Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Boy Kills World (2024) D: Moritz Mohr, with Bill Skarsgård, Jessica Rothe, Yayan Ruhian, Famke Jansen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Boy Kills World (2024) D: Moritz Mohr, with Bill Skarsgård, Jessica Rothe, Yayan Ruhian, Famke Jansen

Old 09-10-23, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

I'll plant this here for now. I'm sure it's bound to invoke some discussion. It's a manic, hyper-violent, actors-shouting, influence-soaked, sci-fi comic-booky extravaganza that's getting ok reviews (moreso from the usual genre sights, from what I've seen). Saw the World Premiere at TIFF on Saturday night and got free macarons on the way out (in a box with a QR code for bonus skins or some-such for the tie-in 'Streetfighter'-style game app being released in 2024 (not based on the film, but on a video game cabinet seen in the film).

Here's the Q&A with director Moritz Mohr, and four of the producers. While many actors are at the fest, particularly for foreign films (which this is, in part), none were present for this one, although Bill Skarsgård and Jessica Rothe do appear in my video, in a roundabout way.

And here's the proof-of-concept trailer that apparently convinced Sam Raimi and Roy Lee to help produce the feature:
Old 01-24-24, 06:49 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
Re: Boy Kills World (2024) D: Moritz Mohr, with Bill Skarsgård, Jessica Rothe, Yayan Ruhian, Famke Jansen

EXCLUSIVE: The TIFF Midnight Madness movie, Boy Kills World, has been picked up by Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions. The action movie starring Bill Skarsgård, Michelle Dockery, Jessica Rothe, and Famke Janssen has set a wide theatrical release for April 26.

Directed by German director Moritz Mohr, and produced by Sam Raimi and Roy Lee, Skarsgård stars as Boy, a deaf-mute with a vivid imagination, driven by his inner voice, one which he co-opted from his favorite childhood video game, avows revenge after his family is murdered by Hilda Van Der Koy (Janssen), the deranged matriarch of a corrupt post-apocalyptic dynasty that left the boy orphaned, deafened, and voiceless. Boy trains with a mysterious shaman (Ruhian) to become an instrument of death and is set loose on the eve of the annual culling of dissidents. Bedlam ensues as Boy commits bloody martial arts mayhem, inciting a wrath of carnage and blood-letting. As he tries to get his bearings in this delirious realm, Boy soon falls in with a desperate resistance group, all the while bickering with the apparent ghost of his rebellious little sister.

“When we saw Boy Kills World at TIFF’s Midnight Madness we were blown away by the crazy action sequences and the terrific cast. Audiences are in for a wild ride,” commented Roadside Attractions Co-Presidents Howard Cohen and Eric d’Arbeloff.

“From the opening frames, Boy Kills World catapulted the Lionsgate team into a completely bonkers world masterfully created by Sam Raimi, Roy Lee, Bill Skarsgård and the incredibly dynamic cast and crew.” said Lauren Bixby, Lionsgate’s SVP of Acquisitions and Co-Productions. “We could not be more excited to partner with our friends at Roadside to bring the delightful insanity to US audiences everywhere.”

Raimi added “Mohr brings a distinct visual style and an unbridled imagination to the screen, creating an original, outrageous, and visceral thrill ride. Boy Kills World‘s eclectic cast, eye-popping stunt sequences, and deranged sense of humor will blow audiences away.”

“We could not think of a better partner to bring our audacious and entirely original film to the big screen than the company that has given us the John Wick and Hunger Games franchises,” said Wayne Fitzjohn and Simon Swart. “Noted for bucking convention and blowing traditional distribution norms out of the window, Lionsgate and Roadside are the perfect team for Boy Kills World.”

“Boy Kills World is one of the most exhilarating action films I’ve ever seen and I’m thrilled for audiences to get to experience it in theaters. Lionsgate and Roadside are the perfect home for it,” continued pic’s producer Alex Lebovici.

Pic also stars Brett Gelman (Stranger Things, Fleabag), Isaiah Mustafa (It: Chapter Two, Shadowhunters), martial arts master Yayan Ruhian (John Wick Chapter 3- Parabellum, Star War Episode VII – The Force Awakens), Nicholas and Cameron Crovetti (Big Little Lies, The Boys), and Quinn Copeland (Punky Brewster), with Andrew Koji (Bullet Train, Snake Eyes) and Sharlto Copley, (District 9, Elysium).

The pic is a production between Nthibah Pictures, Raimi Productions, Vertigo Entertainment, and Hammerstone Studios Production from a screenplay by Arend Remmers and Tyler Burton Smith (Child’s Play) with a screen story by Mohr and Remmers. Raimi, Zainab Azizi, Lee, Wayne Fitzjohn, Simon Swart, Lebovici, Stuart Manashil and Dan Kagan serve as producers. EPs are Sipho Nkosi, Mxolisi Mgojo, Humphrey Mathe, Reza Brojerdi, Christian Mercuri, Moritz Mohr and Andrew Childs.

