Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Old show or movie you never watched when released but feel is too dated to enjoy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old show or movie you never watched when released but feel is too dated to enjoy

Old 01-23-24, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

What popular old movie (or tv show) did you not watch during its original release that you think you might enjoy now but may avoid because it is too dated?

I'm thinking of a show or movie that had high viewership when it first came out, but you avoided watching for one reason or another. Now, you think you may have enjoyed the program but can't get yourself to watch it because it may be too dated now. Let's say movies or shows before the year 2000 that you would have been alive to watch during its initial release.

For me, I feel like I may have enjoyed Blade Runner, but now I feel like it's too dated to go back and watch. I'm wanting to watch and may try Northern Exposure, but know if it would be difficult to watch 34 years after it came out.
Old 01-23-24, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts
Re: Old show or movie you never watched when released but feel is too dated to enjoy

I obviously wasn't around during it's initial release but I never watched The Wizard of Oz as a kid and I have zero interest in seeing it as a 47-year-old. I'm aware of so many things about it just through pop culture that it feels like it would be checking off a box more than anything.
Old 01-23-24, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,355 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Re: Old show or movie you never watched when released but feel is too dated to enjoy

Originally Posted by Draven
I obviously wasn't around during it's initial release but I never watched The Wizard of Oz as a kid and I have zero interest in seeing it as a 47-year-old. I'm aware of so many things about it just through pop culture that it feels like it would be checking off a box more than anything.
Wow, you've never seen it? Man, when I was a kid (I'm about nine years older than you) it was broadcast on CBS every year, and my family sat down and watched it every time. I don't know anyone around my age who never saw it on television during that era, I must have seen it well over a dozen times in my life. I bought the Blu-ray when it came out so I could watch it with my kids, and you know what, I still enjoyed the movie, it holds up for me. Maybe give it a shot.
The following 3 users liked this post by cultshock:
Abob Teff (01-23-24), Ash Ketchum (01-23-24), Kurt D (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 491 Likes on 339 Posts

Same here... we watched it every year. I even took my niece to the IMAX 3D showing in 2013. She was 7 or 8 and loved it.
Old 01-23-24, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Wow, you've never seen it? Man, when I was a kid (I'm about nine years older than you) it was broadcast on CBS every year, and my family sat down and watched it every time. I don't know anyone around my age who never saw it on television during that era, I must have seen it well over a dozen times in my life. I bought the Blu-ray when it came out so I could watch it with my kids, and you know what, I still enjoyed the movie, it holds up for me. Maybe give it a shot.
I first saw The Wizard of Oz as a play at the Kennedy Center on a 1st grade class field trip. I enjoyed the play back then, but had no idea at the time that there was even a movie with the same story. I saw the movie on television the next year, but never had any interest in reviewing the movie since then. I don't think I could sit through the first half hour of the movie now.

I think this is more of a chick movie, but even when my daughter was three years old she realized this was a very old movie and had no interest in watching it.
Old 01-23-24, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

I find it difficult to put myself in mindset of "this is how they depicted slavery in a 1939 Hollywood movie" to watch Gone With The Wind. As I'm getting older, I'm starting to think this is one of the big movies in film history I may never get around to seeing.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dukes of Hazzard was a show that was mega popular during its time. I'm sure there were many that avoided watching the show when it was initially aired on television. They would probably have a hard time giving it a try now with how many years have passed and how much has changed since this show came out. It was my favorite show when it came out, but I don't think I could sit through a whole episode much less try to binge watch a handful of episodes.
Old 01-23-24, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

If I avoid a movie or TV show it is because it is something I don't think I'd like. I've yet to come across any of those I've avoided that I'd now consider as my tastes haven't changed. Being "dated" has nothing to do with any of it as I like movies and TV shows from all eras and don't look at *any* of them as being "dated" in a manner that would cause me to not bother watching.
Old 01-23-24, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

For me, older shows just seem like more of a chore to watch due to how long both the seasons and runtimes are. I look at something like MASH, which I was too young to watch when it aired, but have seen an episode or two. It was such a popular show, that I would like to watch it and see what itís about, but thereís just no way Iím sitting through 105 hours of tv to watch one tv series. If it were made today, it would have probably been five seasons of ten one hour episodes, without a lot of filler.

I donít really feel the same about movies. If anything, Iím more likely to find an old movie I havenít seen before than to browse through a streaming service and watch some random movie that will never be thought of again once that streaming service removes it from their platform.
IBJoel (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,057 Likes on 744 Posts

I still remember seeing it, one time, and initially being disappointed because I didn't remember that it was in B&W (well, sepia).

I do watch it again, every few years or so.

I also listened to the soundtrack that included rehearsal versions, quite a bit. Always like the Munchkinland musical sequence with normal voices.

