Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol"
Scrooge (1935) - Sir Seymour Hicks
0%
Orson Welles & Campbell Playhouse presents A Christmas Carol (1938) - Lionel Barrymore (radio voice)
5.26%
A Christmas Carol (1938) - Reginald Owen
0%
A Christmas Carol (1951) - Alastair Sim
47.37%
Mister Magoo's Christmas Special (1962) - Mr. Magoo (Jim Backus)
0%
Rod Serling's Carol for Another Christmas (1964) - Sterling Hayden
0%
A Christmas Carol (1969) - Ron Haddrick (voice)
0%
Scrooge (1970) - Albert Finney
0%
A Christmas Carol (1971) - Alastair Sim (voice)
0%
Rich Little's Christmas Carol (1978) - Rich Little as W.C. Fields
0%
The Stingiest Man in Town (1978) - Basil Rathbone (voice)
0%
Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983) - Scrooge McDuck (Alan Young)
10.53%
A Christmas Carol (1984) - George C. Scott
26.32%
Scrooged (1988) - Bill Murray
36.84%
The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) - Michael Caine
26.32%
A Flintstone's Christmas Carol (1994) - Fred Flintstone (Henry Corden)
0%
A Christmas Carol (1997) - Tim Curry (voice)
0%
A Christmas Carol (1999) - Patrick Stewart
5.26%
A Christmas Carol: The Musical (2004) - Kelsey Grammar
0%
A Christmas Carol (2009) - Jim Carrey
5.26%
Doctor WHO's A Christmas Carol (2010) - Michael Gambon
0%
A Christmas Carol (2019) - Guy Pearce
0%
Spirited (2022) - Will Farrell and Ryan Reynolds
5.26%
Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (2022) - Luke Evans (voice)
0%
OTHER (write-in below)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol"

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-22, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
re: Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol"

Originally Posted by tanman
Same. I know a lot of that is nostalgia for me and being at the right age when it came out. But it really holds up well. It was the perfect time in Disney animation too IMO. I really like that era of animation for the fab five.
I'll never forget how frightening the visuals were during the Ghost of Christmas Future scene, especially the sequence of Scrooge falling into the grave with the fiery coffin. That might have been one of the most intense scenes I'd seen at the time.
Old 12-20-22, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'll never forget how frightening the visuals were during the Ghost of Christmas Future scene, especially the sequence of Scrooge falling into the grave with the fiery coffin. That might have been one of the most intense scenes I'd seen at the time.
OMG I thought I was the only one. Yeah that really scared me when I was a kid. Even the Jacob Marley scene with Goofy made me a little uneasy. I just rewatched it with the family and could feel my decades old fear.
Luckily my 10 year old and 3 year old seemed unaffected. Which is strange because they're scared of everything.
Old 12-21-22, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Speaking about being freaked out, Ignorance and Want living under The Ghost of Christmas Present's robes creeped me out when I was a kid.

Old 12-21-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Here's version I've never heard of. I just happened upon it in the HBO Max catalog.

Carol for Another Christmas is a 1964 American TV movie, written by Rod Serling and directed by Joseph Mankieicz. Originally televised on the ABC network on December 28, 1964, it was not shown again for 48 years, until TCM broadcast it on December 16, 2012.

Sterling Hayden stars in the Scrooge role as an American industrialist, who supports an isolationist foreign policy, the rejection of diplomacy, and a build-up of nuclear weapons.

I'm gonna watch it tonight. Just 90 minutes. Quite a cast.

Old 12-21-22, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Today I watched a Youtuber's reaction video to watching Scrooged. She complained that the story was too predictable because she had seen the same basic story done on the TV show "Popular". She seemed to have never heard of A Christmas Carol before.
Old 12-22-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^I watched that last night too But during the taping of the Scrooge TV special, I thought I heard her say something like "Oh is this where the original story came from"?
Old 12-22-22, 02:44 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Best Adaptation of "A Christmas Carol"

UPDATED WITH POLL. Check all that apply.

Take the poll and mark all that apply as the version(s) of A Christmas Carol that you enjoy and/or recommend.

Let us know in the comments why you like that one. Why do you recommend it?

Are there any stand-out moments in a particular version that are very effective, or perhaps have lingering childhood trauma, for you?

Are there any the poll misses that you would recommend?

Here's a list of films based on the original Charles Dickens story and a top 25 ranking from Collider.

The poll only allowed for 25 choice so I left a few out that I found while researching for it, like Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol (1979, it's only 8 minutes), Ms. Scrooge with Cicely Tyson, and the Scrooge and Marley 1901 short film.

