Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-22, 09:54 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Trivial things in a movie that bug you anyway

when trailers are misleading.
Old 12-24-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
That's not trivial! You should sue.
Old 12-24-22, 12:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That's not trivial! You should sue.
Here ya go!

Judge: Movie fans can sue over misleading trailer - DVD Talk Forum

Old 12-24-22, 02:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

right over your head...
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (12-28-22)
Old 12-24-22, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think it’s more done in TV. But when a couple has sex and the next morning when they wake up, both are clothed either with underwear or pajamas.

Do you think people don’t get dressed again after sex? You know there’s cleanup and stuff and if it’s winter then they’re absolutely putting on some warm pajamas. And that’s if they completely disrobed to do the deed and that’s rarely a thing either.
Old 12-24-22, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Mentioned in similar threads in the past...

Computers make a tremendous amount of beeping noise when the data is being outputted to the screen... and usually in those case the words are being outputted a words at a time as if they were accessing a mainframe via a 1200bps modem.

On the flip-side, when someone's navigating through internet sites - the pages gets displayed instantaneously... as if they're working off local cached HTML pages.

Extremely fast typing without any typos - which goes in hand with the actor tapping random keys which looks obviously fake.

Someone tasting food and either liking or hating it the millisecond it goes in their mouth before they had a chance to actually taste it.
Old 12-24-22, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Do you think people don’t get dressed again after sex? You know there’s cleanup and stuff
Yeah, in movies and tv, you never see a woman get up after having sex, do a kind of partial squat, and vigorously wipe her crotch with a towel.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
majorjoe23 (12-24-22), milo bloom (12-24-22)
Old 12-25-22, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Highly trained special ops soldiers/Navy SEALs/military commandos/etc. have zero trigger discipline and run around with their finger on the trigger at all times.
The gun stuff always drives me nuts. Like when their semi auto handgun is out of ammo and they continue to pull the trigger and it keeps clicking each time. And to tie Die Hard back into it, right on the freaking movie poster they show Bruce Willis holding a gun right next to his ear pointed straight up.
Old 12-25-22, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, in movies and tv, you never see a woman get up after having sex, do a kind of partial squat, and vigorously wipe her crotch with a towel.
On some of the websites they do a behind the scenes….oh, wrong type of movies.
Old 12-25-22, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I was just talking about the 30th floor last night. You know they are the only ones there Mr security guy

One that always bugged me, why is Karl using the chainsaw when his small feet brother is trying to splice the phone lines? Hans has a plan and he's immediately off script.
Old 12-25-22, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Highly trained special ops soldiers/Navy SEALs/military commandos/etc. have zero trigger discipline and run around with their finger on the trigger at all times.
Originally Posted by John Galt
The gun stuff always drives me nuts. Like when their semi auto handgun is out of ammo and they continue to pull the trigger and it keeps clicking each time. And to tie Die Hard back into it, right on the freaking movie poster they show Bruce Willis holding a gun right next to his ear pointed straight up.
Like a lot of the complaints in this thread, a lot of this comes down to storytelling shortcuts. You don't want to waste screen time having your lead character trying to find a parking space unless it's going to be a plot point later or you're trying to build tension.

The thing about trigger discipline, I think, is that the finger-on-the-trigger is a more dramatic gesture. And, if you're not familiar with the safe and proper use of firearms, it looks kind of weird.

One thing I find amusing is how Pulp Fiction plays with gun safety in movies. Vincent Vega presents a masterclass in how to not handle firearms: Don't leave you gun out unattended where a child or Bruce Willis can pick it up. Only put your finger on the trigger when you're ready to shoot. Don't point your gun at anything you don't intend to kill.

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
IBJoel (01-04-23), majorjoe23 (12-27-22)
Old 12-25-22, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

They kind of did in an episode of Mad Men, and it sort of blew my mind. They always said that Matthew Weiner was a stickler for the details.
Old 12-25-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Going back to a specific movie, Home Alone was on this morning and I remembered a scene that bothers me. The famous shot of Kevin putting aftershave on and screaming. Macaulay Culkin damn near made an empire out of that bit but aftershave doesn’t burn your face unless you actually shave. Hence, he wouldn’t be screaming.

Everything else in that movie, I buy though.
Old 12-25-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The 30th floor doesn't bother me because the guard who pulls the holiday shift is unlikely to be the regular lobby guy and won't know who Holly Gennaro is, let alone if she's one of the yuppy schmucks partying on the 30th floor or someone from the other floors who already went home.

As for trivial stuff that bugs me, the "thwip" sounds silencers make in movies irks me to no end. You cannot sneak into a quiet room and fire a suppressed weapon without alerting everyone else in the room.

​​​​​​

That and I hate when Foley artists keep reusing the sound of a hammer being cocked every time a gun is pointed. Battle: Los Angeles did this multiple times with the same gun in the same shot/scene. And that's only one example off the top of my head.

