Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022, D: Coogler) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever?
9.30%
6.98%
11.63%
27.91%
27.91%
2.33%
9.30%
2.33%
2.33%
0%
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 06:09 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...d-coogler.html

Synopsis:
Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett), Shuri (Letitia Wright), M’Baku (Winston Duke), Okoye (Danai Gurira) and the Dora Milaje (including Florence Kasumba), fight to protect their nation from intervening world powers in the wake of King T’Challa’s death. As the Wakandans strive to embrace their next chapter, the heroes must band together with the help of War Dog Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o) and Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) and forge a new path for the kingdom of Wakanda.
Director: Ryan Coogler
Cast: Angela Bassett, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Danai Gurira, Florence Kasumba, Lupita Nyong’o, Martin Freeman, Tenoch Huerta, Dominique Thorne, Michaela Coel, Mabel Cadena and Alex Livanalli

Runtime: 2 hours 41 minutes

Budget: $250mil

Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bla...akanda_forever
Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/bla...forever?ref=hp

Screenings start today, Thursday, at 3pm.

It is said there is only a mid-credit scene, not end credit scene.
Old 11-10-22, 05:31 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022, D: Coogler) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

It was alright. A bit sluggish in the middle. As I already could tell from the marketing and the difference in font size of the logo... this is definitely a WAKANDA movie, not a Black Panther movie.

I guess there was enough motivation for Shuri to take on the mantle and I thought Wright did a good job. I do hope that a lot of the behind-the-scenes drama with her has been exaggerated...or at least some sense was talked into her. I don't think they'd put the franchise on her shoulders if things weren't straightened out. But... again... we end a Marvel movie with the child of one of our heroes being introduced... so who knows what they do for the future.

Tenoch Huerta was cool as Namor. I really liked Dominque Thorne as Riri and look forward to seeing more of her in Ironheart.

The MBJ cameo was great.

Last edited by dex14; 11-10-22 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-10-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022, D: Coogler) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Oof. Read a few “fan” reviews and this sounds like more cringeworthy crap. Cancelled my Regal Unlimited ticket. Will likely see it sometime next week before my subscription runs out. I think I’m done with Marvel: the post Endgame run is a bunch of try-hard crap that high schoolers would find “deep”.

The original run of films is a true unique moment in film history and while they weren’t all perfect films at least they tried to do something new.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boba Fett:
bunkaroo (11-21-22), TGM (11-10-22)
Old 11-10-22, 09:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Oof. Read a few “fan” reviews and this sounds like more cringeworthy crap. Cancelled my Regal Unlimited ticket. Will likely see it sometime next week before my subscription runs out. I think I’m done with Marvel: the post Endgame run is a bunch of try-hard crap that high schoolers would find “deep”.

The original run of films is a true unique moment in film history and while they weren’t all perfect films at least they tried to do something new.
every post-Endgame failure is one step closer to a RDJr and Chris Evans return.
Old 11-10-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I love everything about Namor and his origin and loved how they tied it all together. Shuri can't carry the Black Panther mantle though and I'm not sure if the kid will be old enough for when Secret Wars or whatever comes next to take over. I wasnt feeling Ironheart.

Lupita is so beautiful. Her spanish was so on point and I almost didnt hear a hint of an accent. I love her even more now. lol
Old 11-11-22, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ended up going to see it after all. It wasn’t unwatchable, but ultimately pointless and just as mediocre as everything in Phase IV save No Way Home.

Bloated, aimless, and often cheap looking. I’ll post more detailed thoughts tomorrow including what I did like. Absolutely zero rewatch value in my book.
Old 11-11-22, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Dang. Boba Fett has me worried that I broke down and got tickets to catch this on Sunday with a buddy of mine. The last Marvel movie we watched was the horrid Thor: Love and Thunder. This is at least better than that, right?
Old 11-11-22, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its 1000% better. =)
Old 11-11-22, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Dang. Boba Fett has me worried that I broke down and got tickets to catch this on Sunday with a buddy of mine. The last Marvel movie we watched was the horrid Thor: Love and Thunder. This is at least better than that, right?
Its high points are definitely better than Thor. Thor however was a merciful sub-two hour movie. This is a relentless nearly three hour mess. Ironically both movies really only hold together enough to be watchable due to their villains who are honestly maligned tragic heroes in their own right.
Old 11-11-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I liked it but it was too long for sure and there weren't many laughs, which is probably better than trying to force stuff. I was thankful there was no post-credits scene as I made the mistake of bringing my kids and it was time to go.
Old 11-11-22, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

