Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Flash?
6.00%
14.00%
24.00%
10.00%
28.00%
4.00%
2.00%
4.00%
2.00%
2.00%
0%
No interest at all
2.00%
No interest in seeing this now. Will wait until down the road on streaming or physical media
2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-23, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Synopsis:

“Worlds collide in “The Flash” when Barry uses his superpowers to travel back in time in order to change the events of the past. But when his attempt to save his family inadvertently alters the future, Barry becomes trapped in a reality in which General Zod has returned, threatening annihilation, and there are no Super Heroes to turn to. That is, unless Barry can coax a very different Batman out of retirement and rescue an imprisoned Kryptonian... albeit not the one he’s looking for. Ultimately, to save the world that he is in and return to the future that he knows, Barry’s only hope is to race for his life. But will making the ultimate sacrifice be enough to reset the universe?”
Starring:
Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton, Sasha Calle, Ben Affleck, Ron Livingston, Michael Shannon

Written by:
Christina Hodson (screenplay) and Joby Harold (screen story)

Directed by:
Andy Muschietti

Running Time:
2 hours, 24 minutes

Rated:
PG-13

RT Score:
67% as of 6/15/23

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_flash_2023

Final Trailer

Opens this afternoon. I will be seeing it at 6pm.

Not sure how many of you will be seeing it today or tomorrow, but be warned there are a lot of spoilers. One was already leaked by the director.

If you don't want to be spoiled until you have time to see this, I suggest hold off on reading or contributing to this thread and talk your generalities in the preview thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...n-affleck.html
Old 06-15-23, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts
Re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I've avoided all spoilers so far (well except for one...) Seeing it at 7:05p tonight.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I'll have to reflect on it a bit more, but other than the Batman stuff and the all the meta-appearances, I didn't really care for this one. The saving the babies at the beginning was really dumb, I didn't see any point in that. They made Flash really annoying, and then even more annoying in the alternate timeline. It took about 45 minutes in before I started caring about any of the movie. The effects in the scenes with Kara felt off, almost unfinished or something.

There was 1 post credits scene, which really didn't add anything either, unless I missed something (very possible). Seemed like it was just trying to squeeze in yet another cameo.

Worth a watch for the all the nostalgia, but not much else for me.
miller_time22 (06-17-23)
Old 06-15-23, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, I feel like this was release a couple of years too late for it to have a real impact.

Keaton kicked major ass and was great. I really liked this version of Supergirl and she was pretty cool. I hope she gets her own thing.
Old 06-15-23, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Had an absolute blast with this. The kind of movie DCU should have been doing years ago. Tons of fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by stingermck:
IBJoel (06-16-23), Meathead (06-15-23), Sonny Corinthos (06-27-23)
Old 06-15-23, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts

The whole theater was into it from the start. Loved it. Really well done.
Old 06-15-23, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I liked it quite a bit. Not perfect but decent as a semi-interpretation of the Flashpoint story. I liked Ezra Miller as the two versions of Barry/The Flash.

Keaton was also good as Bruce/Batman and gave that nostalgia blast I was hoping for. Supergirl wasnít bad but underutilized for sure. I liked seeing a bit more of the Batcave in that universe. I was a bit bummed the Batmobile didnít see any action.

I will say the special effects were shoddy as has been mentioned.

Spoiler:
When Keatonís Batman died Iím not going to lie I was pissed for a moment and that almost ruined the movie for me. After Barry goes back and undoes things again to allow his mother to die rather than saving her thus undoing the events of the timeline where Keatonís Batman existed I was more accepting of it. Still irritating but I can let it pass.

The cameos were cool. All the various versions of classic characters and the fact that Nicolas Cageís version of Superman was able to be seen even if briefly was awesome. Clooney was a surprise. We had heard the rumors but I thought-nah itís not happening. Cool that he agreed to it.

Overall Iím fairly satisfied. Not a perfect movie by any means and who knows if weíll see more of this version of The Flash but it was good as a wrap for the DCEU if nothing else.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
JeremyM (06-20-23), majorjoe23 (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked it, but didn't love it. I did think it was surprisingly very funny in spots. I thought it got a little messy and there were some special effects that didn't look great. The rescue of the babies was a very weird looking scene and it kind of dragged with hungry Barry needing food.

The Wonder Woman cameo in the beginning was cute. The highlight for me was Sasha Calle. I thought she was really good as Supergirl, but felt underused. Keaton was also solid as old Batman. I enjoyed his interactions with the 2 Barry's

The other "cameos" were interesting. George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Helen Slater, Adam West and then the one that got the theater laughing was Nic Cage as Superman. It looked really obvious the Cage cameo was a digital recreation.

