Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman: The Brave and the Bold (D: Muschietti)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 11:10 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

“The Brave and the Bold”

Along with introducing the DCU’s version of Batman — who will exist separately from the version played by Robert Pattinson in “The Batman” movies — “The Brave and the Bold” will introduce “the Bat family,” Gunn said. First among them is Robin, who is returning fully to live-action movies for the first time since 1997’s ill-fated feature “Batman and Robin.”

This version of Robin is Damian Wayne; Gunn described him as “our favorite Robin,” “a little son of a bitch,” an “assassin” and a “murderer.”

Damian is Bruce Wayne’s biological son, a fact unknown to Wayne for the first eight to 10 years of Damian’s life. “It’s a very strange sort of father-son story about the two of them,” Gunn said.

The project is based on the run of Batman comics authored by Grant Morrison, who Gunn said was “exceptionally influential” on the DCU. The other comics writer Gunn mentioned by name was Tom King — who participated in the DCU writers room and leads right into the next feature project.
Old 01-31-23, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
re: Batman: The Brave and the Bold (D: Muschietti)

Ugh.
The following 6 users liked this post by Maxflier:
DaveyJoe (01-31-23), Goonies85 (01-31-23), IBJoel (01-31-23), Jason (02-01-23), Paul_SD (06-05-23), PhantomStranger (02-01-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-23, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Oooof, Damian.

Time to cast Batman again!

And Ive said it so many times, Batman could support a cinematic universe on its own, with the various Robins and Batgirls. But yeah lets skip over and get to Damian.
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
IBJoel (01-31-23), Runaway (01-31-23)
Old 01-31-23, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I like Gunn's GotG movies and Peacemaker was a lot of fun... but his quirky, silly style isn't meant for an entire universe. I don't even get why they'd do this.
Old 01-31-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Oooof, Damian.

Time to cast Batman again!

And Ive said it so many times, Batman could support a cinematic universe on its own, with the various Robins and Batgirls. But yeah lets skip over and get to Damian.
Yeah.. I’m not necessarily on board with going straight to Damian either. That’s my biggest disappointment.

I suppose there’s room for other characters like Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, etc. but if we’re getting a Batman and Robin team up I’d like to have it to start with Bruce and Dick.

I’m glad to be getting Robin on screen again though. We’ve had enough of just solo Batman for a long time. Adding a Robin in changes things up.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-31-23)
Old 01-31-23, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Yeah... I love Damian but this sounds like the kind of terrible idea I'd expect from the CW. Not excited in the slightest.
Old 01-31-23, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

But for years people have said you have to do 3 solos THEN you can do a team up like Marvel (I never agreed it was always needed BTW).

Now Gunn is going straight to Team up a la GOTG? With Damian? I'm in the minority in that I love Damian Wayne, but this seems "ambitious".

(Honestly, I'm still looking forward to it)
Old 01-31-23, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A team up of the Justice League should have been better built up. Not the sole problem with the Snyderverse but didn’t help matters that things were rushed along in my honest opinion. A Batman and Robin team up is a lot more natural, especially in this case where Damian is Bruce’s son.
Old 01-31-23, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
A team up of the Justice League should have been better built up. Not the sole problem with the Snyderverse but didn’t help matters that things were rushed along in my honest opinion. A Batman and Robin team up is a lot more natural, especially in this case where Damian is Bruce’s son.
As someone else pointed out, the problem is skipping all the other Robins. Although, I guess they will likely cameo or have supporting roles in this.
Old 01-31-23, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

This sounds awful, I may end up missing Nolan and Snyder.
Old 01-31-23, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
As someone else pointed out, the problem is skipping all the other Robins. Although, I guess they will likely cameo or have supporting roles in this.
I definitely agree there and I’ve stated that as well. I’m just saying Batman and Robin teamed up makes more sense than forcing the Justice League movie together after only one solo Superman film and a film where Batman and Superman are at odds most of the film.

Ideally thought I would have wanted Dick Grayson to be the first Robin in the DCU. The most classic version of Robin and a lot of history with Batman/Bruce Wayne.
Old 01-31-23, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I definitely agree there and I’ve stated that as well. I’m just saying Batman and Robin teamed up makes more sense than forcing the Justice League movie together after only one solo Superman film and a film where Batman and Superman are at odds most of the film.

