Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ant-Man 3?
0%
7.27%
18.18%
29.09%
20.00%
3.64%
7.27%
0%
3.64%
3.64%
0%
No interest. Don't care
1.82%
Will wait until Disney Plus
5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TheBang
Yeah, while trying to figure this ending out, I just read that the whole movie plot was leaked last October. Most everything in the leak was the same as the released movie except the ending. The original leaked ending was that Kang escapes, and Scott and Hope are stuck in the Quantum Realm. Apparently, they reshot the ending a month ago.
https://comicbookmovie.com/ant_man/a...ap=1#gs.qm8jss

One more issue I remembered. I swear I'm not trying to nitpick this movie to death. I liked it all right, but these glaring issues are hard to ignore. Why did Kang kidnap Janet? He brings her to his citadel and.... nothing. He doesn't gloat at her, doesn't threaten or torture her, doesn't spout exposition at her, doesn't demand anything of her. There doesn't seem to be any purpose as to why he brought her, and she just kind of stands around watching things, until she kills the guards and then opens the portal. Did I miss something or forget something? It seems like the only reason she was kidnapped and brought there was so that she could be there to open the portal for them to escape at the appropriate time in the plot. I feel like maybe there was some thread or subplot or motivation there that was lost in the edit or reshoots.
Could just be that he was lonely and was going to keep her enslaved as a companion
Old 02-21-23, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Liked the dynamic between Scott and his daughter (the punching lesson was cute). We're not comic readers so we thought MODOK was hilarious/cool. Love that the film made it tongue and cheek as well with all the jokes at his expense (I need a shirt with his tag line, lol, as he breaks through Kang's shield). We also loved Baskin Robbins Scott showing up, that was too funny. These films aren't made to hold up under logical scrutiny, never have been, so we just enjoy them for what they are.

While Kang seems like he could make a really interesting villain (considering how many of him there are) I still wish the MCU wasn't connected as it will ensure the formula of one and done villains for the other properties in the interest of connecting everything.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 02-21-23 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-21-23, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Yeah, while trying to figure this ending out, I just read that the whole movie plot was leaked last October. Most everything in the leak was the same as the released movie except the ending. The original leaked ending was that Kang escapes, and Scott and Hope are stuck in the Quantum Realm. Apparently, they reshot the ending a month ago.
I have to admit I was let down that they copped out on that ending, because it would’ve had much more of an impact and raised the stakes on Kang’s impact even more. Felt very rushed to go “oh well then they’re rescued.”
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-21-23)
Old 02-21-23, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

If they're trying to set up Kang as their new big bad, why deny him the win? And to a second-stringer no less. I love Scott, but having him defeat Kang (variants be damned) deflates his impact and menace as a major threat.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-21-23 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-21-23, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, my brain immediately went "what?" when Kang is about twice as muscular as he was moments before. Given Majors filmed this before Creed III, the difference in his body size alone is a giveaway it was all late reshoots.
Old 02-22-23, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I probably enjoyed this more than any non-Spider-Man MCU entry since Endgame, but it wasn't without it's faults. I really liked the early stuff with the ant crew finding their way through the quantum realm and meeting new characters. It wasn't anything we haven't seen in a hundred other sci-fi adventures, but it was mostly a new experience in the MCU.

Once Kang hit the scene though, that fun mostly stopped. Majors was great in the role and probably the most compelling thing onscreen, but there's a good stretch there where it feels like it's just Kang and Janet talking. Don't get me wrong, I also loved that Michelle Pfeiffer had a big role, but it was at the expense of everything else going on.

The third act was a typical Marvel third act. Not really better or worse than any other we've seen. I was mixed on Modok. I didn't care about the cgi, but most of his jokes didn't land for me. The ending was a huge disappointment and I'm not at all surprised to see it was a last minute change. Scott and Hope barely interacted the whole movie, so her rescue fell completely flat.

​​​​​I continue to not care about any of the "young avengers", but Cassie was at least organic to this story. You definitely can't say the same about America or Iron Heart. I'm intrigued by Kang, but like others, I kind of wish this Kang was the guy going forward. I liked this Kang.
Old 02-22-23, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I guess I feel the same as pretty much everyone else here. Better than a lot of the movies post-Endgame, better than I thought a movie all in the quantum realm could be, and Pfiefer and Majors being the highlights. Outside of the new young Avengers in Hawkeye, Cassie was probably my favorite.

Marvel generally does a pretty good job of getting actors to portray their characters without it feeling like stunt casting. Murray didn't fit that mold, and I wish he wasn't even included. Or if he was, have him less obvious. It might work for younger audiences, but he has too much history in the movies for me to not just see BIll Murray and his previous characters. I'm a little concerned that Harrison Ford joining the MCU is going to do the same thing, but time will tell.

