Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Night of the Hunted (2023, D: Khalfoun) -- S: Camille Rowe -- P: Alexandre Aja -- Shudder Original

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Night of the Hunted (2023, D: Khalfoun) -- S: Camille Rowe -- P: Alexandre Aja -- Shudder Original

Old 10-27-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

In the dead of night, a remote gas station turns into a battleground of wits and wills. Can one woman outsmart a hidden sniper with a secret vendetta? Night of the Hunted starts streaming October 20th on Shudder.

Anyone heard of this movie? It just dropped on Shudder/AMC+ last week. I was downloading some movies for my iPad before my plane ride to Japan earlier this week and came across this on AMC+

It's a really low budget movie, but I thought this was quite good and tense. Very effective setting up a dark and tense atmosphere. Unknown sniper attacking a young woman and her companion in a desolate gas station at night.

I was pretty riveted the entire 95 minutes. The lead of this movie is pretty unknown looking at her IMDB, but she did a good job. Of course there is a little personal life BS as part of the character, but overall I thought it was a worthy watch. Felt like a throw back to early 2000s horror.
Old 10-27-23, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts
Re: Night of the Hunted (2023, D: Khalfoun) -- S: Camille Rowe -- P: Alexandre Aja -- Shudder Original

Note: I just realized the timing of this movie might be a little awkward with the recent news in Maine. If you find this type of subject matter uncomfortable or sensitive, then maybe this movie is not for you right now.
Old 10-28-23, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,256 Likes on 865 Posts
Re: Night of the Hunted (2023, D: Khalfoun) -- S: Camille Rowe -- P: Alexandre Aja -- Shudder Original

Not a fan of Alexandre Aja, but I didn't notice at first this was a production credit.

Looks interesting and I may give it a shot ... er ... watch tonight. Gave me vibes of The Wall (which I actually thought was pretty good).
Old 10-28-23, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Definite thumbs up. Good tension, interesting ending, and the actress was pretty damned good. Agreed, may want to take a trigger warning into account based on current events and politics.

The most terrifying thing, though: $6.95/gallon gas?!

Apparently a remake? I saw in the credits it was "based on" a foreign film. (Edit: Spanish film: La noche del ratón)

One thing I didn't get -- or may have missed . . .

Spoiler:

How did she get outside?
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (10-28-23)
Old 10-29-23, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

^ Good question. I skipped back to watch the scene again, and it is not shown or explained ...
Old 10-29-23, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gunde
^ Good question. I skipped back to watch the scene again, and it is not shown or explained ...
Yeah, seems as if something got left on the editing bay floor. It seemed . . .

Spoiler:
she went out the the back door based on how the geography of the scene played out, but the door was still padlocked. Earlier she had to cause a distraction for the other guy to sneak out the front (which I also kind of questioned since the sniper would have seen the movement of the sliding door). Ah well, the director did seem to play fast and loose with the geography and physics.