Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0
0%
14.71%
32.35%
20.59%
17.65%
8.82%
0
0%
5.88%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
What are you high?
0
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-11-23, 11:28 PM
  #151  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25,583
Received 2,721 Likes on 1,789 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I edited my response to tanman for a little clarification. I was just comparing movie reviews for movies that have stood the test of time to Avatarís reviews. I probably would have been a little clearer if in hadnít mentioned any other movies by name. It really doesnít matter what movieís reviews I was comparing it to, just that the Avatar movies are judged on a different scale than other movies. Beyond its technical achievements, the Avatar movies are forgettable, which is were the topic in this thread had gone.
Old 09-12-23, 01:23 AM
  #152  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,029
Received 1,364 Likes on 847 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I found the 3D from the original Avatar okay at best. But I think 3D in general is stupid and Iím glad it has returned to the dustbin where it belongs (until someone tries to bring it back again in 30 years).

My issues with the series is I think itís pretty middle-of-the-road, with bland scripts, forgettable characters, little to no humor and nothing particular compelling about the production design. And while they make billions, they are forgotten the second you walk out of the theater which I still maintain is pretty weird for the most money-making movies of all time. Usually they have SOMETHING to hang their hats on or some influence on the culture at large.

As for the Marvel complaints, I have no issues with the MCU being interconnected because thatís literally how comic books work.
Old 09-12-23, 01:32 AM
  #153  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,551
Received 803 Likes on 571 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Which F&F movie went DTV? (Or are you counting Los Bandoleros, the short film included with Fast & Furious?)
Oops. I was totally wrong on that. For some reason I thought Tokyo Drift went DTV. I did say I wasn't familiar with the franchise and hadn't seen any of the movies.
Old 09-12-23, 01:51 AM
  #154  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,551
Received 803 Likes on 571 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
I found the 3D from the original Avatar okay at best. But I think 3D in general is stupid and Iím glad it has returned to the dustbin where it belongs (until someone tries to bring it back again in 30 years).

My issues with the series is I think itís pretty middle-of-the-road, with bland scripts, forgettable characters, little to no humor and nothing particular compelling about the production design. And while they make billions, they are forgotten the second you walk out of the theater which I still maintain is pretty weird for the most money-making movies of all time. Usually they have SOMETHING to hang their hats on or some influence on the culture at large.

As for the Marvel complaints, I have no issues with the MCU being interconnected because thatís literally how comic books work.

I can see all of those complaints except production design. You can see how much thought really went into all of the details in either movie. It's a fully realized lived in world.

I think I maybe see why Avatar doesn't generate much buzz after release. Look at the top 10 grossing movies of all time domestically. All of them except for Avatar and Titanic are sequels. Even if you expand it to the top 25 only Barbie and Mario aren't a sequel or a remake. And every single one of those movies are based on properties and IP (or actual events in the case of Titanic) that go back decades. They make a cultural impact because they've already made a cultural impact over the course of decades of other movies/toys/video games/comic books. These are all known properties. And then you have Avatar whose whole IP only consists of two movies at this point. So of course there's not much to talk about because there's not much history there. Anytime a comic book movie or another Star Wars movie comes out there's plenty to talk about.

Also I wonder how many people that disparage Avatar also complain how the only movies that come out are sequels or remakes or comic book movies.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-13-23)
Old 09-12-23, 08:50 AM
  #155  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,029
Received 1,364 Likes on 847 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman
I can see all of those complaints except production design. You can see how much thought really went into all of the details in either movie. It's a fully realized lived in world.
Pandora actually makes no sense. All plant and wildlife is connectable by USB? Everything has six legs for some reason? It's just sparkly and colorful.

I think I maybe see why Avatar doesn't generate much buzz after release. Look at the top 10 grossing movies of all time domestically. All of them except for Avatar and Titanic are sequels. Even if you expand it to the top 25 only Barbie and Mario aren't a sequel or a remake. And every single one of those movies are based on properties and IP (or actual events in the case of Titanic) that go back decades. They make a cultural impact because they've already made a cultural impact over the course of decades of other movies/toys/video games/comic books. These are all known properties.
I mean, just to pull one bit of this out, there have been other Titanic movies. The reason that Cameron's Titanic did what it did was because it checked every quadrant - well-acted, incredible production design, compelling script, funny, romantic and fantastic action set pieces. That movie deserves the success it received.

