Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?
1.79%
5.36%
26.79%
32.14%
12.50%
7.14%
10.71%
1.79%
0%
0%
0%
No interest at all
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 06-30-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,464 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I did like the little call back to Indy’s fear of snakes. When they were about to dive and someone mentioned the eels looked like snakes. And then Indy was about to freak out.
Old 06-30-23, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by movieguru
A minor nitpick I noticed when watching the movie. Indiana Jones is doing a class lecture and every student looks bored and isn't paying much attention. When Indy notices this, he says to the class that "This will be on the test". After he finishes his lecture, he goes into the teacher lounge/offices and they are having a retirement party for him as it is his last day. Why would a college professor be retiring in the middle of a semester and not just finish out the semester? Even if he was retiring at that time, why would he be worried about their performance on an exam, or even know what would be on the exam since some other professor would be taking over for him to finish teaching the semester he started.
I thought this as well. Furthermore, the Moon Day parade took place in AUGUST of 1969. What college has finals in August? If anything, it should be near the beginning of a new school year. I looked it up, and sure enough, commencement for Hunter College in 1969 was June 2.

Yeah - nitpicky...but when you realize the only reason this movie is set during the Apollo 11 parade is to drive home the fact that Mads Mikkelsen's character worked for the U.S. space program (and to provide a nice set piece), you want to scream at the screenplay writers.
Old 06-30-23, 05:47 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

This was pretty bland and boring.

And wow... they actually used Anthony Ingruber has Indy's double in the prologue. I noticed him in the Tangiers bidding scene too.
Old 06-30-23, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Oh wow guys...I was really looking forward to this one, despite some of the critical reaction, and what can I say...those critics were right. This is NOT a good movie. Heck, I think Crystal Skull might even be better than this one, as at least that one "feels" like an Indiana Jones movie. Dial of Destiny feels more like a spy thriller that just happens to feature Indiana Jones. The pacing is all wrong, the editing and overall look of the film is all wrong, and the story is just not that interesting. The BEST thing about this movie is Mads Mikkelson, who elevates a pretty one-dimensional villain into someone that's at least fun to watch when he's on screen. The "quips" from Indy don't even work that well...I think I actually groaned at them more than I laughed (there's one about Poland that lands...but that's really the only one).

The third act is horrible...not only poorly conceived, but I was expecting something a little more interesting and fun for the big climax. And as for the final scene...it's supposed to be moving, but it winds up being more depressing than anything else.

This is just a film I wish they hadn't made, but if anything, it may make you appreciate Crystal Skull a little bit more.
Saw this yesterday afternoon and have similar feelings.

One thing I wanted to add was how emotionally vapid this entire film felt. Whether purely on accident, this is echoed in the scene where
Spoiler:
Renaldo is killed on his boat. While Indiana Jones yells that his friend was killed, the script and the characters don't seem to really care, so neither should we as an audience.

There's a fascinating line from Mads Mikkelsen's character Jurgen near the end of the film where he says to Indiana Jones that the world no longer cares for men like them.

A film about the actual effects of time to Indiana Jones would've been a more fascinating entry, than slapping him into another romp in Harrison Ford's 80-year old body.
The following 2 users liked this post by asianxcore:
Abob Teff (07-07-23), Shannon Nutt (07-02-23)
Old 06-30-23, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,573 Likes on 982 Posts

Miles better than Crystal Skull which I actively hated. I enjoyed seeing it. I saw it in a 3/4 full theater and there were audible cheers and claps when he used his whip. Not a ton of laughs though in the film - it's just not particularly funny. The movie is well-directed, well-acted, the de-aging stuff at the beginning looked great and I'll probably never watch it again. Nothing that memorable (though I did like the entire storage room into the parade sequence - that looked terrible from the trailers but it worked for me in context). The third act was...fine, I guess. I mean...demon ghosts killed Nazis in the first movie, so why not time travel? Kind of cool to see the big planes above the ancient ships.

That sums it up...it was fine.

And I'm glad Karen Allen made an appearance.