I'm interested in seeing what they do with Kang. This one was a badass, although he was dispatched fairly easily.
Old 02-22-23, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yeah, my brain immediately went "what?" when Kang is about twice as muscular as he was moments before. Given Majors filmed this before Creed III, the difference in his body size alone is a giveaway it was all late reshoots.
Wait, what, he's the baddie I've seen in the trailers of Creed III?? Quantumania was my first intro to him and now I'm a huge fan. Cannot wait for Creed III.
majorjoe23 (02-26-23)
Old 02-22-23, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Wait, what, he's the baddie I've seen in the trailers of Creed III?? Quantumania was my first intro to him and now I'm a huge fan. Cannot wait for Creed III.
You should watch The harder they fall on Netflix.
majorjoe23 (02-26-23)
Old 02-22-23, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by csant
You should watch The harder they fall on Netflix.
I'm about to watch everything he's been in
majorjoe23 (02-26-23)
Old 02-22-23, 03:41 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I'm about to watch everything he's been in
The Last Black Man In San Francisco got him a lot attention. In the upcoming film, Magazine Dreams, he plays a bodybuilder and is even bigger than he got for Creed III.
IBJoel (02-23-23)
Old 02-22-23, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
The Last Black Man In San Francisco got him a lot attention. In the upcoming film, Magazine Dreams, he plays a bodybuilder and is even bigger than he got for Creed III.
What, he's the guy in Magazine Dreams too???? I'm into body-building so that was a must-watch before.
Old 02-22-23, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

He was in that recent fighter pilot movie co-starring Glen Powell.

Devotion.
Old 02-22-23, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Yeah, between Lovecraft Country, The Harder They Fall, and Devotion, last year he made the biggest impression on me as a new star. Really looking forward to Creed III.
majorjoe23 (02-26-23)
Old 02-22-23, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have really gained an appreciation for him as an actor.

(iffy on NSFW, so I'll spoiler it)
Spoiler:

Old 02-22-23, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

I have really gained an appreciation for him as an actor.

(iffy on NSFW, so I'll spoiler it)
Spoiler:

'actor' you say?
Old 02-23-23, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

He's in Loki Season 1 as well if you haven't seen that yet. He'll be back for Season 2 as seen in the second end credits.
Old 02-23-23, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
He's in Loki Season 1 as well if you haven't seen that yet. He'll be back for Season 2 as seen in the second end credits.
OK now I have one more reason to get into Loki.
ViewAskewbian (02-23-23)
Old 02-24-23, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

The film was ok.. thin on plot. This was a bridge film just to get to the next season of Loki.
Old 02-24-23, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I wish to GOD that Marvel would get a clue. Their best movies have often been the ones with the smallest stakes stories. The first Iron Man. Ant-Man. Hell, even movies like The Incredible Hulk and The Winter Soldier were smaller scale movies than this. Not every Marvel movie has to be fate of the universe, billions or trillions of lives at stake kind of stuff. That stuff gets old after a while.

As for Quantumania... It's a whole lot of MEH.

Lots of interesting visuals, lots of action, light on character when compared to Marvel's best movies. And some of it was just kind of stupid. MODOK was lame, and it diminished the villain from the first Ant Man movie. The only thing I liked a lot about this movie was the way they handled Kang (at least the Kang taking up the bulk of this movie). I never liked Kang in the comics, but this version of Kang worked for me (to a point).

But Janet is a completely different character from the comics, and she's really kind of an unpleasant character at that! Not happy with the movie, overall, despite some good scenes here and there and some great visuals.

I'm starting to think that Feige's lost it. In Phase 1 and Phase 2 each Marvel movie was it's own kind of thing. Now? They're almost all treated like over the top epics with stakes that are way too high. They're almost all interchangeable now. I've gotten bored with these. After Endgame they should have scaled WAY back. Started small again and built up to this. They haven't. Thor, Dr. Strange, Quantumania, etc - it's all absurdly BIG and interchangeable. It's become product in a way that the early Marvel movies weren't. Assemblyline, pre-fab Marvel movies.

And that sucks.
Old 02-24-23, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Yeah, B5Erik, I had been thinking that MARVEL created such a huge spectacle with Infinity War/Endgame that going back to smaller stakes stories seems like a step back for them.
IBJoel (02-24-23)
Old 02-24-23, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Yeah, B5Erik, I had been thinking that MARVEL created such a huge spectacle with Infinity War/Endgame that going back to smaller stakes stories seems like a step back for them.
Yeah, a step back to MUCH better storytelling and actual character development.
IBJoel (02-28-23)
Old 02-25-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Projected 71% drop this weekend... damn🤯

https://www.thewrap.com/ant-man-quan...-weekend-drop/
Old 02-26-23, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Projected 71% drop this weekend... damn🤯

https://www.thewrap.com/ant-man-quan...-weekend-drop/
Is this projection taking into consideration that there are less movie theaters around, with Regal closing a lot of them, and that we are in a post pandemic era, where most people are willing to watch a film in a crowded theater once and then wait for it to come 3 months down the road on a streaming service? I believe these drops on the 2nd week say more about the state of movie theaters than the actual films themselves.
Old 02-26-23, 10:01 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

welcome back RDjr!
candyrocket786 (02-26-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.