Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023, D: Sandberg) -- S: Levi -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Shazam 2?
0%
5.56%
27.78%
22.22%
22.22%
11.11%
11.11%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023, D: Sandberg) -- S: Levi -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 05-27-23, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023, D: Sandberg) -- S: Levi -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Finally got around to watching this. I liked it a lot. Not as much as the first movie (it could use with a trim and better development for the antagonists) but overall I had a fun time. It seems they slightly toned down Zachary Levi to better match Asher Angel but they need to do more. Either tone Levi down more or make Angel funnier, so they could meet somewhere in the middle.

I liked Djimon Hounsou's look during his final scene. Would have been fun to watch a mini series or a movie about the Wizard Shazam wandering the modern world.

Oh, Grace Caroline Currey and Marta Milans are stunning.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-23 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-28-23, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Re: Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023, D: Sandberg) -- S: Levi -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

That was the problem I had with it... why is Shazam such a spaz, yet Billy seemed serious and low key? And I feel Mary would have stepped up more as the older child than to just dismiss Shazam/Billy's attempts to be a leader by burying her head in her books. I assume that's why she gave up college, to keep an eye on the others. Also would have thought that WW would have shown up earlier to help fight Hespera, Kalypso and Anthea.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (05-29-23)
Old 05-28-23, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Also would have thought that WW would have shown up earlier to help fight Hespera, Kalypso and Anthea.
Rather than a cameo, WW should have been to this movie what Tony Stark was to Spider-Man: Homecoming. And just have her sidelined by her being outside of the dome and/or weakened by the staff. That way she's part of the story and Billy has to step up.

But I can easily assume that the opening sequence of The Flash occurs around the same time as the Tree of Life sequence of this movie, and WW heads to Philadelphia after she's done in Central City.
Giantrobo (05-29-23)
Old 05-28-23, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Shazam (Captain Marvel to me) is my childhood favorite super-hero. My father got me a box full of old, coverless Captain Marvel Adventures, Marvel Family, and other Shazam-related comics back in the early 70s after I first learned to read so really want like these films. I thought this one was worse than the first and, for me, Levi's performance was the worst element of the film for me. Personally, I don't think the Shazam franchise should survive the DECU reboot. If Gunn thinks the character can support a film/franchise, recast the role and start over. I'm old school so I just need Jr. and Mary. I thought both actors in those roles were great.
majorjoe23 (05-28-23)
Old 05-28-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,045 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
I thought this one was worse than the first and, for me, Levi's performance was the worst element of the film for me.
I just watched this a couple of days ago and I completely agree. Levi really ruins this for me. I know it's supposed to be a fun, light-hearted role, but his performance is just over-the-top goofy and not funny at all. I cringed every time he tried to be funny. And I was a fan of him in Chuck. The first Shazam movie is not great, but I like some things about it and Levi didn't annoy me in that one like he does in this sequel.
I thought this needed more screentime with Billy (not Shazam) to give us a more personal story to connect with, though I guess Freddy served that role here and his crush on Anthea was, for me, the best part of the movie. I thought Zegler was great in that role. Liu and Mirren were not utilized as well as they could have been.
Old 05-28-23, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
Shazam (Captain Marvel to me) is my childhood favorite super-hero. My father got me a box full of old, coverless Captain Marvel Adventures, Marvel Family, and other Shazam-related comics back in the early 70s after I first learned to read so really want like these films. I thought this one was worse than the first and, for me, Levi's performance was the worst element of the film for me. Personally, I don't think the Shazam franchise should survive the DECU reboot. If Gunn thinks the character can support a film/franchise, recast the role and start over. I'm old school so I just need Jr. and Mary. I thought both actors in those roles were great.
Im old school too. I get that Johnís revamped it in new 52 and introduced the family and all but I really kind of hated that story, with Billy getting an update to being a prick and the power being split up like that.
Old 05-29-23, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Im old school too. I get that Johnís revamped it in new 52 and introduced the family and all but I really kind of hated that story, with Billy getting an update to being a prick and the power being split up like that.
I think that's why they have Zachary Levi act like such a goof. We forgive Asher Angel's cynical antics in the first movie and find them amusing because he's a kid. If adult Zachary Levi behaved the same way, we'd think he's a prick. So they made him goofy. Of course what they should have done was kept Billy younger. In the original comics he was a 12-year-old boy, whereas in these movies he first gains the power of Shazam when he's 14 and has a huge chip on his shoulder. It's just a two year difference but it's a bigger gulf than the numbers would suggest. They needed to keep Billy younger in these movies, so he wouldn't already be turning 18 by his second outing.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-29-23 at 05:53 AM.
fujishig (06-04-23)
Old 05-29-23, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Just watched this.

