Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (2026, D: Serkis)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (2026, D: Serkis)

Old 02-24-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts
re: Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (2026, D: Serkis)

If they aren't trying to adapt Silmarillion or do anything with other actual Tolkien manuscripts, then this is really nothing more than another cash-in on the IP like Rings of Power.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
B.A. (02-24-23), BobO'Link (05-09-24), tanman (03-02-23)
Old 02-24-23, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts

No

no

and

no
Old 02-24-23, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

There’s the history of bad ideas and suddenly a new contender emerges…
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (02-25-23)
Old 02-24-23, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,340 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Whatever it is, it'd be hard pressed to be actually worse than Rings of Power, but this is Hollywood after all.
We’ll see if they spend a billion dollars on this one.
Old 02-25-23, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 405 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm surprised that hardly anyone here seems to be interested in the idea of more stories from Middle-Earth. Of course it's a cash grab, it's the movie business, but it doesn't mean it can't be any good.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
DJariya (02-25-23), ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-25-23, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,804 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I'm surprised that hardly anyone here seems to be interested in the idea of more stories from Middle-Earth. Of course it's a cash grab, it's the movie business, but it doesn't mean it can't be any good.
Thats just how it is. The knee jerk reaction is for everyone to be cynical. We’ll see this is a super long way from happening. They need to find the right storytellers to make this work. Like I said, to me it’s a daunting task.
Old 02-25-23, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

It sounds like they want to tell more stories with characters who have already had their stories told, so no, I'm not very hopeful this can be good.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-25-23, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,963 Posts

I think one of the biggest problems is that there still a lot of stories yet to be told in Middle Earth, but the Tolkien estate won't let them be told. The War of Wrath would probably make an excellent series of movies, but they won't let anyone have the rights to The Silmarillion. As I mentioned above, it is believed that this one of the reasons Annatar wasn't seen in Amazon's Rings of Power series, which is a pretty crucial piece of the mythology to leave out.

And, on top of that, I don't think many trust creators to tell stories that are true to Tolkien's world. And, again, going back to Rings of Power, see how they butchered Galadriel's character and threw in a bunch of weird and unnecessary additions to Tolkien's mythology like the secret origin of Mithril.
BobO'Link (05-09-24)
Old 02-26-23, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 387 Likes on 275 Posts

I have no problem with this. But I also have no attachment to the books, as some of you do.

I hope it's good. The LOTR trilogy is probably the best movie of my life.

The Hobbit is good, but felt like it was rushed along without as much passion. I skipped watching it for the first few years for some reason. I watched it again about a year ago, after watching the LOTR trilogy, and was more impressed.

I'm aware there's a lifetime of stories to film.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-26-23, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 405 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think one of the biggest problems is that there still a lot of stories yet to be told in Middle Earth, but the Tolkien estate won't let them be told. The War of Wrath would probably make an excellent series of movies, but they won't let anyone have the rights to The Silmarillion. As I mentioned above, it is believed that this one of the reasons Annatar wasn't seen in Amazon's Rings of Power series, which is a pretty crucial piece of the mythology to leave out.

And, on top of that, I don't think many trust creators to tell stories that are true to Tolkien's world. And, again, going back to Rings of Power, see how they butchered Galadriel's character and threw in a bunch of weird and unnecessary additions to Tolkien's mythology like the secret origin of Mithril.
I'm not a religious fantatic. So I actually could enjoy a really good TV show.
Old 02-27-23, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts

If it's done well, I'm all for it. I liked the Hobbit movies, although far less than the LOTR movies. I haven't watched the tv show yet.
Old 02-27-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 376 Posts

Sean Astin isn't doing anything, how about a trilogy of Sam gardening?
Old 02-27-23, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I hope the first sequel sets up a lot of unanswered questions, the second one is written/directed by a different person who shifts the trilogy into a completely different direction, then the first director comes back for the third to try and retcon the second one as much as possible due to fan outrage.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 02-27-23, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^They should have done something like that with the Star Wars sequel trilogy.
Old 02-27-23, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 673 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
I hope the first sequel sets up a lot of unanswered questions, the second one is written/directed by a different person who shifts the trilogy into a completely different direction, then the first director comes back for the third to try and retcon the second one as much as possible due to fan outrage.
The Ainu Awakens
The Last Ithryn
​​​​The Rise of Gamgee
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 03-01-23, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I saw this article and it doesn’t sound like bad way to go. Admittedly, I never read the books but I love the movies.