This is Namor's movie, period. He was great the movie itself, It was OK. Not as good as the first and really should have just called it Wakanda since BP is hardly in it.
Old 11-11-22, 08:28 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

The Good

Talokan and (almost) everything Namor.

“The Colonizer in chains, now I’ve seen everything.” 🤣

M’Baku (Winston Duke) chewing up every scene he was in. Especially the end at the challenge.

The surprise cameo by Michael B. Jordan. I was not expecting that, but it worked.

The Bad

Shuri as the BP.

The plot… if you could call it that.

The lack of a big action sequence that made sense… and on the water no less. I didn’t think anything could worse that King Kong having to fight Godzilla on the open sea.

The Ugly

Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) was married to Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfus). Seriously?

Ri Ri William’s montage of building her suit from raw metal when you know she had Shuri’s tech to help her… and what was up with the Vibranium Maiden-Predators?!

Namor’s nose bone.

Final Thought

​​​I can’t say I was really entertained, but I wasn’t disappointed either. It’s not “Dark World” bad, but near the bottom of the MCU pile for me. I voted 3-stars.
Old 11-11-22, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I liked it but it was too long for sure and there weren't many laughs, which is probably better than trying to force stuff. I was thankful there was no post-credits scene as I made the mistake of bringing my kids and it was time to go.
There was a mid credits scene. Did you miss that?

We loved it though. The biggest cheers were the logo for Chadwick, the first appearance of the “iron man” suit, the whole Black Panther sequence, and definitely the biggest was Michael B Jordan showing up.
Old 11-12-22, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Just got back from seeing it tonight. It's a beautiful tribute to Chadwick Boseman with lots of loving homages to his legacy. However, the movie is extremely long and you feel the running time. The first two hours are kind of a slog to get through. "Black Panther" doesn't appear until very late in the movie. I didn't think Ross added anything to this movie. And him being the ex of Valentina I mean C'mon now. That's just contrived writing by Coogler.

I thought the action sequence in the sea was pretty cool, but a lot of Wakandans seemed to perish and they didn't acknowledge the lives lost in that battle. I personally didn't really like how the conflict with Namor and the Blue people was resolved or was it resolved? It just didn't really feel earned. . Letitia Wright and Angela Bassett were both fantastic. I thought Wright's acting was pretty solid, but I didn't really like her iteration of Black Panther. If you're a fan of the first movie, I say go ahead and see it. But I don't think it's some kind of masterpiece. I'll give it a B-.

The mid-credits scene kind of gives them an out with Shuri as BP should they do a time jump.

I don't think I will be re-watching this in the theater again. It just doesn't feel like it has the replay value.
Old 11-12-22, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

It wasn’t great, was it? I liked some things. Winston Duke is fabulous again. Lupita Nyongo wasn’t in it enough, but she was great and absolutely radiant, just stunningly beautiful. I almost teared up when they showed the all-Chadwick Marvel logo without any fanfare. Thought Naymor was a good character and glad he wasn’t killed off.
But man it was way too long. Not very interesting. Didn’t care about the King’s Guard stories at all. And sorry but Letitia Wright was pretty terrible and almost entirely without charisma. I know she was dealing with a lot of grief, but I just didn’t enjoy spending time with her. She was, in my opinion, by far the least-interesting MCU protagonist. Don’t need a sequel to this movie.
Old 11-12-22, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Also since when was getting run through the midriff with a spear and impaled a survivable injury, let alone something you can just walk away from without even a bandage? It was certainly a more significant stab wound than the one that killed Killmonger.

