Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Norman Jewison director of In the Heat of the Night, Moonstruck, & Fiddler on the Roof dead at 97

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Norman Jewison director of In the Heat of the Night, Moonstruck, & Fiddler on the Roof dead at 97

Old 01-22-24, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 748 Likes on 611 Posts

RIP

A lot of great films in his resume including the Hurricane with Denzel.

Wish we got to see more projects from him in this century but maybe he retired or had health issues.

Oscar-nominated film director and producer Norman Jewison, who steered the 1967 racial drama “In the Heat of the Night” to a best picture Oscar and also helmed such popular films as “Moonstruck,” “The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming” and “The Thomas Crown Affair,” as well as film musicals “Fiddler on the Roof” and “Jesus Christ Superstar,” died Saturday at his Los Angeles residence. He was 97.

His film career began with fluffy Doris Day comedies like “The Thrill of It All.” But Jewison’s social conscience began to surface with “In the Heat of the Night” and, later, the labor union drama “F.I.S.T.” and other films focusing on racial tensions such as “A Soldier’s Story” and “The Landlord” (the latter of which he only produced), though he never abandoned comedies and romances.

Oscar-nominated film director and producer Norman Jewison, who steered the 1967 racial drama “In the Heat of the Night” to a best picture Oscar and also helmed such popular films as “Moonstruck,” “The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming” and “The Thomas Crown Affair,” as well as film musicals “Fiddler on the Roof” and “Jesus Christ Superstar,” died Saturday at his Los Angeles residence. He was 97.

His film career began with fluffy Doris Day comedies like “The Thrill of It All.” But Jewison’s social conscience began to surface with “In the Heat of the Night” and, later, the labor union drama “F.I.S.T.” and other films focusing on racial tensions such as “A Soldier’s Story” and “The Landlord” (the latter of which he only produced), though he never abandoned comedies and romances.

Jewison had his share of box office hits and was usually attuned to the audience pulse, but did not always receive critical accolades for his work. He received seven Oscar nominations but never won a competitive Oscar, though he did receive the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences’ Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award in 1999.
https://variety.com/2024/film/obitua...ht-1235882301/

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 01-22-24 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-22-24, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 808 Posts
Re: Norman Jewison director of In the Heat of the Night, Moonstruck, & Fiddler on the Roof dead at 97

It's tough for me to consider someone a truly great director when they just work in one genre of film over and over and over.
Old 01-22-24, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,276 Likes on 2,106 Posts
Re: Norman Jewison director of In the Heat of the Night, Moonstruck, & Fiddler on the Roof dead at 97

Thatís sad news. I havenít seen all of his movies but Iíve liked what I have seen.

The last movie of his I watched was The Hurricane with Denzel Washington. It was a fantastic too.
Old 01-22-24, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,712 Likes on 2,667 Posts

I’ve only seen a few of his movies.

But, I highly recommend A Soldier’s Story. A very underrated murder mystery. Howard Rollins and Adolph Caesar were both fantastic. And there is a very young Denzel Washington.
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's tough for me to consider someone a truly great director when they just work in one genre of film over and over and over.
Like John Ford and Alfred Hitchcock?
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 741 Posts

WTF?

RIP to a great director.

The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 08:47 PM

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts

How is this describing Norman Jewison? His career spans multiple genres.
Old 01-22-24, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

Yeah, I didn't get the "one genre" reference at all, unless it was sarcastic.

Just got to see Jesus Christ Superstar on the big screen last month, always a favorite of mine. Jewison also directed Rollerball, which is pretty different than anything else out there.
Old 01-22-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 501 Posts

Damn, but that is one hell of a run.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-22-24 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-22-24, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Norman Jewison director of <ifIn the Heat of the Night, Moonstruck, & Fiddler on the Roof dead at 97

Originally Posted by Decker
Like John Ford and Alfred Hitchcock?

Quick Decker, there's a joke. Get it!

Old 01-22-24, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,712 Likes on 2,667 Posts

I remember my Mom renting Agnes of God on VHS when I was a kid. But, I was way too young to really comprehend any of it, so I don't recall anything about it. I think it was a religious murder mystery.

I think the only movie that I own from his catalog is The Hurricane on DVD.
Old 01-22-24, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
How is this describing Norman Jewison? His career spans multiple genres.

Old 01-22-24, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts

I only first watched Fiddler on the Roof last year. What a masterpiece.

RIP
The following users liked this post:
andicus (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Wow, RIP to a great director.
Old 01-22-24, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

F.I.S.T. is pretty good even thought it was compromised by the studio. The KINO BD is excellent.
Old 01-23-24, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 646 Likes on 476 Posts

Ninety-seven's a good age to get to. He was interviewed on CBC radio back late last year for something unrelated to his career and more about filmmaking in general, but he sounded as sharp as ever.

And, while the Variety obit quietly touches on where he's really from, I'll just add as a fellow Canadian (and Torontonian): you're welcome America!

In a related bit of history (also touched on in most of the obits), he was the founder of the Canadian Film Center, which is just a couple of blocks away from me (although my only visits have been during their occasional participation in the annual 'Doors Open' events here):
https://cfccreates.com
https://cfccreates.com/about/norman-jewison/

Old 01-23-24, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

While I've always liked IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, my favorite film of his will always be THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING (1966).
Old 01-24-24, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

The other movie I'm not seeing mentioned much in the memorials is ....and Justice For All.

Who among us has not said "I'm out of order? YOU'RE out of order!" at least once? (although hopefully not in an actual court at an actual judge)
Old 03-05-24, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 646 Likes on 476 Posts

Jewisonís downtown Toronto office/pad just went on the market in case anyone here has a few million to spare :

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/...orman-jewison/