Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?
1.79%
5.36%
26.79%
32.14%
12.50%
7.14%
10.71%
1.79%
0%
0%
0%
No interest at all
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 07-17-23, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 735 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I know I'm not quoting it accurately. I admitted that in a later post. Not sure I'm quoting Clerks though. I mean maybe I am, but not consciously. It's just something my friends and I say at each other.
Yeah, I slipped in an edit, but you got to it before me. It does exist in that order in Clerks though.
Old 07-17-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 929 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Short Round:
"Hey, Dr. Jones, no time for love. We've got company."

Randall in Clerks to a customer:
"No time for love Dr. Jones."

The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Obi-Wanma (07-17-23), story (07-23-23)
Old 07-17-23, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 929 Likes on 568 Posts

And I just rewatched the scene where Willie is screaming her head off while running into all the creatures at the camp while Indy and Short Round play poker while completely ignoring her. Even with her incessant screaming (which is obviously part of the joke of them ignoring her) it is a great scene. They really do have great chemistry together. Shame he didn't show up in this last one.

Here is a quick video of some of his best moments:
Old 07-17-23, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,051 Likes on 611 Posts

Hated this after the first 30-45min (whenever they shoot the CIA agent and soldiers on the plane)
  • No action sequences as good as Crystal Skull's Area 51 or campus chases
  • Nor anything as striking as Indy looking at a mushroom cloud (which I do think is a phenomenal visual, even if the preceding fridge moment is hilariously awful)
  • The kid was definitely more annoying than Mutt or Short Round
  • Hated the way Waller-Bridge's character was written, although I think the performance makes well with what it has to work with
  • The de-aging tech will never work for me, although this is easily the best use of it ever
  • I found the specific connection with Archimedes to come from nowhere for Indy
The following 3 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Crocker Jarmen (07-19-23), GoldenJCJ (07-18-23), miller_time22 (07-25-23)
Old 07-18-23, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

I just took my dad and son to an afternoon show. We thought it was a good rebound.

that has to be the best use of de-aging yet.

would have loved to see Short Round. Oh well.
The following 2 users liked this post by B.A.:
JeremyM (07-19-23), ntnon (07-24-23)
Old 07-19-23, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Surprised that most say the opening was the best part as I found it completely ridiculous and a major part of my issue with modern action movies. The lack of stunt men and "practical effects", replaced with CGI, has made action scenes unwatchable in my opinion. They are so far fetched to be even feasibly believable. And in a movie like this the action has to be believable. The whole train scene was eye rolling. Also, it's never brought up really but how in the hell did Mads Mikkelsen take an iron bar directly to the face while traveling on a train and fall off that train and survive. I'm fine with suspending belief and he "magically" survived, but not from taking a pole to the damn face. I waited the entire time expecting some reveal that he had used Nazi tech to repair his face, but it never came. Horrible, horrible writing.

Don't get any hate about the kid, if anything I thought he wasn't used enough. Agree that not having Short Round make a cameo seemed a massive missed opportunity, especially considering the recent success of the actor. I find Phoebe Waller-Bridge to be irritating but she was ok in this.
Old 07-19-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

It was some kind of hose that hit him despite the metallic clang, though your greater point about it still mostly stands (he did have a scar though it was hard to notice). But I still liked the train scene very much.
Old 07-23-23, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 591 Posts

Went to see this last night. I haven't read through this thread yet.

I enjoyed it overall. Nowhere near as much as I love the original three movies, but I definitely like this a lot more than Crystal Skull. I mean, a lot of it is a mess, but it leaves a better taste in my mouth as the final Indy movie than KotCS.

The worst aspects of the movie for me were the tuk tuk chase (it just went on way too long) and the musical score (too loud and in-your-face and that most recognizable part of the theme seemed to 'hit' at the wrong times). The opening scene with the train didn't have the flair of the openings of the other movies.

I liked Phoebe Waller-Bridge a lot and thought she made a good partner with Indy. The kid I could take or leave, but at least he wasn't super annoying.

I loved the scene with Marion at the end. Nice little callback to the scene on the ship in Raiders.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (07-23-23)
Old 08-12-23, 11:12 AM

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I'm not sure what else to add to this conversation except to say this: there is a brand-new Indiana Jones movie in theaters and although I've had several nights free, I have not been compelled to go and see it a second time. I've been tempted here and there, but ultimately haven't gone. That says something, and that isn't great.

I liked this and I wanted to like it more. I took our oldest a few weeks ago and we had a good time. They know all of the other Indiana Jones movies so that helped. It is a good movie and a fine Indiana Jones movie, but I just can't get there, really. Maybe I'll give it one more shot this summer. I'm glad I forgot about all of the "extras in Roman soldier garb" rumors from years ago, because the ending surprised me. But that said, I like my ending better. Here's what I wrote in the other thread about it:

Originally Posted by story
I haven't read a single spoiler. I've only seek the commericals and trailers. I didn't watch a single video leak. But I've had a atrong hunch for a while, and I'm going to put it here. This is my guess on the ending of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny:

Indiana Jones will have the Dial of Destiny in his hands. He will have the ability to change anything he wishes. Erase mistakes, undo grief and loss, right wrongs. He will be tempted to do this, so very tempted. We may even get glimpses of how the world might be changed if he does it.