Also Naymor had a pretty huge standing army for a country that has never seen a foreigner, let alone an invader. Were they always at the ready in case a human showed up at the bottom of the ocean with a Vibranium detector machine?
Old 11-12-22, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Also since when was getting run through the midriff with a spear and impaled a survivable injury, let alone something you can just walk away from without even a bandage? It was certainly a more significant stab wound than the one that killed Killmonger.

Also Naymor had a pretty huge standing army for a country that has never seen a foreigner, let alone an invader. Were they always at the ready in case a human showed up at the bottom of the ocean with a Vibranium detector machine?
Namor saw the cruelty of man when he saw the slavery. He knew what would happen one day.
The following users liked this post:
csant (11-12-22)
Old 11-12-22, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

Haven't seen this so don't know how it's been changed from the comics. Namor is king of Atlantis. He has rivals. These other Atlanteans who want to overthrow him have their own armies. There's this guy called Attuma who keeps attacking Atlantis with his army. Attuma also wants to invade and rule the surface.
Namor is fully aware of the surface world and doesn't trust it.
Old 11-12-22, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rw2516
Haven't seen this so don't know how it's been changed from the comics. Namor is king of Atlantis. He has rivals. These other Atlanteans who want to overthrow him have their own armies. There's this guy called Attuma who keeps attacking Atlantis with his army. Attuma also wants to invade and rule the surface.
Namor is fully aware of the surface world and doesn't trust it.
Yeah. This Namor is Mayan and Attuma is his right hand man/main muscle.
Old 11-12-22, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yeah. This Namor is Mayan and Attuma is his right hand man/main muscle.
That's pretty different. In the comics his father is human, a sea captain named McKenzie, his mother Atlantean. That's why he's white instead of blue and can breathe out of water. He can live outside water but has to jump back in every so often or he loses his super strength.
Did they give him the ankle wings so he can fly?
In the comics his main squeeze is Lady Dorma. One of his military commanders, Warlord Krang, is also in love with Dorma and always plots against him.
Old 11-12-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie version his mother was mayan and was given a drink that turn them blue and it mutated her baby into Namor.
Old 11-12-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
That's pretty different. In the comics his father is human, a sea captain named McKenzie, his mother Atlantean. That's why he's white instead of blue and can breathe out of water. He can live outside water but has to jump back in every so often or he loses his super strength.
Did they give him the ankle wings so he can fly?
In the comics his main squeeze is Lady Dorma. One of his military commanders, Warlord Krang, is also in love with Dorma and always plots against him.
Yes, he can fly with the wings on his feet. His abilities are pretty much the same. He refers to himself as a mutant, but his origin story is completely different.
Old 11-12-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Really enjoyed this. Didn’t notice the runtime at all because I love this world and these characters. I’m actually surprised to hear how long it was - I didn’t even check my watch.

The best thing they did was not replace Boseman - from the opening frames you could feel his presence and it added a lot of depth to the film.

All of the cast is great, I liked that Shuri wasn’t a 1-to-1 replacement of the Black Panther (really interesting to see the Killmonger influence on her) and I’m looking forward to Ironheart now too! Also glad they didn’t kill Namor and flat-out said he was a mutant. Stoked for the X-Men to join this universe.

Last edited by Draven; 11-12-22 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-12-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I liked it quite a bit. Maybe a tad long I agree but it was overall pretty good.

I don’t think they needed to kill Queen Ramonda. There was enough of an emotional punch to the film already with T’Challa’s death and in some ways having another character killed off kind of cheapened that loss to me.

Definitely more of a Wakanda movie which is fine. I think Shuri could have taken up the Black Panther mantle a little sooner, but I get that it wasn’t something she took lightly and the film was building to it.

The character of Iron Heart is cool but I feel like we need more information about her. How does she just suddenly have Stark tech to build a proto suit and essentially perfect that when she gets to Wakanda?

The tributes to Boseman were moving and well done. I really need to rewatch the first movie again as it’s been a long time since I’ve watched it.
Old 11-12-22, 07:27 PM
Cool New Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What happened? I can see YouTube videos now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.