The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Abob Teff (07-07-23), ntnon (07-07-23)
Old 07-01-23, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

We enjoyed it. Big improvement on Crystal Skull (which I liked) especially in the look. Crystal Skull had that odd "digital" look to it that didn't fit with the first three, Destiny looks more in line with them. They are getting closer with the de-aging but not quite there, especially with fast motion. My only real issue was pacing, could have been tightened up a little and taking too long to make Helena more likeable (I get it, she saw and hated what happened with her father).

Was this the most violent Indy? Pretty high body count from the bad guys. Was also happy to see Marion at the end, nice way to bookend the series.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (07-01-23)
Old 07-01-23, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

This was better than Crystal Skull for me but it I agree it was just bland. Goddaughter or not, Helena was completley unlikeable. Once you try to get me killed, all bets are off, I'm sorry. Indy should have cut her loose. The film was way too long but I did like the ending. The de-aging was well-done here as well.

To answer DaveNinja's plot hole question, yes Continental Drift is a thing and probably should have thrown off the coordinates but since Archimedes designed the device to go back to a fixed point in time, I guess it became irrelevant. I also questioned why Indy was monologing about that - did he think Jurgen was going to take his word for it?
Old 07-01-23, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree it was bland, unfunny, too long, and that Helena was unlikeable. The third act was too far-fetched for my taste (like the last film), and the CGI during it was horrible. The de-aging in the first act was great, but then later we were subjected to seeing an 80-year-old man wearing nothing but boxers. My eyes! My eyes! Glad Marion was back even if her appearance was just a cameo. I didn't like Mutt's fate. They could have come up with a different reason to explain his absence from this film. Then Disney could have continued the series with him using a different actor. 2 stars.
Old 07-01-23, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 263 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
This was better than Crystal Skull for me but it I agree it was just bland. Goddaughter or not, Helena was completley unlikeable. Once you try to get me killed, all bets are off, I'm sorry. Indy should have cut her loose. The film was way too long but I did like the ending. The de-aging was well-done here as well.

To answer DaveNinja's plot hole question, yes Continental Drift is a thing and probably should have thrown off the coordinates but since Archimedes designed the device to go back to a fixed point in time, I guess it became irrelevant. I also questioned why Indy was monologing about that - did he think Jurgen was going to take his word for it?
Not just Continental Drift, but doesn't the solar system or Milky Way Galaxy shift around as well and that would have messed up the settings.
Old 07-01-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,913 Likes on 4,036 Posts

I liked it more than most here. Didn't mind Helena, she's a thief who needed Indy's help. Agree the kid was annoying. Enjoyed the opening a lot and thought the de-aging looked pretty convincing. Mostly I liked that Ford didn't feel like he was phoning this one in -- which was how I felt about Han Solo in The Force Awakens. I enjoyed it enough even if I thought it was more of a Double than a Home Run.
Also wondered about the Banderas scene. Felt like something else had to have been cut because that guy felt like no more than a casual acquaintance of Jones -- the scene would have hit if it were the pirate captain from Raiders instead. The August archeology class and early retirement were bugging me as well. Was happy about the Marion cameo although that's not how septuagenarian reconcile a failed marriage-- that felt very inauthentic to her character and the pain she had apparently been through.
JeremyM (07-01-23)
Old 07-01-23, 10:47 AM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Glad Marion was back even if her appearance was just a cameo. I didn't like Mutt's fate. They could have come up with a different reason to explain his absence from this film. Then Disney could have continued the series with him using a different actor.
Funny that they did the same thing to Indy and Marion that was done to Han and Leia: estranged due to the fate of their son (though Kylo was alive at that point, just an unhinged emo), I agree with an earlier comment that seeing the two of them aged and standing alone in that seedy little apartment was more depressing than uplifting. I hope Marion still had a house somewhere (what happened to Henry's estate?) because those two deserved better for their golden years. How nice if Marion packed in a little grandkid along with those groceries (or at least mentioned one). Mutt seemed like the type who might have fathered a few illegitimate children.

