Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar 2: Will it break records, bomb, or just go “meh”?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How will Avatar 2 do at the box office?
It’ll smash records and become the new all-time box office champion
7.46%
It will do well, but not huge numbers
70.15%
It will do mediocre but big numbers outside the US
7.46%
It will do poorly everywhere
2.99%
I honestly have no idea
4.48%
I’m waiting for Titanic 2
7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Avatar 2: Will it break records, bomb, or just go “meh”?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-23, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Avatar 2: Will it break records, bomb, or just go “meh”?

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Fair enough, but my personal anecdotal experience has been people who saw Avatar comment only on the visuals.

And I’m well aware of the Avatar discussion thread of course, but if I posted my thoughts in there I’d probably be called a troll, asked why I’m commenting on a movie I don’t like, etc.

This has been a fun discussion but I don’t think I have anything else to say on it. I sincerely am glad there are many people enjoying this film. I just don’t get it!
I like it for the eco-warrior message. I like that the movie broaches the subject of cetacean/non-human intelligence/sapience and environmental ethics. It has an anti-Friedman economics, anti-colonialist, and pro-responsible stewardship message and I think that's very important to get out to the masses. It helps that it's packaged in great effects with a climax that shows other filmmakers how it's done.

It's super escapist (although can't say I'm down to become a sea person. I'd burn to a crisp!) while also featuring timely messages about the dangers of our modern way of doing business.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (02-02-23)
Old 02-02-23, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I mean if you guys want to get super anal comparing 3d markup vs Maverick then why not factor in run time? I get a whole extra hour for $3 more compared to Maverick's 2 hours and no 3D up charge.

Also want to note, this thread has gotten a lot more action than the thread to actually discuss the movie. That thread has had something like 50 posts in January. Just eyeballing the Maverick spoilers thread (post release discussion), that thread has significantly more discussion in its first month. Like at least 2-3x as much. That’s in line with what Draven is saying - no one is talking about Avatar except for its BO performance. The movie doesn’t inspire discussion of its story.
We have a limited audience here and we all saw it a month ago. It's been discussed. It doesn't have the repeat views Maverick did because of the run time to where folks will keep coming back to discuss.
Dr. DVD (02-06-23)
Old 02-02-23, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Fair enough, but my personal anecdotal experience has been people who saw Avatar comment only on the visuals.

And I’m well aware of the Avatar discussion thread of course, but if I posted my thoughts in there I’d probably be called a troll, asked why I’m commenting on a movie I don’t like, etc.

This has been a fun discussion but I don’t think I have anything else to say on it. I sincerely am glad there are many people enjoying this film. I just don’t get it!
I'm like that with the Fast the the Furious movies. I've never seen a single one but am amazed at the trajectory of that franchise. From a moderate success to straight to home video to some of the highest grossing movies ever made.

We have lots of people commenting on lots of threads that don't like movies and (most of the time) they don't get called a troll. It's a fun discussion.

Except for the Star Wars threads......Don't you dare go in that thread without rigorous scientific proof to back your opinions or you'll get jumped.
Old 02-02-23, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I mean if you guys want to get super anal comparing 3d markup vs Maverick then why not factor in run time? I get a whole extra hour for $3 more compared to Maverick's 2 hours and no 3D up charge.

We have a limited audience here and we all saw it a month ago. It's been discussed. It doesn't have the repeat views Maverick did because of the run time to where folks will keep coming back to discuss.
It is interesting how there isn't much to discuss with the Avatar films. Maybe because the movies are pretty straightforward plot wise. There's not much controversy to discuss. It's kind of there. You like it or you don't.
Old 02-02-23, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
It is interesting how there isn't much to discuss with the Avatar films. Maybe because the movies are pretty straightforward plot wise. There's not much controversy to discuss. It's kind of there. You like it or you don't.
He tried to hide from his pursuer with people who live near whales (that aren't whales damn it!) but they found him.

Also his kids have trouble adjusting to their new life.

Old 02-03-23, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I don't get why *ticket sales* aren't the thing that counts. Box Office really doesn't prove more tickets were sold, as with the two Avatar films with their 3D markups, just that tickets possibly cost more and mainly shows if a film made money against its production costs. Great... and who really cares other than the investors? Tell me how many tickets were sold in comparison to another "big" film and I might be impressed.

That said...

Avatar 2, like pretty much all of Cameron's works, looks to be a rather generic, cliche, story with pretty visuals and lots of action that's designed to appeal to the mass market of movie goers as well as get people in seats who don't normally go to the theater to see a movie. And his movies do just that, just like lots of other "Blockbuster" type films (including works from Spielberg, Lucas, Nolan, and other current "big name" producers/directors). I don't bother with any of them in the theater for the same reason I don't bother with Cameron's in the theater. I just don't like seeing movies that way and none of them have produced anything in the past 20 years that makes me want to see them in a theater.

