Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Old 12-20-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Spoiler:
A sequel would be fun to watch. That other Civil War movie comes out in spring.

I think the Friends ending was irreverent. It had a name to the episode. I think it is simply a way to end the story.

I liked the apocalyptic misdirection. I'd still like to see the movie where logical people just say what's happening. When you think about it, Mahershala could have been like, "here's what happening, here's the best we can hope for, here is what we'll do". Likewise, zombies will be much easier to handle when it actually happens. I guess, except for those unwilling to accept it's zombies and want to keep restaurants open and whatnot.
With all due respect Troy, I couldn't disagree more with your final paragraph.

Spoiler:
the entire idea of the movie is that a properly conducted attack on the US, whether from within or from someone external will sow chaos in such a way that no one will be able to really know what's happening and what to do. That's how it would end up working.

On a different note, I rather liked the abrupt and seemingly irrelevant ending; this thing is not going to end well, we're never going to get back to normal, best to just enjoy the time you have left. Be with loved ones, eat, and enjoy your favorite entertainment because it's all going to be gone in a few days
Old 12-20-23, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Originally Posted by Rival11
Remember everyone, stay away from us white People if we ever lose all power - we will turn into psychos and try to oppress you.
THAT was your read from this movie???
Old 12-20-23, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
right?
Old 12-22-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Remember everyone, stay away from us white People if we ever lose all power - we will turn into psychos and try to oppress you.
Noted.

I did think the whole "Julia Roberts character distrusts these people maybe because of race" was a little heavy handed; given the scenario and especially the way both the father and daughter were acting, plus the young kids in the house, yeah I'd be distrustful too. I'm also glad they just kind of teased the adultery because maybe it was just me but I didn't want to see that happen, either way.

Since we're doing spoilers still, I didn't really understand
Spoiler:
how sowing distrust like that would end up in a coup and military weapons being fired at cities from within the country. Especially if the misinformation was saying that the invaders are from outside.

Certainly I understand how divided the country is in general, and maybe I'm just super naive at the checks and balances put in place.
Old 12-22-23, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Definitely gives off M Night vibes. During the first half or so of this movie, I was thinking of The Happening, and I haven't even seen The Happening. Some obvious Knock at the Cabin comparisons, too.

Watching it now and this is exactly what I was thinking
Old 12-22-23, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
No, I didn't even see it. Just saw that scene and had enough. I'm just beyond sick of all the woke shit. Just brainwashing idiocy that should have come to an end a while ago.
Old 12-22-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I didn't even see it. Just saw that scene and had enough. I'm just beyond sick of all the woke shit. Just brainwashing idiocy that should have come to an end a while ago.
What scene? I'm actually baffled by this entire train of thought on it with regards to how the movie plays out so yeah, I'm curious.

I know some guy on Reddit was pissy about a scene with the daughter making a comment about white people, which is pretty much the only direct reference to race in the movie. That scene was used for irony given what happens five minutes later (dude admitted he didn't watch the movie but saw the clip on Twitter with zero context ). I assume you're referencing a different clip though given the context clues.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-22-23 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
What scene? I'm actually baffled by this entire train of thought on it with regards to how the movie plays out so yeah, I'm curious.

I know some guy on Reddit was pissy about a scene with the daughter making a comment about white people, which is pretty much the only direct reference to race in the movie. Alas, that was used for irony given what happens five minutes later (he admitted he didn't watch the movie but saw the clip on Twitter). I assume you're referencing a different clip though given the context.
Is there not a scene in the movie that talks about trust and how it shouldn't be given willingly to white people (or something similar to that)?

Why exactly are you "baffled" about this train of thought? It's just typical woke bullshit and movies with that trash in it always suck. I don't care if it's just one line either.

Hey, if it doesn't bother you, more power to you, but to talk like you don't know what's being said is just laughable.
Old 12-22-23, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can we keep the idiotic woke stuff in the idiotic woke stuff topic
Old 12-22-23, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there not a scene in the movie that talks about trust and how it shouldn't be given willingly to white people (or something similar to that)?

Why exactly are you "baffled" about this train of thought? It's just typical woke bullshit and movies with that trash in it always suck. I don't care if it's just one line either.

Hey, if it doesn't bother you, more power to you, but to talk like you don't know what's being said is just laughable.
Ah so it was the same clip.

Because the movie goes out of its way to point out how dumb that mentality is, and somehow for some people that is just as bad. It's weird mental gymnastics: "Character makes generalized remarks I disagree with! She's proven wrong! WOKE!"

