Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quiz Lady (2023, D: Yu) S: Awkwafina, Sandra Oh

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-30-23, 09:19 AM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Streaming November 3 on Hulu.

In Quiz Lady, a brilliant but tightly wound, gameshow-obsessed young woman, Anne (Awkwafina), and her estranged, train-wreck of a sister Jenny (Sandra Oh), must work together to help cover their motherís gambling debts. When Anneís beloved dog is kidnapped, they set out on a wild, cross-country trek to get the cash the only way they know how: by turning Anne into a bona-fide gameshow champion. The movie, which also stars Jason Schwartzman, Holland Taylor, Tony Hale, and Will Ferrell, is directed by Jessica Yu, written by Jen DíAngelo, and produced by Will Ferrell, Jessica Elbaum, Maggie Haskins, Itay Reiss, Jen DíAngelo, Awkwafina, and Sandra Oh, with Alex Brown and Erika Hampson serving as executive producers.
Reviews from TIFF: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/quiz_lady
Old 11-03-23, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Re: Quiz Lady (2023, D: Yu) S: Awkwafina, Sandra Oh

Didn't see a lot of advertising for this but man, what a stacked cast. Pretty enjoyable, albeit minor comedy.

I appreciated the unnecessary shurikens too sweet cameo at the end

Last edited by RichC2; 11-03-23 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-03-23, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 966 Likes on 737 Posts

Despite this being on Netflix today, last night we screened it at my film festival, and we had to turn people away due to overselling. So there's still some pull to theatrical screenings vs. watching movies at home.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (11-04-23)
Old 11-03-23, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Despite this being on Netflix today, last night we screened it at my film festival, and we had to turn people away due to overselling. So there's still some pull to theatrical screenings vs. watching movies at home.
Hulu, but just the same I think Five Night at Freddy's showed some movies are theater ready even if they are same day on streaming
Old 11-04-23, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 966 Likes on 737 Posts

Coulda sworn it was Netflix, but nope, right there in the description. Hulu.

Anyway, here's what the crowd looked like at last night's showing:

The following 3 users liked this post by Paff:
kahuna (11-07-23), RichC2 (11-04-23), story (11-04-23)
Old 11-04-23, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,117 Posts

^ Thatís crazy!

Based on the trailer, this movie looks like it was written by someone who has no idea how actual humans act.
Old 11-04-23, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hulu, but just the same I think Five Night at Freddy's showed some movies are theater ready even if they are same day on streaming
I still am cautioning people from using that as an example . . . FNAF's theatrical money came from a huge built in fan-base crowd that was ALWAYS going to go to the theater. It is not like other day-and-date films. The shock wasn't the theatrical run, it was the streaming drop. That fanbase was NOT a streaming fanbase, so it really was low-risk, IMO. Families who were never going to spend the theatrical money may have grabbed it on Peacock. The typical DVDTalker was more likely to watch it on streaming. However, the teens and older teens who grew up on the franchise were NEVER going to stay home and watch it on TV. This was an event release, even if many critics and adults don't realize it.
Old 11-06-23, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

More cartoonish than I would have liked. but very enjoyable. Awkwafina's outstanding physical comedy is fascinating to me because of its subtlety. Simple things, like her use of posture is hilarious and brilliant.
And man, did that cameo at the end warm my heart.
Old 11-12-23, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

This a lot more fun than we expected. From the "gang" and their problems to the updates on everyone at the end. The last "point" they scored was pretty sweet and funny at the same time (who would have thought that would come back like that, lol). Oh, and the guy at the bar in Philly
Old 11-12-23, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
More cartoonish than I would have liked. but very enjoyable. Awkwafina's outstanding physical comedy is fascinating to me because of its subtlety. Simple things, like her use of posture is hilarious and brilliant.
And man, did that cameo at the end warm my heart.
Agree. I wish they would have dialed back that cartoon level a tad. But it was enjoyable otherwise.