Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sicario 3 - news, rumors

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sicario 3 - news, rumors

Old 10-30-23, 01:45 PM

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts
Sicario 3 - news, rumors

This has been talked about for years, but stalled with COVD, the strikes, etc. It looks like there is some movement again...

Sicario 3 is in the works and producers hope to bring back Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, and Benicio Del Toro.

Benicio Del Toro is the most involved with Sicario 3 at the moment, but the main trio is excited about the story.
Aligning the shooting schedules of the three main stars may be a challenge, particularly for Emily Blunt and Josh Brolin.

For Sicario fans, just discovering that a Sicario 3 is in the works would be good enough news, but franchise producers Molly Smith and Trent Luckinbill had more to add as they spoke to Collider to promote their Netflix film Reptile in a new interview. The duo revealed that they plan to bring Emily Blunt (Oppenheimer), Josh Brolin (Avengers: Endgame), and Benicio Del Toro (Reptile) back. Blunt's return is especially more interesting since her character was nowhere to be seen in Sicario: Day of the Soldado.

Smith and Luckinbill revealed to our Editor-in-Chief Steve Weintraub that, at the moment, Del Toro is the one who's most involved with Sicario 3 because they spent quite a bit of time talking about it while working on Reptile. However, this doesn't mean that Blunt and Brolin are kept out of the loop. Smith confirmed that the main trio is on board and they all want to return to wrap this section of the story:

"Our idea is to get the cast back together with Benicio, Emily, and Josh, and we’ve got a great story to tell...Benicio, by nature of just working with us most recently, has been probably the closest to it at the moment. But we're keeping all the talent informed. They've stayed close to it. Like Trent said, the strike has just slowed us down a bit on this last draft, but I think everybody is very excited. Everyone sort of knows the framework of the story and is very excited to, hopefully, get our shooting draft in order very soon."

One thing that could be a problem with Sicario 3 is aligning the shooting schedules of its three main stars. Blunt is a blockbuster regular, which means it could be difficult to squeeze in Sicario 3. Brolin is the lead on the Apple TV+ series Outer Range, which also takes quite a bit of his time. However, if the trio is involved and willing to return, chances are the production team will find a way to make it work. That said, the actors' strike is still ongoing, which means that the cameras certainly won't start rolling until SAG-AFTRA manages to reach a fair deal with the AMPTP.
https://collider.com/sicario-3-emily...ucer-comments/

The producers of Sicario 3 have not yet determined who will direct the film, but they assure that the best people will be involved in its production.

Taylor Sheridan, who was involved in the first Sicario film, is currently busy with the Yellowstone universe and may not have the time to direct or write for Sicario 3, but is involved as a partner as is Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning director Christopher McQuarrie.

The script for Sicario 3 is almost complete.

Denis Villeneuve (Dune: Part Two). Taylor Sheridan (Yellowstone universe). Stefano Sollima (Without Remorse). These are just three names that have made the Sicario film series what it is, with its two entries — and especially the first — widely acclaimed by critics all over the world. For Sicario 3, it seems like the franchise will go bigger. Or at least that's what the names involved in the production suggest. During an interview with Collider to promote their new movie Reptile, producers Molly Smith and Trent Luckinbill talked to Editor-in-Chief Steve Weintraub and commented on who might take the reins of the Sicario franchise.

One thing that Smith and Luckinbill made clear is that it's still early to tell who's going to sit on the director's chair. In fact, the plot of Sicario 3 is still kept under wraps — since the script is close to finished, but they didn't disclose who's writing it. However, when it comes to the names involved in some capacity with the sequel, it's safe to say that Sicario 3 will have the best people looking over it, starting with Mission: Impossible director and writer Christopher McQuarrie, as Smith comments:

"But we don't know who's going to direct yet. It’s all gonna be about timing. We've got obviously a wealth of great partners on it, everybody from Taylor Sheridan to Chris McQuarrie as a partner on it, but it'll all be about the timing and what aligns with everyone's schedule."

