Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Older movies you wish you could experience with an audience during their original theatrical release?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Older movies you wish you could experience with an audience during their original theatrical release?

Old 11-24-23, 01:59 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I always thought it would have been interesting to see 1939's The Wizard Of Oz with an audience during its original theatrical release. What older movies do you wish you could have seen with an audience during the movie's original theatrical release? Thanks to anyone that replies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sub-Zero:
andicus (11-24-23), story (11-25-23)
Old 11-24-23, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Older movies you wish you could experience with an audience during their original theatrical release?

Psycho
The following 2 users liked this post by Vipper II:
ftsoh (11-24-23), story (11-25-23)
Old 11-24-23, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Older movies you wish you could experience with an audience during their original theatrical release?

Dante's Inferno (1911)
Phantom of The Opera (1925)
Freaks
King Kong
Tarzan and His Mate
Alexander Nevsky
Fantasia
Sunset Blvd
Hara-kiri
Psycho
Persona (Even though I love more Bergman films than this one, I would just LOVE to see this on the big screen)
Shock Corridor
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
Black Sabbath
The Battle of Algiers
The Color of Pomegranates
What's Up, Tiger Lily?
Once Upon a Time in The West
2001: A Space Odyssey
The following users liked this post:
William Fuld (11-24-23)
Old 11-24-23, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,920 Likes on 1,280 Posts

The Exorcist for sure
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
ftsoh (11-24-23), PhantomStranger (11-25-23)
Old 11-24-23, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

Frankenstein
Diabolique
Psycho
8 1/2
Night of the Living Dead
2001: A Spaced Odyssey
Sleuth (to see if they rolled their eyes as hard as I did)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Star Wars
Old 11-24-23, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 438 Likes on 318 Posts

The Original Star Wars Trilogy
Alien & Aliens
Lawrence of Arabia
Ghostbusters

Any of the trash exploitation movies playing on 42nd Street in New York City. I wish i knew what that experience was like.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 11-25-23 at 12:11 PM.
Ash Ketchum (11-24-23)
Old 11-24-23, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Any of the trash exploitation movies playing on 42nd Street in New York. I wish i knew what that experience was like.
I got to see ENTER THE DRAGON on the Deuce and Chuck Norris' INVASION U.S.A. as well. Great times.
Bluelitespecial (11-25-23)
Old 11-24-23, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Star Wars
Ghostbusters
Old 11-24-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,738 Likes on 2,683 Posts

I would have loved to have seen Missing in Action (1984) and The Delta Force (1986) in the theater.

But, I was just a kid and in no position to go to them back then. Had no money and couldn't drive. So had to wait until VHS. The vast majority of my movie watching when I was growing up was on home video. I was at the mercy of whether my Mom felt like driving me to the video store.
Old 11-24-23, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,945 Posts

Alien
Halloween
2001 A Space Odyssey
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Psycho
Star Wars OT
Do the Right Thing
The Thing (Carpenter)
Jaws
Deliverance
The Exorcist
The Shining

One cool thing about these old movies is that they came out pre-internet, and almost everyone who bought a ticket walked into the theater cold, not knowing what to expect. So most people watching Alien were really shocked by the chest-burster scene that we've all seen dozens of times.

I saw the Star Wars OT when I was really, really young and all I remember for the first one was that the theater was filled to capacity; every seat was filled. I don't remember anything about the audiences reactions.

Really, the only audience reaction I remember from any older movie is ET, when everyone in the audience roared with laughter for the "penis breath" line. I would assume that everyone in the theater had already seen the movie except for me because their reaction started before he said it like they were anticipating it.

Old 11-24-23, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Jaws
Old 11-25-23, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 340 Likes on 259 Posts

I at least walked past a theater during the day which wasn't open til later in the evening that was playing The Shining. I later worked at that theater the very last night it was open (showing the Oscars reissue of Saving Private Ryan.)

