Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

They Follow (It Follows 2) (D: Mitchell) S: Monroe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-30-23, 02:29 PM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Just announced from Neon:

It’s everywhere.
THEY FOLLOW.
The long-awaited sequel to the modern horror classic IT FOLLOWS from David Robert Mitchell.
Coming soon.

David Robert Mitchell and Maika Monroe are reuniting on “They Follow,” a sequel to the 2014 cult horror hit, “It Follows.” Neon, the Oscar-winning studio behind “Parasite,” will co-produce the movie and release it domestically. The studio will introduce it to international buyers at this year’s American Film Market. Principal photography is set for 2024.

Mitchell returns as both writer and director for the sequel. Monroe will reprise her lead role of Jay Height from “It Follows.” The sequel reunites the filmmaking team with Neon CEO Tom Quinn. The indie executive’s previous company, Radius, released “It Follows” in theaters, where it grossed an impressive $15 million domestically on a shoe-string budget.

Good Fear Content will co-produce with Neon. Mitchell serves as a producer with Jake Weiner and Chris Bender of Good Fear Content, along with the original producers of “It Follows,” David Kaplan, Erik Rommesmo, Rebecca Green and Laura Smith.

Mitchell’s first film was the coming-of-age drama “The Myth of the American Sleepover.” In 2018, he wrote, produced and directed “Under the Silver Lake,” a darkly comic mystery that starred Andrew Garfield and Riley Keough. It debuted at Cannes. He is currently in development on a Warner Bros. and Bad Robot project with Anne Hathaway that is untitled.

Monroe recently wrapped production on Oz Perkins’ “Longlegs,” which co-stars Nicolas Cage. Neon will release that film in 2024. She previously featured in Neil Jordan’s “Greta,” as well as appeared in “Honey Boy” and “Hot Summer Nights.”

Neon’s upcoming releases include Michael Mann’s “Ferrari,” which stars Adam Driver and Penelope Cruz, and Alice Rohrwacher’s “La Chimera,” which features Josh O’Connor. It recently released the Palme d’Or winner Justine Triet’s “Anatomy of a Fall,” which is expected to be an Oscars contender.

CAA Media Finance brokered the “They Follow” deal with Neon. Mitchell is represented by CAA, Good Fear Content and David Fox at Myman Greenspan Fineman Fox Rosenberg & Light. Monroe is represented by WME and Entertainment360. The producers are represented by Hayden Godlblatt of FKKS, Allison Binder of GGSSC and Michael Weiss of Concentric Law.
https://variety.com/2023/film/market...on-1235773394/
Old 10-30-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 437 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: They Follow (It Follows 2) (D: Mitchell) S: Monroe

I hope they bring back the same composer for the music.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluelitespecial:
majorjoe23 (10-30-23), Rival11 (10-31-23)
Old 10-30-23, 02:42 PM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I hope they bring back the same composer for the music.
Yes, Disasterpeace is a must.
The following users liked this post:
Bluelitespecial (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 929 Likes on 657 Posts

I'm not much of a horror movie guy (despite Stephen King being my favorite author) but It Follows is probably my favorite horror flick of the last decade. Just pure brilliance beginning to end. And yeah, that score is a masterpiece and part of the reason why the movie works so well. The level of constant dread is just masterfully played. It's build up and build up and tension and more tension until you're just begging for a release of some kind. I can't say enough how much I love this flick.

I'm not sure a sequel will add much or come close to the original but I'll hold out a little optimism for it.
Old 10-31-23, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 133 Posts

The first was a flick that I thought was just ok after my first watch then after some time I kept thinking about and wanted to re-watch it and now it's one of my all time favs. I liked that the "It" can be anybody (including their dead father during the pool scene - the whole "I don't want to tell you" line was a clue - you can find the other clue in the film as well).

I recently got my answer to that clam shell reader you see the one girl use multiple times in the film. The film supposedly takes place during a time where cell phone are not around yet she's using that thing (which was custom made for the film) and it has a wifi signal. The director said this was all intentional as he wanted the film to feel like a dream and you're not quite sure where you're at (cars were from the 70's and 80's as well although that's not really that noticeable as every generation drives cars from the previous decade).

Also, the director really did want to provide more detail as to why the events were occurring and I can't remember why he didn't (maybe he didn't want to cut anything?) but obviously he will include that in the sequel.

Can't wait for this one.
Old 10-31-23, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 929 Likes on 657 Posts

I think more exposition and back story would have slowed down the tension buildup.