Old 01-23-24, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Not really - we did "Dark Side of the Rainbow" in college but that's only about half the film and I wasn't really paying attention. My parents never made a point to sit down with me and my brother to watch it so we just didn't. We also had all of the cable channels growing up (including HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and The Movie Channel) so we never watched those "Sunday Night Movies" on ABC or whatever - too many other movies to watch. Over time I just....never saw it.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
If I avoid a movie or TV show it is because it is something I don't think I'd like. I've yet to come across any of those I've avoided that I'd now consider as my tastes haven't changed. Being "dated" has nothing to do with any of it as I like movies and TV shows from all eras and don't look at *any* of them as being "dated" in a manner that would cause me to not bother watching.
I tried to show my kids The Goonies and they just didn't care (and my son in particular has enjoyed a lot of the movies from that era that we've watched together). I think it's because they did not grow up riding their bikes around and playing in the woods like we did. And I was the perfect age for that movie to lock in to my brain. My wife and I still quote it today ("Hope it's not a deposit bottle!" anytime something breaks)
Old 01-23-24, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,922 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
For me, I feel like I may have enjoyed Blade Runner, but now I feel like it's too dated to go back and watch.
My kid just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (and now I am) so we watched Blade Runner the other night. It's a fantastic movie, and holds up perfectly. One thing about Ridley is that (even if our tech has advanced past what is depicted in the film) he never skimped on production design or effects, so overall it doesn't look or feel dated in the slightest.

Give it a watch.

Last edited by Kurt D; 01-23-24 at 01:46 PM.
BobO'Link (01-25-24)
Old 01-23-24, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
For me, older shows just seem like more of a chore to watch due to how long both the seasons and runtimes are. I look at something like MASH, which I was too young to watch when it aired, but have seen an episode or two. It was such a popular show, that I would like to watch it and see what itís about, but thereís just no way Iím sitting through 105 hours of tv to watch one tv series. If it were made today, it would have probably been five seasons of ten one hour episodes, without a lot of filler.
Iíve never seen a single episode of any of the Law & Order seriesí.

Iíve gotten tired of network tv police procedurals in general over the last 10-15 years but I canít imagine ever trying to tackle 2,000 damn episodes of these shows!!
Old 01-23-24, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,117 Posts

And for the OP, Blade Runner doesnít feel dates at all to me. Sure, itís got some pacing that is not common today but it holds up better than most older movies, and definitely better than almost all older sci-fi.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
BobO'Link (01-25-24), IBJoel (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,741 Likes on 2,684 Posts

It's not because it's "dated" I simply don't have the time to watch older TV shows that I didn't watch in my youth.

I don't have time to watch 15 seasons of ER, 10 seasons of Friends, Hill Street Blues or St. Elsewhere.
Old 01-23-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 813 Posts

In general, the Sean Connery Bond films are so dated to me. The pacing is slow, the action is weak, the stories are simple-minded.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
Draven (01-23-24), IBJoel (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

MASH. I always knew that as soon as that show started, it was time for bed.
IBJoel (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1,086 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
And for the OP, Blade Runner doesnít feel dates at all to me. Sure, itís got some pacing that is not common today but it holds up better than most older movies, and definitely better than almost all older sci-fi.
I think the way it deals with environamental disaster, corporatism, and artificial intelligence means it's actually gotten better as it aged
Kurt D (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:25 PM
Administrator

For me it's Citizen Kane and Scream. Most of what they pioneered has been now been replicated and parodied to death and real world events have made the events of the films seem quaint. I think they're still well-made, I just can't love them.

Last edited by IBJoel; 01-23-24 at 03:09 PM.
DeFan (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 439 Likes on 319 Posts

Ive always wanted to get into watching some more westerns more specifically Spaghetti Westerns. I've always wanted to watch "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" but knowing its almost three hours I've kind of been afraid it might be too slow to sit through.
IBJoel (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Ive always wanted to get into watching some more westerns more specifically Spaghetti Westerns. I've always wanted to watch "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" but knowing its almost three hours I've kind of been afraid it might be too slow to sit through.
Hour of the Gun
Hell or High Water
The Quick and the Dead
(1995)
Red Sun

Are all westerns I've enjoyed that are under 2hr
Old 01-23-24, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
In general, the Sean Connery Bond films are so dated to me. The pacing is slow, the action is weak, the stories are simple-minded.
And the VFX were pretty bad (especially when they weren't in location they were supposed to be. Like the whole sequence with Goldfinger playing cards at the pool was awful.)
IBJoel (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I've always wanted to watch "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" but knowing its almost three hours I've kind of been afraid it might be too slow to sit through.
Unfortunately, the even LONGER cut is the only version that's being offered in streaming and most physical-releases these days. I didn't mind this version at first, but it's running-time is most certainly felt compared to the original U.S. theatrical cut.
Old 01-23-24, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Interesting, I'm finding that many seemingly "Dated" releases, films in particular, have given me a secondary "Because it's Dated" enjoyment factor. For instance, I've watch "White Christmas" a few times on Netflix over the past few weeks because it just so "1950s". The acting styles, the music, the sets, all very "dated" but not a bad way.
Old 01-23-24, 03:15 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hour of the Gun
Hell or High Water
The Quick and the Dead
(1995)
Red Sun

Are all westerns I've enjoyed that are under 2hr
The Quick and The Dead is kind of the opposite of the OP's post. It was roundly panned when it was released but I watched it for the first time recently and thought it was a lot of fun. I guessing it was originally panned because of Sam Raimi's sense of humor and especially Sharon Stone. It reminds me of a buddy who whenever Kim Basinger 's work is in a discussion sneeringly says Academy Award Winner Kim Basinger.

For the OP's question it's also Citizen Kane for me. I'm aware of its place in film history and Roger Ebert's commentary is great but it's old hat by now.
IBJoel (01-23-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.