Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 319 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Also, when the hero sneaks into some high-security place and knocks out the guards or henchmen with a karate chop or a quick hold around their neck or some other normally ineffectual method. Esp. when it's a slender hero and the guards are beefy thug types.

Hanna-Barbara's to blame for this ...

"Judo, chop chop. Judo, chop chop ..."
The following 2 users liked this post by Toby Dramit:
Kurt D (01-02-23), ViewAskewbian (01-03-23)
Old 01-02-23, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Also, when the hero sneaks into some high-security place and knocks out the guards or henchmen with a karate chop or a quick hold around their neck or some other normally ineffectual method. Esp. when it's a slender hero and the guards are beefy thug types.
None of that works anyway no matter who is doing the fighting. I read somewhere that if you get hit hard enough in the head that you go unconscious and don’t immediately wake back up, you’re basically in a coma.
Old 01-02-23, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,066 Posts

A carotid restraint will take out someone pretty quickly, if done correctly. The problem is you never see someone doing it correctly in the movies.
Old 01-02-23, 05:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
When alarm clocks go off at odd times, like 7:23. No one sets their alarm for a time like that.
I rarely have alarms set on :00 or :30. I usually calculate the most I can sleep and set it for that. On my works days my alarm goes off at 0339.

Originally Posted by andicus
^My alarm is set for 8:47, and my alarm clock is permanently 10 minutes fast, so actually 8:37.
I don’t have an alarm clock, but I keep my car clock ~15 fast because ‘if you’re not 15 minutes early, you’re late’. Drives my wife crazy.
Old 01-02-23, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I commented too fast on another post, so I’ll delete the duplication and say …

As much as I love watching Bryce Dallas Howard in high heels, women running non-stop in all environments in high heels bugs me.
Originally Posted by Draven
It is actually incredible to me that in this day and age there still apparently aren't enough women involved in any production where someone high enough up is able to raise their hands and go "this is fucking stupid".

I actually get bugged even more when women are put in high heels and the the character is forced to take those heels off and run around barefoot. Have you spent a lot of time running around outside barefoot lately? It's so dumb. I don't know a single woman who wears high heels outside of a big formal occasion. Most certainly aren't running around offices in them.
Bryce Dallas Howard has gone on record that she insisted on the heels and really did all that running in them herself.
Old 01-02-23, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,828 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
Hanna-Barbara's to blame for this ...

"Judo, chop chop. Judo, chop chop ..."
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (01-02-23)
Old 01-02-23, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Thanks, man ... I was feeling like an island unto myself here ...
Kurt D (01-02-23)
Old 01-02-23, 11:27 PM

Thanks, man ... I was feeling like an island unto myself here ...
Bonus for me is I had totally forgotten this episode, haven't seen it since I was a kid, but this reminds me how much I loved it back in the day.
Old 01-03-23, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

A variant of this is the one-punch knockout. Sometimes even a backhand knockout. Can it be done? Yes (not so much the backhand) but it's rarely so instantaneous.

Oh and then there's the henchman instadeath if they get stabbed anywhere.

​​​​​​
Old 01-03-23, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bonus for me is I had totally forgotten this episode, haven't seen it since I was a kid, but this reminds me how much I loved it back in the day.
"Don't tell them anything, no matter how much they torture you. You stupid good-lookings ..."

This one, the Uncle Giggles Haunted House, and the Alvin Brickrock Agatha's Body episodes were 3 of the best ...
Kurt D (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 10:16 AM

"Don't tell them anything, no matter how much they torture you. You stupid good-lookings ..."

This one, the Uncle Giggles Haunted House, and the Alvin Brickrock Agatha's Body episodes were 3 of the best ...
​​​​So true.
Old 01-03-23, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Same! I snagged the Flintstones bluray set last year and have been slowly going through the shows. Haven't hit this one yet (but remember it from lunchtime reruns back in highschool) but have enjoyed every single episode so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Kurt D (01-03-23), Toby Dramit (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

The Brickrock one I got to recently and totally agree! Spot on parody, which this show did well with celebs of the time.

LOL, I think this thread is about to become a Cheers-like spinoff thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Kurt D (01-07-23), Toby Dramit (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
While absolutely true, do you really want to devote three to four minutes of screen time to a strangulation?
They do it all the time in the snuff films I watch and I have no problem with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaymole:
Kurt D (01-03-23), Toby Dramit (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
They do it all the time in the snuff films I watch and I have no problem with it.

Old 01-03-23, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Bryce Dallas Howard has gone on record that she insisted on the heels and really did all that running in them herself.
Roc, I think she insisted as a means to show that she is a tough bad-ass woman who can function while in high heels, a I am woman, hear me roar kind-of thing. Though I would have preferred if she went the Draven route and said this is effing stupid. You can be and look like an accomplished bad-ass girl boss type of woman without being in a skirt and heels.

My pick for something in a movie that I love that always bothers me is from Lethal Weapon.
I love Lethal Weapon to death, but out of all the crazy scenes that could have me shaking my head at how unrealistic they are (and there are a ton of them in this violent live action cartoon of a film), the scene at the end when Riggs and Murtaugh have just shot their way out of the nightclub basement after being tortured (and no comment that I was told that the club in the film does not even have a basement) and end up on Hollywood Blvd, that Riggs is walking down the street with an assault rifle and a woman clearly in distress, and he sidles up to a couple cops and just flashes his badge and says take care of the girl and continue to go after the bad guys, c'mon...the cops just let a guy who flashes a badge go without keeping him on the spot to check out his story and call things in before releasing him from the scene, that type of scenario happens all the time in films or TV shows, but it just stands out to me.

