Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Caple Jr.) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Transformers: Rise of the Beasts?
0%
0%
35.71%
35.71%
14.29%
7.14%
7.14%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest. Don't care
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Caple Jr.) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 07-26-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Caple Jr.) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Bumblebee is still the best Transformer film out there. This was just ok, but the overly hip-hop soundtrack outside of the Notorious BIG felt out of place. When Bumblebee jumps out of the plane would have been perfect with some Thunderstruck in there. They could afford it.

Seemed like they nerfed Unicron, as well.
Old 07-26-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Caple Jr.) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Ö and Mike November is a Joe, Iím all in.

😉
Would be great if the brought over the entire cast of season 4 of Jack Ryan into the sequel as Joes.
The following users liked this post:
Goldberg74 (07-26-23)
Old 07-27-23, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts

Most Transformer movies are average or below... all the GI Joe attempts have been average or below. A cross-over isn't going to yield some great movie. Sounds good on paper but it'll be average or below.
Old 07-27-23, 12:08 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Most Transformer movies are average or below... all the GI Joe attempts have been average or below. A cross-over isn't going to yield some great movie. Sounds good on paper but it'll be average or below.

Spoiler:
At least I hope so
candyrocket786 (07-27-23)
Old 07-31-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
The Transformers movies have at least made some bank, the problem with Joe is that they've all kind of underperformed, haven't they? I can see why they haven't done it to this point and why Hasbro wants to do it because they want their cinematic universe come hell or high water.

I mean if they're going to shoehorn humans into my Transformers movies anyway, at least have them be capable heroes and villains on their own, I guess.
Old 07-31-23, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I have a soft spot for G.I. Joe: Retaliation - lots more of how I want a G.I. Joe movie to work (no lips on Snake Eyes's mask automatically knocks it up several points). It's a fun movie to put on in the background (especially the extended version).
IBJoel (07-31-23)
Old 07-31-23, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Caught this over the weekend. Decent flick. Loved the robot designs, the Maximals in particular were cool. Unicron is always on my "Bring it!" list. But because it's a prequel I started wondering why Optimus was shown to be coming to earth in the 1st TF film and where the fuck were the Maximals this whole time with world ending events happening in the TF films.
Old 07-31-23, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not a prequel to the first set of movies, right? Which still baffles me why they set this in the past.
Old 07-31-23, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Look at this way. The Bay movies are a separate timeline. Bumblebee is a re-set and started a new timeline and this is a sequel to it 7 years later.
Old 07-31-23, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's not a prequel to the first set of movies, right? Which still baffles me why they set this in the past.
Originally Posted by DJariya
Look at this way. The Bay movies are a separate timeline. Bumblebee is a re-set and started a new timeline and this is a sequel to it 7 years later.

Yeah I know Bay was involved with this film; and it's set in 1994, but I didn't get any Time Whimey Timeline change shenanigans other than inconsistent script writing. I actually think I'll like this film more with a 2nd viewing. I did love Dominique Fishback whom I knew from "Swarm"

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-31-23 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But like why set it in 1994?

I mean if you were going to go for the toy synergy set it in the 80s still (then you could use all those silly Joe designs like the dude with the phone backpack). I don't think the Beast Wars came out until like two years later anyway?
Giantrobo (07-31-23)
Old 07-31-23, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, and they even mention the girl who helped Bumblebee in his film. But yeah,the setting seemed more like a way to feature 90's music and nostalgia.
Old 07-31-23, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But because it's a prequel I started wondering why Optimus was shown to be coming to earth in the 1st TF film and where the fuck were the Maximals this whole time with world ending events happening in the TF films.
...something...something...MULTIVERSE!
Old 07-31-23, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
...something...something...MULTIVERSE!
Given the Maximals are time travelers, I assumed they'd do with this movie what Star Trek (2009) did when its prologue created the Kelvin Timeline. Instead, it's easier to look at these prequels and the Bay films as one does the Fox X-Men movies. There are continuity inconsistencies in all of them.

Heck, the Autobots where not stranded on Earth in Bumblebee, yet that's a key plot thread in this one.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-31-23 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Giantrobo (08-01-23), IBJoel (08-01-23)
Old 07-31-23, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, though, not sure if they just cut it for time but it was a "blink and you miss it" thing with the time travel stuff. Best not to think too hard about strict continuity here besides selling toys with the same name (over and over and over).

On a side note, it seems like they like shortpacked the actual Bumblebee toy from this movie, which seems like really odd to me.
IBJoel (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Given the Maximals are time travelers, I assumed they'd do with this movie what Star Trek (2009) did when its prologue created the Kelvin Timeline. Instead, it's easier to look at these prequels and the Bay films as one does the Fox X-Men movies. There are continuity inconsistencies in all of them.