Loved the Clooney Bruce Wayne cameo. Everyone cracked up.

Barry: "Who the fuck are you?"

So I assume Batfleck got wiped out in this new universe then? But, it's weird that Arthur is still around when he popped up in the post credit scene.

I would love to see Sasha Calle again and I know she wants to play Supergirl again, but I'm not counting on it. There were some production photos with her and Keaton at that final courthouse scene and it looks like that was deleted in favor of the Clooney cameo.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-16-23 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
The other "cameos" were interesting. George Reave, Christopher Reeve, Helen Slater, Adam West and then the one that got the theater laughing was Nic Cage as Superman. It looked really obvious the Cage cameo was a digital recreation.

I liked the cameos for what they were. Iím curious as to why we didnít really see Adam West closely as Batman. It was hard to make him out but you could hear his voice.

I was a little confused. When Barry decided to fix things and say goodbye to Nora, how come she didn't recognize him when they spoke to each other in the market?
That version of Nora wouldnít have recognized grown up Barry because her death happens when heís still a young kid.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-16-23 at 12:22 AM.
majorjoe23 (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Oh Okay, he went back to the timeline when he was a boy, not when he was the annoying teen. Thanks
Old 06-16-23, 12:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Gripes and Questions:

Spoiler:
- I didnít like that Keatonís Batman died trying to defeat the ďSpace MonsterĒ but didnít do so. I get that this is The Flashís movie and having Prime Barry (thatís what Iím calling him) and Young Barry work together to finally defeat it does make sense but it still irks me. Takes a bit away from Batmanís sacrifice imo.

- I get that in this skewed timeline, with a relatively safe Gotham City with no real need for a vigilante like Batman to do the shit the police canít, that Bruce Wayne has lost a good sense of his purpose. He flat-out says that he doesnít know who he is without Batman. But did they REALLY have to reintroduce Keaton here as a disheveled, flip-flop wearing, gross bum living all alone in squalor? Does Wayne Enterprises no longer exist here? And if so whoís running it? Certainly not this Jeff ďThe DudeĒ Lebowski-lookiní hobo.

- With all the ďtime-jumpingĒ and whatnot, why was the idea of trying to find out the actual identity of the real killer not posited or brought up even ONCE by any of the characters? Young Barry most especially?

- So I know what the original ending shot for this film was.. with Keaton, Calle and Cavill setting up CoIE. But NOW what?? With the new Clooney ending AND that Jason Momoa ending where does THIS Barry go from here? Is this seriously how theyíre gonna end this iteration of The Flash, with a pseudo-cliffhanger?

More thoughts later..

Last edited by CristonCole; 06-16-23 at 12:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CristonCole:
Crocker Jarmen (06-19-23), majorjoe23 (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

My honest thoughts after having just watched it:

I had seen reviews prior to going that stated it had similarities to Spider-Man: No Way Home, with some even saying they liked this better. I didn't quite feel that way, but I did enjoy this movie for what it was...

Having Michael Keaton return as the same iteration from Batman 1989 was the selling point for me on this film and he gave a great performance, even if it did seem sad what became of him after Batman Returns. He even still had his "King of the Wicker People" statues around. The story itself was good, but choosing to feature Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick rather than Grant Gustin's Flash is kind of inexcusable. Sasha Calle was ok as Supergirl, but still isn't my preferred version. I prefer a blonde Supergirl, but her Michelle Rodriguez-lite performance was decent enough. The CGI was horrible, though. The CW show does a better job with the speed effects than this movie did. For those wondering about cameos, here is a list of them:
Spoiler:
Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman
Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick
George Reeves as Superman
Christopher Reeve as Superman
Helen Slater as Supergirl
Adam West as Batman
Nicholas Cage as Superman
Geroge Clooney as Bruce Wayne
Jason Mamoa as Arthur Curry (post-credits)

I thought Reeve and Slater looked especially weird, given how Reeve is dead and Slater was de-aged for the movie, but I still appreciated the effort. I really hope that Clooney being Bruce Wayne when Barry returned from the alt universe doesn't mean he will be Batman going forward. The emotional impact of Barry saying goodbye and having to sacrifice his mom was well done. Overall, I enjoyed the movie and felt like it was god. But I still enjoyed Spider-Man: No Way Home more.
Old 06-16-23, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by CristonCole
- I didnít like that Keatonís Batman died trying to defeat the ďSpace MonsterĒ but didnít do so. I get that this is The Flashís movie and having Prime Barry (thatís what Iím calling him) and Young Barry work together to finally defeat it does make sense but it still irks me. Takes a bit away from Batmanís sacrifice imo.
Well the whole point seemed to be that all of the time traveling was pointless. You canít change certain events no matter how hard you try. Batman and also didnít sacrifice himself depending on how you look at it.

