Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Re: Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
The Brickrock one I got to recently and totally agree! Spot on parody, which this show did well with celebs of the time.

LOL, I think this thread is about to become a Cheers-like spinoff thread.
Remember when The Gruesomes moved into the neighborhood

And then the Hatrock hillbilly family came to visit and they had to be driven away by BUG music!!

Old 01-07-23, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Loved the Gruesomes and the band! I hesitated to mention them before as I thought people might view them in the same light as The Great Gazoo - the original 'jumping the shark' but still awesome IMO
Old 01-07-23, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Fake fire.
I get why they use it, and I appreciate the safety and cost factors. So I'm not telling filmmakers to stop doing it. But, if we're being honest, 99% of the time, the fire looks weird, the smoke looks weirder, and it never has the feel of real (controlled) fire on a real set.
​​​​​​
Overuse of CGI, particularly in action/fight scenes, replacing moving bodies, and doing whacky camera movements. The movies that do this look downright stupid during these types of scenes, and they will all age poorly
because of it. I'll leave it at that.
Low budget movies that film a single explosion with multiple cameras, and then show the explosion from all angles, but start each angle shot from the start of the explosion so that it looks like it's exploding seven times in a row.
Old 01-08-23, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Loved the Gruesomes and the band! I hesitated to mention them before as I thought people might view them in the same light as The Great Gazoo - the original 'jumping the shark' but still awesome IMO
That's exactly how I viewed them during the original airings and still do... Season 5 & 6 should never have been made. The era where many movies and TV shows felt compelled to include a lame Beatles knock-off band w/incredibly bad music.
Old 01-08-23, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's exactly how I viewed them during the original airings and still do... Season 5 & 6 should never have been made. The era where many movies and TV shows felt compelled to include a lame Beatles knock-off band w/incredibly bad music.
Well, the thread title does have the word BUG in it, so:

This from an episode of Petticoat Junction. Remarkably, it aired in March 1964, just one month after The Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan and this song hit the US charts.

Old 01-08-23, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
" Well, I say it was cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch ..."

The following 2 users liked this post by Toby Dramit:
BobO'Link (01-08-23), Count Dooku (01-09-23)
Old 01-08-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Season 5 had some of the best episodes in the series. Season 6, on the other hand ...
Old 01-09-23, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Well, this one is a new one for me. Just rewatched Jurassic Park for the umpteenth time and for the first time really noticed how small those cups of water are for the iconic T-Rex scene. Seriously, outside of the cinematic visual, of course, the tiny cups both perfectly half filled (or half empty if you're that kinda' person ) on the dash are ridiculous...especially for a theme park ride that is going to be jostled around on a mud road tour. I mean, I think they're smaller then airline cups

Meanwhile, Malcom has a flask and Grant has a canteen.

Watching the extras on the bluray you see how this scene was a puzzler for the filmmakers on how to get the perfect ripple. It was done when one of the effects guys put a cup on his guitar and plucked a certain chord. So, I'm guessing a larger amount of water would have thrown off the look Speilberg was looking for but, this time out, those tiny cups of water looked pretty silly

The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Crocker Jarmen (01-09-23), story (01-09-23)
Old 01-09-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I always thought they were little disposable cups put in the trucks for picnics in the safer parts of the park. They were clearly sitting there for a while so they got the cups out for the kids.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
IBJoel (01-09-23), story (01-09-23)
Old 01-10-23, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I always thought they were little disposable cups put in the trucks for picnics in the safer parts of the park. They were clearly sitting there for a while so they got the cups out for the kids.
I'd have to go back and watch again if the cups where there when they left or showed up later on the tour and before the attack.
Old 01-11-23, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every time I watch Back to the Future, I wonder: Hey, what happened to the Lybians? I mean, they were pretty in integral to the plot but after they crash they just vanish from the film. FUN FACT: I just learned that what they crash into is a PHOTO STAND (I always thought it was a parking attendant stand ). Either way, it's not very big. The van doesn't explode or another killing them all. I mean, couldn't they have just climbed out the window, saw Marty talking to Doc (now in his bullet proof vest) and bazooka them anyway?

SIDE NOTE: I had the novelization back in the day and believe in the book it is said, when the van falls on one side, all of them were tapped inside of it because that was the side the door was on but, commmmme onnnnn. They had a hole in the roof, multiple windows and another door, two if you count one presumably at the back.
Old 01-11-23, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

OK, this one bugs me to no end. Watching Star Trek IV earlier today and it reminded me of the super annoying "computer programming/hacking" where the person magically knows the program or just starts typing and making amazing graphical things appear on screen. Even worse when it's a random computer that apparently has all programs known to man on it just in case someone needs to save the world with it.

