Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
makes me think the shooter is mentally deficient.
Or maybe the shooter is also trying not to be Alec Baldwin.

One I've encountered a few times, a character in a movie set in the 50s or 60s or even 70s mentions Night of the Living Dead and the zombies eating brains, even though (if I'm wrong please let me know) zombies eating brains was invented with 1985's Return of the Living Dead.
The following users liked this post:
rbrown498 (01-19-23)
Old 01-12-23, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Re: Women running through rough terrain in heels.
Often you can see that they change back and forth from heels to flats. While running you can see she's wearing flats. They stop for a second, she's in heels. They resume running, she's in flats again. It's gotten to where I always look for it. Same with barefeet. Shoes on, off, back on again. It's ok they do it. Not ok is being able to notice it.
Old 01-12-23, 04:24 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's probably like the "toad struck by lightning" line in X-Men: it's not meant to be clever on it's own, it's dependent on the delivery by the actor. I haven't seen KC in a while but it's not hard to imagine Arnold not giving the line the proper emphasis.
That's the thing, it's just delivered straight. Haven't seen it in a long time either (probably only the one time when it was out in theaters); it's so minor but it just bugged and stuck

(it should take you directly to that part in the clip on youtube; if not, it's at 1:49)
Old 01-12-23, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
People having to do their lines while eating. In real life people eat and talk. It's no big deal. But in films and shows, they do it in a way that's just weird. Like, I know you took a big bite, now you're talking, but you seem to not be chewing as if you're ignoring the food in your mouth.
Or the characters endlessly play with their food and rarely ever seem to take a bite because they're in the middle of a conversation. Big Bang Theory is the worst at that. So many scenes of them sitting around the couch eating...or at the Caltech cafeteria eating... and you rarely see anyone actually put food in their mouth or chewing.
Old 01-12-23, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
People having to do their lines while eating. In real life people eat and talk. It's no big deal. But in films and shows, they do it in a way that's just weird. Like, I know you took a big bite, now you're talking, but you seem to not be chewing as if you're ignoring the food in your mouth.
Greatest big bite eating I've seen in TV/movies:

Originally Posted by Coral
Or the characters endlessly play with their food and rarely ever seem to take a bite because they're in the middle of a conversation. Big Bang Theory is the worst at that. So many scenes of them sitting around the couch eating...or at the Caltech cafeteria eating... and you rarely see anyone actually put food in their mouth or chewing.
One of my favorite things when watching a movie is observing the way different actors deal with looking like they're eating while never taking a bite of anything.
Old 01-12-23, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
This line of dialog in Kindergarten Cop:

Arnold -"That's not a dog, that's a ferret"
some kid - "What's a ferret?"
Arnold - "That's a ferret"

Trivial, but it sure bugs me
Originally Posted by HN
That's the thing, it's just delivered straight. Haven't seen it in a long time either (probably only the one time when it was out in theaters); it's so minor but it just bugged and stuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7paXCy5oY&t=109s (it should take you directly to that part in the clip on youtube; if not, it's at 1:49)
Now that you have posted the clip, I don't understand what you thought the joke was supposed to be. It seems to me that the chuckle line is the kid thinking that it is a weird dog. Was he supposed to explain that a ferret is a domesticated polecat similar to a stoat or a mink? The exchange makes total sense in a kid logic way, and is more of a character moment that shows he is relating to their level.
Dan (01-17-23)
Old 01-12-23, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yeah, the ferret joke feels like it’s Arnold is just a little impatient with the kid and he’s trying to keep his cool.
Old 01-12-23, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

I can imagine the actor taking a big bite, chewing, and swallowing. Then Stanley Kubrick says, "Good, that was good. Turn your head a little more to the right. Let's do take number 57."
Old 01-12-23, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

One of the other things that annoys me is that you'll rarely see anyone clean their plate. There's usually a substantial amount of food left, and then they just take their dinner napkin and put it on top of their unfinished food. I hate to see food go to waste, and I'd be annoyed if someone also purposely dirties up the the dinner napkin with extra grease, sauce, etc.
Old 01-13-23, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

The Big Bang Theory is even worse in being funny.
Old 01-13-23, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I can imagine the actor taking a big bite, chewing, and swallowing. Then Stanley Kubrick says, "Good, that was good. Turn your head a little more to the right. Let's do take number 57."
"Mama mia! That'sa one spicy meatball!"
Old 01-13-23, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Movies and TV: Car doors being bulletproof and being a suitable place to crouch during a shootout.
For me it is shootouts while driving cars and nobody tries to shoot out the tires.
BobO'Link (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
And all these years BTTF has been acclaimed as one of Hollywood's best screenplays. Go figure.
And it is, don't get me wrong, but that trivial (I guess depending on how you look at it) part about the Lybians...Librarians..Lesbians...errr...Libyans has bugged me for years. :P

