Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Man Called Otto (2022, D: Forster) S: Tom Hanks

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Man Called Otto (2022, D: Forster) S: Tom Hanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: A Man Called Otto (2022, D: Forster) S: Tom Hanks

Following how Sony has done it historically, it should be on Netflix around Memorial Day.
Old 02-11-23, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Even Chet Haze gets a song on the soundtrack for this. About four other songs are by Rita Wilson.
Old 03-01-23, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This really is a family affair. Tom Hanks stars in it and his son with Rita Wilson, the good one, plays the Young Otto.

Hanks and Wilson also produced the film. And someone said they let the train wreck son have a song in this too.

And it performed well at the box office despite middling reviews.

That Blu-Ray case is hilarious with all the blurbs of critical acclaim splattered across it.
Old 03-01-23, 09:24 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I still say just watch the original.
The following users liked this post:
Coral (03-01-23)
Old 03-01-23, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

We watched this yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Not knowing much about it, was surprised at the main plot device that kind of drove his growth. Top tier Hanks? Nope. But still enjoyable for what it is.
Old 03-05-23, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I still say just watch the original.
Ugh. So agree. Watched this tonight and I thought it was absolutely terrible. Most of the characters and acting were so over the top.
Old 03-12-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This felt like ChatGPT was told to generate a screenplay with the top 15 movie cliches mixed in.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-12-23 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-03-23, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I liked it

Maybe it is just me but I also loved the Terminal too.

Maybe have a Kleenex box ready.

The cat was cute and I liked his neighbors except the gun who was run walking or whatever he was doing.

I hated all or most of the songs and then found out Rita Wilson was involved ouch.
Old 04-23-23, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It premieres on Netflix streaming May 5, 2023
Old 05-29-23, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Can't go wrong with Hanks, but yeah...looks predictable, but still entertaining enough to watch. Nothing mind blowing here...unless he ends up being a ghost, retired CIA Agent with abilities, or the neighborhood is Hell or some shit.
Finally saw this. It let me know early on it was going to be a "Magical Negro" film, not Tom Hanks first "MN" film BTW..... So I accepted that and still managed to enjoy it and get choked up in parts. As mentioned it was predictable...not mind blowing. I think part of the appeal though was seeing the world's favorite nice guy, Tom Hanks, in an Asshole role.
Old 05-29-23, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Far from just the grumpy old man film I thought it would be.. but once the disclaimer came up at the beginning, I understood what to expect. Never read the book or saw the original film to compare.
Old 05-29-23, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Finally saw this. It let me know early on it was going to be a "Magical Negro" film, not Tom Hanks first "MN" film BTW..... So I accepted that and still managed to enjoy it and get choked up in parts. As mentioned it was predictable...not mind blowing. I think part of the appeal though was seeing the world's favorite nice guy, Tom Hanks, in an Asshole role.
Huh?
Old 05-29-23, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A grumpy old man but he never was a racist in the movie which was a good thing.
Old 05-30-23, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Huh?
I included a link with an explanation. Yes, this was a "Magical Negro" film. Still enjoyed it, but it is what it is...
Old 05-30-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I included a link with an explanation. Yes, this was a "Magical Negro" film. Still enjoyed it, but it is what it is...
I appreciate the link, but I am familiar with the expression.

This is not a Magical Negro film. First, there was no magical black person in the film. And even if you take liberties with what is "magic" and expand "negro" to include any non-white character, nothing like that happened in the plot.

What happened in the movie was that Otto felt useless and alone and wanted to die. New neighbors gave him a purpose because THEY repeatedly needed HIS help. Slowly Otto realized that he could be of use to other people, and did not have to feel alone.

Otto was depressed and suicidal. Nobody waved a magic wand and fixed him. There was no plot device that changed him. The story was a step-by-step exercise in practical therapy with Otto helping himself by helping others.

Basically you are saying any movie where a white character comes out better in the end because they interacted with minorities is a MN film, and that ain't so. For one thing, in an MN film, the magic negro only exists to improve the life of the white protagonist, and that is absolutely not the case with Otto, as all the "magical negroes" in the film benefit greatly from Otto's involvement in their lives.
Old 05-30-23, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I appreciate the link, but I am familiar with the expression.

This is not a Magical Negro film.
Sorry, it is. Latine Family, the wife Marisol in particular, shows him how to open up and live again. Not sure what film you saw...

First, there was no magical black person in the film. And even if you take liberties with what is "magic" and expand "negro" to include any non-white character, nothing like that happened in the plot.
Though there were Black folks in this film, the "MN" role was again, the wife Marisol. And yes, when you use "people of color" like this to make a white character better it falls under the "MN" trope. It's like killing a Female character so a male character can advance in his arc. It's a lazy writing thing.

What happened in the movie was that Otto felt useless and alone and wanted to die. New neighbors gave him a purpose because THEY repeatedly needed HIS help. Slowly Otto realized that he could be of use to other people, and did not have to feel alone.
Marisol and her family showed him the way...

Otto was depressed and suicidal. Nobody waved a magic wand and fixed him. There was no plot device that changed him. The story was a step-by-step exercise in practical therapy with Otto helping himself by helping others.

Again..Marisol and her family showed him the way... And it doesn't have to be literal "magic".