For as much as I love the movie Big, Hanks plays Josh too young in that movie. The same thing happens here - a 17-year old just doesnít act like that. Heís acting more like heís 10 and thatís a huge personality difference.

Iíve finally figured out why I donít like DCís take on these films - there is just too much introduced. This has the staff, the seed, the tree, the monsters from the tree, unicorns, the sisters and their random powers, the wizard and his random powers, the Shazam team and their powers, the lair with portal doors, flying books and sentient pens, the foster system, school bullies, high school romance, the loss of their powers, the regaining of their powers, the usage of their powers in a completely different way for the climax and then randomly Wonder Woman.

Itís just too much - something new is introduced every other scene. It could have just been about how siblings try to function as a super team facing off against another group of evil siblings. Instead we have things like a complete retelling of the unicorn myth AND Skittles product placement in the middle of a climactic battle.

I thought the first movie suffered a little from this but this one was a mess.

The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
fujishig (06-04-23), Spiderbite (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Another really good DCU movie. Shame that its future is at the whim board decisions.

One thing I missed Ö was it just for the feelies that Wonder Woman shows up after Billy is buried? Kind of rude.
Old 05-29-23, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
That was the problem I had with it... why is Shazam such a spaz, yet Billy seemed serious and low key? And I feel Mary would have stepped up more as the older child than to just dismiss Shazam/Billy's attempts to be a leader by burying her head in her books. I assume that's why she gave up college, to keep an eye on the others. Also would have thought that WW would have shown up earlier to help fight Hespera, Kalypso and Anthea.

Agree 100% Overall it was a good movie but it had issues like any other...

Pros:
-The Daughters of Atlas. I liked them a lot. All the actors were good in their roles. Hated how they ended up though.
-The Shazam Family minus Shazam (see below). I love the sharing of power.

Cons:
-Zachary Levi didn't do good with Shazam this time around as he was WAY to silly. It's like they really leaned into the Shazam comedy in this one and after a while it got annoying. Shazam should have been more serious and they could leave the comedy to Billy and the family. I was also annoyed by making the Wizard a comedy source. He reminded me of how annoying Ryan Reynolds was playing Hal Jordan. Also agree Mary would have been a great leader. Don't they say that often the greatest leaders are the ones who didn't want to lead?

-Shazam when acting stupid or childish

-Wonder Woman...yeah, this battle was PURE FUCKIN' WONDER WOMAN STUFF! I mean I get that she can't always fight Shazam's battles and the Sisters were targeting Shazam and the family specifically, but come on. She is one of Whore-God Zeus' daughters!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-30-23 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-29-23, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Levi was excruciating in this. Had to turn it off after 20 minutes.
Old 05-29-23, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

-Wonder Woman...yeah, this battle was PURE FUCKIN' WONDER WOMAN STUFF! I mean I get that she can't always fight Shazam's battles and the Sister were targeting Shazam and the family specifically, but come on. She is one of Whore-God Zeus' daughters!!
Totally agree. When I first heard the premise of this movie, I'd hoped Wonder Woman was to get a supporting role, if not make it a full on team-up. She shouldn't have been used merely as a deus ex machina.

This was a good movie, but it had the potential to be so much better.
Giantrobo (05-30-23)
Old 05-29-23, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

I wish this was just a Mary solo movie. A small movie. Her dealing with powers and college would have been great.
Old 05-29-23, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
I wish this was just a Mary solo movie. A small movie. Her dealing with powers and college would have been great.
Remember when Marvel used to do One Shots? DC should have borrowed that formula here for a series of short films with each one of the kids that takes place between the two movies. Also, did you notice when Shazam asked "who wants their powers back?" that Rosa and Victor raise their hands enthusiastically? I would have enjoyed a post Fury of the Gods short with them having super powers.
Old 05-30-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Rented from Redbox today. It was “meh” to me. Didn’t do a whole lot for me.
Old 05-30-23, 06:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 956 Likes on 798 Posts

This was terrible. I had zero enjoyment outside of WW and her great theme music. Just terrible. Levi was the worst part. Which is a shame bc I do like him. From Chuck of course.
Old 06-04-23, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

This was so disappointing. I've only seen the first one once but I really enjoyed it. This one was just a messy paint by numbers superhero movie. I'm not even critical of Levi's performance as I think some of you are being pretty harsh and thinking that 17 year old boys are more mature than they really are. Taking that out of the equation, they shifted a lot of the main parts of the story to Freddy, which is fine, but then you force Billy/Shazam into a supporting character which i think is a huge mistake. Then you bring Wonder Woman into the film for a cheesy ending instead of having her be a bigger part of the film which would have made the 3rd act so much better. Then you look at the cgi and there were so many bad shots.

