DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film (2025) - S: DiCaprio, Penn, Hall (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/657475-untitled-paul-thomas-anderson-film-2025-s-dicaprio-penn-hall.html)

Throwing Copper 03-15-23 10:49 PM

Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film (2025) - S: DiCaprio, Penn, Hall

Production Weekly listed a July start date in Los Angeles for the new PTA movie.

Leonardo DiCaprio, Joaquin Phoenix, Regina Hall and Viggo Mortensen are listed in the cast.

So we finally have some news and this is pretty awesome.

Decker 03-16-23 01:02 AM

re: Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film (2025) - S: DiCaprio, Penn, Hall

Wow, Leo in a PTA film? That's awesome. He will have quite literally worked with just about every great filmmaker of his Era.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-16-23 02:05 AM

I don't care about the plot or the story but with those 3 names attached I will watch it for sure.

dex14 03-16-23 06:42 AM

The rumor is this is his long gestating adaption of the novel Vineland.

The cast isn't a lock yet.

Throwing Copper 03-16-23 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14247743)
Wow, Leo in a PTA film? That's awesome. He will have quite literally worked with just about every great filmmaker of his Era.

I think Leo and Paul have been circling each other for many years. I knew when Leo’s dad was cast in Licorice Pizza that it might not be long.

I still can’t imagine Leo (the scrawny way he looked then) playing Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights.

What was odd last night is the leak/news I saw was about Regina Hall joining the cast.

I hadn’t heard anything other than PTA was going to shoot a film in July.

It’s quite possible that Hall plays the lead role, a black jazz singer in 1930’s LA. Thankfully, he didn’t go with Tiffany Haddish, who Paul likes and considered.

Hopefully, Leo and Joaquin don’t have the Sean Penn/Bradley Cooper small roles like the last movie.

dex14 01-10-24 11:26 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has Paul Thomas Anderson set to direct Oscar winners Leonardo DiCaprio & Sean Penn and Regina Hall in an untitled film that will begin production this year in California. Anderson wrote the script, and he will produce the film with Sara Murphy and Adam Somner.

The film is currently untitled and they’re keeping the logline under wraps. We have learned that it is a contemporary setting and it is the most commercial one that PTA has attempted, with commensurate budget. It came out of a relationship that Warner Bros Picture Group co-chair/CEOs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy built making PTA’s last film, Licorice Pizza, while they ran MGM. That film got three Oscar noms for Best Picture, and Best Screenplay and Best Director for PTA. While DiCaprio, Penn and Hall are the leads, the new film will have a big ensemble cast that is still falling into place. Anderson has done ensemble in the past, notably with Boogie Nights, the film that De Luca shepherded when he headed production at New Line.
https://deadline.com/2024/01/leonard...os-1235709076/

Throwing Copper 01-10-24 02:09 PM

OMG. Excited about this.

Coral 01-10-24 09:01 PM

PTA... I'm in.

dex14 01-30-24 06:55 AM

Decker 01-30-24 09:12 AM

Wow, shooting already?

bluetoast 01-30-24 09:16 AM

Leo was probably like “Let’s start shooting” after the nominations came out last week.

dex14 01-30-24 09:18 AM

It was supposed to start in the fall but was delayed due to strikes. It was ready to go.

Based on the pics... it looks like PTA is finally doing his Vineland adaptation.

RichC2 01-30-24 09:35 AM

...in that case, there better be Ninjas.

Bluelitespecial 01-30-24 03:48 PM

In the Boogie Nights commentary PTA said Dicaprio was his original choice for Dirk Diggler so it's cool to see them both finally working together.

