Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Life of Chuck (D: Flanagan) S: Hiddleston, Hamill

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-08-23, 06:32 PM

Received 4,550 Likes on 3,086 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Tom Hiddleston (Thor franchise) and Mark Hamill (Star Wars) are set to star in new Stephen King adaptation The Life Of Chuck, which will be a hot package at the upcoming Cannes market.

Doctor Sleep and The Haunting Of Hill House helmer Mike Flanagan is directing, scripting and producing for Intrepid Pictures alongside fellow producer Trevor Macy.

FilmNation will handle international sales with WME Independent handling domestic.

Based on the short story from King’s 2020 anthology If It Bleeds, The Life of Chuck is three separate stories linked to tell the biography of Charles Krantz in reverse, beginning with his death from a brain tumour at 39 and ending with his childhood in a supposedly haunted house.

The script, which was adapted prior to the WGA strike, has been in the works for several months with Hiddleston set to play the title character and Hamill joining for the role of Albie.

According to the production, the genre project will draw tonally from Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.
https://deadline.com/2023/05/stephen...es-1235359841/
Old 05-08-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
Re: The Life of Chuck (D: Flanagan) S: Hiddleston, Hamill

Flanagan + King? I'm there.
Old 10-23-23, 05:15 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Chiwetel Ejiofor (Rob Peace), Karen Gillan (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3) and Jacob Tremblay (The Toxic Avenger) have joined the cast of The Life of Chuck, the latest of many Stephen King adaptations from filmmaker Mike Flanagan (Doctor Sleep), which kicked off production in Alabama under an interim agreement earlier this month. Tom Hiddleston and Mark Hamill lead the ensemble of the pic, written and directed by Flanagan, as we were first to tell you.

Also now involved is QWGmire, the production and financing entity known for the indie horror Agnes and the forthcoming Lovely, Dark and Deep, which has made a major equity investment in the independently financed feature.

Stated QWGmire partners Molly C. Quinn, Matthew M. Welty and Elan Gale, “We are thrilled to partner with Mike and Trevor [Macy] on this project. Mike is a master storyteller and we can’t wait to bring his inspirational adaptation of Stephen King’s short story to audiences.”

Based on three interconnected stories from King’s 2020 anthology If It Bleeds, The Life of Chuck examines the existence of its subject Charles Krantz in reverse, beginning with his death aged 39 from a brain tumor and ending with his childhood in a house believed to be haunted. Flanagan is set to produce the feature adaptation alongside his long-time Intrepid Pictures partner, Macy. WME Independent is repping domestic sales, with FilmNation Entertainment overseeing the international front.
https://deadline.com/2023/10/the-lif...ay-1235580724/
Old 10-23-23, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,221 Posts

I don't know if I could watch. That story was the very best thing in It Bleeds, and at least for me it was profoundly moving. Can't imagine King's reputation with adaptations will beat the odds with this one.
Old 10-23-23, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
I don't know if I could watch. That story was the very best thing in It Bleeds, and at least for me it was profoundly moving. Can't imagine King's reputation with adaptations will beat the odds with this one.
Have faith in Mike Flanagan.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (10-23-23)
Old 10-24-23, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Have faith in Mike Flanagan.

While it didn't really catch on with general audiences, he did a great job adapting Doctor Sleep, and Gerald's Game was pretty damn good as well. Here's hoping he finds something for Carla Gugino in this one as well.
Old 10-24-23, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

I got excited when I saw the thread title becaus I read it as The Life Of Chuck D at first.
Old 10-24-23, 03:31 PM

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I got excited when I saw the thread title becaus I read it as The Life Of Chuck D at first.
Same! Then I was very, very confused by the named stars.
Old 10-24-23, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
Same! Then I was very, very confused by the named stars.
Mark Hamill would make a great Flava Flav.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (10-24-23)
Old 10-25-23, 08:52 AM

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

He has so much range!
Old 10-25-23, 03:17 PM

Mike Flanagan (Gerald’s Game, Doctor Sleep) is headed back into the world of Stephen King with The Life of Chuck, and Flanagan has announced the full cast today.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (Rob Peace), Karen Gillan (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3), Jacob Tremblay (The Toxic Avenger), Tom Hiddleston (Crimson Peak) and Mark Hamill (Star Wars) had already been announced for the upcoming Stephen King adaptation, and a thread from Flanagan on Twitter this afternoon reveals that Matthew Lillard (Five Nights at Freddy’s) and Heather Langenkamp (A Nightmare on Elm Street) will also star.

The full cast also features fresh faces and returning Mike Flanagan regulars including…

Mia Sara, Benjamin Pajak, Trinity Jo-li Bliss, Q’Orianka Kilcher, Antonio Raul Corbo, Harvey Guillen, David Dastmalchian, Kate Siegel, Carl Lumbly, Annalise Basso, Samantha Sloyan, Rahul Kohli, Matt Biedel, Sauriyan Sapkota, Saidah Arrika Ekulona, Michael Trucco, Violet McGraw and Molly C. Quinn.

Flanagan tweets, “The Life of Chuck is a very personal story for me, and a movie I am so grateful will be in the world. We’ll keep you posted with more updates as they come.”

“Based on the short story from King’s 2020 anthology If It Bleeds, The Life of Chuck is three separate stories linked to tell the biography of Charles Krantz in reverse, beginning with his death from a brain tumor at 39 and ending with his childhood in a supposedly haunted house.”

Deadline details, “According to the production, the genre project will draw tonally from Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.”

Flanagan will also write the script and produce through Intrepid Pictures.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...FGv8zaN_qqwofE
Old 10-25-23, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Mia Sara? Of Timecop fame?
Old 10-25-23, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Mia Sara? Of Timecop fame?
(of Ferris Bueller fame) Yes.