And then you have Avatar whose whole IP only consists of two movies at this point. So of course there's not much to talk about because there's not much history there. Anytime a comic book movie or another Star Wars movie comes out there's plenty to talk about.
Well, Star Wars originally only had three movies and made quite the impact. Kids are still dressing up like OT Star Wars characters for Halloween. When was the last time you saw a "Jake Sully" or "Quaritch" costume? Side note, I had to go look up Quaritch's character's name because it is completely out of my brain.

Also I wonder how many people that disparage Avatar also complain how the only movies that come out are sequels or remakes or comic book movies.
I thought Avatar and its sequel were pretty middle-of-the-road but I have no issues with sequels, remakes or comic book movies in general as long as they are good. Hollywood has always done remakes (the 1939 Wizard of Oz is a remake), I love sequels because I love seeing stories continue with characters I enjoy (I also read a lot of books that have multiple sequels for the same reason) and I've been wanting the current iteration of Marvel movies on the big screen since I was a comic book fan growing up in the 80s.
Old 09-12-23, 09:25 AM
  #156  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,526
Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Pandora actually makes no sense. All plant and wildlife is connectable by USB? Everything has six legs for some reason? It's just sparkly and colorful.
Star Wars makes no sense. All living beings are connected by an invisible force composed of microscopic organisms?
Old 09-12-23, 10:12 AM
  #157  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 42,029
Received 1,364 Likes on 847 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Star Wars makes no sense. All living beings are connected by an invisible force composed of microscopic organisms?
Yep! And ships donít make sounds in space, lightspeed isnít real, all planets apparently have one climate and lightsabers are impossible. But I ignore those things because the movies are so freaking fun to watch.
Old 09-12-23, 10:25 AM
  #158  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,431
Received 746 Likes on 549 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Yep! And ships donít make sounds in space, lightspeed isnít real, all planets apparently have one climate and lightsabers are impossible. But I ignore those things because the movies are so freaking fun to watch.
Don't forget gravity. The gravity on every planet is exactly what it needs to be for humans to walk normally and not die instantly.
The following users liked this post:
Draven (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23, 09:15 PM
  #159  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,551
Received 803 Likes on 571 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Pandora actually makes no sense. All plant and wildlife is connectable by USB? Everything has six legs for some reason? It's just sparkly and colorful.
Just because you don't understand it or like it doesn't mean it wasn't well thought out. Doesn't make any sense to who? Just because it's a foreign concept doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. It's Scifi. It's not about it making sense it's about building a world that consistently works within the rules they've established. And it's really hard to argue they didn't take their time in making Pandora feel like a real world.

Originally Posted by Draven
Yep! And ships donít make sounds in space, lightspeed isnít real, all planets apparently have one climate and lightsabers are impossible. But I ignore those things because the movies are so freaking fun to watch.
Well there you go. It's your own bias on what you'll accept and what you won't. Doesn't mean they didn't do a good job. Pandora is a much more consistent, well thought out world than Star Wars.

Originally Posted by Draven
I mean, just to pull one bit of this out, there have been other Titanic movies. The reason that Cameron's Titanic did what it did was because it checked every quadrant - well-acted, incredible production design, compelling script, funny, romantic and fantastic action set pieces. That movie deserves the success it received.
Totally agree. But it's only 1 movie out of 25 and I would argue with how infamous of an incident it was there is a lot of history already built in to the movie. So in a way it's already an existing property.

Originally Posted by Draven
Well, Star Wars originally only had three movies and made quite the impact. Kids are still dressing up like OT Star Wars characters for Halloween. When was the last time you saw a "Jake Sully" or "Quaritch" costume? Side note, I had to go look up Quaritch's character's name because it is completely out of my brain.

