Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Cliffhanger sequel — D: Richet — S: Stallone

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-01-23, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Old 05-01-23, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
re: Untitled Cliffhanger sequel — D: Richet — S: Stallone

Will journalists ever learn the difference between the terms "reboot" and "sequel"? They keep using the terms interchangeably, but they mean something different.

I don't see a need for a sequel to this movie. Most will barely remember much form the original movie. I don't see where a sequel is necessary or needed. Ace Venture: When Nature Calls did the best spoof of this movie.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 11:53 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Ana Lily Amirpour was supposed to direct a reimagining a few years ago. She is still on this as a producer. Interesting.
Old 05-01-23, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

It doesn’t sound like there is a studio attached to distribute this. Tri-Star was the distributor of the first one 30 years ago, but I think Studio Canal has the production rights.

And that article is written weird. Headline says Reboot, which it’s not, and the body of story says sequel.
Old 05-01-23, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,181 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
And that article is written weird. Headline says Reboot, which it’s not, and the body of story says sequel.
Couldn't it technically be both? I mean that's what Creed was, right?
Old 05-01-23, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 738 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Couldn't it technically be both? I mean that's what Creed was, right?
That's called a Re-quel.

IBJoel (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I actually watched Cliffhanger a few weeks back and the movie still holds up. Most of the action is still looking great. No one needs a sequel, but I'm thankful for every well produced Stallone movie and Waugh has made some solid action flicks.
DJariya (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

No sequel is ever needed. So we should retire that cliche. If they have a good story, then sure why not? Waugh is a talented action director and it’s always good to have Sly.
Old 05-01-23, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,181 Likes on 4,209 Posts

No sequel is ever needed. So we should retire that cliche. If they have a good story, then sure why not? Waugh is a talented action director and it’s always good to have Sly.
I don't necessarily agree. Seeing something like The Matrix or John Wick (just to pick two Keanu movies), you almost immediately after leaving the theater began to wonder what would happen next -- having a desire to revisit that world. This is a sequel to a self-contained movie that came out thirty years ago. I feel comfortable in stating that nobody needed this project in the same way they might feel like they needed a second Batman or Spider-Man movies in the pre-Cinematic Universe-era.
Old 05-01-23, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Cliffhanger is a movie I forgot all about. I don’t think I’ve even thought about this movie in the last 20 years.

I remember enjoying the bell out of it on the mid-90s though.

I also remember using the helicopter at the beginning as my go-to demo to show off the possibilities of surround sound with my first DVD player back in the day.

I’m totally down for a sequel with Sly. Though I seem to recall Janine Turner got all weird and religious-y over the years. I don’t see her returning.
Old 05-01-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Since most people who watch Stallone movies are people who know his movies from the 80s or 90s, it's not stupid to use the IP. It's not going to be Top Gun: Maverick, but John Rambo, Rocky Balboa and Creed have all been received well. The Expendables, which was a new franchise, but banked on the 80s nostaliga was successful, so I do understand the notion.

If we get something like Daylight and they call it Cliffhanger 2 I'm totally fine with it.
Old 05-01-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

It’d be cool if Rooker came back.
Old 05-01-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
It’d be cool if Rooker came back.
"Season's over, Asshole!"
Boondock Saint (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Rooker coming back would be good, though the chances of his character getting killed as a motivator for Sly would be quite high.
Old 12-18-23, 08:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Cliffhanger 2, the sequel to the 1993 Sylvester Stallone action film, has been awarded €2m in funding from German production fund FFF Bayern ahead of a planned summer 2024 shoot in Europe with director Jean-François Richet now on board.

The screenplay by Mark Bianculli (The Good Neighbor, White Smoke) sees Stallone reprising his role as the ranger Gabriel “Gabe” Walker who is now living in the Dolomites where he runs an exclusive mountain lodge.

When Gabe and a high-profile client are taken hostage during an adventurous weekend trip, his daughter has to use all her climbing skills to outwit the kidnappers, triggering a battle of life and death.

Bavarian-based fund FFF Bayern says the project is being directed Jean-François Richet, whose credits include Assault on Precinct 13, Mesrine: Killer Instinct and action thriller Plane. Ric Roman Waugh was previously listed as director.

According to FFF Bayern, Cliffhanger 2 is being structured as a German-British co-production between London-based Black Magic Films and Munich-based Supernix in collaboration with the US’s Original Films. Supernix is the joint venture between Maze Pictures and Occupant Entertainment. International sales are handled by London-based Rocket Science

The producers are Rocket Science’s Lars Sylvest and Thorsten Schumacher as well as Original Films’ Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe, Maze’s Philipp Kreuzer and Occupant’s Joe Neurauter.

Principal photography is set to begin in summer 2024 with more than half of the shoot being located in Bavaria - at the Penzing Studios and in Munich’s city centre.

In addition, the sequel will benefit from FFF Bayern’s recently launched intern incentive aimed at attracting new blood into the industry by being granted the maximum amount of €10,000.

The production fund also allocated €150,000 to the German VFX company Rise FX South in Munich to work on the visual effects for Amazon’s latest spin-off series Varsity (working title) from The Boys universe.

Other projects backed by this fund in the past have included Justin Kurzel’s sci-fi thriller Morning, Christophe Gans’ video game sequel Return To Silent Hill, Rupert Sanders’ The Crow remake, Constantin Television’s six-part high-end series Hagen, and Studio 100 Media’s international animated feature Heidi - Saving The Lynxes.
https://www.screendaily.com/news/syl...188846.article
Old 12-18-23, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Untitled Cliffhanger sequel — D: Richet — S: Stallone

I remember seeing the VHS cover of Cliffhanger in rental stores back in the day but never watched it.
Old 12-18-23, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I remember seeing the VHS cover of Cliffhanger in rental stores back in the day but never watched it.
It was one of the best. Stunts are nuts. Filming at those heights made it more intense. John Lithgow was incredibly mean as the villain.
Old 12-18-23, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Interesting that this is moving forward. I’m curious when Sly is going to have time to film the second season of Tulsa King. The scheduling definitely got derailed by the strikes.
Old 12-18-23, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Interesting that this is moving forward. I’m curious when Sly is going to have time to film the second season of Tulsa King. The scheduling definitely got derailed by the strikes.
From the sounds of it, doesn't seem like he'd be the lead doing a lot in this. Depends on who is playing his daughter...
Old 12-18-23, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I guess it depends on how big of a part the Gabe character will be in this movie.

The 1st season of Tulsa King was a 5 month shoot from March to August 2022. It aired in November. I think working on this movie will probably push TK to 2025.

Old 12-18-23, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
From the sounds of it, doesn't seem like he'd be the lead doing a lot in this. Depends on who is playing his daughter...
I’ve seen a few of this director’s previous films (PLANE, BLOOD FATHER, both MESRINE movies, and the PRECINCT 13 remake) and thought they were just ok, so I can’t help but feel this might just be a more polished version of some of Stallone’s recent sequels where his screen time is limited to make room for supposed new ‘action stars’.