Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thriller 40 (2023) -- Showtime -- Documentary movie on making of Michael Jackson's Thriller

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Thriller 40 (2023) -- Showtime -- Documentary movie on making of Michael Jackson's Thriller

Old 10-27-23, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,727 Likes on 2,675 Posts

About Thriller 40: Forty years after the release of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”, the best-selling album of all time worldwide, Director Nelson George takes fans back in time to experience the making of the record-breaking album and the release of the accompanying short films that forever redefined the music video format. Featuring never-before-seen footage and exclusive interviews, THRILLER 40 chronicles the creation of a pre-internet global phenomenon unlike anything before it or since. “Thriller” launched Michael Jackson into mega-stardom and to this day continues to influence all aspects of culture and entertainment including the worlds of music, dance, and fashion. Music and entertainment luminaries including Usher, Mary J. Blige, Will.I.Am, Mark Ronson, Misty Copeland, Maxwell, and John Landis are featured in the documentary.

Comes out December 2nd on Showtime and Paramount +
Old 10-28-23, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Re: Thriller 40 (2023) -- Showtime -- Documentary movie on making of Michael Jackson's Thriller

Originally Posted by DJariya
Comes out December 2nd on Showtime and Paramount +
I'll watch since I have P+. But this reminds me I still have to order Moonwalker on blu since I doubt it'll come out on 4k.
Old 12-04-23, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Thriller 40 (2023) -- Showtime -- Documentary movie on making of Michael Jackson's Thriller

In case you completely forgot about this, it’s now up on Paramount +
Old 12-04-23, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

This was pretty good. But I'm very foggy on where the THRILLER video had it's premier. I was always certain the video was first shown on Showtime during primetime. I remember my entire family got in the car to go over to my mom's co-worker's place (She was the only person my Mom knew who had the channel) Everyone in that entire household had their minds blown (Myself included) when that video ended. But it seems like MTV had bragging rights all along?
Old 12-27-23, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts

I had no idea he did not do a solo tour for Thriller and kind of a dick move to make him do a tour with his brothers instead after all the success with Thriller.

Did not know he was not a big fan of Pepsi and never held a Pepsi can in the Pepsi commercial.
Old 12-29-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

Michael Jackson avoided all types of junk food, so he was kind of a sellout for doing the Pepsi commercials (I’d never appear in a commercial for anything I didn’t believe in.) That makes it even more strange that he died at a young age.

I first saw the Thriller video during Friday Night Videos on NBC in either November or December 1983, we didn’t have a VCR so I had to convince my parents to let me stay up and watch it. Shortly after that “Making Michael Jackson’s Thriller” was released by Vestron on all tape and disc formats and was the biggest-selling video title of all time then.
Old 12-29-23, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Michael Jackson avoided all types of junk food, so he was kind of a sellout for doing the Pepsi commercials (I’d never appear in a commercial for anything I didn’t believe in.) That makes it even more strange that he died at a young age.

I first saw the Thriller video during Friday Night Videos on NBC in either November or December 1983, we didn’t have a VCR so I had to convince my parents to let me stay up and watch it. Shortly after that “Making Michael Jackson’s Thriller” was released by Vestron on all tape and disc formats and was the biggest-selling video title of all time then.

It wasn't junk food that killed him.

Old 12-29-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts

They should re-release the making of Thriller as Blu-ray or DVD.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (12-29-23)
Old 12-29-23, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
They should re-release the making of Thriller as Blu-ray or DVD.
Just put it on a release with this.
Old 12-30-23, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

The part of this documentary that was really cool was seeing an actual HD performance of Michael's Motown 25th anniversary performance of Billie Jean. I would have killed to have seen that live. I was a little too young at the time to appreciate it.
Old 12-30-23, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,007 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The part of this documentary that was really cool was seeing an actual HD performance of Michael's Motown 25th anniversary performance of Billie Jean. I would have killed to have seen that live. I was a little too young at the time to appreciate it.
Hot take: While no doubt a momentous moment in tv history and a great example of MJ's stage presence and dance moves, the fact that he's not even really trying to hide the fact that he's lip syncing to the record almost ruins the whole deal. I get that MJ lip syncing is hardly a revelation, but at least record a new backing track so it sounds a little different and don't fade out on stage like you're on an episode of the Partridge Family.