Old 01-11-23, 05:03 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

This line of dialog in Kindergarten Cop:

Arnold -"That's not a dog, that's a ferret"
some kid - "What's a ferret?"
Arnold - "That's a ferret"

Trivial, but it sure bugs me
Old 01-11-23, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN

It's a ferret. It's not a toom-ah.
Old 01-12-23, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by HN

It's probably like the "toad struck by lightning" line in X-Men: it's not meant to be clever on it's own, it's dependent on the delivery by the actor. I haven't seen KC in a while but it's not hard to imagine Arnold not giving the line the proper emphasis.
Old 01-12-23, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's probably like the "toad struck by lightning" line in X-Men: it's not meant to be clever on it's own, it's dependent on the delivery by the actor. I haven't seen KC in a while but it's not hard to imagine Arnold not giving the line the proper emphasis.
The "Who's on First?" routine doesn't make much sense as comedy if you just read the dialogue. It needs the timing of the delivery and Costello's increasing frustration to sell it.
Old 01-12-23, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Every time I watch Back to the Future, I wonder: Hey, what happened to the Lybians? I mean, they were pretty in integral to the plot but after they crash they just vanish from the film. FUN FACT: I just learned that what they crash into is a PHOTO STAND (I always thought it was a parking attendant stand ). Either way, it's not very big. The van doesn't explode or another killing them all. I mean, couldn't they have just climbed out the window, saw Marty talking to Doc (now in his bullet proof vest) and bazooka them anyway?

SIDE NOTE: I had the novelization back in the day and believe in the book it is said, when the van falls on one side, all of them were tapped inside of it because that was the side the door was on but, commmmme onnnnn. They had a hole in the roof, multiple windows and another door, two if you count one presumably at the back.
I always assumed that they changed the present and Doc didn't have to deal with the Lybians for plutonium in the current timeline?
Old 01-12-23, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
I always assumed that they changed the present and Doc didn't have to deal with the Lybians for plutonium in the current timeline?
But when Marty returns to 1985, he sees Doc shot again and the Lybians chasing the other him. Actually, it is at this point we see them crash into the photo booth. We then cut away from the Lybians, and the now returned Marty runs down to Doc, thinking he didn't read the note and is dead. Doc then sits up and they have that chat about changing the future. All this time, the still heavily armed Lybians are in the parking lot in a van that fell on it's side in a photo booth

Granted, some changes happened (ie: Marty's family, Biff getting weakened and Marty getting the truck) but The Lybian subplot just seemed to have been left with them on their side in the now LONE Pine Mall parking lot.

I guess, if the film had showed them chasing Marty farther into Hill Valley I could buy that, once their van overturned and Marty got away from them, they figured, well, the guy we wanted to kill was dead so lets just leave but the crash happens not far from where Doc will sit up again a few moments after they crash (not to mention, now alongside the kid they just saw vanish in car). I mean, Doc and Marty would have had to pack up, bring the trailer (or whatever he had the car and Einstein in) back to his garage before Doc drove Marty back home and took off for 2015. It's not like the two just said, of fuck, those Lybians are still there. Let's cheese it.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 01-12-23 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

You're right I forgot about that!
Old 01-12-23, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Libya and Libyans
The following users liked this post:
ViewAskewbian (01-12-23)
Old 01-12-23, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Libya and Libyans
Thank you Seņor Spelling

Old 01-12-23, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And all these years BTTF has been acclaimed as one of Hollywood's best screenplays. Go figure.
Old 01-12-23, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Movies and TV: Car doors being bulletproof and being a suitable place to crouch during a shootout.
Old 01-12-23, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

People having to do their lines while eating. In real life people eat and talk. It's no big deal. But in films and shows, they do it in a way that's just weird. Like, I know you took a big bite, now you're talking, but you seem to not be chewing as if you're ignoring the food in your mouth.
Old 01-12-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

One thing that's always bugged me is when characters in the foreground are aiming a gun/rifle at a character in the distance, and the aim is obviously WAY off, I guess so the camera can see more of the barrel? It may be an attempt to be more cinematic, but to me it's just ridiculously off-target and makes me think the shooter is mentally deficient.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.