Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Old 01-02-24, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
Re: Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

I liked the vagueness, which generated paranoid thoughts in my mind, like, jeez, maybe that Biblical apocalypse stuff is true.
Old 01-04-24, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

"Vague apocalypse" is an incredibly tired genre. Netflix does it the most and the worst. Just tell the audience what the fuck is going on, even if the characters don't know. All of these filmmakers took the wrong lessons from The Road.

On top of that, every character is unlikeable, the theme is some Centrist Boomer nonsense, and there's no real resolution. Plus, "we'll add a bunch of unrelated/surreal stuff to make it weeeiiird, maaaaan" and "characters stare in silence at something offscreen for a long time" are in full effect.

I'll never understand the train of thought that leads people to believe that witholding important information is good storytelling in speculative fiction.
​​
Old 01-04-24, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

I did not vet this but my daughter claims there are all these Tik Tok videos of clues within this movie that point at September, 2024 being a key date -- for whatever reason. It is intresting that Obama is tied to this and the methods of the attack and resulting apocolypse are basically us collapsing on ourselves. It's the likely scenario for sure.
Old 01-04-24, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

At this point we can talk without spoiler tags, right? (if not I'll edit the post)

spoilers:

I still don't get the leap from cutting off communications/spreading propaganda that an outside party is invading to full out military coup. Yes it is probably the most resource efficient to get a country to eat itself from within, I get that, I just don't get where the coup comes from, if anything you'd want the existing media to whip people up into a frenzy and spread misinformation that way.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
At this point we can talk without spoiler tags, right? (if not I'll edit the post)

spoilers:

I still don't get the leap from cutting off communications/spreading propaganda that an outside party is invading to full out military coup. Yes it is probably the most resource efficient to get a country to eat itself from within, I get that, I just don't get where the coup comes from, if anything you'd want the existing media to whip people up into a frenzy and spread misinformation that way.
The movie provides so little information beyond the scope of the characters' immediate situation that it's impossible to know what may or may not happen. I'd agree that things seem to escalate rather quickly, but like with the deer, the details are not really the point.
Old 01-04-24, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the detail that misinformation/lack of information is causing us to turn on each other is the point (or one of the points), though? The source of the misinformation isn't that important.

Also assuming they didn't pay Tesla to feature their cars, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from Elon about them basically slandering autopilot like that...
Old 01-04-24, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I think the detail that misinformation/lack of information is causing us to turn on each other is the point (or one of the points), though? The source of the misinformation isn't that important.

Also assuming they didn't pay Tesla to feature their cars, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from Elon about them basically slandering autopilot like that...
I would be totally fine with that if there weren't a million other movies already where they withold from the audience what exactly is going on. Either give me something concrete or don't dole out ANY information. Don't be cutesy with little hints and clues that never get a resolution, just say "The world ended, don't worry too much about it. Anyway, the real theme of the movie is carrying the fire/love triumphing through adversity/humans are the real monsters". And definitely don't make the movie nearly two and a half hours long
Old 01-11-24, 11:08 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I finally got around to watching this movie and loved it and the vagueness throughout; thought the ending worked perfectly, since everyone was converging to the bunker separately, and we are given a head's up through the daughter's eye how equipped and ready it was for them; didn't really need move movie to see them hug and whatnot, and share what they had seen and learned while apart.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

He DID comment about it, and he was none too pleased as you already suggest.
Old 01-12-24, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I liked this one. The creepy vibe was good, kinda Jordan Peele-like, and I didn’t mind that a fair amount of it was vague and went unanswered. The Tesla scene was great. When it got to the end I said “Oh, they aren’t really doing this, are they?” Then I realized not only were they going to do this, but they were going to end on it. And I was ok with it. Even though I was thinking “No, you gotta do this and that!”, I decided it was ok and none of that other stuff was going to matter anyway.
Old 01-12-24, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
I liked this one. The creepy vibe was good, kinda Jordan Peele-like, and I didn’t mind that a fair amount of it was vague and went unanswered. The Tesla scene was great. When it got to the end I said “Oh, they aren’t really doing this, are they?” Then I realized not only were they going to do this, but they were going to end on it. And I was ok with it. Even though I was thinking “No, you gotta do this and that!”, I decided it was ok and none of that other stuff was going to matter anyway.
Yeah I would think that members of this site in particular would like the ending...