Spoiler:
- I get that in this skewed timeline, with a relatively safe Gotham City with no real need for a vigilante like Batman to do the shit the police canít, that Bruce Wayne has lost a good sense of his purpose. He flat-out says that he doesnít know who he is without Batman. But did they REALLY have to reintroduce Keaton here as a disheveled, flip-flop wearing, gross bum living all alone in squalor? Does Wayne Enterprises no longer exist here? And if so whoís running it? Certainly not this Jeff ďThe DudeĒ Lebowski-lookiní hobo.
Yeah, Iím kind in agreement. Not sure why filmmakers like doing stuff like that with legacy characters. Like we get it heís a loner character but I doubt Bruce Wayne would completely fall off everyoneís radar and go completely reclusive and let Wayne Manor go to crap.

Spoiler:
- With all the ďtime-jumpingĒ and whatnot, why was the idea of trying to find out the actual identity of the real killer not posited or brought up even ONCE by any of the characters? Young Barry most especially?
Good point. That didnít really occur to me. Wondering if that would have been too much interference in the timeline? Barry thought by just having his mom not forget the can of tomatoes he wouldnít be causing too much interference.

Spoiler:
- So I know what the original ending shot for this film was.. with Keaton, Calle and Cavill setting up CoIE. But NOW what?? With the new Clooney ending AND that Jason Momoa ending where does THIS Barry go from here? Is this seriously how theyíre gonna end this iteration of The Flash, with a pseudo-cliffhanger?
Since the DCU reboot is happening Iím guessing that none of this ultimately matters. Iím guessing thatís why Clooney agreed to appear is that he only had to show up for a little gag at the end and wonít continue on with being Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Old 06-16-23, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought it was cool how the alternate (younger) Barry found the pouch with the laughing box from Nicholsonís Joker. Guessing Batman retrieved it at the end of the first film or maybe Gordon gave it to him?
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
JeremyM (06-20-23), Why So Blu? (06-18-23)
Old 06-16-23, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

The more I sit with this, the more I think I like it in a more serious way.

The first aspect that really stood out to me was... Keaton Batman did it. He fixed his city and more or less solved the crime problem that took the lives of his parents. That was a nice touch that really gives the character just the biggest win, possibly in the history of the Batman franchise.

And I really appreciated the themes of really... you have no idea who you'd be, given different circumstances. And sometimes the best outcome you can hope for when trying to do the right thing is harm reduction.
majorjoe23 (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

When Flash was running at the beginning of the movie my 8-year-old leaned over and said ďThese are really bad special effects.Ē And heís watching a Dreamworks Netflix series at the moment.

I enjoyed it, but I wanted more. Something like the multiverses uniting to assist Barry, rather than just providing some neat cameos.

Miller was really good, and Iím curious how the dual-role filming was worked out. Like was he filming as Prime Barry, then inserted as you Barry, or vice versa? It almost made me forget that Miller is a huge slime ball. Making young Barry the ďwackyĒ one let Prime Barry come off as a little less annoying.

I suppose who really killed Barryís mom might have been something they were saving for a sequel, setting up Zoom or something.
Old 06-16-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
The more I sit with this, the more I think I like it in a more serious way.

The first aspect that really stood out to me was... Keaton Batman did it. He fixed his city and more or less solved the crime problem that took the lives of his parents. That was a nice touch that really gives the character just the biggest win, possibly in the history of the Batman franchise.
Good point. So I wonder if in the Burton universe Keatonís Batman essentially was done being Batman after Batman Returns or if he was still active for a while in other stories we never got to see play out (other than in comic book form).

And I really appreciated the themes of really... you have no idea who you'd be, given different circumstances. And sometimes the best outcome you can hope for when trying to do the right thing is harm reduction.
Yeah, there were some good emotional beats with that aspect. As much as you would try to fix things if you could your past traumas and experiences are what make you the person you are. Changing things might not always be for the best even though it might seem that way.

