Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Apprentice - Donald Trump Biopic S : Sebastian Stan, J. Strong, M. Bakalova

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-29-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,915 Likes on 4,038 Posts

From Deadline :Here’s one you probably didn’t see coming: Sebastian Stan, the Emmy and Golden Globe nominee known for his work in the MCU and the acclaimed Hulu miniseries Pam & Tommy, has been tapped for the role of a young Donald Trump in The Apprentice, a new film from Cannes prize-winning Iranian filmmaker Ali Abbasi (Holy Spider).

Also aboard the film in major roles are Emmy and Golden Globe winner Jeremy Strong (Succession) and Oscar nominee Maria Bakalova (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3). Production commenced this week.
Old 11-30-23, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Re: The Apprentice - Donald Trump Biopic S : Sebastian Stan, J. Strong, M. Bakalova

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Brian T (11-30-23), miller_time22 (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: The Apprentice - Donald Trump Biopic S : Sebastian Stan, J. Strong, M. Bakalova

Uggh, I pass can't stand this orange shit stain.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by dom56
Uggh, I pass can't stand this orange shit stain.
I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a glamorous flattering portrayal.
Old 11-30-23, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Why the hell would Sebastian Stan take this job?

Any big studio who touches this would be insane. Most likely this will be a small Indie film.
Old 11-30-23, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 585 Likes on 450 Posts

So is this going to be a satirical comedy?
Old 11-30-23, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Why is this being called The Apprentice?

Since that was the title of his gameshow, it makes me think this going to an authorized, fawning piece since using that title would probably trigger trademark infringement and contract clauses if it wasn't.
Old 11-30-23, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 838 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Any big studio who touches this would be insane. Most likely this will be a small Indie film.
First thing I thought of when I saw the announcement. LOL at Bakalova being cast for a movie about Trump though. Will she just play herself, reenacting her....scene with Rudy?

Also, we all know Alec Baldwin is the only person who should get the role.
Old 11-30-23, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Why is this being called The Apprentice?

Since that was the title of his gameshow, it makes me think this going to an authorized, fawning piece since using that title would probably trigger trademark infringement and contract clauses if it wasn't.
Relax, it absolutely isn't.

From The Guardian

Donald Trump biopic: Sebastian Stan, Jeremy Strong and Maria Bakalova cast in The Apprentice

Stan, who recently played Tommy Lee in Pam & Tommy, will play the former US president in new film, joined by Strong as Roy Cohn and Bakalova as Ivana Trump

Michael Sun

Marvel star Sebastian Stan will play Donald Trump in an upcoming biopic, to be joined by Succession’s Jeremy Strong and Oscar nominee Maria Bakalova in leading roles.

Directed by Iranian film-maker Ali Abbasi, The Apprentice, which commenced production this week, is billed as an exploration of power and ambition in a world of corruption and deceit.

It is set in the 1970s and 80s and follows the former US president’s journey to becoming a New York real estate tycoon, alongside his relationship with Roy Cohn – the notorious attorney who became a mentor to Trump, and was later disbarred for unethical conduct.

The film’s logline describes it as “a mentor-protege story that charts the origins of an American dynasty” and “reveals the moral and human cost of a culture defined by winners and losers”.

Stan – best known for his role as a Captain America sidekick, as well as his Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated turn as Tommy Lee in the miniseries Pam & Tommy – will play a young Trump.

Strong has been cast as Cohn, Deadline reports. Bakalova – who broke out as Borat’s daughter in 2020’s Borat Subsequent Moviefilm – will play Trump’s first wife, Ivana.

Abbasi’s 2022 thriller Holy Spider was recently submitted as Denmark’s entry for best international feature film at the Oscars. Abbasi also helmed the last two episodes of acclaimed video game adaptation The Last of Us.