I thought Avatar was pretty generic though it has excellent visuals. Unfortunately, visuals alone do not a "good" movie make. I've seen it twice and might watch it again before I watch Avatar 2 just to refresh myself on the story and characters (none of whom I could name and only know the name of one of the actors in the film). I tend to think I'll feel the same once I finally see Avatar 2 (which, like Avatar, will be on disc at home on my setup once the price drops to bargain level - usually after 6 months or so). I feel the same about all of Cameron's films.
Old 02-03-23, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I’d argue that most of Cameron’s work is far better than the Avatar series. They remind me of Lucas’s prequels - where he took all of his ideas, no matter how stupid, and ran with them. Things like T2 and True Lies are fun, funny, exciting and just plain cool. Even Titanic is romantic and thrilling with some fantastic performances.

bunkaroo (02-03-23)
Old 02-03-23, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I don't get why *ticket sales* aren't the thing that counts. Box Office really doesn't prove more tickets were sold, as with the two Avatar films with their 3D markups, just that tickets possibly cost more and mainly shows if a film made money against its production costs. Great... and who really cares other than the investors? Tell me how many tickets were sold in comparison to another "big" film and I might be impressed.
France measures ticket sales. Not sure who else does. All time, Titanic is number 1, Avatar is 8, this movie is number 18 so far. Pretty impressive considering it’s all time, and competing with domestic films.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_France

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-03-23 at 11:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluetoast:
BobO'Link (02-03-23), IBJoel (02-03-23)
Old 02-04-23, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

As someone who has collected Sideshow statues, I find this fascinating. All the $300 Jake Sully statues (collector and exclusive editions) are sold out:

https://www.sideshow.com/collectible...178?var=200178

So who bought them? I assume this niche market is comprised of folks like the ones on this forum, yet most people around here act like they wouldn't be caught dead with this.
Why So Blu? (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rennervision
As someone who has collected Sideshow statues, I find this fascinating. All the $300 Jake Sully statues (collector and exclusive editions) are sold out:

https://www.sideshow.com/collectible...178?var=200178

So who bought them? I assume this niche market is comprised of folks like the ones on this forum, yet most people around here act like they wouldn't be caught dead with this.
That actually might prove the opposite position. I've only really seen Avatar merch with this release of the WoW. Has Sideshow ever release anything Avatar before this past year? There weren't any toys that I can recall from the first movie. And yeah I get it that the first Avatar wasn't really expected to be a big hit so they didn't get merch machine going yet but, for example, with Star Wars it was the same thing but before Empire the merch mahcine was already in full swing. So it does kind of speak to the lack of cultural significance of the franchise. Of course it's a bit different this time around and it may prove to be a lasting franchise gaining in popularity. There has been a lot of merch for the WoW including a pretty awesome Banshee model from McFarlane that my daughter asked for for christmas it's pretty awesome and huge.

https://www.superherohype.com/news/5...action-figures

Old 02-06-23, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I kind of wanted the McFarlane mechs but everything but the little versions weren't available at Xmastime, and I have no idea if it's popularity, Christmas, or just stocking shenanigans.
Old 02-14-23, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oddly enough one Walmart near me had all the Avatar toys on unadvertised clearance prices right before Christmas so I got a bunch for my daughter. The little ones were $5 and the bigger ones were $10. They didn't have any of the larger scale ones like the Banshee or the big mech though. Sucks that with the big mech there isn't a human figure included.
Old 02-19-23, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

After duking it out with Titanic for a couple weekends, Way of Water has now come out on top and is #3 worldwide box office:

$2,243,300,000 - Avatar Way of Water
$2,242,800,000 - Titanic

It's unlikely to reach #2 - Avengers Endgame with $2.798 billion.
Old 02-20-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Just out of curiosity: why would they re-release TITANIC while Cameron's newest film is still in theaters? Couldn't they have waited a few weeks?
Old 02-20-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

What percentage of first dollar gross do you think Cameron has on this film?
Old 02-20-23, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Just out of curiosity: why would they re-release TITANIC while Cameron's newest film is still in theaters? Couldn't they have waited a few weeks?
It was re-released for Valentine’s Day.
Old 02-20-23, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nothing says romance more than watching 1,500 people die.
Alan Smithee (02-21-23)
Old 02-21-23, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
It was re-released for Valentine’s Day.
And for the movie's 25th Anniversary.

And I'm sure to ride the wave of Avatar's popularity. Like, "Remember that first time that Cameron had a massive hit? Watch it again now!" And also, Titanic is Paramount, so I'm sure they didn't mind drafting on Disney's box office.
Old 02-21-23, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cocaine Bear is upon us... and with no competition. $2 billion should be a cake walk.
Old 03-07-23, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

March 28th on PVOD.
Old 03-07-23, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Bomb!

Will the next one stay on track for December 2024?
Old 03-07-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

So is this movie going to pass Top Gun for biggest domestic of 2022?

It’s still about $46 million away.
Old 03-08-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
So is this movie going to pass Top Gun for biggest domestic of 2022?

It’s still about $46 million away.
Highly unlikely, IMO. From this point in its run, even Avatar 1 only added $29 million more to its final total (before re-releases), and it had stronger legs than 2.
Avatar 2 will be lucky if it hits $700 million.