But he will stop. He will realize his mistakes are part of who he is. His grief and loss are part of life. The wrongs of the world have also brought out the good of humanity. We may even see visions of the people in and out of his life, including characters we've known and loved - Henry, Marcus, etc. - and he will see if he changes one thing, so much will never happen. Like if he undoes this, he won't meet Short Round, or if he undoes that, he loses Marion. He will see his life was a life well-lived, warts and all.

He's been looking for this all opportunity, this ability, all his life... only to set it down. He may even destroy the Dial, forever sealing fate. He will look at Helena and say he has led a good life: "And I wouldn't change a thing."

We all have things we wish never happened. Moments of regret, and moments tough stuff happened to us. But honestly, so few of us would really change them if we could. That's what this old timer on one last adventure will come to see. If we as an audience are empathetic, we will let this beloved character make this choice to move on. And if we are honest with ourselves, we will rejoice that this beloved character is giving us permission to move on, too.)

That's an ending that supports what I'm pretty sure is the overall theme of this movie, which really is a subtle underlying theme in many of these "blast from the past" revival stories.

Anyway, that's my guess. I'll find out soon!
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
IBJoel (08-14-23), ntnon (08-12-23)
Old 08-12-23, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,362 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I was a child if the 80s and rewatched the hell out of the first three. I rarely get to the theater anymore so Iím wondering if this will be worth a blind buy on Blu ray?
Old 08-12-23, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,585 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I was a child if the 80s and rewatched the hell out of the first three. I rarely get to the theater anymore so Iím wondering if this will be worth a blind buy on Blu ray?
I was the same with the originals. IMHO it's better than Temple of Doom (which I rewatched with my son last night as he'd never seen it...it is really rough. And Willy is intolerable.) and miles better than Crystal Skull. Maybe wait for it to be on-sale, but it is good enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
milo bloom (08-13-23), ntnon (08-12-23)
Old 08-13-23, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,362 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I was the same with the originals. IMHO it's better than Temple of Doom (which I rewatched with my son last night as he'd never seen it...it is really rough. And Willy is intolerable.) and miles better than Crystal Skull. Maybe wait for it to be on-sale, but it is good enough.
Thanks, Iíll watch for the listings to pop up and see which retailer has the nicest swag and probably get that.
Old 08-13-23, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,119 Likes on 881 Posts

I enjoyed it overall and think itís worth watching and owning but the first three are just on a different level. Something with the new one seems slightly lacking.

Ideally I wish we had gotten a better fourth film to close out the saga in 2008 when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. Ford was younger and could do a bit more and Spielberg was still involved.
Old 08-13-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 588 Likes on 453 Posts

I saw that Karen Allen recently mentioned her role in this movie was far larger when Spielberg was involved. After Mangold got involved, the script was changed and Marion was reduced to a cameo. Was it ever reported why Spielberg abandoned the project?

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-16-23 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-13-23, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

The official story was he wanted to do Westside Story and Fabelmans. Which is probably true but I also think his heart just wasn't in it anymore.
Old 08-14-23, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,499 Posts

This will be coming to digital August 29th

The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (08-15-23)
Old 10-16-23, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts

I never got around to seeing this in the theaters and was really bummed... so I bought this sight unseen over the weekend and absolutely loved it. It felt like throwback Indy. A pretty good story and excellent music. I was a bit miffed that the rift in time went exactly back to Archimedes (I suppose it was meant to be a continuous time loop) but otherwise this really brought me back to my youth.
Old 10-16-23, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,005 Likes on 798 Posts

I really enjoyed this as well, it would rank as #3 in the franchise for me
​​​​​​
Old 11-13-23, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts

Coming to Disney+ on Dec. 1.
Old 11-13-23, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 258 Posts

This was on par with the best of Indy.

The detailed sets really stood out. It was so rich and detailed. I usually donít catch that in movies.
Old 11-13-23, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 448 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
This was on par with the best of Indy.

The detailed sets really stood out. It was so rich and detailed. I usually don’t catch that in movies.
I'm curious to see this at home to compare, because I remember so much of the movie being dark and murky at the theatre, both times I saw it.
Old 12-01-23, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Just got done with this on D+. Did anybody else catch the "New" Wilhelm by one of the Germans who falls off the train?
Old 12-01-23, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 826 Posts

"New" Wilhelm?
Old 12-01-23, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Old 12-16-23, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 338 Likes on 259 Posts

Caught this on Disney+

I enjoyed it! Great intro, balance of action throughout the film, and I liked the dial Macguffin more than the crystal skulls haha

And time travel is one of my favorite plot devices so it was a nice surprise at the end.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.