Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman (2025, D: Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman (2025, D: Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
re: Superman (2025, D: Gunn)

Originally Posted by Draven
I was watching one of the animated DC movies on HBO Max the other night and was struck at how much I enjoy that those movies just start with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and everyone else already in place. No time wasted with anyone's origins. At this point these characters are so well-known that I would love it if we didn't get a frame of backstory for at least a generation of moviegoers.

Fingers crossed that this doesn't start in any way with Krypton blowing up and a spaceship with baby Jor-El crashing in a Kansas field.
I like how the backstory was handled in The Batman, via lightly doled out exposition. Just enough to fill in the audience on the character's motivations without the need of flashbacks.

​​​​​​​
Superman is literally an "illegal alien". I'm surprised conservatives don't picket the premiere every time one of these movies comes out.
[NERDHAT]John Byrne fixed that in the '80s by having Superman literally being born on Earth. Maybe Gunn's Superman will follow that origin. [/NERDHAT]

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-11-23 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
In a shock to nearly nobody, appears Gunn is directing this.
Well, if nothing else at least we know it’ll be colorful. Superman’s outfit will be red and blue instead of black and burgundy.
Old 03-15-23, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Gunn officially confirms the news

Old 03-15-23, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Now the real question is who is Sean Gunn going to play in this and how does Nathan Fillion get shoe horned into this?
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Duh, Nathan Fillion as Jonathan Kent.
Old 03-15-23, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Re: Superman: Legacy (2025)

Superman is literally an "illegal alien". I'm surprised conservatives don't picket the premiere every time one of these movies comes out.
Because Kal being from another country, raised by Farmers in the Mid-West, who then grows up and Simps for America makes them Hard?

But seriously...
Superman is a Refugee. Wonder Woman is an Immigrant. Though I'm guessing she is Legal, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-15-23, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now the real question is who is Sean Gunn going to play in this and how does Nathan Fillion get shoe horned into this?

You forgot Gunn's wife as well. Lois Lane? Lana Lang? Ma Kent?
Old 03-15-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You forgot Gunn's wife as well. Lois Lane? Lana Lang? Ma Kent?
He could just write in Harcourt as a character like they did in Black Adam.
Old 03-15-23, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It’ll be interesting seeing James Gunn’s style in a Superman movie.
Old 03-15-23, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Gunn also has a good professional relationship with Elizabeth Banks from Slither and Brightburn. Maybe she could be shoehorned in? Ma Kent?
Old 03-15-23, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Already Snyderverse cult going online and shitting on the Gunn directing news, calling for a boycott. What a horrible toxic fanbase the Sydercult is.
IBJoel (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Because Kal being from another country, raised by Farmers in the Mid-West, who then grows up and Simps for America makes them Hard?

But seriously...
Superman is a Refugee. Wonder Woman is an Immigrant. Though I'm guessing she is Legal, but I could be wrong.
I mean they falsified his birth records even if technically he was "born" in America (I have to re-read Man of Steel because I don't remember exactly how Byrne rewrote it). Same for Wonder Woman, she falsified her information, at the very least to hide her lack of aging. But they are very good looking, powerful people who look a certain way so...

In any case, please please be good. I mean be a good movie, of course, but have Superman be lawful good.
Old 03-15-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan
He could just write in Harcourt as a character like they did in Black Adam.
Maybe..
Old 03-15-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean they falsified his birth records even if technically he was "born" in America (I have to re-read Man of Steel because I don't remember exactly how Byrne rewrote it). Same for Wonder Woman, she falsified her information, at the very least to hide her lack of aging. But they are very good looking, powerful people who look a certain way so...

In any case, please please be good. I mean be a good movie, of course, but have Superman be lawful good.
They would ignore that since both Supes and WW fly the Colors of the good ole US of A. Either way, I'm happy DC Films will keep buggering on.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-16-23 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-15-23, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They would ignore that since both Supers and WW fly the Colors of the good ole US of A. Either way, I'm happy DC Films will keep buggering on.
Yeah, that's what I mean, there's no way the US would let "a weapon of mass destruction" who identifies as American go leave for somewhere else because of a little thing like immigration laws.
Giantrobo (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Duh, Nathan Fillion as Jonathan Kent.
Nah, they already said this is the Daily Planet years so Fillion has to be Perry White.
Old 03-17-23, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe Gunn stated he was a big fan of All-Star Superman.
When I finally got around to reading it, it kind of surprised me how much of it was channeling more whimsical Silver Age plotting and complications.
It did that while balancing some over-arching, weightier dramatics that are much more typical of the tone of industry material since the mid-eighties.

