Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors who could've, should've but didn't...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-22-23, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Caught Star 80 on TCM yesterday which features Eric Roberts. Great role for him that got a lot of attention and should have launched him into another level of star. While he did pick up some good roles he just fizzled out after Runaway Train. He got mired in drug addiction for a long time coupled with his reputation for being difficult to work with. With nearly 700 credits to his name, it's mostly garbage.

I always thought he could have easily fit with Scorsese and become one of his "regulars" or had a really different career had he not gotten hooked on drugs and de-railed his career.

So, who else should have been bigger and better than they were able to?
Old 10-22-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,172 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: Actors who could've, should've but didn't...

Iíve always liked the movie That Thing You Do!, and thought that Tom Everett Scott could have been a bigger actor. Heís done more since then but nothing major really.
Old 10-22-23, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,391 Likes on 4,376 Posts

After Animal House, where he's closest to the lead, and the wonderful Local Hero, I really thought Peter Reigert was going to be a star. But outside of the romantic interest in Crossing Delancy, and a small part in The Mask, he didn't really do much in the subsequent 40 years.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (10-23-23)
Old 10-22-23, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

William Petersen hat two cool and stylized thrillers, one directed by William Friedkin and the other by Michael Mann, after that he wasn't a leading man in movies anymore didn't do nothing special for about 10 years, before CSI started.
Michael Biehn had 5 strong years in the 80s The Terminator, Aliens, Rampage, The Seventh Sign and The Abyss and to this day he is mostly acts in B-movies nobody knows.
Spiderbite (10-24-23)
Old 10-22-23, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
After Animal House, where he's closest to the lead, and the wonderful Local Hero, I really thought Peter Reigert was going to be a star. But outside of the romantic interest in Crossing Delancy, and a small part in The Mask, he didn't really do much in the subsequent 40 years.
Nobody from Animal House ever really broke out, except for Kevin Bacon who was little more than an extra. Donald Sutherland was already an established actor, and John Belushi was already riding high on SNL at the time (and he ended up dying a couple of years later).

Peter Reigert did sort of create the sensitive/nerdy stock character from 80s teen comedies, though, like Ratner from Fast Times at Ridgemont High and most of the characters played by John Cusack and Matthew Broderick.
Old 10-22-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Nobody from Animal House ever really broke out, except for Kevin Bacon who was little more than an extra. Donald Sutherland was already an established actor, and John Belushi was already riding high on SNL at the time (and he ended up dying a couple of years later).

Peter Reigert did sort of create the sensitive/nerdy stock character from 80s teen comedies, though, like Ratner from Fast Times at Ridgemont High and most of the characters played by John Cusack and Matthew Broderick.
It's funny that when I think back to Animal House it "feels" like the cast was stacked with people who went on to bigger and better things, but it really wasn't.
Abob Teff (10-22-23)
Old 10-22-23, 07:34 PM

Tom Hulce did get a Best Actor Oscar nomination, but did shockingly little since Amadeus, strange because he seemed pretty magnetic in that role. I was pretty shocked at what he looks like now.

Old 10-22-23, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

^ I remember Tom Hulce most as the screw-up younger brother in Parenthood. He does look a lot different now though. I guess it has been almost 40 years since Amadeus.

I always thought Ron Livingston was going to be bigger than he ended up being. After Office Space and Band of Brothers, I really thought he was going to break out. If nothing else, I thought heíd have a long life in rom-coms. Maybe he was just had TOO much of an average Joe look.
Spiderbite (10-24-23)
Old 10-22-23, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,051 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ I remember Tom Hulce most as the screw-up younger brother in Parenthood. He does look a lot different now though. I guess it has been almost 40 years since Amadeus.

I always thought Ron Livingston was going to be bigger than he ended up being. After Office Space and Band of Brothers, I really thought he was going to break out. If nothing else, I thought heíd have a long life in rom-coms. Maybe he was just had TOO much of an average Joe look.
Yeah, the role in Parenthood made me absolutely despise Tom Hulce. Kind of silly, I admit, but after that role I found myself annoyed just seeing his face.

I'm also surprised at Ron Livingston, although I really enjoy Loudermilk, and hope it'll be back for more episodes.
Old 10-22-23, 11:28 PM

How about Robert Townsend who exploded on the scene by making and starring in Hollywood Shuffle, becoming a critical darling, and then following that by directing Eddie Murphy Raw. Everyone thought he would be the next Spike Lee, but with more of a comedic tilt. He ended up having a decent career as a television director -- and that's not nothing, but it's far from what I expect him to be.
I did enjoy seeing him in The Bear recently and it took me back. I still find this Hollywood Shuffle bit hysterical.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
ntnon (11-01-23), Spiderbite (10-24-23)
Old 10-22-23, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 876 Likes on 614 Posts

After Amadeus, Tom Hulce was good in Dominic & Eugene (although it's been a long time and his portrayal of a mentally challenged person might not hold up as well) and Fearless.

Mini Driver's career never went the way many thought it would.
Adrien Brody didn't get big after his Oscar win. I'm sure he's thankful Wes Anderson keeps using him.
Old 10-22-23, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 404 Likes on 270 Posts

Lawrence Tierney. He could have had an amazing career if it wasnít for the fact that he was crazy.
Old 10-23-23, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Lawrence Tierney. He could have had an amazing career if it wasnít for the fact that he was crazy.
Pipe down, chorus boy!
Vipper II (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
William Petersen hat two cool and stylized thrillers, one directed by William Friedkin and the other by Michael Mann, after that he wasn't a leading man in movies anymore didn't do nothing special for about 10 years, before CSI started.
Michael Biehn had 5 strong years in the 80s The Terminator, Aliens, Rampage, The Seventh Sign and The Abyss and to this day he is mostly acts in B-movies nobody knows.