I thought Avatar and its sequel were pretty middle-of-the-road but I have no issues with sequels, remakes or comic book movies in general as long as they are good. Hollywood has always done remakes (the 1939 Wizard of Oz is a remake), I love sequels because I love seeing stories continue with characters I enjoy (I also read a lot of books that have multiple sequels for the same reason) and I've been wanting the current iteration of Marvel movies on the big screen since I was a comic book fan growing up in the 80s.
Yep totally agree with all your points. I guess I'm not really expressing my thoughts very well. I'm not arguing Avatar deserves more praise. I just think it deserves less hate. It's not a cultural phenomenon. I totally agree that Star Wars had much more of a cultural impact than Avatar did. Of course it did it's Star Wars. But again how many IPs have really achieved that? I'm just saying that Avatar should be judged for what it is. It's just a popcorn flick.


The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-13-23)
Old 09-15-23, 10:47 AM
  #160  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,520
Received 233 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Watching episodes of Star Trek: TOS recently, it's pretty glaring how they always send their three top officers (Kirk, Spock, McCoy) down to every planet they visit, no matter what dangers may lurk there, and they never need space suits or helmets or weighted boots or anything. And everyone on those planets speaks English, even when they're not human. I think it was Star Trek that prepared us for PLANET OF THE APES (1968) and the apes speaking and writing English and Taylor (Charlton Heston) never even wondering why. I loved PLANET back then, but when I watched it on cable recently for the first time in decades, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous--for a variety of reasons.
Old 09-15-23, 11:30 AM
  #161  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 42,629
Received 1,669 Likes on 1,286 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

And most of the aliens look human or are at the very least humanoid. But you're just reminding all of us why it's sometimes better to have the innocence (and ability to suspend belief) of childhood and not the cynicism of adulthood (or fandom)
Old 09-15-23, 12:20 PM
  #162  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25,583
Received 2,721 Likes on 1,789 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Watching episodes of Star Trek: TOS recently, it's pretty glaring how they always send their three top officers (Kirk, Spock, McCoy) down to every planet they visit, no matter what dangers may lurk there, and they never need space suits or helmets or weighted boots or anything. And everyone on those planets speaks English, even when they're not human. I think it was Star Trek that prepared us for PLANET OF THE APES (1968) and the apes speaking and writing English and Taylor (Charlton Heston) never even wondering why. I loved PLANET back then, but when I watched it on cable recently for the first time in decades, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous--for a variety of reasons.
Spoilers, man!
Old 09-16-23, 12:30 AM
  #163  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
L. Ron zyzzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Formerly known as Kurt D - On a cloud of Judgement
Posts: 13,533
Received 1,515 Likes on 1,038 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I am slowly forcing myself to re-watch this on Max to give it a "second chance".

I think if you go in with the right mindset; acknowledging it as a visually amazing too-earnest overly-long popcorn movie, with clunky politics and characters you find it difficult to relate to because they look really weird, then it's enjoyable!


(An aside: it mixes sit-com tropes with children-in-peril-of-death stuff so easily! Is it a wonder it gets mixed reactions?)

(A little bit more - I'm live-tweeting in one post.
Cameron put so much effort into crafting his hugely individual vision, while at the same time wanting to appeal to as many people as possible. It's an uneasy mix.)

Last edited by L. Ron zyzzle; 09-16-23 at 12:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (09-18-23)
Old 09-28-23, 12:10 AM
  #164  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
L. Ron zyzzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Formerly known as Kurt D - On a cloud of Judgement
Posts: 13,533
Received 1,515 Likes on 1,038 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Has anyone asked why the whale would need bioluminescent organs inside its body yet? I don't want to re-read the whole thread.
Old 09-28-23, 08:28 AM
  #165  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25,583
Received 2,721 Likes on 1,789 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
Has anyone asked why the whale would need bioluminescent organs inside its body yet? I don't want to re-read the whole thread.
I think it was just an acting choice by the whale.

You or I may have taken the character in a different direction but Cameron didnít see that ďitĒ factor in us.
Old 09-28-23, 10:27 AM
  #166  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,819
Received 919 Likes on 547 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water (Cameron, 2022) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
Has anyone asked why the whale would need bioluminescent organs inside its body yet? I don't want to re-read the whole thread.
This actually makes an excellent point about evolution! It may not have "needed" them, but if they didn't cause a hindrance, the structures may have simply never mutated out of genes. Or they're part of an elaborate mating ritual.
The following users liked this post:
L. Ron zyzzle (09-28-23)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.