It just feels like DC and Marvel are not worried about the quality of their films anymore as long as they make a good one once in awhile. Everything is about hooking you into thinking about the films in the pipeline rather than the film you are currently watching. Its become tiring at this point and for me, these aren't must see films anymore.
Old 06-04-23, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I think some of you are being pretty harsh and thinking that 17 year old boys are more mature than they really are.
That's not it at all. The problem is that Billy is portrayed as being more mature than Shazam when they are the same person. Zachary Levi and Asher Angel come across a if they are playing two separate characters. Notice how this disconnect does not occur between Freddy and his superhero alter ego.
Old 06-04-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Right, the Honest Trailers skit pointed this out too, they're supposed to be playing the same character but aren't, at all. This was also true of the first one but it is even more pronounced with this one. Do you really see Billy going to the pediatrician and acting like that in his human form? No way.

The whole film I was like "man, Mary's actor grew up to look just like her super powered actor" and only later did I realize that of course they just cast her for both parts.

I know they're just kids but they did nothing to nullify Hestia's power so I have no idea why they thought putting her in a prison was going to work. At all. The villains were pretty tacked on as well. Why does Anthea go to school? To find out about the Marvel family? Also Hestia and Anthea kind of had a point about the Wizard screwing them over. And then the magic of product placement, I mean skittles? What in the world? If you're going to have a bunch of monsters just let the kids keep their powers so we get some cool fight scenes with them instead of whatever they did with the unicorns.

About the only thing I liked about the movie was the interaction between the family. Oh and I did like the callback to breaking the staff, I thought that was cute. I still think Levi would be cool in a Justice Society or League movie but so much for that.
Old 06-04-23, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That's not it at all. The problem is that Billy is portrayed as being more mature than Shazam when they are the same person. Zachary Levi and Asher Angel come across a if they are playing two separate characters. Notice how this disconnect does not occur between Freddy and his superhero alter ego.
The problem is that Asher Angel has no screen time in this movie so it's hard to evaluate why he acts the way he does but you could argue that he becomes cocky when he transforms. And I don't agree that Freddy is the same either. He becomes much more confident when he transforms. The rooftop scene is the best example of this. But even if I did agree, that's not the movie's main problem. Billy/Shazam isn't really an important character in the film. His sacrifice at the end is meaningless. And then when they undo it, it's even more meaningless.
Old 06-04-23, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I don't agree that Freddy is the same either. He becomes much more confident when he transforms. The rooftop scene is the best example of this.
I disagree. Although he tries to put a mature act, you can still "see" it's Freddy playing it up for Anthea. He still rambles through what he wants to say, stammering through what he intends to be cool things he's saying about his non super powered self. As for confidence, Anthea points out earlier how he just kept giving the bullies shit even though they physically out matched him. Freddy has never been timid.

Billy/Shazam isn't really an important character in the film. His sacrifice at the end is meaningless. And then when they undo it, it's even more meaningless.
After the prologue, the movie begins with Billy suffering from imposter syndrome and smothering his family because of his abandonment issues. He's still very much the main character. The problem is how clunky the movie is at getting that point across. That being said, I agree we need more of human Billy. Especially Billy with Rosa, in order to better sell the "my Billy" scene between them. And I agree his sacrifice and resurrection were rushed. There needed to be more of a mourning period, Wonder Woman should have been a supporting character, and perhaps the movie should have ended with the possibility of Billy returning rather than an actual resurrection.

I still enjoyed the movie, despite its many flaws. I just wish it had been better.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-04-23 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-05-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

Saw it. Completely forgettable, which is sad, because of how food the first one was. I will say the CGI looked top notch compared to other things I have recently seen.
Old 08-01-23, 07:12 PM

Received 819 Likes on 534 Posts

3.5 stars.

Itís a shame it wasnít better than it was.

I watched this in the plane from Atlanta to San Antonio, so it helped the time pass quickly. Perfect length of time.

I agree that the Billy character was seriously concerned and the Shazam character was seriously stupid. That threw it off for me.

The Daughters of Atlas were great as were the rest of the Marvel Family.

I felt that the stakes were raised and a threat was felt and that the resolution matched the intensity of the momentÖ and then was ruined with the ďzombieĒ hand.

I was shocked that Kalypso made Dieterís character walk off the building (poor Freddie having to see that - and his response was appropriate) and that the tree creatures offed so many innocent people (and so violently).

Freddie and the rest of the ďfamilyĒ had great development (as did Billy)Ö but Shazam was by far the weak link.

Iíd keep watching these, but Iím not sure theyíll keep making them.