I didn't love the Mutt character, but it's a shame they didn't keep some kind of family legacy going. That's true for all these Lucasfilm properties. What are we left with? Mutt's dead, Kylo's dead, Luke's got no children (just a Mary Sue who took his last name for clout) and poor Willow's wife and son were killed offscreen. Making these classic heroes suffer or portraying them as incompetent failures who need to be showed up by a strong new female character (mostly English brunettes who the audience are given little reason to care for or relate to) has been the blueprint for Disney era Lucasfilm. In hindsight, it hasn't worked once - and has now left these properties in worse critical and commercial shape than before Kennedy put her mark all over them. Undoing these character's previous accomplishments and robbing them of their well-deserved happy endings (especially with Star Wars) is what annoys me the most.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-01-23 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-01-23, 10:55 AM

Received 310 Likes on 222 Posts

I enjoyed it... far better than Crystal Skull (doubt I'll ever rewatch it). Could have used to be a bit shorter as I was checking my watch near the end.

My theater was almost full and the audience was into it the whole time.
Old 07-01-23, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

It was disappointing. They had only one shot to wrap up the franchise in a satisfying way, and they missed the mark. Indiana Jones is supposed to be thrilling and emotional, but this was just depressing.

One really annoying thing... the movie spans from 1944 to 1969, but Indy ages at least 40 years instead of 25.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 07-01-23 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-01-23, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a film, with Indy de-aged for the entire movie been a better ideal?
Old 07-01-23, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It was disappointing. They had only one shot to wrap up the franchise in a satisfying way, and they missed the mark. Indiana Jones is supposed to be thrilling and emotional, but this was just depressing.

One really annoying thing... the movie spans from 1944 to 1969, but Indy ages at least 40 years instead of 25.
Indiana Jones looked a lot older than 70, but of course Harrison Ford is 80 in real life. They could have made the movie take place in 1979 instead of 1969, but maybe that would have made the former Nazi plot unrealistic since 34 years would have passed since the end of WWII.
Old 07-01-23, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I thought this as well. Furthermore, the Moon Day parade took place in AUGUST of 1969. What college has finals in August? If anything, it should be near the beginning of a new school year. I looked it up, and sure enough, commencement for Hunter College in 1969 was June 2.

Yeah - nitpicky...but when you realize the only reason this movie is set during the Apollo 11 parade is to drive home the fact that Mads Mikkelsen's character worked for the U.S. space program (and to provide a nice set piece), you want to scream at the screenplay writers.
The other thing that was maybe a little odd was Mutt enlisting in the Army to fight in Vietnam. By 1969 he would have been about 34 years old and depending on when he enlisted, he still would have been in his early thirties which would seem a little too old by that point.
Old 07-01-23, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,464 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainet
Would a film, with Indy de-aged for the entire movie been a better ideal?
Absolutely not. That would be cost prohibitive. This movie already cost nearly $300M to make. We don't know how much it cost just for that opening sequence.
Old 07-01-23, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

I agree with most people here. I actually enjoyed it for the most part but there were a number of things that didn’t sit well with me.

Why make Indy a curmudgeon? I would have preferred him to be a somewhat famous and successful archeologist. They could have had him be a successful museum curator who was famous in historical circles for his amazing exploits of the past. Making him a grumpy old man yelling at his neighbors for playing loud music was a bad choice.

Helena was an asshole. Seriously? This is the potential replacement to pass the torch to? I’m actually most confused about this bit - to make her so unlikable. There were definitely problems with Mutt but at least he was likable and played off Indy well.

This was about 30 minutes too long. They could have easily eliminated a “side quest” or two to streamline the story a bit better. I really liked the WWII opening and the time travel ending wasn’t as bad as I thought but they could have trimmed some of the second act which dragged a bit.

Teddy was completely unnecessary. They could have removed him altogether and the story would have been almost exactly the same. I get that they were trying to show parallels between Helena/Teddy and Indy/Short Round but it really didn’t work.

The de-aging was decent and although not perfect, was good enough to not pull me out of the story completely. I also didn’t mind the time travel aspect. It worked better than I thought it would.

I appreciate that it looked like this was actually filmed on location and had a more epic feel than Crystal Skull, which looked like it was filmed in Spielberg’s backyard.