"Hear me out: New trilogy where the entire first movie is just Tom Bombadil, the second one is Éowyn and Faramir in the Houses of Healing, and the third is the Scouring of the Shire. Actually make the entire trilogy about Tom Bombadil,"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...152905043.html

Old 03-01-23, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts

I always skip the Bombadil parts when I read the books, so a movie based on him is going to have to be pretty great to get me interested.
Old 03-01-23, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 673 Likes on 522 Posts

Fuck Tom Bombadil. I know Tolkien added him in for his kids, but fuck him. He's the Jar Jar Binks of The Lord of the Rings.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
BobO'Link (05-09-24), Why So Blu? (03-01-23)
Old 03-02-23, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 708 Posts

For me it's just that the LotR trilogy is as perfect of a movie trilogy as is. We've already visited the Hobbit which was hampered by executives wanting to extend the shortest book into three long movies. And the Rings of Power which has been a confusing snoozefest so far. That combined with the quagmire that is the Tolkien estate and their inconsistent dolling out of IP and I don't have any faith at all that a really good Middle-Earth story can be crafted. Certainly be able to touch the LotR. So why bother? It just comes off as a cash grab rather then a passion project and that usually doesn't bode well for a movie from this franchise.
BobO'Link (03-02-23)
Old 05-09-24, 07:22 AM

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,200 Posts
Re: New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movies in the Works at Warners, New Line

Warner Bros. has made it official: It will be returning to Middle Earth.

On Warner Bros. Discovery’s first-quarter earnings conference call on Thursday, CEO David Zaslav said that the company is “now in the early stages of script development” for new Lord of the Rings movies, which he says they “anticipate releasing in 2026” and will “explore storylines yet to be told.”

The first film, from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures, will be called Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (WT), with Andy Serkis set to star and direct the feature,

Zaslav says that director Peter Jackson and his longtime writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens “will be involved every step of the way.” Boyens and Walsh will write the screenplay. The deal covers two films in the franchise.

“It is an honour and a privilege to travel back to Middle-earth with our good friend and collaborator, Andy Serkis, who has unfinished business with that Stinker – Gollum!,” Jackson, Boyens and Walsh said in a statement. “As life long fans of Professor Tolkien’s vast mythology, we are proud to be working with Mike De Luca, Pam Abdy and the entire team at Warner Bros. on another epic adventure!”

““Yesssss, Precious. The time has come once more to venture into the unknown with my dear friends, the extraordinary and incomparable guardians of Middle Earth Peter, Fran and Philippa,” added Serkis. “With Mike and Pam, and the Warner Bros team on the quest as well, alongside WETA and our film making family in New Zealand, it’s just all too delicious…”.

“Lord of the Rings is one of the most successful and revered franchises in history and presents a significant opportunity for our theatrical business,” Zaslav said.

WBD first said that it was developing new LOTR movies a little over a year ago, cutting a deal with rights holders Embracer Group AB to develop new films based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s book series.

“For over two-decades, moviegoers have embraced the Lord of the Rings film trilogy because of the undeniable devotion Peter, Fran and Philippa have shown towards protecting the legacy of Tolkien’s works, and to ensure audiences could experience the incredible world he created in a way that honors his literary vision,” WBD film chiefs Pam Abdy and Michael De Luca added. “We are honored they have agreed be our partners on these two new films. With Andy coming aboard to direct Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum(*WT), we continue an important commitment to excellence that is a true hallmark of how we all want to venture ahead and further contribute to the Lord of the Rings cinematic history.”

As The Hollywood Reporter noted at the time, Amazon is also developing its own larger TV universe for the franchise, potentially leading to the two competitive visions. Jackson and his co-writers were said to be frustrated that many people thought they were involved in the Amazon shows, when they were not.

The news that Jackson, Boyens and Walsh will be involved in the new film franchise is sure to calm any concerns from loyal fans.

The original film trilogy, which won a slew of Oscars, will be returning to theaters this summer, remastered and extended
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...on-1235894513/

Last edited by dex14; 05-09-24 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-09-24, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (2026, D: Serkis)

Wonder what form the movie will take.

In the books, there was a two-decade gap between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Gandalf returning with information about the Ring. In that time, Gandalf and Strider tried to find Gollum.

I suppose the movie could take place between those scenes of the LOTR film, and have Gandalf, Strider, Legolas, and maybe a few more characters in a race to track down Gollum before the Nazgul find him. (Which we know they did from the torture scene in the FOTR film where he gave up "Baggins" and "Shire.")
Old 05-09-24, 02:14 PM

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

This sounds like a gaming app.
IBJoel (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,183 Likes on 922 Posts

There actually was a Gollum centric game not long ago and from what I hear it wasn’t very good. Not to say the movie couldn’t be better but I’m hesitant to get excited about it.
Old 05-09-24, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,047 Posts

There was a fan film by this name, never got around to watching it. Not sure how I feel about dipping back into this. I hope they have proper prep time, unlike the Hobbit trilogy.
I think it could have been done well with three films, but Jackson and co. were absolutely rushed on that project.

Still more interested in The War of the Rohirrim.
Old 05-09-24, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,227 Likes on 944 Posts

Prep time should be fine. This will be released in 2026, most likely December of 2026.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.