Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Screen Actors Strike 2023

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Screen Actors Strike 2023

Old 07-24-23, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,136 Likes on 822 Posts
Re: Screen Actors Strike 2023

Originally Posted by fujishig
Sports is a pretty odd one to include. This is not true for all players but a player like Aaron Rodgers leading his team to a SB absolutely still affects the value of the GB Packers as a franchise today; even if they didn't sell a single new video or jersey or whatever today, there are people who became ardent fans and supporters because of that. A superstar like that is way underpaid compared to his overall value to the franchise over time.
Originally Posted by Runaway
I don't see the need to compare football players to actors, but isn't the NFL a perfect example for using players and treating them like garbage when they lose their worth for the team. Most players have very short-lived career, they ruin their bodies and didn't earn enough to be set for life. Most players aren't Tom Cruise or Denzel Washington, most of them are baristas who received brain damage or a knee injury while acting on an episode of Criminal Minds.
The comparison is that a professional athlete can have a base guaranteed salary, which will be paid no matter how well the athlete performs during the season, but then have incentives that will be paid based on success. And this is accepted and understood. They have been doing it in MLB for over 100 years.

An actor will be paid to work on a TV show. It's the per episode money they get every week whether the show is a hit or a failure, whether it runs for 13 episodes or 200. BUT, actors understand that if the series is successful and continues to have a life after production ends, they can still get money in the form of residuals.

The similarity and point of comparison is that both systems of compensation are made up of guaranteed money and potential money based on performance, and all the "employees" understand and accept this system. That's the extent of the comparison.

If you are a waitress at Waffle House, you will get a guaranteed hourly wage, whether the place serves 10 or 100 or 500 customers a day. Tips, which servers count on to actually make a living wage, are like acting residuals, in that people want them and to some extent depend on them, but they are not guaranteed to materialize.

The point of my making these comparisons was just to say to people who wonder how this system of residuals came to exist in the first place, that the concept is common in our society. It's just that the reward in the form acting residuals are not as immediate as the other two examples of compensation based on performance, but the principle is the same.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (07-25-23)
Old 07-24-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Oh agreed on all of that, I'm just saying Aaron Rodgers is still making the Packers money even though he's not on the team and that Superbowl win is still being felt by that franchise. If anyone deserves residuals he does.
Old 07-24-23, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,550 Likes on 4,478 Posts

Are you kidding me? Is this what this is all over?
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (07-25-23), JeremyM (07-25-23)
Old 07-24-23, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/s..._jUbTE9JlDGUjQ
I saw a TikTok that said this would be paid for by what “Mamma Mia!” made globally. And I think that includes ALL the strikes.
Old 07-25-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts

IF they've done the math correctly, then I imagine that that's exactly the (underlying) point of the negotiations and strike - that figure could be the current projected 'streaming residuals', and therefore reflect an opinion that the current definitions and agreements are flawed...

Most likely it's a figure reflecting JUST the proposed pay hikes - and even just on that front it seems very low...
Old 07-25-23, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts

So.

Scouting around for some figures to plug in for matchbook-math, and I come up with 5 studios, (or approx. 9 different companies or 15 entities) in the AMPTP. SAG-AFTRA claims 160,000 members - of which, we've read, 87% don't make $26,000 annually. Meanwhile, an article on Johnson's donation included the line that the striking members may be losing out on between $1000-3000 a month (described by a S-A person as a figure which 'may not seem like a lot').

Multiplying and Dividing from $23M each, that suggests a total between $115M and $345M, and thus somewhere between $700-$2,200 per person.

The circulated demands and counters were for an 11% pay increase vs a 5% pay increase, plus extra pay for double-roles (singing&dancing) and counter-offer payments for extras who perform added tasks.

$2000 as a percentage of an annual salary of $24,000 (c.$2000/m, 87% under $26,000) is about 8%. Short of what S-A is asking just for base pay, and not adding in the theoretical slight boosts while completely ignoring streaming residuals.

The $23M/studio figure doesn't seem to quite add up, then UNLESS it's only talking about the base pay increase and assuming AMPTP & SAG-AFTRA will meet in the middle between 5% and 11%, which may be optimistic. But does give a very, very hazy guesstimate of just how relatively small a per-studio figure would push many individuals over the insurance threshhold...
Old 07-25-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Aaron Rodgers was making fifty million a year from the Packers.

Unless he's a complete idiot, he's invested a good-sized chunk of that hundreds of millions he's made and doesn't need to worry about the Packers throwing him some pennies.

Also, I think NFL players have a pension plan available.
Old 07-25-23, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
A24 didn’t release The Lodge.

I remember having that conversation after watching it, because it sure as hell felt like an A24. Well, un-fuck them then!

But still, fuck The Lodge.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 07-25-23 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-25-23, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,752 Posts

https://deadline.com/2023/07/snoop-d...ts-1235399487/

Snoop Dogg canceled 2 concerts at the Hollywood Bowl in support of the writers and actors. He's acted a number of a times, so I assume he's a SAG member. The concerts were for the 30th anniversary of his 1st album.

They were originally scheduled for June, then re-scheduled for October, now it's canceled.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
JeremyM (07-25-23), morriscroy (07-25-23)
Old 07-25-23, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Chuck Norris just settled an 8 figure lawsuit against CBS over profits he was owed from Walker, Texas Ranger. Mainly from streaming rights.

Right now, Peacock currently has the rights to the entire show, which is weird.