Originally Posted by whotony
Can we keep the idiotic woke stuff in the idiotic woke stuff topic
An ode to the most overused word since hipster.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-23-23 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-23-23, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Ah so it was the same clip.

Because the movie goes out of its way to point out how dumb that mentality is, and somehow for some people that is just as bad. It's weird mental gymnastics: "Character makes generalized remarks I disagree with! She's proven wrong! WOKE!"

An ode to the most overused word since hipster.
Like I said, have fun with it and replace the word "woke" with whatever word you want to use.

You do realize at this point as well even if that line is actually being called out in the film as being wrong......who cares?? I saw it and that was enough for me to roll my eyes and tune out.

I made a simple joke based off a line I heard and that seems to have set you off when it shouldn't have affected you at all.

Old 12-23-23, 02:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I made a simple joke based off a line I heard and that seems to have set you off when it shouldn't have affected you at all.
so you didn’t watch the movie but skipped directly to the one scene that happened to trigger you into making a ‘woke shit’ ““joke””?

anyway, I did watch this movie in full, and it was trash, but not for the reason above.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-04-24)
Old 12-23-23, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
so you didn’t watch the movie but skipped directly to the one scene that happened to trigger you into making a ‘woke shit’ ““joke””?

anyway, I did watch this movie in full, and it was trash, but not for the reason above.
No, and why would you assume that I skipped to a scene from a movie I've never seen.....like, really think about that for a second.

I saw a quick clip online of that scene (don't remember where).

Yes, it made me roll my eyes and I saw this thread and posted that joke. That's pretty much the gist of it.
Old 12-23-23, 03:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I saw a quick clip online of that scene (don't remember where).
that’s inconvenient.
Old 12-23-23, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
that’s inconvenient.
Lol, for what its worth, is was witbout question a VERY maistream liberal site I believe. I don't go looking for woke shit.

Think it may have been msn.com. I usually get auto-sent there after signing out of outlook.com. It was one of those type of sites.
Old 12-23-23, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

This was tough to get through, I ended up skipping about a third of it.(I'd read the negative word of mouth but decided to give it a shot) Just terrible dialogue and directing that I couldn't get past.
Old 12-24-23, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
This was tough to get through, I ended up skipping about a third of it.(I'd read the negative word of mouth but decided to give it a shot) Just terrible dialogue and directing that I couldn't get past.
What dialogue was terrible? Same with the direction, what was bad about that?
Old 12-27-23, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
What dialogue was terrible? Same with the direction, what was bad about that?
Just heavy handed choices that struck me as tonally off putting (songs for one), the sideways camera just felt like the director trying to do something 'just because' instead of any real reasoning behind it. ("this sequence isn't interesting on it's own so let's add this") I will concede that their is a real challenge to making movies about unlikeable characters (which almost all of these are imo) but I think the key is they at least have to be interesting.

As an example, I was captivated by last year's Tar - a long portrait of a person with unlikable traits and actions, but it's layered, it's not one note in any sense.

Another current Netflix film - Fair Play is the kind of filmmaking I personally love, it has a real sense of it's tone and pacing.

Old 12-29-23, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Not sure how the power grid failure would make and divert wildlife migration routes or why suddenly deer become unafraid of humans. Also, what is with the tick/lyme disease thing? Feels like a forced mcguffin just to get to Bacon's character again? Was that in the book?
Old 12-29-23, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Not sure how the power grid failure would make and divert wildlife migration routes or why suddenly deer become unafraid of humans. Also, what is with the tick/lyme disease thing? Feels like a forced mcguffin just to get to Bacon's character again? Was that in the book?
Don't know about the book, but Esmail has spoken repeatedly about how he didn't intend to have every plot point make perfect logical sense and that the deer, for example, are more of a metaphor and a representation of dream logic.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (12-29-23)
Old 12-29-23, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought part of the attack was targeted radiation and use of devices similar to Raytheon’s “pain rays”.
Old 12-29-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They attempted to address the deer to an extent with some kind of toxic exhaust pushing wildlife north (or something like that). But it was vague and quick.
Old 12-31-23, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Just finished this. Highly mysterious, extremely disappointing overall story.

Very good camera work. Phenomenal edits and transitions.

Music was really good. I immediately recognized that NEXT - Too Close album cover.

Story was trash.
Old 12-31-23, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Flophouse Podcast did this movie this week.

Old 01-02-24, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I thought part of the attack was targeted radiation and use of devices similar to Raytheon’s “pain rays”.
Right, it's kind of left a little vague if the sickness was a result of the sound/radiation attack or whatever bit him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.