The big thing I realized watching this movie is- damn I wish we would have gotten more of Michael Keaton in his prime as Batman. I loved what we got here but I wanted more of him. He still has the touch to play the character.
IBJoel (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Good point. So I wonder if in the Burton universe Keatonís Batman essentially was done being Batman after Batman Returns or if he was still active for a while in other stories we never got to see play out (other than in comic book form)..
I take this as Earth-89A, in a lot of ways: just one of the universes where Keaton is Batman. In another, maybe he and Catwoman are making babies. In another, Forever and & Robin are canon. In another, Burton's Batman 3 occurs. In another, the Proto-Justice League go take out the World Engine, instead of a direct confrontation with Zod. The Batman '89 comic could takes place in any/all of those branches, I suppose. Ad infinitum.
whotony (06-17-23)
Old 06-16-23, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I thought it was like creative wikipedia trolling but today is really the anniversary of George Reeve's death?
Old 06-16-23, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Just got back - 3 PM showing was all but abandoned but I was originally going to go to the 6:30 and that was more full. Iím assuming it will do well this weekend.

Some thoughts:
  • Itís the best DCEU movie after Wonder Woman (though Momoa alone puts Aquaman in third.)
  • This is the first time I liked Miller as the Flash. Too bad this timeline is over though. Iím assuming Gunn is gonna do a complete reboot
  • LOVED the cameos - super fun (especially Nic Cage - the general public is not gonna get that one )
  • Speaking of fun - look at that DCEU, you can make a movie that isnít grimdark but still has some emotional heft. This thing was a blast from start to finish. The Flash is one of my least favorite major comic book characters but they did something great here.
  • Supergirl was awesome - loved this take on her.
  • it goes without saying that Keaton crushed it. Such a shame we didnít get a modern Batman with him.
  • This is the one and only DCEU that actually had emotional stakes - I genuinely felt bad for Barry and sad for his loss. They sold that emotion VERY well.
  • It wasnít crazy long either, which is a nice change of pace.
Iíll definitely get it digitally when it comes out - itíll be a fun one to revisit.

Last edited by Draven; 06-17-23 at 09:49 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Draven:
csant (06-16-23), DJariya (06-16-23), JeremyM (06-20-23), Kurt D (06-16-23), majorjoe23 (06-16-23), Meathead (06-17-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-16-23, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I take this as Earth-89A, in a lot of ways: just one of the universes where Keaton is Batman. In another, maybe he and Catwoman are making babies. In another, Forever and & Robin are canon. In another, Burton's Batman 3 occurs. In another, the Proto-Justice League go take out the World Engine, instead of a direct confrontation with Zod. The Batman '89 comic could takes place in any/all of those branches, I suppose. Ad infinitum.
Fair point. Like I said at first it really pissed me off that they killed off Keatonís Batman. I was kind of ready to hate the movie from there but the more I thought about it I realized that what happened isnít necessarily what happened to him and just a possible outcome that was later undone.

For what this story offered him to do I was happy seeing Keaton back. I wish he could have done more and I wish we was going to be doing more as seemingly was the original plan.
Old 06-16-23, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

For what this story offered him to do I was happy seeing Keaton back. I wish he could have done more and I wish we was going to be doing more as seemingly was the original plan.
It's a shame the Batman Beyond movie he was supposedly signed up for got cancelled.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Abob Teff (06-28-23), BackStJoe (06-17-23)
Old 06-16-23, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's a shame the Batman Beyond movie he was supposedly signed up for got cancelled.
Itís also a shame that Batgirl is being locked away and that his cameo in Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom reportedly has been cut. Iím curious what the original plans for him were supposed to be. Iím pretty sure I recall him signing a multi film deal.

I would think a Batman Beyond movie with him as old Bruce Wayne would be such an easy sell to audiences. Surprised that isnít moving forward even if it was an Elseworlds tale and not considered part of the DCU.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike86:
BackStJoe (06-17-23), JeremyM (06-20-23), majorjoe23 (06-17-23)
Old 06-17-23, 01:06 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Itís also a shame that Batgirl is being locked away and that his cameo in Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom reportedly has been cut. Iím curious what the original plans for him were supposed to be. Iím pretty sure I recall him signing a multi film deal.

I would think a Batman Beyond movie with him as old Bruce Wayne would be such an easy sell to audiences. Surprised that isnít moving forward even if it was an Elseworlds tale and not considered part of the DCU.

The original plan was for Keaton to help set-up a Crisis storyline with Calle and Caville, which Keaton wouldíve eventually appeared in. That was what the original ending to this film was going to allude to.

The ďDCEUĒ will forever go down in history as the All-Time Most Failed Cinema Clusterfuck.

ó

Last edited by CristonCole; 06-17-23 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-17-23, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Loved it. This is the best of the DCU. If the other movies had been this light and fun, maybe they wouldn't be in the mess they're in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.