Chuck hasn’t talked publicly about Walker since he did that reunion movie 18 years ago. Probably because they were ripping him off. I’m sure this money will help support his two young kids after he’s gone.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-25-23 at 05:29 PM.
JeremyM (07-25-23)
Old 07-25-23, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2023/07/snoop-d...ts-1235399487/

Snoop Dogg canceled 2 concerts at the Hollywood Bowl in support of the writers and actors. He's acted a number of a times, so I assume he's a SAG member. The concerts were for the 30th anniversary of his 1st album.

They were originally scheduled for June, then re-scheduled for October, now it's canceled.
OK, I'll bite ... what does one have to do with the other? He would have shown more support by making it a benefit concert to support the strike fund.
Old 07-25-23, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

... and in typical fashion, part of the terms of the agreement to make the donation was that Dwayne received top billing over SAG-AFTRA by having his name mentioned first in the social media announcements.
IBJoel (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

This is not true for all players but a player like Aaron Rodgers leading his team to a SB absolutely still affects the value of the GB Packers as a franchise today; even if they didn't sell a single new video or jersey or whatever today, there are people who became ardent fans and supporters because of that. A superstar like that is way underpaid compared to his overall value to the franchise over time.
I think excellent work by former employees in any business have greatly contributed to the ongoing success of that particular business but what is a reasonable stature of limitation?

The film business is unique in that a TV show or movie can be redistributed and generate tangible revenue from any corner of the planet. Producers and studios are still making money from their old product and therefore those who helped create it should be entitled to a percentage of it. What percentage is considered fair is always debatable.

Whether you're Aaron Rogers of the Green Bay Packers or a former bartender at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go with a knack for attracting a loyal clientele, it's tough to calculate what their influence has on the financial bottom-line 12 years after their tenure.

Last edited by orangerunner; 07-26-23 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think excellent work by former employees in any business have greatly contributed to the ongoing success of that particular business but what is a reasonable stature of limitation?

The film business is unique in that a TV show or movie can be redistributed and generate tangible revenue from any corner of the planet. Producers and studios are still making money from their old product and therefore those who helped create it should be entitled to a percentage of it. What percentage is considered fair is always debatable.

Whether you're Aaron Rogers of the Green Bay Packers or a former bartender at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go with a knack for attracting a loyal clientele, it's tough to calculate what their influence has on the financial bottom-line 12 years after their tenure.
Again, not saying whether he deserves it, I just think it's crazy to say he hasn't contributed to the continued success of the franchise and will even when he's retired.

On a side note, wasn't there a lawsuit a bit ago where retired players were asking for likeness residuals for some HOF thing? Apparently they don't get paid for their subsequent appearances on NFL films, though I hope if there's like an Aaron Rodgers dvd that he gets some kind of cut.
Old 07-27-23, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

On a side note, wasn't there a lawsuit a bit ago where retired players were asking for likeness residuals for some HOF thing? Apparently they don't get paid for their subsequent appearances on NFL films, though I hope if there's like an Aaron Rodgers dvd that he gets some kind of cut.
A side note to your side note; I recall a story of NHL Hall-of-Famer Mark Messier playing for the Vancouver Canucks between 1997-2000 and missing the playoffs all four seasons. When the team finally ranked #1 in the overall standings and made it to the Cup finals in 2011 there were reports that Mark Messier was seeking a payment bonus due to his inspiring presence casting a glow on the franchise from 11 years earlier!

Not sure how that ironed-out but I guess if you don't ask, you don't get was the justification.

Last edited by orangerunner; 07-27-23 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Frances Fisher got her 2 cent residual check. It doesn't say what project it was from.

Old 07-27-23, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 07-27-23, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why are so many people watching Suits this week?

One billion minutes is roughly 24 million episodes viewed in one week. Hard to believe that many people would be watching a random series that ended about five years ago.
Old 07-27-23, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

One billion minutes is roughly 24 million episodes viewed in one week. Hard to believe that many people would be watching a random series that ended about five years ago.
It was pretty popular at one point on USA. I guess cord cutters who never watched it are just discovering it. . I mean it lasted 9 seasons.
Old 07-27-23, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 380 Likes on 291 Posts

My guess is viewers finished watching Lincoln Lawyer season 2A, and Suits appeared on a “You May Also Like” portion of Netflix.

And then Lincoln Lawyer season 2B premieres next week. The algorithm working its magic…

Old 07-28-23, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

There is an embedded Instagram video of Silverman pissed off about this whole interim agreement thing that’s allowed some actors to work.
Old 07-28-23, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

you misread the story. Suits set a record with 3.14 billion minutes viewed over a week. A new record for an acquisition show. It’s views on Peacock and Netflix. Even higher.

Old 07-29-23, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

https://twitter.com/deadlinenellie/s...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q

There is an embedded Instagram video of Silverman pissed off about this whole interim agreement thing that’s allowed some actors to work.
To me, shouldn't studios that agree to SAG's terms be allowed to carry on? That makes sense to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by JeremyM:
Abob Teff (07-29-23), DeFan (08-01-23), majorjoe23 (07-29-23)
Old 07-29-23, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you misread the story. Suits set a record with 3.14 billion minutes viewed over a week. A new record for an acquisition show. It’s views on Peacock and Netflix. Even higher.
The way they measure viewing in "minutes" seems kind of sketchy to me. It's obviously a way to inflate the numbers, and doesn't really tell you much about how many people watched or how much they watched.

For all we know, these numbers could come from people who had Suits start autoplaying after they watched something else and went to bed. I've had that happen more times than I'd like to admit. Frightening waste of bandwidth.
Old 07-29-23, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like a coordinated effort to make a statement by a bunch of people who have some extra time on their hands at the moment ... who could that be? Hmmm ....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.