899 Likes on 2,785 Posts

I and others in the public don't know all the fine print and dynamics of this potential deal. But, for a studio that is basically dying and having the potential to merge with the production company that helped produce massive hits for you like Top Gun: Maverick and the Mission Impossible series, it seemed like a good pairing.
Old 06-25-24, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 567 Likes on 396 Posts

This doesn't look good...

Paramount Chiefs to Staff: We’re Cutting $500M In Costs After “Unacceptable” Profit Drops

The trio of co-CEOs told employees at a town hall on Tuesday that bankers have been hired to sell unspecified assets "to help pay down debt and strengthen our balance sheet."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ts-1235931990/

Also the entire history of MTV is now gone...

MTV.com is gone. Kaput. Wiped off the face of the Earth.

Parent company Paramount, formerly Viacom, has tossed twenty plus years of news archives. All that’s left is a placeholder site for reality shows. The M in MTV – music — is gone, and so is all the reporting and all the journalism performed by music and political writers ever written. It’s as if MTV never existed. (It’s the same for VH1.com, all gone.)

There’s no precedent for this, and no valid reason. Just cheapness and stupidity.
https://www.showbiz411.com/2024/06/2...-20-plus-years
Old 06-25-24, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

Paramount Chiefs to Staff: We’re Cutting $500M In Costs After “Unacceptable” Profit Drops

The trio of co-CEOs
Well start by cutting two thirds of that workforce immediately
Old 06-25-24, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,961 Likes on 2,024 Posts

I think the only thing MTV has played for the last five or so years is something called Ridiculousness and shitty movies from the 90s and 00s.
Sonny Corinthos (06-27-24)
Old 06-25-24, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Also the entire history of MTV is now gone...
I don't get it. Every single music video that was made in the 80s & 90s has been destroyed? As well as every VMA performance from the past 30 years? Are we now supposed to pretend that music in the 80s and 90s never even existed?
Old 06-25-24, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I don't get it. Every single music video that was made in the 80s & 90s has been destroyed? As well as every VMA performance from the past 30 years? Are we now supposed to pretend that music in the 80s and 90s never even existed?
No, the MTV news website and its archives have been shuttered and deleted. MTV doesn’t own the rights to music videos and performance shows. Those all belong to the labels and production companies.

https://variety.com/2024/digital/new...ne-1236047163/

(They're pretending that Kurt Loder doesn't exist)

Last edited by DJariya; 06-26-24 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-26-24, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
mtv.com
Old 06-26-24, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

All Paramount owned sites have been scrubbed. They just re-direct you to Paramount+

Old 06-27-24, 12:00 AM

Yikes. That's a gigantic, desperate move.
Old 06-27-24, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 897 Likes on 757 Posts

Hollywood is collapsing before our very eyes. You get the distinct impression L.A. won't be the entertainment capital of the world in about 20 years.
Old 06-27-24, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 333 Posts

^^ let our AI overlords take over now and maybe they can save some money.
PhantomStranger (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 06:47 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish the younger Sumner from about 1998 could come back and see the mess his daughter has made. It was his greatest fear to see the empire he built slowly destroyed by his family once he handed it over to them. And now we get to watch his daughter do it. I just dont understand her reasoning. It almost seems like she wants these deals to fail until she has to sell everything piecemeal and ruin her father's legacy. I suppose in a way she already has. Horrible family.
Old 06-27-24, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 818 Likes on 589 Posts

(They're pretending that Kurt Loder doesn't exist)
The person that is still relevant in news media/reporting that came from MTV is SuChin Pak.
Old 06-27-24, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,069 Likes on 766 Posts

Comedy Central was scrubbed too. Decades of Daily Show clips gone.
Old 06-27-24, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,280 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The person that is still relevant in news media/reporting that came from MTV is SuChin Pak.

Gideon Yago was also pretty cool but he became a Hollywood screenwriter and producer when he left MTV. He wrote a lot of the episodes for that show Manhattan.
Old 07-02-24, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Paramount and Skydance reached a tentative agreement to merge. Yup they changed their minds after the talks fell apart.

Old 07-02-24, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluesix
I wish the younger Sumner from about 1998 could come back and see the mess his daughter has made. It was his greatest fear to see the empire he built slowly destroyed by his family once he handed it over to them. And now we get to watch his daughter do it. I just dont understand her reasoning. It almost seems like she wants these deals to fail until she has to sell everything piecemeal and ruin her father's legacy. I suppose in a way she already has. Horrible family.
Is this... Is this Inception?!
IBJoel (07-09-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.