Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Marvels?
2.63%
5.26%
23.68%
18.42%
26.32%
5.26%
10.53%
0%
7.89%
0%
0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 02-10-24, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts
Re: The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I think the problem is that we're seeing "Marvel fatigue" setting in both the audience and on the production side.

The Marvel brand itself has been losing its appeal to audiences, probably with the loss of so many A-list characters and Disney's spotty ability to elevate new characters to the same level as Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and Black Widow. Also doesn't help that they're replacing the aforementioned characters with watered-down replacements.

And on the production side, it's seems like they're getting lazy and churning out poorly-developed, half-assed products to both the theaters and onto Disney+.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I just get tired of hearing the whiners when a movie tanks that was directed, written and/or stars women blaming incels living in their parent's basement. It is such a lame excuse instead of actually pointing the blame where it is deserved...a sub-par effort in moviemaking. It is almost like if there are women stars, directors or writers, and it fails, you can't criticize them at all. They can't shoulder any blame for a movie being crappy.

Barbie was successful because it was a good movie and had a good story. I wasn't a massive fan of it because it isn't my thing, but I could at least acknowledge the acting, story, music, direction, etc. was all well done. And guess what...despite the random incels whining from their parent's basement as they usually do...it did well. Massively well. Why you ask? Because it was a well-made movie. Hell, the worst part of that movie was Will Ferrell, who is a white male...but I digress.

I agree it is more complex. But let's also make that same point to the whiny men and women who want to blame a non-player in whether a movie tanks or not. It just gets old and make the whiner look foolish.
Alright, I acknowledge that I may have touched a nerve with you and my comment was probably hyperbolic. I wasn't trying to be a whiner that a movie I liked bombed and threw out ridiculous excuses for it.

While I didn't think The Marvels was terrible as some reviewers said it is. I accept that it wasn't great or even close to being top tier product from Marvel.

I think this movie had a number of factors going against it (I'm trying to be more practical here)

The strikes

Coming out 4 years after the 1st movie

An exorbitant production budget. And a story that wasn't great.

Being tied into Disney+ shows that many probably didn't watch. No one wants to play "catch up" to watch a theatrical movie.

and also coming out when Marvel and a lot of comic IPs were in a downward spiral creatively. The term "Comic book fatigue" gets used a lot. But, I'm assuming it's more mediocrity fatigue. People get upset spending lots of money and devoting a lot of their time and day on movies that aren't great and I know it stings and a lot feel they're wasting time.

Maybe the Marvels would have done better if it came out sooner and was a straight up sequel to the 1st movie and not an ensemble movie tied into 2 TV shows. We'll never know.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-10-24 at 01:42 PM.
Spiderbite (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

I wasn't targeting you DJariya. I was just trying to point out how so many people don't seem to want to look at the big picture on this stuff and seem to want to narrow it down to such a non-entity that actual criticism of the problems with the Marvel productions cannot be discussed.

Plus, I don't like giving any credence that these fuckwad incels have any power to tank any of these movies or series. They are a loud minority that in the end control nothing. I don't like for them to even think they actually have an impact. I think the success of Barbie burst their bubble big time, which I was quite happy to see.
DJariya (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I just get tired of hearing the whiners when a movie tanks that was directed, written and/or stars women blaming incels living in their parent's basement. It is such a lame excuse instead of actually pointing the blame where it is deserved...a sub-par effort in moviemaking. It is almost like if there are women stars, directors or writers, and it fails, you can't criticize them at all. They can't shoulder any blame for a movie being crappy.
Well I am coming for a position of loving The Marvels. I saw it twice in the theater and bought the digital copy the day it came out. Captain Marvel is my favorite of the post-Endgame characters and Kamala Khan is a close second. This movie was just plain fun for me.

While I do think there was an element of "that's a girl's movie" at play here, it is far more obvious when looking at things like the Ghostbusters reboot, where there are clear efforts being made to tank review scores and overwhelm trailers with "thumbs down" and negative comments from small-minded "men" on the internet. It does not take much looking for find unjustified criticism of these female-led projects.
Meathead (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Well I am coming for a position of loving The Marvels. I saw it twice in the theater and bought the digital copy the day it came out. Captain Marvel is my favorite of the post-Endgame characters and Kamala Khan is a close second. This movie was just plain fun for me.

While I do think there was an element of "that's a girl's movie" at play here, it is far more obvious when looking at things like the Ghostbusters reboot, where there are clear efforts being made to tank review scores and overwhelm trailers with "thumbs down" and negative comments from small-minded "men" on the internet. It does not take much looking for find unjustified criticism of these female-led projects.
I understand they do that. Not to keep hammering the point home but they just don't have that kind of power to tank a good movie.

That being said, I am out. Glad you liked the movie. I personally hope Marvel/Disney strives to do better movies than The Marvels in the future.
Old 02-10-24, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,095 Likes on 764 Posts

Yeesh. I thought this was borderline incoherent. Marvel clearly knew this wasn't working and hacked it to the bone with the hope that a super short run time and Iman Vellani's copious charm would be enough to distract audiences from the fact that there's barely even a story being told. There are a couple of sequences that are kind of neat, but that's about the best I can say.
Old 02-10-24, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing is, we're sort of stuck in this post-gamergate culture war and whenever some big genre movie shits the bed -- creatively and/or financially -- you get all of these assholes screaming WOKE! WOKE! WOKE! GET WOKE GO BROKE! and blame women, minorities, and studio executives with agendas. And then the people on the other side feel like they can't admit that, yes, it was a shitty movie, or even criticize the movie at all. And everything just becomes this big culture war football everyone's fighting for possession over.

