Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do DISCOUNT MOVIE THEATERS or SECOND-RUN THEATERS still exist where you live?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do DISCOUNT MOVIE THEATERS or SECOND-RUN THEATERS still exist where you live?

Old 07-02-23, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Do DISCOUNT MOVIE THEATERS or SECOND-RUN THEATERS still exist where you live?

Not for a long time.

My fondest discount theater memory is when the second movie complex in town rebranded as Dollar Cinema and I got to see the four-hour Gettysburg for only $1.
Old 07-03-23, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: Do DISCOUNT MOVIE THEATERS or SECOND-RUN THEATERS still exist where you live?

We had a twin screen 99 cent theatre which is where my parents would usually take us when we were kids in the 80s and early 90s. The biggest issue was the projectors were always breaking. I remember talking to other kids in elementary school and it was almost a running joke of whether or not you could go see a whole movie there, or if you'd see half of it and have to come back later to use your free passes to see the rest. Then there was a Carmike theatre that opened as a $1.50 theatre not too far away. I believe they had 14 screens in this one and it was a pretty big deal when it opened. My dad took me to watch Tombstone there for the grand opening. It didn't take long for the new $1.50 theatre to run the .99 theatre out of business. The building still stands and it's currently a gym and I'm pretty sure it's been that way since the theatre closed. The $1.50 theatre gradually increased their prices, as you'd expect. The last movie I went to see there was "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" right before the pandemic. I'd guess it was probably $3-5 at that point. That theatre closed it's doors after the pandemic shutdown and they bulldozed it and built luxury apartments in it's place. To my knowledge there's no other "discount" theatres near us, but there are a couple smaller independent theatres and one city owned theatre that focus on older films and usually charge around $5.
Old 07-03-23, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

The smaller towns still seem to have a few of them but the combination of COVID and escalating real estate values in the larger cities have shut most of them down. It's too bad but the "it'll-be-free-on-streaming" mindset has really had a huge impact on all theatres.