Heck, the Autobots where not stranded on Earth in Bumblebee, yet that's a key plot thread in this one.
Fuck, that's right. I forgot that line. But still, nothing shown implied anything that happened changed a Timeline.

I think I'm up for a Maximals film. I really dug Optimus Primal.
Old 08-01-23, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck, that's right. I forgot that line. But still, nothing shown implied anything that happened changed a Timeline.
I didn't mean to suggest a change actually happened. I had assumed that'd happen, but it never did.

I think I'm up for a Maximals film. I really dug Optimus Primal.
Agreed. We also need to see them maximise more, and for Rhinox to use his guns. Also, bring on Dinobot and Predacon Megatron.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Giantrobo (08-02-23), IBJoel (08-02-23)
Old 08-01-23, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So it seems Robert Kirkman has a new comic called Void Rivals which is the launch of Hasbro's new Energon Universe. Essentially Skybound is doing right off the bat what IDW took years to establish. I really liked what IDW eventually put together and wished the movies took their cues from those comics. Hopefully, this new Sky bound run is just as good and the filmmakers work with the comics writers this time around.
Old 08-02-23, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So it seems Robert Kirkman has a new comic called Void Rivals which is the launch of Hasbro's new Energon Universe. Essentially Skybound is doing right off the bat what IDW took years to establish. I really liked what IDW eventually put together and wished the movies took their cues from those comics. Hopefully, this new Sky bound run is just as good and the filmmakers work with the comics writers this time around.
Honestly, while the IDW comics took a while to find their groove (around Last Stand of the Wreckers when they kind of stopped being limited by being on Earth), the end, to me, was the endless crossovers trying to establish a Hasbro universe with Rom, Micronauts, GI Joe, Mask, etc., every one of those just drove the Transformers comic into the ground. As a mini or even a series of movies, Transformers vs. GI Joe is fine, but as a permanent crossover, ugh.
Old 08-02-23, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

silly Joe designs like the dude with the phone backpack
Silly? It's real. I think Lt Dan used one in Forrest Gump too.

IBJoel (08-03-23)
Old 08-02-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho

Yeah, those go back to World War II, and you see them in quite a few movies.

Not sure how long they were in use, but with cellphone and satellite communications technology, I'd wager they became obsolete in the last thirty or so years. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still in use in the early 1980s when G. I. Joe was at its height.

IBJoel (08-03-23)
Old 08-02-23, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kind of an odd way to go about building a universe. I'm not sure what Void Rivals has to do with G. I. Joe or Transformers; it seemed more like an uninspired science fiction story that had a random Transformer thrown into it for a couple of pages.

Honestly, while the IDW comics took a while to find their groove (around Last Stand of the Wreckers when they kind of stopped being limited by being on Earth), the end, to me, was the endless crossovers trying to establish a Hasbro universe with Rom, Micronauts, GI Joe, Mask, etc., every one of those just drove the Transformers comic into the ground. As a mini or even a series of movies, Transformers vs. GI Joe is fine, but as a permanent crossover, ugh.
G. I. Joe and Transformers seem like properties that would work well together. Throwing MASK, ROM, and Micronauts into the mix seems like overkill. MASK and ROM are kind of silly, and Micronauts is so science fiction-based that, while it might work well with Transformers, would seem out of place with G. I. Joe.

IBJoel (08-03-23)
Old 08-02-23, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho

Oh I know it's real, it just seems silly in a modern context (like if you set Joe in modern day). In the 80s, I could buy it (and that's why I said it could be a reason to be set in the 80s), not sure they'd need an entire backpack for that kind of communication in modern days, but maybe they still do. But if Dial Tone isn't out there enough for you than Chuckles or Scoop or Battleforce 2000 or Captain Gridiron or Crystal Ball then. My original premise was the only reason I could think to set things back a few decades was to use some of these.
Old 08-02-23, 07:47 PM

Received 1,997 Likes on 1,175 Posts

(then you could use all those silly Joe designs like the dude with the phone backpack).
Which antenna-laden G.I. Joe do you mean? Do you mean Breaker? Or Dial-Tone? Or Mainframe? Or Psyche-Out? Or Lt. Falcon? Or Dodger? Or Dee-Jay? Or Scoop?

Or the Tele-Viper? You a Cobra, bro?!
IBJoel (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, those go back to World War II, and you see them in quite a few movies.
Fuck, I ran around with one of those during my draft in the early 2000s.
IBJoel (08-03-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.