Would've sorta liked to have seen Last American Virgin during its first release or been working in the lobby as people came out reacting to the ending.
Old 11-25-23, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

The original Star Wars would have been great but I think comedies are the best when everybody in the audience is really into it. Maybe Blazing Saddles, Airplane or Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Dan1boy (11-25-23)
Old 11-25-23, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Most of these movies I actually saw during their original theatrical run. So I have to go with movies older than me:

Gone with the Wind
Wizard of Oz
Dimension X (11-25-23)
Old 11-25-23, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Wizard of Oz was my first thought. But also, Frankenstein, King Kong (1933), Psycho and the original Planet of the Apes.

I was lucky enough seeing a lot of the newer films mentioned during their original theatrical release, including the big one, Star Wars, that was an amazing experience, I feel bad for fans that weren't able to see it back in 1977. I would have liked to see John Carpenter's The Thing and Amercian Werewolf in London but I was too young. My dad went to see those though, and when he came home he was raving to me about how crazy the special effects were and said the audience was going nuts. He also saw Blood Feast in the theater during it's original theatrical run, he took my mom to it as well when they were still just dating and said she was covering her eyes during most of it. I'm lucky that she still agreed to date him after being dragged to that one (I know that it looks super cheesy now, but this was back in 1963).
The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
Dimension X (11-25-23), Kurt D (11-25-23)
Old 11-25-23, 01:52 PM

The Arrival of a Train
The following 3 users liked this post by Kurt D:
cultshock (11-26-23), DeFan (11-26-23), ntnon (11-27-23)
Old 11-25-23, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,168 Posts

During the original run while being from that time or...during the original run having a 2023 lens and knowledge? Because that would change things....a lot.

Kurt D (11-25-23)
Old 11-25-23, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
During the original run while being from that time or...during the original run having a 2023 lens and knowledge? Because that would change things....a lot.
Original run while being from that time, while still being 'me'. I love scary movies so thinking I was about to be crushed by a train would be dope!
ntnon (11-27-23)
Old 11-25-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,301 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
The Arrival of a Train
L. Ron watching in a crowded theater…

Old 11-25-23, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
L. Ron watching in a crowded theater…

Old 11-25-23, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,738 Likes on 2,683 Posts

yeah good point. I've seen theatrical re-releases of Star Trek IV, The Godfather and Ghostbusters in the last few years and it's definitely different having seen them many times already.

So I would definitely say seeing them with "fresh eyes" in that era makes more sense.
Old 11-25-23, 04:18 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 256 Posts

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes, The Exorcist, Alien, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, and The Black Hole in their original theatrical run, they were all great.

I think it would've been eventful to see Blade Runner, The Matrix, and Interstellar in their original theatrical run.
Old 11-25-23, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,945 Posts

Yeah, those would two very interesting experiences.

Like, it would be awesome to be able to watch Alien in a packed theater and not know what was coming next. And it would also be interesting to be watching Alien in that same theater knowing everything that was coming and watching the audience react to it.

I have also long thought it would be interesting to show modern movies like Star Wars, Alien, or Lord of the Rings to older audiences. How would a 1950s audience react to Alien, Star Wars, or LOTR? How would a 1930s audience, accustomed to Lugosi's Dracula or Karloff's Frankenstein, react to NOTLD, TCM, Halloween, The Shining, or The Exorcist?

Or your grandparents going to Last Tango in Paris or Fifty Shades of Gray for their first date in 1941?
Old 11-25-23, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

If I can time travel, but all I'm allowed to do while in the past is watch a movie, I might as well make the most of it, so I'll go with watching Manhattan Melodrama at the Biograph Theater in Chicago on June 22, 1934 (paired with watching Dillinger being shot down outside as the B feature).

If the rules are that I can't leave the theater, then maybe catch the double feature of Cry of Battle and War is Hell at the Texas Theater in Dallas on November 22, 1963... but watching Lee Harvey Oswald get arrested doesn't really sound all that exciting. Plus, I think he came in (and was subsequently arrested) during the movie, and that's just rude.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-25-23 at 05:28 PM.
Mondo Kane (11-25-23)
Old 11-25-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 212 Posts

Since Alien was mentioned a few times, here are some out of the theater reactions.

Kurt D (11-26-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.