The film’s writer is journalist and author Gabriel Sherman, whose book The Loudest Voice in the Room – a biography of Fox News founder Roger Ailes – was adapted into the 2019 Showtime miniseries The Loudest Voice, starring Russell Crowe as Ailes.
Old 11-30-23, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I know Sebastian Stan isn't an A or even B list star and the strike hurt a lot of actors financially. But, if this was the best gig his agent could get him post-strike, then he needs a new agent.
Old 11-30-23, 04:00 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

This had a SAG waiver and would've filmed regardless of the strike. Abbasi is an acclaimed filmmaker and plenty of actors play unlikeable and detestable real life people.
Old 11-30-23, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
This had a SAG waiver and would've filmed regardless of the strike. Abbasi is an acclaimed filmmaker and plenty of actors play unlikeable and detestable real life people.
But usually not in the middle of that person being awful. Generally it would be much later when they're dead or out of public eye.
Old 11-30-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

I know Sebastian Stan isn't an A or even B list star and the strike hurt a lot of actors financially. But, if this was the best gig his agent could get him post-strike, then he needs a new agent.
A little confused on the dramatics here. He'll be working with an extremely well respected director and playing a historical figure, no matter what people may think of Trump. Starring in Vice didn't seem to hurt Christian Bale. Brolin did fine after W. It's not like this is being directed by D'Souza.
Old 11-30-23, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm guessing this will be a story based around the business. Similar to Air, BlackBerry, etc.

If they want, they're going to be able to really dig at portraying his unethical dealings (unpaid contractors, debt shuffling). I wonder who will be cast as Jeffrey Epstein.

It's good material. Might land everyone in prison when Trump is elected next year. But I'm optimistic it'll be a good movie about business.
Old 11-30-23, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
But usually not in the middle of that person being awful. Generally it would be much later when they're dead or out of public eye.
W. came out in 2008. The Comey Rule series with Brendan Gleeson as Trump came out in 2020.

I'm not really sure why it matters.
Old 11-30-23, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by clckworang
A little confused on the dramatics here. He'll be working with an extremely well respected director and playing a historical figure, no matter what people may think of Trump. Starring in Vice didn't seem to hurt Christian Bale. Brolin did fine after W. It's not like this is being directed by D'Souza.
Maybe I am overreacting a little. But IMO the name and anything associated with the name is toxic. Cheney and GWB may have been ridiculed during their time in office, but were never toxic public figures.
Old 11-30-23, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Pass...I refuse to watch ANY Trump bio's or movies. I can't stand the sight and sound of him. Fuck that. .
The following 3 users liked this post by mickey65:
Abob Teff (11-30-23), Daytripper (12-06-23), DeFan (12-01-23)
Old 11-30-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
W. came out in 2008. The Comey Rule series with Brendan Gleeson as Trump came out in 2020.

I'm not really sure why it matters.
Vice came out in 2018 and was nominated for eight Oscars.
Old 11-30-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts

Brendan Gleeson played Trump not that long ago.
Old 11-30-23, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vice came out in 2018 and was nominated for eight Oscars.
Right. 9 years after he left office. I can't imagine the film would have been welcomed if it was made while he was still causing war in Iraq.
Old 11-30-23, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe I am overreacting a little. But IMO the name and anything associated with the name is toxic. Cheney and GWB may have been ridiculed during their time in office, but were never toxic public figures.
I think a good argument could be made for both of them to be considered toxic public figures, especially Cheney.
Old 11-30-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right. 9 years after he left office. I can't imagine the film would have been welcomed if it was made while he was still causing war in Iraq.
Trump is currently president? And this movie is about events in the 1980s, so that's not really the same thing either.
Old 11-30-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump is currently president? And this movie is about events in the 1980s, so that's not really the same thing either.
He certainly could be when this movie hits theaters.
Old 11-30-23, 04:27 PM

I still don't see the difference whether it comes out tomorrow or 10 years from now.
Old 11-30-23, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 918 Likes on 564 Posts

Cool thing about this is it won't be his penis that talks to him...it will be his asshole.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.