EDIT: It seems you can get the movie silencer sound if you use subsonic rounds and fire from at least 150 yards away.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-27-22 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-26-22, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

I think we've had a thread like this before. Medical stuff always bugs me. They always....ALWAYS shock on asystole. Even in medical dramas that have real doctors as advisors. I think I might have only seen it once or twice where they actually talk about using epinephrine instead of always dramatically using paddles. And it's always hand held paddles. Never pads. And of course it almost always works.

One particular scene that I thought was hilarious was in This Is Us

Spoiler:
The scene where they finally show us how Jack dies. Props for them having him die later in the hospital from smoke inhalation instead of just burning to death or something more dramatic like that. But what was so funny is his wife went to get a coffee from a vending machine right there next to him and when she got back he had already coded and they called it. The medical must really not have liked him to have tried for all of a minute to save him and then call it right away. It didn't even seem like there was enough time for one round of chest compressions . We code 90 year old stage IV cancer patient's for way longer then that. Let alone someone young and health like that that codes while in the hospital the team would work on him for a really long time before they call it.
The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
Crocker Jarmen (12-27-22), IBJoel (01-04-23)
Old 12-27-22, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Here's a nice video about firearms BS in movies:

Old 12-28-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I used to get annoyed with dial tones on phones after the person on other end hangs up (of course, you don't hear a dial tone when this happens).

NOW, I'm getting annoyed with movie characters picking up other characters' cell phones and using them, as if EVERYONE'S cell phone doesn't lock and demand either a code or face recognition after being unused for so many seconds.
Old 12-28-22, 01:19 PM

Very specific thing to a problematic movie overall, but in the movie Yesterday, where the premise is that everyone forgets that the Beatles ever existed except the main character. After that event happens, he freaks out and googles The Beatles (no hits for the band), then several other bands like The Rolling Stones (still exist), but when he googles Oasis, they also don't exist (implying that without the Beatles, there would be no Oasis). Okay fine. But later it's revealed that the reason Lilly James fell for the main character was that she loved how he had performed "Wonderwall" in a childhood talent show. Clearly that is in direct conflict with the reality of the world they create in the movie. But they never even address it. So annoying.
Old 12-28-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Ok, this just came to me watching The Firm (a minor instance in that movie). The good 'ol FREE parking spot in front of any main building in the most crowded cities. Going to police headquarters, city hall, the building that drives the plot? No problem, here's your single spot right in front, and best of all, it's not metered or a tow away zone!!
In the real world that's been coined as "Kojak-Parking" when you find that prime parking spot directly in front of your destination in a crowded area. Of course it's always large enough that you can drive straight into it, no need to parallel-park!
Old 12-28-22, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Very specific thing to a problematic movie overall, but in the movie Yesterday, where the premise is that everyone forgets that the Beatles ever existed except the main character. After that event happens, he freaks out and googles The Beatles (no hits for the band), then several other bands like The Rolling Stones (still exist), but when he googles Oasis, they also don't exist (implying that without the Beatles, there would be no Oasis). Okay fine. But later it's revealed that the reason Lilly James fell for the main character was that she loved how he had performed "Wonderwall" in a childhood talent show. Clearly that is in direct conflict with the reality of the world they create in the movie. But they never even address it. So annoying.

How to deal with a fucking temporal paradox

Richard Curtis had too much Oasis on the brain
Old 12-28-22, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe with all of the timey-wimey, wibbly-wobbly stuff going on, she thought "Wonderwall" was an original song of his.
IBJoel (01-04-23)
Old 12-28-22, 03:13 PM

Maybe with all of the timey-wimey, wibbly-wobbly stuff going on, she thought "Wonderwall" was an original song of his.
It would have taken all of one line of dialog to clear that up. But they didn't bother.

I also thought the ending "twist" was really gross. It offended the hell out of me. But I understand that I'm in the minority on that point.
BobO'Link (12-28-22)
Old 12-28-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It would have taken all of one line of dialog to clear that up. But they didn't bother.
Perhaps that's why they didn't bother or they didn't even notice it themselves. Anyway, the movie was a wasted opportunity of a nice idea for a movie.
BobO'Link (12-28-22)
Old 12-28-22, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
In the real world that's been coined as "Kojak-Parking" when you find that prime parking spot directly in front of your destination in a crowded area. Of course it's always large enough that you can drive straight into it, no need to parallel-park!
Of course they were doing it in movies long before KOJAK. Just one example: In WHO WAS THAT LADY? (1960), Dean Martin, Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh drive to a restaurant on Broadway in Times Square and park right in front. Earlier in the movie, Martin drives right onto the Columbia University campus (a real location, not a set) to pick up Curtis. I don't think that was allowed then or now. I'm sure I've seen this kind of "Kojak-Parking" in dozens of earlier movies and TV shows, but that's the only example that comes to mind now.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-28-22 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-28-22, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

When alarm clocks go off at odd times, like 7:23. No one sets their alarm for a time like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.