Old 01-13-23, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
And it is, don't get me wrong, but that trivial (I guess depending on how you look at it) part about the Lybians...Librarians..Lesbians...errr...Libyans has bugged me for years. :P
Now that you point it out, it seems like more than a trivial plot hole that the Marty and Doc Brown didn't have to account for the Indigo Girls in some way. I'll never not see it, now.
ViewAskewbian (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Now that you point it out, it seems like more than a trivial plot hole that the Marty and Doc Brown didn't have to account for the Indigo Girls in some way. I'll never not see it, now.
The less I seek my source for some definitive,
The closer I am to TIME!
Old 01-13-23, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I recently rewatch BTTF on New Year’s Eve and the Libyans part caught my attention too. It was like Zameckis and company were in a damned if they do, damned if they don’t situation. “Libyan Terrorists” is a pretty heavy (pun intended) plot point. And having them crash in a grisly, bloody fashion that kills them all is even worse. It’s like they needed the terrorist aspect to propel the movie forward but didn’t want to touch the subject any more than they had to. So they chose to have them crash in a not-so-violent way and then never address it again.

I guess the viewer is left to assume they crashed but took a little while to gather themselves back up. In that time Doc and Marty were able to get the hell out of there.

But yeah, I’m reality, the Libyans most likely survived that crash and even if they thought Marty was gone (to 1955) and Doc was dead, they still would have gone back to get the remaining plutonium out of Doc’s van.
Old 01-13-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think I recall there's a novelization of the first BTTF at least, might be worth hunting down to see if it talks about the Libyans.
Old 01-13-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think I recall there's a novelization of the first BTTF at least, might be worth hunting down to see if it talks about the Libyans.
It does. I had it as a kid. From what I recall, it says they were stuck in the van when it turned on it's side which still doesn't really jive because they had an open roof in both novel and movie for the guy with the rocket launcher to pop out of. Anyway, in the novel, when Marty comes back from 1955 and sees them crash into the photo booth, after Doc sits up and they have their talk, it is written something like "Marty could hear sirens approaching in the distance". I guess could assume (if you want to buy that they couldn't get out of the freakin' van on their own) that they were pinned in the van and were later arrested but I suppose it wouldn't be a big stretch to also assume they'd rat Doc out because, after all, he's the one with the Plutonium and all they have is a fake bomb filled with pinball machine parts
Old 01-15-23, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 434 Likes on 253 Posts

Sword-related sound effects. The noise every time a sword is sheathed or unsheathed in a movie, and the ring(?) sound effect they put in when someone swings a sword.
Old 01-15-23, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Movies and TV: Car doors being bulletproof and being a suitable place to crouch during a shootout.
And couches!
Old 01-16-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
OK, this one bugs me to no end. Watching Star Trek IV earlier today and it reminded me of the super annoying "computer programming/hacking" where the person magically knows the program or just starts typing and making amazing graphical things appear on screen. Even worse when it's a random computer that apparently has all programs known to man on it just in case someone needs to save the world with it.
Well that computer didn't have it's voice activation program activated so it wasn't perfect. It'll probably be installed next Tuesday.
The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
milo bloom (01-17-23), story (01-17-23)
Old 01-17-23, 07:18 AM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
OK, this one bugs me to no end. Watching Star Trek IV earlier today and it reminded me of the super annoying "computer programming/hacking" where the person magically knows the program or just starts typing and making amazing graphical things appear on screen. Even worse when it's a random computer that apparently has all programs known to man on it just in case someone needs to save the world with it.
"Not now, Madeleine!"
tanman (01-18-23)
Old 01-18-23, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Shoes on furniture - drives me nuts - nobody does that shit and if you do, STOP IT.
Old 01-18-23, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Shoes on furniture - drives me nuts - nobody does that shit and if you do, STOP IT.
I notice this too. Especially when they do it on their bed.
Old 01-18-23, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

This may be real nitpicking, but it infuriates me when an action is initiated and we don't see it completed. For instance, when two people enter a room to discuss something privately, I always yell at the screen "Close the door!" which they rarely do. Or when someone is given a check, a stack of bills with a band around it, or a train/bus/plane ticket, they have it in their hands in one scene and in the next shot their hands are empty. I want to see them put it in their pocket or purse or in a safe place. And when someone delivers something important for a specific person, especially after an arduous journey, I want to see them deliver it in the shot to the exact person it's supposed to go to.

I can think of only one example of a scene where not putting the money in one's pocket created a major plot point. In IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, Uncle Billy (Thomas Mitchell) gets into an argument with Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) at the bank and slams a newspaper down in Potter's lap and storms out. Mr. Potter opens the newspaper and sees the stack of bills Uncle Billy had put into it and smiles, knowing he can now put George Bailey (James Stewart) out of business.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-18-23 at 07:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.