Originally Posted by Wiki
The Magical Negro stereotype serves as a plot device to help the white protagonist get out of trouble, typically through helping the white character recognize his own faults and overcome them[6] and teaching him to be a better person.[15] Although the character may have magical powers, the "magic is ostensibly directed toward helping and enlightening a white male character"
Basically you are saying any movie where a white character comes out better in the end because they interacted with minorities is a MN film,
Uhm..Yes. If you truly understood the expression "Magical Negro" and why it's used, you'd easily see it in this film.

Basically you are saying any movie where a white character comes out better in the end because they interacted with minorities is a MN film,and that ain't so. For one thing, in an MN film, the magic negro only exists to improve the life of the white protagonist, and that is absolutely not the case with Otto, as all the "magical negroes" in the film benefit greatly from Otto's involvement in their lives.
They don't have to die or be in trouble to help the character change. But they are only there to make Otto realize he's a miserable asshole due to trauma. Otherwise Otto never learns to do better.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-30-23 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Basically you are saying any movie where a white character comes out better in the end because they interacted with minorities is a MN film,
​​​​​​​Uhm..Yes. If you truly understood the expression "Magical Negro" and why it's used, you'd easily see it in this film.
That's really fucking reductive, and as soon as you take the "magic" and the "negro" out of the equation, you're just describing every movie where a white character changes for the better.

Is "Top Gun; Maverick" a MN film because it is through his interactions with the other characters in the film that Maverick comes out being a better person at the end?

Can "As Good As It Gets" be a MN film because it is a woman and a gay guy that cure Melvin?
Old 05-30-23, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's really fucking reductive, and as soon as you take the "magic" and the "negro" out of the equation, you're just describing every movie where a white character changes for the better.
Yeah, it would seem that way. I guess the opposite side of the coin is when it's the streetwise white person who comes in, sits backwards on their chair, and teaches "rough" people of color(Blacks, Latine, Asians, etc) how to be better white people so they fit into white society?

Is "Top Gun; Maverick" a MN film because it is through his interactions with the other characters in the film that Maverick comes out being a better person at the end?
I feel like you're giving me shit for this, but all you have to do is read the Wiki or Google the phrase for clarity... even if you don't agree. Again, you say you understand the expression but your posts say otherwise. And that's ok. But don't be mad at me. I didn't invent the expression nor did I invent the age old "Magical Negro" trope.

As far as Maverick, he mostly interacted with white characters. Well, he yelled at another Pilot who was Black but that Pilot didn't figure into anything more than that scene so I would say NO.

Can "As Good As It Gets" be a MN film because it is a woman and a gay guy that cure Melvin?
You left out the Black Guy (Cuba Gooding Jr.) or did you mean he was the Gay guy? There were 2 it seems. Anyway, all three, the Woman, the Black, and the Gay contributed to the white man realizing he needed to be a better man AND...MUCH LIKE OTTO...he realized it via HELPING THEM.... so frankly, YES. Come to think of it, that's a TROPE as well...White guy always has what others (often minorities or women) need and others always being IN need...

Again...I enjoyed A Man Called Otto and I've enjoyed many other similar films with the "Magical Negro" trope in play. The trope is not necessarily a bad thing, just kinda tropey.

A Short list of Tom Hanks Films using this Trope:
-The Green Mile
-Forest Gump
-A Man Called Otto

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-30-23 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 05:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I don’t even want to say it, but that term above sounds so morally reprehensible.
Old 05-30-23, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forrest Gump !?!?

Okay, now I know you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Good luck selling your pillows on TV.
Old 05-31-23, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I don’t even want to say it, but that term above sounds so morally reprehensible.
Take it up with Spike Lee.
Old 05-31-23, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Based on Spike Lee's definition of the term he coined, neither Forrest Gump nor A Man Called Otto remotely fit under that trope. The Green Mile 100% does.

Yeah, it would seem that way. I guess the opposite side of the coin is when it's the streetwise white person who comes in, sits backwards on their chair, and teaches "rough" people of color(Blacks, Latine, Asians, etc) how to be better white people so they fit into white society?
White Savior trope.

Also all these trope names are dumb, it's another label for cliche and no matter what you file it under - this was a cliche ass "surrogate family" movie.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-31-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-31-23, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Based on Spike Lee's definition of the term he coined, neither Forrest Gump nor A Man Called Otto remotely fit under that trope. The Green Mile 100% does.
Lee coined the term but the trope goes way back. Also, if you ONLY use the MN definition based on Lee's comment and say that it is a "Literal Magical Black Person" then sure. However, others have expanded on the concept and Forrest Gump and A Man Called Otto both use this trope.

White Savior trope.
Yes

Also all these trope names are dumb, it's another label for cliche and no matter what you file it under - this was a cliche ass "surrogate family" movie.
Ok, if you say so. This films is Tropey as Fuck but still enjoyable.
Old 05-31-23, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Forrest Gump !?!?

Okay, now I know you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Good luck selling your pillows on TV.
Or..you can't get past a narrow definition of a phrase that has more to it than just "Magic" and "Negroes"? Anyway, Google "Magical Negro and Forrest Gump". You can stay mad, but you'll get lots of hits supporting the fact the film has this trope.

And DVDTALKERS get a discount on my Pillows so hit me up if you want to order.
Old 05-31-23, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could this discussion be confused with the white savior theme that ticks some people off?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.