Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

God is a Bullet (2023, D: Cassavetes) S: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maika Monroe, Jamie Foxx

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

God is a Bullet (2023, D: Cassavetes) S: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maika Monroe, Jamie Foxx

Old 05-11-23, 10:21 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

When detective Bob Hightower finds his ex-wife murdered and daughter kidnapped by a satanic cult, he quits the police force, gets tattoos, and infiltrates the cult to hunt down the charismatic cult leader, Cyrus, with the help of the cult's only female escapee, Case Hardin. Bob is led down the rabbit hole to save his daughter while Case seizes the opportunity to claim back her power.
Old 05-14-23, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: God is a Bullet (2023, D: Cassavetes) S: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maika Monroe, Jamie Foxx

I can't really tell what they're going for from the preview. Appears to be B movie violence exploitation, which could work if done correctly. My main draw to this is Cassavetes; interesting that nowhere does it say "From the director of The Notebook"...
Old 05-14-23, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts
Re: God is a Bullet (2023, D: Cassavetes) S: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maika Monroe, Jamie Foxx

When I read that title this is what I think of...

Old 06-21-23, 11:26 PM

This is out in theatres this weekend.
Old 07-28-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Has anyone seen this? I missed the brief theatrical run and now it's on VOD for $7.

The premise interests me.

However, the reviews are awful.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/god_is_a_bullet

and it's over 2 1/2 hours long. Just wondering if it's worth a rent or not on the small chance someone here has seen it.
Old 07-28-23, 05:45 PM

There are apparently two cuts of this. There is a shorter cut is that removes about 30 mins of unnecessary subplot/ The longer one is the "director's cut". Not sure which the reviews had issues with.

I will eventually see this for Maika Monroe.

Last edited by dex14; 12-14-23 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-01-23, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Has anyone seen this? I missed the brief theatrical run and now it's on VOD for $7.

The premise interests me.

However, the reviews are awful.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/god_is_a_bullet

and it's over 2 1/2 hours long. Just wondering if it's worth a rent or not on the small chance someone here has seen it.
I saw it during its short theatrical run back in June.

Maika Monroe & Nikolaj Coster-Waldau are fantastic but the entirety of the film feels like Nick Cassavetes' vessel for slathering as much misogyny as he can in 156-minutes.

Originally Posted by dex14
There are apparently two cuts of this. There is a shorter cut is apparently the theatrica that removes about 30 mins of unnecessary subplot/ The longer one is the "director's cut". Not sure which the reviews had issues with.

I will eventually see this for Maika Monroe.
There's an even longer cut of this film?

If Cassavetes would've cut down the film to around 85-minutes, it would have flowed so much better. Within its bloated 156-minutes is already piles of unnecessary plot lines, at least in the theatrical print I saw in June.
Old 12-14-23, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

This movie is on Hoopla. It was the 156 minute cut and I struggled to get through it. Granted I was watching at 10pm. It’s was a very bloated movie. There was no reason it needed to be this long. The plot was fairly simple, but expanded too much. The entire subplot with January Jones and Paul Johansson, who played Costner-Waldau’s boss, was dumb and could have been deleted. A lot of vile characters. Even the hero Bob wasn’t that likeable.

Also, there is some pretty sadistic violence, a lot against women, that will make you squirm. Also, after everything that Bob went through to save his daughter, there was really no payoff to that. I didn’t really like Maika Monroe in this.

I have to agree with the critics here. D+ from me.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-14-23 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-14-23, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The entire plot with January Jones and Paul Johansson, who played Costner-Waldauís boss, was dumb and could have been deleted.
Such a cut exists. I think the Canadian disc and some digital versions are shorter.