Donner hit a pitch perfect grounded tone for the character for a post-Watrergate era.
Gunn has every opportunity now (technological capability; audience acclimation to broader fantasy material; studio resources etc) to produce a live-action Superman movie that could truly channel the vibe of a good chunk of this character's fanciful history.
And just like All-Star showed, that kind of material can co-exist just fine with more sophisticated, and thoughtfully mature content.

As much personal nostalgia, and love, I have for the original Donner film, I can easily envision someone with Gunn's sensibilities making the absolute definitive Superman film.
Old 03-17-23, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The issue with adapting something like All Star Superman is you have to get the studio to get away from the standard "reintroduce the character/origin story" plotline and fully embrace a world where superheroes are already established and silly crap has happened that is somewhat unexplained. Gunn was able to get away with it with his Suicide Squad where he just threw in a bunch of characters (with some flashbacks for origins) and went with it (like where did Mongal come from? just go with it) but I'm not sure if he can convince them about something like Superman. Would be pretty cool though.
Old 03-19-23, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The issue with adapting something like All Star Superman is you have to get the studio to get away from the standard "reintroduce the character/origin story" plotline and fully embrace a world where superheroes are already established and silly crap has happened that is somewhat unexplained. Gunn was able to get away with it with his Suicide Squad where he just threw in a bunch of characters (with some flashbacks for origins) and went with it (like where did Mongal come from? just go with it) but I'm not sure if he can convince them about something like Superman. Would be pretty cool though.
Gunn should have enough reputation to do what he wants at DC. He took nobody characters like Peacemaker and the Guardians of the Galaxy and made them household names.

I think he can do a lot to make Superman both relatable and fun. After all, if Marvel can somehow work the Thanos Copter into canon, James Gunn should be able to make Lex Luthor steal some hostess pies.
IBJoel (03-20-23)
Old 03-19-23, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
Gunn should have enough reputation to do what he wants at DC. He took nobody characters like Peacemaker and the Guardians of the Galaxy and made them household names.

I think he can do a lot to make Superman both relatable and fun. After all, if Marvel can somehow work the Thanos Copter into canon, James Gunn should be able to make Lex Luthor steal some hostess pies.
Gunn isn't the problem. It's WB. The owners may change, but the idiocy seems to stay the same.
Old 03-19-23, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Gunn isn't the problem. It's WB. The owners may change, but the idiocy seems to stay the same.
I am sure he did a deal where he has creative control with Safran.
Old 03-19-23, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am sure he did a deal where he has creative control with Safran.
Hopefully. But I doubt he'd truly have free reign. So I wouldn't put it past the execs to have a clause which allows them to veto what they please. And although that's reasonable, the problem is not the veto privilege but how they might exercise the same. And WB has a poor track record in that regard.
Old 03-19-23, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Hopefully. But I doubt he'd truly have free reign. So I wouldn't put it past the execs to have a clause which allows them to veto what they please. And although that's reasonable, the problem is not the veto privilege but how they might exercise the same. And WB has a poor track record in that regard.
I bet you are wrong. With his track record, including with 2 DC properties, he absolutely would want complete creative control.
Old 03-20-23, 06:57 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

They've already said in their presentation that DC Studios (which didn't exist previously) is a completely separate entity from Warner Bros. Pictures.
Old 03-20-23, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Umm...

DC Studios (formerly known as DC Films) is an American film, television, and animation studio that is a division of Warner Bros.,[4][5] which is a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD).
So, yeah, Gunn/Safran and the newly renamed DC Studios exist under Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., which itself is under the umbrella of Warner Bros. Discovery. So it's unrealistic to assume Gunn/Safran have total creative freedom. Hell, that's why Gunn and Safran had to pitch their vision to Zaslav after they had been named co-chairmen of DC Studios.

In fact, regarding WB...

​​​​​​​The company is known for its film studio division, the Warner Bros. Pictures Group, which includes Warner Bros. Pictures, New Line Cinema, the Warner Animation Group, Castle Rock Entertainment, and DC Studios. Among its other assets, stands the television production company Warner Bros. Television Studios.
Do any of you really believe all those studios are free from corporate oversight?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.