Osiris3657 01-30-24 05:36 PM

PTA to me, unlike most posters here, is very hit and miss. I only really like his first 4 films and everything since There Will Be Blood has been boring and pretentious. The Master, anyone? Phantom Thread? Yawn. Frankly, PTA could direct a 3 hour movie of someone filling out paperwork and some posters here would call it a masterpiece

I'll give this a chance, but my expectations aren't high. Doesn't matter that he has A listers in his film

rocket1312 01-30-24 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 14381848)
PTA to me, unlike most posters here, is very hit and miss. I only really like his first 4 films and everything since There Will Be Blood has been boring and pretentious. The Master, anyone? Phantom Thread? Yawn. Frankly, PTA could direct a 3 hour movie of someone filling out paperwork and some posters here would call it a masterpiece

I'll give this a chance, but my expectations aren't high. Doesn't matter that he has A listers in his film

I couldn't even begin to imagine someone thinking Licorice Pizza was pretentious. Boring? Maybe. Different strokes for different folks and all. But pretentious? No way.

And regardless of how much one likes them, I don't see how anyone could think the Master or the Phantom Thread are any more pretentious than Magnolia or There Will Be Blood.
​​​​​​

bluesix 01-30-24 11:08 PM

I agree, PTA is anything but boring. Well, maybe The Master.

Nobody does period LA movies like PTA. Can't wait to see what he does with Vineland but it will be worth it alone just to take a ride with PTA back to LA in the 70s!

GoldenJCJ 01-30-24 11:15 PM

Licorice Pizza was pretentious or boring. It was just edited so poorly it almost ruined the movie.

dex14 01-31-24 03:14 PM

As has become the ritual for any Paul Thomas Anderson picture, after a brief trade announcement giving very little details, set photos are now pouring in, launching a trail of breadcrumbs fit for the sleuthing likes of Doc Sportello. After revealing production would kick off in Eureka, California under the name “BC Project,” star Leonardo DiCaprio has been spotted sporting quite the look, joined by a co-star.

As one can see below, DiCaprio is filming a scene at a restaurant alongside an actress revealed to be newcomer Chase Infiniti, according to Daniel Richtman. While he can often be off the mark with his rumors, doing a bit more digging on her official site and Instagram and the resemblance certainly matches. Infiniti is a recent graduate of Columbia College Chicago Theatre’s Musical Theatre Performance BFA program and only other credit being a role in the forthcoming Presumed Innocent series.

The set image was first posted by Victor Tapia on Facebook from Carmela’s Mexican Restaurant, north of Eureka.

The casting has also further fueled much speculation that Paul Thomas Anderson is taking on a contemporary update of Thomas Pynchon’s Vineland, shifting its depiction of Reagan’s reign of terror to the MAGA state of today. If this proves to be the case, we would imagine DiCaprio takes the lead Zoyd Wheeler role, Regina Hall is Frenesi Gates, Chase Infiniti is their daughter Prairie, and Sean Penn plays the villainous Brock Vond.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Kg&oe=65BF4E22

https://thefilmstage.com/paul-thomas...-next-feature/

dex14 02-02-24 02:30 PM

Paul Thomas Anderson has rounded out the cast of his latest feature. Alana Haim, who made her acting debut in Anderson’s Licorice Pizza, and A Thousand and One break-out Teyana Taylor have been added to the cast, along with Wood Harris and Shayna McHayle.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...or-1235813631/

Decker 02-02-24 03:14 PM

Cool. Glad to see Alana cast again. She deserved an Oscar nod for her debut.

Nesbit 02-02-24 05:46 PM

Yeah she was really good. Looking forward to this.

TomOpus 02-03-24 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 14381853)
I couldn't even begin to imagine someone thinking Licorice Pizza was pretentious.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 14381958)
Licorice Pizza was pretentious

Maybe there are different definitions of pretentious.

GoldenJCJ 02-03-24 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 14383290)
Maybe there are different definitions of pretentious.

Well shit. That was a typo. I meant to write it WASN’T pretentious.

I really need to proofread my posts better.

JeffTheAlpaca 02-03-24 08:54 PM

I heard they were filming some of this in the Bay Area too.