Last edited by story; 12-22-22 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-22-22, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Best Adaptation(s) of "A Christmas Carol"

My mom had A Christmas Carol (2019) with Guy Pearce on the other day and it is so depressing that I thought about calling my psychiatrist a couple of times during it.
Old 12-22-22, 09:44 PM

I grew up with the 1951 Alastair Sim version and that's the definitive version in my mind. It's the one I go back to every year and can even get my kids to sit through, sometimes. Yeah, this is the version for me, and I don't think that will ever change.

The 1984 George C. Scott version came out when I was a kid and that's good, too. It was the most effective scene of Ignorance and Want of any version I've seen; the Ghost of Christmas Present really sells it. That moment is the most true and universal teaching in the whole story, to me.

I don't love the 1970 Albert Finney version but I remember being really scared by the skeleton reveal of the Ghost of Crhistmas Future and Scrooge falling into the grave. That's a haunting childhood memory!

I really want to like the 1999 Patric Stewart version because i love Patric Stewart, but ultimatultima's far too clunky and feels cheap to me. The aforementioned Ignorance and Want scene is particularly terrible.

I didn't know Alastair Sim reprised the role for a cartoon version in 1971 until i researched options for the poll.
Old 12-22-22, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
I really want to like the 1999 Patric Stewart version because i love Patric Stewart, but ultimatultima's far too clunky and feels cheap to me.
Scrooge regaining his laughter is all I remember most from this. Stewart sells that moment incredibly well.
The following users liked this post:
story (12-22-22)
Old 12-22-22, 10:28 PM

Been a while since I watched it and I don't recall that moment. I have it on DVD. Tis the season...
Old 12-24-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

I just watched The Muppet Christmas Carol with my kids. Surprisingly, this is the first time I’ve seen it. It was actually pretty good. Michael Caine’s choice to play Scrooge completely straight was probably a questionable choice when they were making the movie but worked really well with all the zaniness of the Muppets happening around him.
Boondock Saint (12-25-22)
Old 12-25-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I just watched The Muppet Christmas Carol with my kids. Surprisingly, this is the first time I’ve seen it. It was actually pretty good. Michael Caine’s choice to play Scrooge completely straight was probably a questionable choice when they were making the movie but worked really well with all the zaniness of the Muppets happening around him.
Before coming on here, my daughter told me she'd just watched this and she said the same thing about Caine's performance. Now I have to see this. I don't remember ever knowing that Caine was in it. I was more interested in ON DEADLY GROUND at the time.
GoldenJCJ (12-26-22)
Old 12-25-22, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
We just watched it for the first time too this year. And yeah I was expecting more Micheal Caine from Miss Congeniality instead it's more Michael Caine at Bruce Wayne's funeral in the Dark Knight Rises. It really was the right choice and serves a nice contrast from the Muppet's general zaniness.
GoldenJCJ (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 12:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I grew up with the 1951 Alastair Sim version and that's the definitive version in my mind. It's the one I go back to every year and can even get my kids to sit through, sometimes. Yeah, this is the version for me, and I don't think that will ever change.

The 1984 George C. Scott version came out when I was a kid and that's good, too. It was the most effective scene of Ignorance and Want of any version I've seen; the Ghost of Christmas Present really sells it. That moment is the most true and universal teaching in the whole story, to me.

I don't love the 1970 Albert Finney version but I remember being really scared by the skeleton reveal of the Ghost of Crhistmas Future and Scrooge falling into the grave. That's a haunting childhood memory!

I really want to like the 1999 Patric Stewart version because i love Patric Stewart, but ultimatultima's far too clunky and feels cheap to me. The aforementioned Ignorance and Want scene is particularly terrible.

I didn't know Alastair Sim reprised the role for a cartoon version in 1971 until i researched options for the poll.
I too grew up with the 1951 Alastair Sim version and that's the definitive version in my mind.

I always see George C Scott as Buck Turgidson or maybe Patton so I can't buy him as Scrooge.

Scrooged is good but I'm kind of tired with Bill Murray.
Old 12-26-22, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After watching a lot of youtuber reactions to Scrooged this weekend, it still manages to hold up well enough for a lot of younger viewers. But, as expected, they're clueless to a lot of the references (Lee Majors, Richard Pryor's fire incident & the casting of the TV-Movie) And to be fair to them, I wasn't aware of Robert Mitchum's status when I first saw this in it's original theatrical release either.