Overall I enjoyed it but I was hoping for more of a grand sendoff for Indiana Jones. A was disappointed that he was left with such a downer ending. Bringing Marion back was nice but it wasn’t enough. This needed a Last Crusade riding-off-into-the-sunset ending and it failed. Indy and Marion being sad in a dingy little NY apartment wasn’t the final sendoff I was hoping for.

Also, a minor complaint but I was somewhat disappointed that the Paramount Pictures mountain didn’t morph into something in the opening shot.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
DJariya (07-01-23), miller_time22 (07-02-23)
Old 07-01-23, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,913 Likes on 4,036 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Also, a minor complaint but I was somewhat disappointed that the Paramount Pictures mountain didn’t morph into something in the opening shot.
No, but the Lucasfilm logo morphed into a brass plate that gets immediately smashed.
ntnon (07-07-23)
Old 07-01-23, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 585 Likes on 450 Posts

I just got back from the theater. Didn't hate this but didn't love it either. It's not terrible but still the worst in the series.

Helena and Teddy were terrible characters. I would have replaced Helena with Marion and made the story about Marion completing an unfinished quest of Abner Ravenwood as a means of coping with Mutt's death. And I would have replaced Teddy with Sallah, joining up for the sake of one last adventure.

I would have cut Antonio Bandera's character (can't remember his name) as he added nothing to the story. Even his death didn't have the intended impact.

Also, I am aware of Operation Paperclip but doubt the CIA would be so blasé about a group of former Nazis going around killing US citizens just because one of them helped get them to the moon.

Oh and the film clearly was meant to end with Indy's death. The untended chest wound (yes, I get he was patched up much later) and the fact that his innocence in the University homicides was never proved are both telltale signs he was not meant to get anything close to a happy ending.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Sketchsketchy (07-04-23), story (07-01-23)
Old 07-01-23, 11:37 PM

Received 748 Likes on 489 Posts

Liked it way better than KotCS and enjoyed myself the entire time.

Once they found the watch on Archimedes I knew how the third act would play out.

I have the same gripes as many of you have already mentioned, but I liked it and will see it again someday.

4 stars for me.

Side note: I just got done binge watching three season of The Chosen and laughed when I recognized Helena’s fiancée, Rahim, was played by Alaa Safi who plays Simon the Zealot.
Old 07-02-23, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 448 Likes on 296 Posts

Although not perfect, I enjoyed watching this. I think overall it is better than Crystal Skull, but have to credit CS for that exciting, expertly put together motorcycle chase. There isn't a sequence in Dial anywhere near as thrilling as that.

Originally Posted by Decker
the scene would have hit if it were the pirate captain from Raiders instead.
When Jones was hyping his captain buddy up, I was sure it was going to be Captain Katanga from Raiders. I was even pre-emptively rolling my eyes, thinking, Jeez, they really gotta bring that character back? Who cares?

Sketchsketchy (07-04-23)
Old 07-02-23, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Punching someone to temporarily knock them out has gotten so old to me and is such a lazy thing to do.

And doing it to a 70 year old man with a serious bullet wound in order to “save” him? Even Bugs Bunny wouldn’t be crazy enough to do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluetoast:
Sketchsketchy (07-04-23), Spiderbite (07-03-23)
Old 07-02-23, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Punching someone to temporarily knock them out has gotten so old to me and is such a lazy thing to do.

And doing it to a 70 year old man with a serious bullet wound in order to “save” him? Even Bugs Bunny wouldn’t be crazy enough to do that.
And it didn’t just knock him out. It comatosed his ass long enough to get him back to 1969, perform surgery on his shoulder, and get him from the Mediterranean back to New York, which has got to be several days, at least.
BDB (07-03-23)
Old 07-02-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 585 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
And it didn’t just knock him out. It comatosed his ass long enough to get him back to 1969, perform surgery on his shoulder, and get him from the Mediterranean back to New York, which has got to be several days, at least.
Which probably means the whole sequence back home was a dream he had as he died.
The following 3 users liked this post by RocShemp:
GoldenJCJ (07-04-23), majorjoe23 (07-06-23), ntnon (07-07-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.