DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/656917-best-adaptation-s-christmas-carol.html)

Benoit Blanc 12-18-22 01:39 AM

Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol"

Mine's the 1984 TV movie with George C. Scott. What's yours?

joe_b 12-18-22 03:53 AM

re: Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol"

Scrooged

Ash Ketchum 12-18-22 05:07 AM

A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951), with Alastair Sim

Josh-da-man 12-18-22 07:42 AM

The Doctor Who one.

The George C. Scott one.

The one with Martin Short and Steve Martin on Saturday Night Live.

Runaway 12-18-22 08:35 AM

Scrooged is the best.

Trevor 12-18-22 09:26 AM

I like them all, pretty much. It’s amazing how many sitcoms and other shows have done little versions of it. I’d possibly pick Scrooged as my favorite, since it’s hard to choose between the “original” versions.

Mike86 12-18-22 12:14 PM

I’ve always enjoyed Disney’s Mickey’s Christmas Carol. Short but tells the story decently in a cute way. Actually just watched it on Friday.

Runaway 12-18-22 02:47 PM

I just watched "The Man who invented Christmas". It's not as good as Scrooged, but I liked how they made the development of the story with Dickens' life. Dan Stevens was really great.

stvn1974 12-18-22 03:12 PM

George C. Scott

My mom recorded it to a VHS tape when it originally aired on TV back in the day. We watched that tape every Christmas Eve until the DVD came out. Now we have the BD and will watch it Christmas Eve this year. My dad and brother snoring through it is a family tradition at this point.

Mondo Kane 12-18-22 08:36 PM

'38. Mostly because it's got my favorite Ghost of Christmas Past
https://64.media.tumblr.com/86196b0d...c5a79e0c8a.gif

rexinnih 12-18-22 10:01 PM

Scrooged is a great one. I do enjoy the 3D version of the Disney one even though it has Jim Carrey in it.

MR Round 12-19-22 12:28 AM

My favorite is the Guy Pearce, Andy Serkis version from 2019, its dark and serious and I just love the tone of it and the production. The Muppets and Scrooged probably come in close second and third

BobO'Link 12-19-22 01:00 AM

Scrooged, followed closely by the 1938 A Christmas Carol.

JeffTheAlpaca 12-19-22 05:09 AM

Mickey's Christmas Carol

mewmartigan 12-19-22 11:57 AM

A Flintstone Christmas Carol....followed closely by the Muppet Christmas Carol.

IBJoel 12-19-22 06:00 PM

The Muppets. I've actually never seen Scrooged, even though that should be a slam dunk for my tastes. I think whenever it was on, the timing just wasn't right. Looks like it's on Prime right now, though

tanman 12-19-22 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14208025)
I’ve always enjoyed Disney’s Mickey’s Christmas Carol. Short but tells the story decently in a cute way. Actually just watched it on Friday.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 14208378)
Mickey's Christmas Carol

Same. I know a lot of that is nostalgia for me and being at the right age when it came out. But it really holds up well. It was the perfect time in Disney animation too IMO. I really like that era of animation for the fab five. Having the original voice for Scrooge McDuck was perfect as well. All the cameos from various Disney movies, the music was great, the rest of the voice acting was spot on as well. It's perfect.

GoldenJCJ 12-19-22 10:02 PM

I’m glad to see the Mickey’s Christmas Carol love. I used to love watching it every year as a little kid and watched it again the other day with my kids and it was still just as cute as I remember. It’s also short enough that it’s not even a slight effort to watch. I think from beginning to end, it’s like 19 minutes.

Also, it was cool to watch it after all these years and notice John Lasseter has an early credit on it.

ViewAskewbian 12-20-22 07:53 AM

Gotta go with the the Simm version too but Muppets is close second.

Runaway 12-20-22 08:24 AM

The theater down the road has a showing of Scrooged, tomorrow. I just bought tickets for my wife and myself.

Count Dooku 12-20-22 09:22 AM

If you're looking for a straight dramatic version, but are adverse to British accents, the 1979 American Christmas Carol starring Henry "Fonzie" Winkler is free on Amazon Prime.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...55964fc503.jpg

jpcamb 12-20-22 10:02 AM

I love Scrooged Can't go wrong with Carole Kane. :wub: I liked the recentish Patrick Stewart one, but have not seen the classic 1938 version AFIK. It feels like this thread needs a poll.

Trevor 12-20-22 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 14208938)
If you're looking for a straight dramatic version, but are adverse to British accents, the 1979 American Christmas Carol starring Henry "Fonzie" Winkler is free on Amazon Prime.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...55964fc503.jpg

Finally saw this one the other day. I really liked it, while not being sure I loved Winkler’s performance. I understand that makes no sense, as he’s in like 99.9% of the screen time…..

dom56 12-20-22 01:27 PM

I loved the George C. Scott version,I watch it every Christmas Eve. The late David Warner is perfect as Bob Cratchit.

rbrown498 12-20-22 03:04 PM

I love this one the most:

I first saw it as a kid on TV, and, while it scared me a little, I fell in instant love with it. I was able to catch it every year for about three years, then it disappeared from my local listings. YouTube to the rescue of a childhood memory once again!