Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Crying in H-Mart D: Will Sharpe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-20-23, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

'The White Lotus' Star Will Sharpe to Direct 'Crying in H Mart' Film Adaptation: It Felt Very Familiar to Me'

"I found that it felt universal in its specificity," Will Sharpe says of the 2021 memoir Crying in H Mart by Japanese Breakfast singer, songwriter and guitarist Michelle Zauner

Will Sharpe doesn't just melt hearts on HBO's The White Lotus: He's a BAFTA Award-nominated writer and director who has a major new project on his hands.

PEOPLE can exclusively reveal that Sharpe, 36, is set to direct the upcoming film adaptation of Japanese Breakfast singer, songwriter and guitarist Michelle Zauner's 2021 memoir Crying in H Mart for MGM's Orion Pictures.

The memoir, which spent over 60 weeks on The New York Times' best-sellers list, is based on an original essay of the same title Zauner, 33, first published in The New Yorker back in 2018. It centers around her relationship with her mother Chong-mi and her Korean heritage, following Chong-mi's Oct. 2014 death from cancer at age 56.

Sharpe, a Japanese-English filmmaker who has worked as a director and writer with the likes of Olivia Colman, Benedict Cumberbatch and David Thewlis on television series and films in the U.K., tells PEOPLE that he was immediately able to relate to the cultural background Zauner depicts in her memoir.

"There were lots of things that resonated with me as somebody who is half-Japanese, half-British, spent my childhood in Tokyo," he says of the book. "Some of the descriptions of being jet-lagged in your family's kitchen felt very familiar to me."
Old 03-20-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts
Re: Crying in H-Mart D: Will Sharpe

Old 03-21-23, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I had never heard of Japanese Breakfast until their episode of SNL (which is the entire point) but this sounds cool.

I wonder if they had to get permission from H Mart to use the name for the movie (or the essay), or if it's just free publicity so they don't care (you'd think from the title alone there would be negative connotations)
Old 03-21-23, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

I thought the original essay was extremely touching, but didn't get around to the book version. Admittedly, I spent a lot of years involved with Korean culture, and even still regularly shop in the H-Marts here , but I felt the story carried some very universal 'mother-daughter' truths (kinda like EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE in that sense). I can take or leave the music of Japanese Breakfast, but Zauner's storytelling (at least in the essay version) was solid. Sharpe seems to have some solid credits in his directorial cv as well.
Old 03-21-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Wish we had an H Mart here, won't even be getting a Lotte for another 2 years

The reddit comments on one of the article titles made me laugh, "The White Lotus Star Will Sharpe to Direct Japanese Breakfast’s New Crying in H Mart Movie", since nobody knew that Japanese Breakfast was a band or H Mart was a store, it just reads like gibberish.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Wish we had an H Mart here, won't even be getting a Lotte for another 2 years .
Where are you located? Are there other Korean supermarkets in your city to tide you over?

The number of Asian grocery stores here -- most of them increasingly and successfully catering to Asians and non-Asians alike -- is staggering. There was a time when the whole notion was kind of an 'enclave' thing, with smaller, less-pretty stores existing only within those communities (Chinese, Korean), but now they're all over the place, and hard to resist. They're about to open another in the mall that sits right between my office building and my apartment. This could get costly.

Anyway, apologies for derailing the thread, but in light of the subject matter of Yauner's essay and book, and this movie, I suspect this won't be the first time.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-21-23 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm in Northeast Florida, and yeah we have a few Asian/Korean Supermarkets, but nothing quite as extensive as the Lotte's and H-Marts of the world
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (03-22-23)