Old 02-11-24, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 70 Posts

Finally saw it, loved it. Especially excited to finally see X-Men proper introduced. Hopefully they have a surprise movie in the works as I feel that would really get excitement back up for Marvel movies.
The following 2 users liked this post by beavis69:
Draven (02-11-24), Goldberg74 (02-11-24)
Old 02-12-24, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Being tied into Disney+ shows that many probably didn't watch. No one wants to play "catch up" to watch a theatrical movie.
I saw someone online point out that no one seems to be criticizing Deadpool and Wolverine for prominently featuring the TVA from Loki.
Old 02-12-24, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts

Thatís a fair point.
Draven (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts

I loved the dynamics between the three women and the entangling gimmick was pretty fun. A shame such a strong cast of women was stranded by a meandering and dull plot, the blandest villain the MCU has had to date, and some cringe bad humour tries like the singing planet and the flerkin overuse. Iíd have rather watched 90 mins of Carol, Kamala and Monica just hanging out instead of what we got.
DJariya (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I saw someone online point out that no one seems to be criticizing Deadpool and Wolverine for prominently featuring the TVA from Loki.
Because the trailer featured TVA characters not from the show. Something tells me you'll be able to go into DP&W without ever even having seen DP or DP2, or even Loki. Although previous knowledge will likely enhance the experience, I don't expect it to be a prerequisite.
DJariya (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts

Deadpool and Wolverine is going to be the most meta film since Endgame, possibly the most meta film ever. I cant imagine it being less confusing walking into it with no previous knowledge than it would be The Marvels.
Draven (02-13-24)
Old 02-13-24, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

I, as always, blame Feige and higher for issues with the filmmaking. The directors are mostly only there to direct dialogue and all the major setpieces are pre-vizzed and out of the director's control entirely (as is the story and script). Feige hires talent to generate buzz and placate various factions in the audience and corporate. I'm not kidding when I say these things are literally getting cranked out on an algorithmic assemblyline.

The general audience is seeing through that now and people who want geniunely diverse stories don't appreciate the not-even-lip-service attempts at doing that.
Spiderbite (02-13-24)
Old 02-18-24, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 394 Likes on 300 Posts

Watched on Disney+
  • I'll give it a D+ grade. I like the characters, but some of the execution was embarrassing.
  • Still think Iman Vellani (Ms Marvel) does a great job with her character. I enjoyed the Ms Marvel series.
  • Brie Larson is ok. Doesn't seem like she's enjoying doing these movies anymore.
  • The villain was ok and I liked her motive (stealing resources).
  • Credit scene was a great surprise.

The singing colony was atrocious. Worst scene in MCU history. No contest. And the herding cats scene was awful. I can't believe real writers wrote that stuff, and were probably proud of it. Yikes. I would be ashamed of myself and keep that off my resume.

Old 03-03-24, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 566 Posts

I tried watching this on D+ the other day. I didn't make it past 21 minutes. Right from the start it felt like someone took a chainsaw to three different TV pilots and then stitched them together with shoestring and tape. I have never witnessed something so disjointed that wasn't The Room. (But at least that was amusingly incompetent.) I might try to trudge my way through the rest at a later date, but if the rest of the movie is like what I already watched, I am surprised Nia Dacosta didn't try to have it credited to Alan Smithee. Because I seriously doubt this represents anything close to her (or any singular individual's) vision.
Old 03-04-24, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
The singing colony was atrocious. Worst scene in MCU history. No contest. And the herding cats scene was awful. I can't believe real writers wrote that stuff, and were probably proud of it. Yikes. I would be ashamed of myself and keep that off my resume.
I thought that the cat scene, set to "Memory" from Cats, was kind of funny but it was wholly inappropriate for the movie.

And, yeah, that singing planet was terrible, too.

Both scenes were cringey as fuck, and I'm baffled how they not only got past the scripting stage and were actually filmed, but made it into the final cut.

Old 03-04-24, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Both of those scenes were highlights for me - the singing planet was funny and an interesting take on an alien race that I've never seen before and the cats scene was just flat-out funny, especially since Goose was such a big part of Captain Marvel.
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
IBJoel (03-04-24), Kurt D (03-04-24), Meathead (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I, too, liked both scenes but I could see why people didn't like them, particularly since none of the commercials really presented this as anything more than a typical buddy up superhero film. And I also agree that the beginning was disorienting and disjointed... I realize that kind of mirrors what the three were going through but it did seem more to me like they recut that and that wasn't the original idea, because why would you start like that?
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
Draven (03-04-24), IBJoel (03-04-24), Kurt D (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

The Flerken kittens scene is one of the funniest things I've seen on film in a long time. I was laughing (almost) uncontrollably in the theaters and still laugh every time I've rewatched The Marvels.
Draven (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I, too, liked both scenes but I could see why people didn't like them, particularly since none of the commercials really presented this as anything more than a typical buddy up superhero film. And I also agree that the beginning was disorienting and disjointed... I realize that kind of mirrors what the three were going through but it did seem more to me like they recut that and that wasn't the original idea, because why would you start like that?
Do you mean the power switching? I actually liked that too - as it was a visually interesting and creative way to bring three people together who would otherwise have no reason to meet one another, let alone work together. It tied the three together, which totally worked for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Bandoman (03-04-24), Meathead (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,084 Likes on 668 Posts

I watched this recently and thought it was just kind of meh overall. I liked the first Captain Marvel movie a good bit, and I also liked the Ms. Marvel series. I think Ms. Marvel was maybe my favorite part of this movie. I didn't care for the Rambeau character. I thought the singing planet was just terrible and cringey and not funny at all. The cats scene was stupid but kinda funny.