Nthibah Pictures’s Swart negotiated the deal with Lauren Bixby, Lionsgate’s SVP of Acquisitions and Co-Productions on behalf of Lionsgate and Co-President Howard Cohen, Roadside Attractions. Nthibah Pictures is represented by Tom Ara of DLA Piper.
https://deadline.com/2024/01/boys-ki...te-1235802907/
Old 01-24-24, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Boy Kills World (2024) D: Moritz Mohr, with Bill Skarsgård, Jessica Rothe, Yayan Ruhian, Famke Jansen

No Topanga?
Old 02-22-24, 12:08 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

In theaters April 26

Skarsgård stars as "Boy" who vows revenge after his family is murdered by Hilda Van Der Koy (Janssen), the deranged matriarch of a corrupt post-apocalyptic dynasty that left the boy orphaned, deaf and voiceless. Driven by his inner voice, one which he co-opted from his favorite childhood video game, Boy trains with a mysterious shaman (Ruhian) to become an instrument of death and is set loose on the eve of the annual culling of dissidents. Bedlam ensues as Boy commits bloody martial arts mayhem, inciting a wrath of carnage and blood-letting. As he tries to get his bearings in this delirious realm, Boy soon falls in with a desperate resistance group, all the while bickering with the apparent ghost of his rebellious little sister.
Old 02-22-24, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My faulty memory has me wondering if they found another actor to do Boy’s voice. I’m leaning toward the one in the film shown at TIFF being different than the one in that trailer. I’m more than likely wrong on this.
Old 02-23-24, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Looks fun - not sure I’d see it in the theater but it’s probably a great streaming/digital purchase.

Originally Posted by Brian T
My faulty memory has me wondering if they found another actor to do Boy’s voice. I’m leaning toward the one in the film shown at TIFF being different than the one in that trailer. I’m more than likely wrong on this.
Sounds like maybe it was Skarsgard in the original cut.

Old 02-23-24, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I'm not sure if H Jon Benjamin was a smart pick or a distracting one

Old 02-23-24, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Yeah, I get that the “voice” was taken from a video game but it might be distracting to hear Bob Belcher narrate an entire action movie.
Old 02-23-24, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It’s good to know my memory isn’t failing me after all. When I watched that trailer, the voice was actually distractingly familiar. I couldn’t quite place it, but my mind was only calling up Bob’s Burgers, and then I kept thinking, “nah, why would they use him?”

However, that JoBlo link has me questioning my memory again! I’m not absolutely certain that the fest version used Skarsgard’s actual voice either. It was definitely a voice that came from the video game his character plays a lot (a fictional game that was being developed into a real one, as noted in my opening post), but that it wasn’t Skarsgard doing it, which was the joke. If it was Skarsgard, I doubt he’d agree to having half of his performance replaced with a TV cartoon voiceover guy. In that sense, I’m guessing the executives who ultimately picked this up saw an opportunity to exercise their brilliance and replace a lesser-known or even no-name voiceover actor with someone more recognizable, but I’m not sure they made the right decision with Benjamin.

Incidentally, the version that played at TIFF was 112 minutes long (IMDb sez 115), so this voiceover change makes me wonder if the execs perhaps decided to mess with the run time too. I guess we’ll see. In fairness, there were several little things that didn’t add up for me in the film’s ‘world’, not least of which was how the sitcom-dysfunctional authoritarian family led by Janssen could ever have gotten the city (or state, or country, or whatever it is) to live in abject fear of them (and no, they don’t read like an allegory to Trump and co.). Rothe’s character also wears this cool-looking but nonsensical motorcycle helmet that flashes messages and emojis and animations across the visor (you can see it in the trailer). In her early scenes, you only see what’s on the visor, so you assume she’s mute, but then (not a spoiler) she speaks, and from there on the visor basically ‘repeats’ things other characters can hear her speaking underneath the helmet that completely obscures her face and performance. There’s a big climactic fight that also strains plausibility the longer it drags on, so if they trimmed that it might be an improvement.

Despite those beefs, there’s still plenty to like: the action choreography and gory violence are well-staged, and the training montages with Yayan Ruhian (whose character arc doesn’t really make sense) are fun. They get a lot of mileage out of one character’s ‘bad lip reading’. As written, Skarsgard’s inner monologues are often funny (although hearing them again in Bob Belcher’s voice may indeed be weird). Overall, it probably has more to like than not.

Ultimately, though, I wouldn’t be surprised if this finds a bigger audience on streaming.
Old 04-02-24, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts