Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman (2025, D: Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman (2025, D: Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 09:56 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
re: Superman (2025, D: Gunn)

The difference is Warner Brothers Pictures was overseeing the DC properties and many of those executives were the ones interfering and making stupid decisions. DC Studios are now their own operating unit, DC Films was not. The head of WBD has other things to do besides focus on just DC stuff. Do you think all that Bob Iger focuses on is Marvel?
Old 03-20-23, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The difference is Warner Brothers Pictures was overseeing the DC properties and many of those executives were the ones interfering and making stupid decisions. DC Studios are now their own operating unit, DC Films was not. The head of WBD has other things to do besides focus on just DC stuff. Do you think all that Bob Iger focuses on is Marvel?
I get what you're saying. However, to assume Gunn and Safran operate on their own terms is ridiculous. They still have to answer to their bosses and the whims of said bosses. So, let's say we're all onboard with what Gunn/Safran do. Cool. But if one their bosses or Zaslav himself doesn't like it for whatever reason ("we're making money, but not as much money as we'd like"), they can be told to right the ship or outright drop whatever might be considered (to the execs) dead weight. Gunn isn't an artist working freely and independently. He's an artist working under the machinations of a corporation. He's just another cog in the machine. So although Zaslav, like Iger over at Disney, has more on his plate than just DC, assuming he'd allow any of his subordinates unrestricted free reign to pursue their artistic vision is ridiculous.

The only way Gunn and Safran could operate completely unfettered is if they owned their own studio, completely unaffiliated with anyone else, and worked on their own IPs.
Old 03-20-23, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I really hope they do have the freedom now, but one WW 1986 is all it'll take for the reigns to be reeled back in.
Old 03-20-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I was watching one of the animated DC movies on HBO Max the other night and was struck at how much I enjoy that those movies just start with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and everyone else already in place. No time wasted with anyone's origins. At this point these characters are so well-known that I would love it if we didn't get a frame of backstory for at least a generation of moviegoers.

Fingers crossed that this doesn't start in any way with Krypton blowing up and a spaceship with baby Jor-El crashing in a Kansas field.

Superman is literally an "illegal alien". I'm surprised conservatives don't picket the premiere every time one of these movies comes out.
lol, Conservatives?? What do politics have to do with anything?? Don't worry though, I'm sure Dylan Mulvaney will get the role soon enough.
Old 03-20-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The issue with adapting something like All Star Superman is you have to get the studio to get away from the standard "reintroduce the character/origin story" plotline and fully embrace a world where superheroes are already established and silly crap has happened that is somewhat unexplained. Gunn was able to get away with it with his Suicide Squad where he just threw in a bunch of characters (with some flashbacks for origins) and went with it (like where did Mongal come from? just go with it) but I'm not sure if he can convince them about something like Superman. Would be pretty cool though.
If I were making a Directors Cut of Man of Steel I’d actually cut the entire Krypton beginning. I think the scene in the ship with Joe-El gives you the backstory you need (plus is has a cool at deco feel). I’ve had this debate with a friend, but they actually think the Krypton segment is the best. Besides, I can only imagine how much budget cutting that would have saved.
Old 03-20-23, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Thought I remember hearing somewhere that the only person Gunn/Safran answer to is Zaslav himself.
Old 03-20-23, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
If I were making a Directors Cut of Man of Steel I’d actually cut the entire Krypton beginning. I think the scene in the ship with Joe-El gives you the backstory you need (plus is has a cool at deco feel). I’ve had this debate with a friend, but they actually think the Krypton segment is the best. Besides, I can only imagine how much budget cutting that would have saved.
I 100% agree. The Krypton scene is literally 20 minutes of a 2:23 movie. Cut that shit - it doesn't add a single thing.
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (04-21-23)
Old 03-20-23, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I 100% agree. The Krypton scene is literally 20 minutes of a 2:23 movie. Cut that shit - it doesn't add a single thing.
Funny how times have changed. I remember when production artwork for MOS was being released, we were all excited that Snyder was gonna lean heavily into the sci-fi elements of Superman's backstory. In fact, as I recall, that 15-minute Krypton prologue was many folks favorite part of the movie.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-20-23 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Funny how times have changed. I remember when production artwork for MOS was being released, we were all excited that Snyder was gonna lean heavily into the sci-fi elements of Superman's backstore. In fact, as I recall, that 15-minute Krypton prologue was many folks favorite part of the movie.
I don’t know why - there is nothing interesting to me about Krypton. In fact it always feels like an attempt to shoehorn in unnecessary backstory (they all wear crests and the S means “hope” blah blah blah).
Goonies85 (04-21-23)
Old 03-20-23, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don’t know why - there is nothing interesting to me about Krypton. In fact it always feels like an attempt to shoehorn in unnecessary backstory (they all wear crests and the S means “hope” blah blah blah).
The whole "this symbol means hope" explanation isn't even from the prologue, now that you mention it. But the prologue does help set up Zod and the Codex. It also establishes the stakes for the Kryptonians by showing us (rather than telling us) how far from grace Krypton has fallen. That way Zod and Jor-El could trim down on their necessary exposition. I also recall that the prologue shows how focused Zod is on his duty despite personal cost. Just look at Michael Shannon reacting to Russel Crowe's refusal to join him. He's genuinely taken aback. And in both instances he kills Jor-El (both the real one and when he deletes the computer simulation), there's some subtle acting from Shannon where he shows both regret for the action but also resolve for what needs to be done.
Old 03-21-23, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The whole "this symbol means hope" explanation isn't even from the prologue, now that you mention it.
This is what I'm talking about - why does Jor-El have an S on his chest? He isn't Superman. Oh wait, we find out it means "hope".

But the prologue does help set up Zod and the Codex. It also establishes the stakes for the Kryptonians by showing us (rather than telling us) how far from grace Krypton has fallen. That way Zod and Jor-El could trim down on their necessary exposition. I also recall that the prologue shows how focused Zod is on his duty despite personal cost. Just look at Michael Shannon reacting to Russel Crowe's refusal to join him. He's genuinely taken aback. And in both instances he kills Jor-El (both the real one and when he deletes the computer simulation), there's some subtle acting from Shannon where he shows both regret for the action but also resolve for what needs to be done.
I don't care about anything to do with Krypton, the Codex or their backstory. Krypton exploded and Zod wants to recreate Krypton on Earth. No more exposition needed.

In general, I think many modern genre spend too much time filling in the "blanks". These are answers to questions no one asked. See also: midichlorians.
Old 03-21-23, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is what I'm talking about - why does Jor-El have an S on his chest? He isn't Superman. Oh wait, we find out it means "hope".

My comment was meant in your favor, since the meaning of the symbol is divulged during Jor-El's exposition dump to Kal-El midway through the movie.

In all fairness, the "S" meaning hope comes from the comics. Same with the houses all having their own family crest. Did you also complain during the prologue of the Donner movie, which might have been the same length (I don't recall)?

I don't care about anything to do with Krypton, the Codex or their backstory. Krypton exploded and Zod wants to recreate Krypton on Earth. No more exposition needed.

In general, I think many modern genre spend too much time filling in the "blanks". These are answers to questions no one asked. See also: midichlorians.
To each his own. I get wanting to keep it simple, which is why I appreciate how the John Wick movies drip feed world building exposition. But the front loading works fine in MOS. And at least they skipped showing his ship crashing and being discovered by the Kents.
Draven (03-22-23)
Old 03-21-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That codex thing was just overcomplicating the plot. There's something interesting underneath where you see Zod being a slave to what he was programmed to do, but that whole codex thing and terraforming Earth, a planet that gives you freaking super powers, into a replica of your dreary world where you have no super powers, just made little sense. Superman is barely morally conflicted about sacrificing the entire future of his race (mainly because it meant like totally eradicating his mom and prospective girlfriend)
IBJoel (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My comment was meant in your favor, since the meaning of the symbol is divulged during Jor-El's exposition dump to Kal-El midway through the movie.
Fair enough

In all fairness, the "S" meaning hope comes from the comics. Same with the houses all having their own family crest. Did you also complain during the prologue of the Donner movie, which might have been the same length (I don't recall)?
I just checked - the prologue in Krypton for the 1978 movie is also over 20 minutes long (but 5 minutes of it is the opening credits). I’ll give that one more of a pass since moviegoers weren’t necessarily familiar with Superman’s origin story. We certainly didn’t need it again for Man of Steel.

And honestly, I’m not a huge fan of that movie. I liked it as a kid but the technology has come so far since then with superhero movies that I can’t really take it that seriously. Flying around the earth to go back in time is just too much for me now. I like the sequel better anyway.

To each his own. I get wanting to keep it simple, which is why I appreciate how the John Wick movies drip feed world building exposition. But the front loading works fine in MOS. And at least they skipped showing his ship crashing and being discovered by the Kents.
And I’d argue that the Kents would be more interesting to see, since that relationship is way more important than the one with his father whom he never knew.
Old 03-22-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fair enough

I just checked - the prologue in Krypton for the 1978 movie is also over 20 minutes long (but 5 minutes of it is the opening credits). I’ll give that one more of a pass since moviegoers weren’t necessarily familiar with Superman’s origin story. We certainly didn’t need it again for Man of Steel.

And honestly, I’m not a huge fan of that movie. I liked it as a kid but the technology has come so far since then with superhero movies that I can’t really take it that seriously. Flying around the earth to go back in time is just too much for me now. I like the sequel better anyway.
But the flying around the earth thing was originally made for the sequel and the sequel has some really really bad parts at the end there including throwing the S shield like a ninja star. Plus flying around the earth to go back in time is straight from the comics.

Also I will always hold up the Pa Kent scenes in that movie.
IBJoel (04-20-23)
Old 03-22-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts

It makes it even worse when you watch the first movie and then follow it up with The Donner Cut of Superman II. We get to see Superman fly around the Earth, turning back time, twice!

Hey Supes, come up with a new move, dude! Not every problem should be resolved by spinning the Earth backwards.
Old 03-22-23, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
But the flying around the earth thing was originally made for the sequel and the sequel has some really really bad parts at the end there including throwing the S shield like a ninja star. Plus flying around the earth to go back in time is straight from the comics.
Oh the S-shield throw is also stupid. I'm not saying the sequel is without fault. I just like the Phantom Zone criminals as adversaries.
Old 03-22-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh the S-shield throw is also stupid. I'm not saying the sequel is without fault. I just like the Phantom Zone criminals as adversaries.
Oh, definitely agreed there. Just saying that while I still love both, it feels to me like Superman holds up a bit better than Superman 2 as a whole (and I thought the opposite as a kid)
Old 04-18-23, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Pre- production has started

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (04-18-23), milo bloom (04-18-23)
Old 04-18-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It makes it even worse when you watch the first movie and then follow it up with The Donner Cut of Superman II. We get to see Superman fly around the Earth, turning back time, twice!

Hey Supes, come up with a new move, dude! Not every problem should be resolved by spinning the Earth backwards.
Crap, I forgot to take the dumpster down to the curb for pick up. I guess I need to turn back time again.
IBJoel (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts

Superman is dumb.
HeIsTheZissou (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Superman is dumb.
He spent several years of critical developmental time in total sensory and social isolation. No wonder he didn't achieve his full cognitive potential.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
General Zod (04-20-23), RocShemp (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I'm guessing Gunn will reveal who he cast as Superman during 2023 Comic Con. Seems like the perfect opportunity for him to make a buzz worthy announcement. He has claimed that no one has been cast yet recently.
Old 04-20-23, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Steve Buscemi for Superman or GTFO.
Rival11 (04-20-23)
Old 05-13-23, 12:08 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Corenswet has seemed like the obvious choice to me since it was announced they’d recast. I’ve seen some say Hoult is actually up for a Clark and not Lex. I don’t really see him as Clark, but think he’d be great had Lex. The names for Lois I like a lot.
The quest for James Gunn’s Superman is up, up, and away.

Casting for Superman: Legacy, the feature that is meant to kick off Gunn and Peter Safran’s much-vaunted first chapter of DC Studios, is hitting a crucial phase, with a short list of names bubbling up for the roles of Clark Kent, Lois Lane and even Lex Luthor.

David Corenswet, who recently played the ill-fated projectionist opposite Mia Goth in Pearl, is among the top contenders to play Kent, aka Superman, advancing to the screen test stage that will likely take place after Memorial Day or early June, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Two other contenders may also be in the mix but their identities remain unknown.

Jacob Elordi, the sought-after star who broke out as the resident villain on HBO series Euphoria, is a name that surfaced for the role of Kent but sources say he never submitted himself into the ring. British actors Tom Brittney and Andrew Richardson are also names that were in the early mix.

As for Lane, the spunky reporter at Metropolis’ Daily Planet news organization, contenders have been Emma Mackey, one of the stars of the Netflix series Sex Education and who will appear in Warner Bros. title Barbie; Rachel Brosnahan, the Emmy-winning star of Amazon’s acclaimed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel; Bridgerton actress Phoebe Dynevor; and Samara Weaving, last seen in Scream VI. It is unclear who is advancing on to the testing stage. Brosnahan is said to have delivered an “outstanding” audition but, at 32, may be in the older range for what Gunn is ultimately hoping to achieve, a look Metropolis heroics via 20-something characters.

Sources caution that some of these are not screen testing and have merely been in the mix. One source, without providing additional detail, dismissed some of the names as “a chatroom list.” Warners had no comment and one insider said the filmmakers and studio “are nowhere near a decision.”

One role that seems to have only one person earmarked is the classic villain Luthor. Nicholas Hoult, currently starring in vampire thriller Renfield, has been tipped to play the bald-headed evil genius. Hoult’s name has been swirling around Legacy for several weeks now with some theorizing he was up for Superman. The actor had a previous close call with the DC movie realm when he the runner-up to play Batman for Matt Reeves, with the role going to Robert Pattinson. “The studio has loved him since Fury Road,” said one source, referring to Warners’ 2015 action classic from George Miller.

And while the roles being chased by many of the town’s up-and-comers include the trio of classic characters, sources say the movie will be populated by many faces as it will seek to introduce DC heroes that are already established in the movie’s setting.

Superman: Legacy will be the first film under the Gunn-Safran regime at DC, making the casting of particular note. The superhero holds a place of particular importance for Gunn. “I completely relate to Superman because he’s everything I am,” Gunn told THR in an April cover story. “He’s somebody who is an outsider who feels like an alien, but also the ultimate insider, because he’s fucking Superman. And that’s kind of like what I feel like.”

As for the macroeconomics of Superman, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav is betting big on the new superhero strategy. “DC is the biggest value creation opportunity for us,” Zaslav said in February, during a Q4 earnings report. In 2022 and early 2023, WBD cleared the DC decks, shelving Batgirl indefinitely claiming a tax write-down, and releasing Black Adam and Shazam! Fury of the Gods to mixed results at the box office. Still to come is Blue Beetle, which was once set for HBO Max but was moved to an August theatrical release, and June’s long-delayed Flash movie that has already been screened in full for exhibitors at CinemaCon with positive results. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, due out in December, is the final DC film made by the previous regime.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...nn-1235486603/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.