DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/657314-ant-man-wasp-quantumania-2023-d-reed-s-rudd-majors-spoiler-reviews-thread.html)

DJariya 02-15-23 08:56 PM

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...79f333dea3.jpg

Super-Hero partners Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) and Hope van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) return to continue their adventures as Ant-Man and the Wasp. Together, with Hope's parents Janet van Dyne (Michelle Pfeiffer) and Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), and Scott's daughter Cassie Lang (Kathryn Newton), the family finds themselves exploring the Quantum Realm, interacting with strange new creatures and embarking on an adventure that will push them beyond the limits of what they thought possible.

Running Time: 2 Hours, 5 minutes

RT Score: 51% as of 2/15/23

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ant...sp_quantumania

Budget: Reportedly around $200M

There are 2 post credits scenes

Critics reviews seem very mixed on this. I plan to see it Friday afternoon.

Screenings start Thursday

RocShemp 02-15-23 09:03 PM

Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

In the poster, is Michael Douglas holding one of Star Lord's guns?

Why So Blu? 02-15-23 09:13 PM

Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 14235693)
In the poster, is Michael Douglas holding one of Star Lord's guns?

He's holding the same type of gun the guy underneath him is holding.

RocShemp 02-15-23 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14235696)
He's holding the same type of gun the guy underneath him is holding.

Huh. Good catch.

dex14 02-16-23 04:34 PM

I found it to be kind of boring.

Looking forward to Loki Season 2 with that tease though.

ViewAskewbian 02-16-23 07:32 PM

Don’t know what the reviewers are on about, this film was a blast . Kang was a bad ass!

stingermck 02-16-23 08:32 PM

Yup that was a wild movie and a lot of fun. So many visual effects that were well done.

We are in for a treat with more Kang. Majors was great.

ViewAskewbian 02-16-23 08:41 PM

My only gripes:
I missed his fast talkin' friend in this one.
Also, I know why they do it (we casted big name actor and we need to show their faces) but, damn, it bugs me when these characters take off their helmets/masks (basically, their head/face protection) in the middle of battles and chaos.

But, yeah, it's loaded with CGI but the visuals are fantastic. Lots of little things I'll probably catch more of on the second or third viewing. I thought the comedy worked great ("I have holes!!!") and while MODOK looked a little weird (which is par for the course I guess), I didn't mind the callback to the first film.

Best part of the film though is Majors. You got an appetizer in the Loki show but this Kang is such a badass. There's thousands of him out there so interesting how they weave him into coming instalments. Nice tease at the next LOKI show in the second end credits.

blairwitchfan 02-16-23 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 14236225)
My only gripes:
I missed his fast talkin' friend in this one.
Also, I know why they do it (we casted big name actor and we need to show their faces) but, damn, it bugs me when these characters take off their helmets/masks (basically, their head/face protection) in the middle of battles and chaos.

But, yeah, it's loaded with CGI but the visuals are fantastic. Lots of little things I'll probably catch more of on the second or third viewing. I thought the comedy worked great ("I have holes!!!") and while MODOK looked a little weird (which is par for the course I guess), I didn't mind the callback to the first film.

Best part of the film though is Majors. You got an appetizer in the Loki show but this Kang is such a badass. There's thousands of him out there so interesting how they weave him into coming instalments. Nice tease at the next LOKI show in the second end credits.

Did the effects team from Sharknado 6 work on MODOK?. I mean, seriously, that was so awful

Wolf359 02-16-23 10:52 PM

This was a blast. Much better than the last 3 movies. Glad I don't listen to critics or YouTube.

ViewAskewbian 02-17-23 07:23 AM

So, another one of these big divisions between audience reviews and critics.

Critics: 49% rotten
Audience: 85% fresh

IBJoel 02-17-23 11:27 AM

The movie was totally fine for me. I really hate when characters are cryptic for basically no reason, though.

I think MODOK CGI is just doomed from the start. CGI works best on 1. inorganics, especially straight lines and 2. things the audience isn't already familiar with. Everyone knows what a human face looks like, so it looks weird when you mess with its dimensions and scale. Add to that all the compositing issues movies seem to be having lately...

Also!
Spoiler:
Didn't Immortus Kang in the mid-credits scene look like Lo Pan from Big Trouble?

The Spectre 02-17-23 07:28 PM

I love the MCU, but this film felt flat and boring on certain parts. Still, loved how they made Hank and Janet badasses. A much due respect from the MCU to two of the original Avengers.

Didn’t mind MODOKs CGI. Felt Kang was a badass but he should have had this win to make a point of how powerful and dangerous Kangs are.

At the end of the day it felt that this was a Ant-Man and the Micronauts film vs Kang. The homages to the Micronauts could be seen everywhere even though they can’t be named due to rights reasons.

