Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (2026, D: Serkis)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-23-23, 03:53 PM

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,196 Posts

Warner Bros. and New Line are going back to Middle-earth, with the studio making a deal that will allow it to develop more Lord of the Rings movies.

The multi-year deal with rights holders Embracer Group AB allows Warners to develop features based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit. Embracer Group, the Swedish gaming company, acquired the rights to LOTR film, games, merchandise, theme parks and live productions when it purchased rights holder Middle-earth Enterprises last year from The Saul Zaentz Company.

The move, announced during Warner Bros. Discovery’s investor call Thursday, comes as CEO David Zaslav seeks to assure Wall Street that Warners is very much in the franchise game as he harkens back to the 2000s glory days when the studio was minting money with Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and The Dark Knight trilogy. In November, Zaslav said he would like to make a deal with author J.K. Rowling for more Harry Potter, and initially floated the notion of a Lord of the Rings return.

Peter Jackson directed the Lord of the Rings trilogy, released from 2001-03. The series earned a combined $2.9 billion at the box office, with 2003’s Return of the King winning best picture. Jackson returned to direct The Hobbit trilogy (2012-14). New Line already had the animated feature The War of the Rohirrim on the calendar for 2024.

Rights to the Tolkien works have always been a little dicey and a long-standing legal dispute between Warners and the Tolkien estate went on for years before being settled in 2017. A newer complicating matter from a consumer standpoint: Amazon holds the TV rights to Lord of the Rings, with its mega-budget Rings of Power streaming last year. One question the new series of films will face is how to convince audiences to go to the theater if they can get their fix at home. One big difference here, however, is that Warners now has the rights to Tolkien’s big guns, such as Gandalf, Bilbo, and Aragorn.

And, of course, as much as new movies present opportunities for big franchise swings, they will come under fan scrutiny, just as much as the current Warners franchise plays, such as DC and Fantastic Beasts, do.

In a statement, those working on the projects acknowledge the task ahead.

“We understand how cherished these works are and working together with our partners at New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures, we plan to honor the past, look to the future, and adhere to the strongest level of quality and production values,” said Lee Guinchard, CEO of Freemode, which is part of Embracer.

And Warner Bros. film bosses Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy signaled that they are not interested in a retread of what Jackson has already done, saying in their own statement: “Twenty years ago, New Line took an unprecedented leap of faith to realize the incredible stories, characters and world of The Lord of the Rings on the big screen. The result was a landmark series of films that have been embraced by generations of fans. But for all the scope and detail lovingly packed into the two trilogies, the vast, complex and dazzling universe dreamed up by J.R.R. Tolkien remains largely unexplored on film. The opportunity to invite fans deeper into the cinematic world of Middle-earth is an honor, and we are excited to partner with Middle-earth Enterprises and Embracer on this adventure.”

The deal is a coming not only a coming home for LOTR but also a reunion for De Luca. The executive was the president of production for New Line when the first movie, Fellowship of the Ring, began production, but was famously let go before the movie that movie was released.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...rks-1235332695
Old 02-23-23, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,340 Likes on 2,134 Posts
re: Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (2026, D: Serkis)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is perhaps the greatest cinematic achievement in my lifetime. It’s hard to improve on those movies.

I never even finished The Hobbit Trilogy. I saw the first one and maybe the second one but never bothered with the third. They weren’t particularly impressive.

I also have yet to finish the Amazon Rings of Power series. The first few episodes were alright but weren’t very captivating to me.

So far it’s 1 out of 3 for me. It’ll take quite a bit for me to care much about new movies.
The following 3 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Bandoman (02-24-23), BobO'Link (02-24-23), tanman (03-02-23)
Old 02-23-23, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 376 Posts

"Somehow, Sauron returned"

Maybe Arwen dies and then Aragon goes to an island to pout. A new hero goes to find Frodo and Gandalf to search for Aragon.
The following 2 users liked this post by stvn1974:
Nesbit (05-09-24), ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,800 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Good luck to whoever gets the job to write these. That’s a daunting task. Whoever gets this job has to really love Tokkien and understand the mythology.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,863 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Good luck to whoever gets the job to write these.
Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson?

ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 670 Likes on 520 Posts

I wonder if they'll follow Tolkien's abandoned storyline of Túrin Turambar returning to life for a final confrontation with Morgoth.

There were several prophecies that Túrin would return from death. According to the Second Prophecy of Mandos, at the end of time Morgoth will return to Valinor to wage a final battle against the Valar and Túrin will return to "deal unto Morgoth his death and final end."[15]​​​​​​
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,227 Likes on 944 Posts

I'm in. But as that PR says, don't expect Peter Jackson to be involved.
Old 02-23-23, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I never even finished The Hobbit Trilogy. I saw the first one and maybe the second one but never bothered with the third. They weren’t particularly impressive.
If you ever decide to give the third film a shot, make sure you watch the extended cut. Not for any narrative improvements (they are minimal, and Jackson actually ommited
in both cuts that makes Thranduil's change of heart at the end not seem to come out of nowhere -- seriously, why was that not in the extended cut?) but because of the jarring bursts of graphic violence in a few scenes (like when Galadriel explodes an orc into bloody chunks, early in the film). It's so wildly disconnected and inconsistent that it becomes a sight to behold. And I actually like the Hobbit trilogy.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Deadman31 (02-24-23), ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 05:39 PM

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,196 Posts

No filmmakers have been attached to the projects as yet, but in a statement to Variety, Jackson and his main “Lord of the Rings” collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens said Warner Bros. and Embracer “have kept us in the loop every step of the way.”

