Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superpowered: The DC Story (MAX) -- 3-part documentary series -- Premieres 7/20/23

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superpowered: The DC Story (MAX) -- 3-part documentary series -- Premieres 7/20/23

Old 06-27-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts

Narrated by Rosario Dawson, SUPERPOWERED: THE DC STORY takes an unprecedented look at the enduring and influential legacy of DC, allowing fans to rediscover the universe of characters, as well as the iconic comic book company's origins, its evolution and its nearly nine-decade cultural impact across every artistic medium. Featuring a wealth of interviews with the industry's most prolific creators and the actors who bring their iconic characters from the page to the screen, SUPERPOWERED: THE DC STORY reminds us that at the heart of DC are the comics – the four-color fantasies that forever spark the imagination and instill hope.
  • EPISODE 1: THE HERO'S JOURNEY
    For over 85 years, DC has been home to a universe of iconic characters and unparalleled storytelling, but its origins began with the brilliant minds who created a Super Hero trinity: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. From survival to revival, DC navigates the birth of the sidekick, parental concerns after WWII, and a corporate takeover amid a struggle to stay current.
  • EPISODE 2: COMING OF AGE
    During a period of declining comic book sales, a bold move resets DC's entire universe, as the company decides to also take a gamble on a new Superman movie. While rivals begin to address pressing social issues, a determined DC introduces their first Black Super Hero and breaks story boundaries under their new imprint, Vertigo Comics, with the hopes of maturing comic books into an everlasting adult art form.
  • EPISODE 3: A BETTER TOMORROW
    Tired of being left out of the conversation, a group of diverse creators form Milestone Media to give voice to marginalized characters and stories born out of their own experiences. After more than eight decades of history, DC visionaries look toward a future that is representative of all in their ever-expanding universe.
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/su...ery%20artistic

I'm in. I love these kinds of documentaries. This is from the same creative team that made the 100 Years of Warner Bros. Documentary that came out on Max recently.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-27-23)
Old 07-20-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Superpowered: The DC Story (MAX) -- 3-part documentary series -- Premieres 7/20/23

This is now up on Max

3 episode season

OldBoy (07-20-23)
Old 07-20-23, 03:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Re: Superpowered: The DC Story (MAX) -- 3-part documentary series -- Premieres 7/20/23

Any good?
Old 07-20-23, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I really liked the first episode. Some good information and interviews. As the episode description says, it talked about the origins of the core DC characters from the comics. The comics were mostly the focal point.
OldBoy (07-20-23)
Old 07-21-23, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I admit when I was a kid, I wasn't heavy into comics. I picked one up every now and then. The 2nd episode was heavy into the ups and downs of DC from the 1970s through 1990s. I did find what they covered here interesting as I never paid attention to the behind the scenes rumblings of the comic industry.

They did cover the Wonder Woman TV show, Superman the movie and the phenomenon that Batman became with Keaton became in 1989.

I was a little surprised they did go into the Black Lightning character in the comics, but never mentioned the CW TV show with Cress Williams.

So far, this series has really focused more on the DC brand as opposed to DC movies and TV shows, which have been covered a lot through the years. Really good stuff. One more episode to go.
Old 07-21-23, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,052 Likes on 639 Posts

I plan to watch this hopefully soon.

Do they get into DC's battle with Superman's creators Shuster & Siegel?
Old 07-21-23, 04:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

^ through most of one. Don’t remember if they truly went into Superman fallout, but pretty good so far. Love the interviews especially. They got all the big ones. My mom heard about this for some reason and actually wants to see it. I was like mom, it’s the history of Batman and Superman. I had no idea she had a slight interest in something like this. She does like docus though. Look forward to more.
Old 07-21-23, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

They mentioned the creators of Superman, but I don't recall that they went into the conflict they had with DC (this is through the 2 episodes I watched)
Old 07-23-23, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I finished this yesterday. Overall a very solid documentary without being redundant. They focused a lot more on the comic book aspect as opposed to the TV and movies side. Although part 3 did cover a little of the Arrowvwerse and Snyderverse. They did not interview Zack Snyder, but they did talk to Greg Berlanti. I know people eventually got burned out of the Arrowverse, but you can't deny it's importance to DC.

Yeah if you're sitting on this unwatched and this is your jam, definitely give it a watch. You could probably finish it all up in 1 sitting.