Ideally thought I would have wanted Dick Grayson to be the first Robin in the DCU. The most classic version of Robin and a lot of history with Batman/Bruce Wayne.
Then we're on the same page. Though I enjoyed the Snyderverse(and I'm glad it's technically not being discarded), the timeline was all over the place and rushed. So it'll be nice to see all this develop at a more natural pace, even if the individual stories seem to be starting in medias res.
Old 01-31-23, 10:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Surprised to see so much hate. This seems like a refreshing Batman scenario to me.

I assumed they're jumping to Damien Wayne because it's possible they use Dick Grayson or Jason Todd for The Batman Part 2? It would make a lot more sense to not muddy the waters with the same Robins if they're doing more than one at a time. You don't want to retread of the same story beats in two different universes.

I also assume this is the starting point they want for Batman in the new DCU. That means we could have a full realized Nightwing & Red Hood in this continuity without having to do the origin stories for everyone. Like taking The Arkham games as an example, they jumped right to telling Jason Todd's death in flashbacks when introducing Red Hood. They don't have to start at the absolute beginning of time for these characters if they plan on doing flashbacks within the movies to fill that stuff out.

I mean to get to a full fleshed out Nightwing & Red Hood with MCU style pacing it would take 10-15 years and probably 8-10 films.
Old 01-31-23, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

If they're really going to have two different concurrent Batmans this should have a drastically different tone. Like The Brave and the Bold cartoon. But I don't see them doing that if they're going with Damien.
Old 02-01-23, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Happy to hear they’re using Damien. It would be nice if they did 12-15 Batman films in continuity to lead us to Damien after the other Robins but that’s pretty unlikely.
Old 02-01-23, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Very important for how they portray Damian Wayne because for millions this will be their first introduction to the character. They could permanently cripple his status as a fan favorite with a bad adaptation. Supergirl got a terrible movie and her character then became persona non grata on television and movies for many years after.
Old 02-01-23, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Very important for how they portray Damian Wayne because for millions this will be their first introduction to the character. They could permanently cripple his status as a fan favorite with a bad adaptation. Supergirl got a terrible movie and her character then became persona non grata on television and movies for many years after.
If fear that they hardly can do it right. Using a child works in the comics, I don't see it in a movie. In a DC movie they won't take the route of Kick-Ass where every character is more or less mentally ill.
Old 02-01-23, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
If fear that they hardly can do it right. Using a child works in the comics, I don't see it in a movie. In a DC movie they won't take the route of Kick-Ass where every character is more or less mentally ill.
I think Kick-Ass is exactly how they plan to approach Damian, emulating Hit-Girl.
Old 02-01-23, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Kick-Ass is exactly how they plan to approach Damian, emulating Hit-Girl.
It's possible, but Batman has to be as irresponsible and screwed up as Big Daddy and that doesn't work for me.
Old 02-01-23, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Will we see a Live-Action scene of Damian's first night of fighting crime?

Old 02-01-23, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

“The Batman” is covering the traditional Batman film. And since DC apparently has some “The Cabin in the Woods” deal going where they have to always be making a new Batman movie or the Old Ones rise, at least they are trying something a little different here.
Old 02-01-23, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
This sounds awful, I may end up missing Nolan and Snyder.
Yeah, I can't say I'm very impressed with what has been divulged so far.

It sounds like they aren't interested in making any kind of cohesive universe (ala the MCU's first three phases, or the early Snyderverse), but instead a bunch of standalone movies/franchises that might share a character or two, and just pretend its the same thing as the MCU.

I'm guessing that half of the stuff they announced will end up being vaporware, considering not only DC's history with Warners, but also the current cost-cutting get-our-asses-out-of-debt mode they're in now.

Old 02-01-23, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean it does make sense to have a Batman movie in the DCU in spite of the Robert Pattinson/Matt Reeves movies. My hope is that the DCU Batman can be a bit more comic book and not so grounded which can allow for some different aspects and characters.
Old 02-01-23, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Yet another Batman? And I assume they're making another Pattinson Batman movie? So we'll have 2 Batman's and 2 Joker's in different universes and they'll just leave it up to the audience to figure out?
Old 02-01-23, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Yet another Batman? And I assume they're making another Pattinson Batman movie? So we'll have 2 Batman's and 2 Joker's in different universes and they'll just leave it up to the audience to figure out?
I'm sure the audience will manage.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-01-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.