Christopher McQuarrie’s name has not been previously linked to the Sicario sequel. Obviously, he’s quite busy with the next Mission: Impossible movie, but if the production is willing to wait, he’d be an amazing choice for writing and directing the third Sicario movie.

The duo of producers also commented on how Taylor Sheridan has come such a long way since the first Sicario premiered in 2015. The Academy Award nominee is now also an accomplished director, but the main problem (schedule-wise) is that he's got his hands full with the Yellowstone universe, which has spawned several spin-offs and is about to get a follow-up series starring Matthew McConaughey (Interstellar).

Luckinbill commented that, as close as Sheridan is to the Sicario franchise, the issue is that he's just too busy right now. However, the producer guaranteed that Sheridan stays close to the project and offers input on it. If the stars align, he may even end up writing again:

"He is so busy, and he stays close to it, and will obviously have input, too. Then it's just a question of when we get schedules lined up and all of that starting to have real conversations to see who's available and who wants to do it. So certainly, I think everybody that's ever been involved with this has stayed really close and has stayed fans of it. So, we'll just push forward and see what lines up and who lines up in our window."
https://collider.com/sicario-3-chris...ucer-comments/
Old 10-30-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 746 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: Sicario 3 - news, rumors

Interesting to bring Blunt back. I know she was supposed to have been in Soldado. There's a slim window where they could also bring back Isabela Merced.

I assume this is going to be a Lionsgate production when it does film? Like I said in the TV thread, I would love it if the world and characters from Lioness could cross-over.
Old 10-30-23, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,276 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Part 2 was a step down in quality from the first one but Iíll watch a third, especially if Blunt returns.
Old 10-30-23, 02:26 PM

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I assume this is going to be a Lionsgate production when it does film?
Black Label Media is the production company behind the films. Now who will distribute it...?
Old 10-30-23, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 501 Posts

There's a slim window where they could also bring back Isabela Merced.
Unless it takes place immediately after the second film (and they found a compelling enough narrative reason), they could definitely bring her back. But all the returning cast members mean little without a tight script. I wish they'd somehow get Taylor Sheridan to write it.
Old 10-30-23, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

I want to say I'm excited for this, but the truth is : I never got around to watching Day of the Soldado.
Old 10-30-23, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I want to say I'm excited for this, but the truth is : I never got around to watching Day of the Soldado.
I almost didn't watch it cos the title screams DTV sequel (no wonder Taylor Sheridan was pissed some exec came up with that title, since the script was merely called Soldado because despite recurring characters it's not meant to be viewed as a sequel). However, it's a good standalone flick.
Old 10-31-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Unless it takes place immediately after the second film (and they found a compelling enough narrative reason), they could definitely bring her back. But all the returning cast members mean little without a tight script. I wish they'd somehow get Taylor Sheridan to write it.
Well, considering Soldado ended with a 1 year time jump.... depends what Matt did with her and her motivations. I liked the chemistry between her and Alejandro, which is why I'd like to see them reunite.
Old 10-31-23, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, considering Soldado ended with a 1 year time jump.... depends what Matt did with her and her motivations. I liked the chemistry between her and Alejandro, which is why I'd like to see them reunite.
I forgot about the time jump at the end of Soldado. Still, Merced looks so different now that she would not be able to pass for her 18-year-old (adding 1 year to account for the time jump) self. Yes, I know it's only been 5 years since that movie's release, but she was very baby faced back then, which is why she was playing a character that seemed to be much younger than 17.

So, yeah, we'd need a bigger than 1 year time jump to keep her around. Not saying they shouldn't, because, as you said, Isabel and Alejandro had great chemistry together.
Old 10-31-23, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I forgot about the time jump at the end of Soldado. Still, Merced looks so different now that she would not be able to pass for her 18-year-old (adding 1 year to account for the time jump) self. Yes, I know it's only been 5 years since that movie's release, but she was very baby faced back then, which is why she was playing a character that seemed to be much younger than 17.

So, yeah, we'd need a bigger than 1 year time jump to keep her around. Not saying they shouldn't, because, as you said, Isabel and Alejandro had great chemistry together.
I'd assume there's another time gap to allow for training Miguel.