Again, the cops letting Riggs fight Joshua on Murtaugh's lawn, etc. all that stuff does not bother me, but Riggs flashing his badge with a rifle in one hand and a woman in distress in the other hand and being allowed to go on being his bad-ass self as he confronts Joshua on Hollywood Blvd, the freeway, and Murtagh's yard, it is ridiculous, lol!!!

Having said that, the Hollywood Blvd Shootout/action sequence, the freeway shoot out, and the final confrontation with Joshua, one of the best action sequences ever put to film, and full of things I can ignore or suspend my disbelief at how the situation would go down in real life, but that one interaction between Rigg's and cops on Hollywood Blvd has always had me shaking my head and going no way would the police so quickly let a man with an assault rifle simply go on his merry way in pursuit of a perp.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 01-04-23 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-03-23, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
The Brickrock one I got to recently and totally agree! Spot on parody, which this show did well with celebs of the time.

LOL, I think this thread is about to become a Cheers-like spinoff thread.
If it does, then I'm pointing the finger at Ash Ketchum here ...
Old 01-03-23, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

I recently rewatched The Matrix Reloaded. During the freeway chase, one of the Twins fires upon the car Trinity is driving and then phases into said car. I was observing the bullet holes in the roof and how care was taken to justify why no one was hit, given the location of the holes. They are grouped at an angle where the bullets would have entered above the rear passenger side opposite from where the Keymaker was seated. However, when the Twin phases in, it dawns on me that the rear seat should be shredded because of the bullets. The seat is pristine. Now I can't unsee it.
I watched that movie in the theater specifically because I wanted to see the freeway chase. The fight on top of the semi trailer disappointed me. it was as firm and stable as a slab of concrete, when it should have been swaying from driving down the highway and bouncing around from the force of the punches.

I was completely happy with riding the motorcycle the wrong way on the freeway.

Originally Posted by Decker
While absolutely true, do you really want to devote three to four minutes of screen time to a strangulation?
I saw a review of a performance of Macbeth which said the murder of Duncan took a long time. He was chased around the stage after the first stab, there were defensive wounds, and it was bloody and horrifying. I wonder if that would unbalance the performance.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
A carotid restraint will take out someone pretty quickly, if done correctly. The problem is you never see someone doing it correctly in the movies.
Maybe that falls under the heading of "We're making a movie, not teaching people how be successful murderers."
Old 01-03-23, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I took judo for a few months in college and they said that you could knock someone out pretty quickly using their judo gi (the shirt that wraps across your chest) by yanking it up around someone's neck from behind. Just took a few seconds. But again, back to my point from earlier, anyone knocked out that way during a tournament almost immediately wakes back up. This "punch all the bad guys so hard they actually go to sleep" means every single one of them is bound for the hospital at the least.
Old 01-03-23, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Oh come on ... you don't even make it the full three to four minutes!
Old 01-03-23, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Some things are just practical. Seeing people do CPR in movies is just laughable compared to IRL but I don't expect actors to get their chest cavity smashed just to capture it on film. Just like you'll never really see a real newborn baby being born in movies. They always appear to be at least a month old.
IBJoel (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Some things are just practical. Seeing people do CPR in movies is just laughable compared to IRL but I don't expect actors to get their chest cavity smashed just to capture it on film. Just like you'll never really see a real newborn baby being born in movies. They always appear to be at least a month old.
True. Although Hollywood is starting to get pretty good at making fake latex babies (American Sniper not withstanding) for birthing scenes. It looks a lot better than the olden days when she’d give birth to a 6 month old toddler with a full head of hair.
tanman (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
When alarm clocks go off at odd times, like 7:23. No one sets their alarm for a time like that.
For me the implication is always that the alarm was set for a nice round time, but they slept through it and it's just been going off for a couple minutes.

I like fight flicks, having been weaned on them since I was a little kid. Despite the fact that the fights do go on for too long, I enjoy them. However, despite solid fight choreography and physically capable performers, I hate The Raid and The Night Comes for Us because the fights are so excessive they each get to a point where they cease to be entertaining and I'm irked by the fact that no one can keep going that long. I dunno where the line is exactly (since I always look forward to the standout fight in a classic Jackie Chan flick), but those two aforementioned movies cross it repeatedly.
I really like The Raid, but yeah, the first couple minutes of that final 2 vs. 1 fight are cool and it gets to the point of how anyone is throwing punches of much force after taking 5 knees to the head. Donnie Yen movies are guilty of this too. I think with Jackie Chan movies, there's always something going on in addition to the fights. Either it will cut away to another situation for a moment or there's a really cool stunt or Jackie pauses/winces for a second. The comedy is definitely a big factor. It lets the audience know, "Yes, this is a little unrealistic, but hey, we're just having fun here".

Last edited by IBJoel; 01-04-23 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-04-23, 12:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I used to get annoyed with dial tones on phones after the person on other end hangs up (of course, you don't hear a dial tone when this happens)
Cell phones, no. But on landline phones, at least in my area, you hear a dial tone when the other party hangs up.
The following 2 users liked this post by digidoh:
IBJoel (01-04-23), The Cow (01-04-23)
Old 01-07-23, 09:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Fake fire.
I get why they use it, and I appreciate the safety and cost factors. So I'm not telling filmmakers to stop doing it. But, if we're being honest, 99% of the time, the fire looks weird, the smoke looks weirder, and it never has the feel of real (controlled) fire on a real set.
​​​​​​
Overuse of CGI, particularly in action/fight scenes, replacing moving bodies, and doing whacky camera movements. The movies that do this look downright stupid during these types of scenes, and they will all age poorly because of it. I'll leave it at that.
Crocker Jarmen (01-08-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.