One thing that I feel the movie lost me on is on how does Quantumania ties with the Phase 4 films. Is this film happening at the same time that Dr Strange is having his multiverse adventure? Phase 1 and 2 of the MCU kinda established how the timeline of films were going with little easter eggs during the film or after credit scenes mixing the characters from different films to explain where they are time wise. Phase 4 and now 5 has avoided answering this, the same way they have refused to answer if the Avengers are still a team. If they are, why aren’t they exchanging stories about what’s going on in their respective adventures? If they aren’t, then, are the Avengers over or on a hiatus? Seems like everyone is learning about the multiverse on their own and keeping it quiet about it.

DJariya 02-17-23 08:51 PM

Just got back from seeing a Dolby showing that was pretty full. No one left once the credits started rolling. Everyone stayed for both scenes.

It was entertaining, but no where near being great. There was some stuff that was really goofy. Ex. MODOK. The way they did it just didn't work for me. It looked like they just cut and paste Corey Stoll's face in that template. People in my theater laughed once it was revealed to be Darren from Ant-Man 1.

The movie was like 95% CG virtual world at The Volume sound stages.

:thumbsup: Michelle Pfeiffer was great as was Jonathan Majors. He was a much more intimidating character compared to his introduction in Loki and they definitely left things open for Kang. Was surprised the 2nd post credits was pretty much a tease for Loki season 2.

Entertaining. I did like it more than Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. But, I don't think I liked it enough to ever re-visit it again. I think this was a case where once was enough for me. It's too bad that a lot of the recent Marvel content just doesn't have the replay value of past films.

csant 02-18-23 12:51 AM

Very entertaining but like DJariya mentioned not a film I will most likely ever watch again. I think I might have watch the other 2 once as well. Definitely didnt suck...

Goldberg74 02-18-23 05:00 PM

My 13yo son and I just got back from a matinee. We loved it.

The first Ant Man film is still in my top 5 MCU films, so I knew I’d like it either way… and I wasn’t disappointed.

MODOFK was odd looking and the CGI seemed off (especially his “death” scene)… but I’m glad he died with dignity and not as a dick… oh, we didn’t need to see his butt (and was Scott’s “baby legs” comment a shout out to Deadpool?).

Loved the final battle and the cannonball.

My son watched Loki Season 1 this week to prepare for this and I watched eps 1-4 with him. Now I have to go back and watch the rest again.

I was entertained and I’ll watch it again eventually.

GatorDeb 02-18-23 09:48 PM

Just got back, loved it, can't wait to read all about Khan.

RocShemp 02-18-23 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 14237013)
Just got back, loved it, can't wait to read all about Khan.

They got Ricardo Moltanbán in this?

The Antipodean 02-18-23 10:41 PM

Boy, the days when these threads used to go 5-6 pages instantly on opening weekend....

gmanca 02-19-23 12:28 AM

I thought this was a lot of fun; you can tell they really cut a lot of stuff because there’s some threads that seem abruptly dropped, Bill Murray for example.

I really like that end battle, the ants saving the day was cool.

GatorDeb 02-19-23 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 14237046)
I thought this was a lot of fun; you can tell they really cut a lot of stuff because there’s some threads that seem abruptly dropped, Bill Murray for example.

I really like that end battle, the ants saving the day was cool.

Could also be that Murray was just a cameo because he's the one who asked to be in it.

Decker 02-19-23 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 14237046)

I mean he got eaten at the end of his scene. Not much more they could do with his character at that point.

DJariya 02-19-23 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 14237029)
Boy, the days when these threads used to go 5-6 pages instantly on opening weekend....

This forum’s activity has declined drastically since Endgame and continues to decline. A lot of posters since then have either been banned, quit posting, or only lurk. Message boards like this even for popular IP topics like Marvel are a dry and barren wasteland.

TGM 02-19-23 08:41 AM

every Marvel movie looks like a fucking cartoon or video game cut scene now.

they've got to re-ground this shit, but how do you put the cat back in the bag?

Goldberg74 02-19-23 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 14237091)
every Marvel movie looks like a fucking cartoon or video game cut scene now.

they've got to re-ground this shit, but how do you put the cat back in the bag?

I think that the MCU films are about spectacle over story while the Disney+ shows are more about the story and character development.

The MCU films lately have been about people that we have gotten to know (i.e. Ant Man, Black Widow, Dr. Strange, Spider-man, etc.) or characters that don't need that much development (i.e. Shang-Chi, The Eternals, etc.) so they can turn up the spectacle and deliver the visual treats that the populous is (or isn't) asking for.

I don't mind the spectacle that was Quantumania, since I know the characters so well... but I did miss the heart that we get from support players like Luis (Michael Peña) and Jimmy Woo (Randall Park)... yeah, I know we spotted him having lunch with Scott on the opening montage. I was hoping for a mid credits scene with Luis and his crew, but we got the Council of Kangs instead. Oh well.

Still, I enjoyed this movie for what it was... but it was over the top (and I want to see more of the Micronauts).