“We look forward to speaking with them further to hear their vision for the franchise moving forward,” Jackson, Walsh and Boyens said.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/l...os-1235533672/
Old 02-23-23, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,863 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wonder if they'll follow Tolkien's abandoned storyline of Túrin Turambar returning to life for a final confrontation with Morgoth.
I would say probably not. The way the Tolkien estate doles out the movie and tv rights is kind of screwy; I think they will only them to adapt and spin off stuff from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and not things from other works like The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, etc.

It has been speculated that this is the reason Annatar wasn't included in Rings of Power, and Ungoliant wasn't shown destroying the trees.

If this is the case, it's frustrating that Tolkien's heirs are selling rights to make things that take place outside of the main The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and then making large pieces of the lore off-limits to them.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Alright then. Variety for the clutch hit.
Old 02-23-23, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would say probably not. The way the Tolkien estate doles out the movie and tv rights is kind of screwy; I think they will only them to adapt and spin off stuff from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and not things from other works like The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, etc.

It has been speculated that this is the reason Annatar wasn't included in Rings of Power, and Ungoliant wasn't shown destroying the trees.

If this is the case, it's frustrating that Tolkien's heirs are selling rights to make things that take place outside of the main The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and then making large pieces of the lore off-limits to them.
Wasn't Christopher Tolkien the main culprit, stemming from his hatred towards the Jackson trilogy (I remember him dismissing them as silly action pictures, or something to that effect)? I seem to recall him being the reason the appendices were off limits for the Hobbit trilogy (LOTR and The Hobbit were both optioned for the first trilogy, so Christopher Tolkien couldn't bar them from making the Hobbit trilogy). Maybe with his passing things will be different?
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wasn't Christopher Tolkien the main culprit, stemming from his hatred towards the Jackson trilogy (I remember him dismissing them as silly action pictures, or something to that effect)? I seem to recall him being the reason the appendices were off limits for the Hobbit trilogy (LOTR and The Hobbit were both optioned for the first trilogy, so Christopher Tolkien couldn't bar them from making the Hobbit trilogy). Maybe with his passing things will be different?
He was the main culprit, then I believe Simon Tolkien, his son (I think?) controlled the rights and made the deal with Amazon, which caused a Tolkien family rift before Christopher died. Granted, there was already a rift, as you mentioned, when Christopher dismissed the Jackson films. Simon loved them, though.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

No filmmakers attached tells me the suits at WBD said to themselves...."Oh we have a valuable IP (LOTR), so let's make another movie!"
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
ntnon (05-09-24), tanman (03-02-23)
Old 02-23-23, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

Yawn.
Old 02-23-23, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

I really don't see the point of this beyond the obvious cash grab, but even then, I am doubtful it's going to be a big draw.
Old 02-23-23, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Also, by more Harry Potter I assume they mean the actual character, because they already tried to give us more of that world and it was the drizzling shits.
Old 02-23-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 707 Likes on 436 Posts

Whatever it is, it'd be hard pressed to be actually worse than Rings of Power, but this is Hollywood after all.
Old 02-23-23, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,047 Posts

I suppose one story that could be done is the hunt for Gollum which is in the time between The Hobbit and Fellowship. It’s mainly Aragorn and Gandalf but you could easily add some more rangers and maybe even other of the wizards.

Does Rings of Power have the rights to the two blue wizards?

Also, War of the Rohirrim is still on the way.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I suppose one story that could be done is the hunt for Gollum which is in the time between The Hobbit and Fellowship. It’s mainly Aragorn and Gandalf but you could easily add some more rangers and maybe even other of the wizards.

Does Rings of Power have the rights to the two blue wizards?

Also, War of the Rohirrim is still on the way.
From what I remember, Amazon has the rights to the Blue Wizards, but not their names.
Old 02-23-23, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Always wondered what happened to the hobbits after the 36 endings that culminated in the main one accepting death.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-23-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Also, by more Harry Potter I assume they mean the actual character, because they already tried to give us more of that world and it was the drizzling shits.
I just don't see Daniel Whatshisname or Emma Watson ever coming back for more Harry Potter films. I am sure they both have enough money and they seem like they have moved on years ago.
Old 02-23-23, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 891 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Yawn.
That's what I was doing during the first LOTR movie. I couldn't put myself through that again for 2 more movies.

So 3 LOTR movies that make Scorsese movies feel short, and 3 long-ass Hobbit movies - all in the last 22 years... and they want to do more of this crap?
Move on already.
Old 02-24-23, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Coral
That's what I was doing during the first LOTR movie. I couldn't put myself through that again for 2 more movies.

So 3 LOTR movies that make Scorsese movies feel short, and 3 long-ass Hobbit movies - all in the last 22 years... and they want to do more of this crap?
Move on already.
Obviously these movies aren't for you. But, the series including The Hobbit has made close to $6 billion in box office, so it's understandable how attractive the IP is. Plus, there is an Amazon TV series.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...gs#tab=summary
Why So Blu? (02-24-23)
Old 02-24-23, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

I just wish we could get extended versions of the PJ trilogy on HBO Max outside the US ...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.