Peterson did hit it big with CSI and he was also a producer, so that more than made up for any lean years prior.
Old 10-23-23, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Peterson did hit it big with CSI and he was also a producer, so that more than made up for any lean years prior.
Yes, that's why I mentioned the time before CSI. I'm surprised he had to "big" movies in the 80s and then 15 years hardly anything worth mentioning. Ultimately he became very successful, but I don't understand why his star sank after Manhunter.
Old 10-23-23, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Yes, that's why I mentioned the time before CSI. I'm surprised he had to "big" movies in the 80s and then 15 years hardly anything worth mentioning. Ultimately he became very successful, but I don't understand why his star sank after Manhunter.
I had never even heard of Peterson until I started watching CSI and became a fan. I was a little surprised that he had been the leading man in several big movies 15 years prior.
Old 10-23-23, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

I feel a bunch of actors ended up on this path. A little more than a flash in the pan, several starring roles with some accolades and talk of being a breakout and then nothing.
C. Thomas Howell
Derek Luke
Josh Hartnett
Old 10-23-23, 11:27 AM

Harnett has a big role in the yearís biggest and most acclaimed dramatic feature. Thatís something.
Old 10-23-23, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Harnett has a big role in the yearís biggest and most acclaimed dramatic feature. Thatís something.
But it took how long since 30 Days of Night/Pearl Harbor/Black Hawk Down? 16 years?
Old 10-23-23, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I always thought Ron Livingston was going to be bigger than he ended up being. After Office Space and Band of Brothers, I really thought he was going to break out. If nothing else, I thought he’d have a long life in rom-coms. Maybe he was just had TOO much of an average Joe look.
Ron Livingston does not really belong in this thread. After Office Space and Band Of Brothers he DID go on to have a steady career in film/tv (he was in A Million Little Things through this year). He also has quite a few films on his resume that might be considered rom coms/dramas, if the thumbnail images that are returned when I searched for roles he has been in is anything to go by.

He has had a very healthy career in Hollywood, and I would not even say that he is someone who folks thought would get more roles after turns in Office Space and BOB, because he DID get lots of roles after those projects. Unless he has a story where he was offered the role of the MCU Captain America and passed because he thought the film would bomb or something like that, I would say that he is probably pretty darn happy with how his career in film and tv turned out.

I am not a Livingtson fanboy, lol! I swear, it is just that Google shows he was not abandoned by Hollywood, and I bet he will continue to obtain roles in film and tv as the year go by.

I think that folks like Hartnett belong on this thread because I remember that he was definitely being pushed (very) hard for a period of time as a hot young and talented actor in quite a few mags back in the day (in the days when I had a subscription to things like Premiere Magazine) and it led me to believe we would see a steady progression of roles that would keep him in the public eye and be an actor Hollywood was eager to pursue. He did have some roles in some major films like Pearl Harbor, and Black Hawk Down, and quite frankly has been in quite a few films over the past 20-25 years, but yes...unlike Ron Livingston, I felt he really was being primed to be one of Hollywood's Leading Men actors, or someone you wanted as part of an ensemble cast filled with name actors/actresses.

I also seem to remember reading stuff about him that led me to believe that he seemed to be a bit too aware that he was a pretty good looking dude (by whatever standards you want to use, Hollywood good looking or otherwise), and felt that his acting chops were enough that folks would kind-of be tripping over themselves to get him in their film. His being considered a hard to work with actor behind the scenes explains why he never broke into the upper stratosphere of actors that directors pursued for their projects. Being pretty and admittedly a bit talented can only get you so far in Hollywood.

I wonder if some of the actors mentioned in this thread, like the Amadeus one, for one reason or another chose to distance themselves from Hollywood and might not have struggled to line up roles in good projects if they did not retreat from acting (meaning it was the actors choice to not work in Hollywood so much, not that no one wanted to work with them).
Old 10-23-23, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Ed Burns. Talented handsome dude. But wasn't he on his way to Leading Man territory but then started acting up and getting on people's shit list?
Old 10-23-23, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ed Burns. Talented handsome dude. But wasn't he on his way to Leading Man territory but then started acting up and getting on people's shit list?
He married Christy Turlington. He doesn't have to work.
Old 10-23-23, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 175 Posts

Mia Sara best know role in Legend and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. She did few films before retiring from acting. I do miss her beauty back then.

Old 10-23-23, 02:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would Jai Courtney fall into this category? Kinda felt like during his peak in the mid-2010's Hollywood was forcing him onto movie audiences to be the next big superstar and we all just collectively said "nah". I think it all started going downhill for him after Terminator Genisys.
Old 10-23-23, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrsparkel
Would Jai Courtney fall into this category? Kinda felt like during his peak in the mid-2010's Hollywood was forcing him onto movie audiences to be the next big superstar and we all just collectively said "nah". I think it all started going downhill for him after Terminator Genisys.
Jai Courtney, Liam Hemsworth, Sam Worthington, Taylor Kitsch and some others were forced upon us, but audiences just refused, so I would say they couldn't have and shouldn't have and didn't. I do like Taylor Kitsch probably because I loved Friday Night Lights, Courtney and Hemsworth are terrible actors and Sam Worthington is just bland. They just don't have any sort of charisma, they are good looking guys.
Let's wait and see if Charlie Hunnam gets out of the swamp.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.