Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla Minus One (2023) Update: Noonan is prepared! (+ No Home Video Release Yet)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla Minus One (2023) Update: Noonan is prepared! (+ No Home Video Release Yet)

Old 12-04-23, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
re: Godzilla Minus One (2023) Update: Noonan is prepared! (+ No Home Video Release Yet)

It can still be nominated for other categories, and if it is enough of a breakthrough it might.
Old 12-04-23, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
re: Godzilla Minus One (2023) Update: Noonan is prepared! (+ No Home Video Release Yet)

I guess I will be the voice of minor dissent here. Big Godzilla fan here - and while I enjoyed the sequences with everyone's favorite giant creature I just felt the 'human drama' elements were a bit overplayed, to the point of being maudlin.

My own opinion was it could had a 90-95 minute runtime and still told the same story without losing anything. Again - just my opinion and not looking to begin a great debate.

On the plus side: terrific score.
Old 12-04-23, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Are there hours of meetings like Shin?
Old 12-04-23, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 1,088 Likes on 634 Posts

Thought this was great. Godzilla as national and personal PTSD really works and reminded me of anti-war films I've watched recently. You even feel for the never-onscreen sailors that meet their end as Godzilla climbs their ship and then blows it up
Old 12-04-23, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw it on Saturday it's no doubt the best Godzilla flick I seen. I also thought the human drama was very good had me in tears at the end. Can't wait for the blu-ray. One question I want to know
Spoiler:
what was that growing at Norika's neck at the hospital?

Old 12-04-23, 07:38 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 547 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
One question I want to know
Spoiler:
what was that growing at Norika's neck at the hospital?
Spoiler:
I'm guessing it's some type of radiation sickness?
Old 12-05-23, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 991 Likes on 692 Posts

Wow. Just wow. This movie was just incredible top to bottom.

So I'm not the biggest Godzilla fan. Watched some Toho films when I was a kid. But don't know anything about the lore. Godzilla 2000 definitely set me back as a fan. Then the modern monsterverse got me back on the Kaiju bandwagon. Really enjoyed all of those. So maybe I"m a new fan? Eitherway this movie was really incredible. It really set itself apart by not just being a great Godzilla film but my top film of 2023 so far. Granted my movie going habits are a lot more mainstream when it comes to watching in the theaters. I usually catch Oscar bait movies once they are announced. So take that with a grain of salt. But I still thought it was a better movie than Oppenheimer. And I really enjoyed Oppenheimer.

The acting was great. The story was incredible. It's such an obvious thing but setting it in immediate post WWII Japan was the perfect setting. It really made the film. It was a really odd case in that I was not hurting whenever Godzilla wasn't on screen. In fact I found the human stories to be even more intriguing than the Godzilla plot. The performances were so mesmerizing I really legit forgot I was watching a Godzilla film at several parts. Each of the characters were really well fleshed out and they spent the perfect amount of writing on each one. Sure at the end it get's pretty predictable but that doesn't detract from how satisfying it was. The highlight for me was whenever
Spoiler:
the classic G theme kicked in in all it's retro glory was spectacular.
The whole soundtrack is a win. Appropriately brooding and somber when it needs to be and triumphant at the perfect moments. Definitely give it a spin with headphones as I'm doing right now. The pacing was pitch perfect. They fit a lot of story in a tight 2 hours. It let moments breathe but never felt like it bogged down. Sure the ending
Spoiler:
was a little saccharin for most modern tastes. But I felt like the continuous theme of willing oneself to live after tragedy, how it takes friends, family, self, and even enemies to fight to live and survive made the ending an earned one. The only thing I really could have done without was the teasers for the sequel. I didn't really have to see whatever disease the girl had or see Godzilla's head partially regenerate. It felt tacked on and should have been left on the cutting room floor.

I'm really hoping this gets some Oscar attention. I could see this getting a BP nod. I guess Japan's film for foreign film is already a lock? That's unfortunate. This movie really deserves a lot more attention than it's probably going to get. Maybe if Netflix picks it up it will get more awards attention?
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,023 Likes on 719 Posts

I liked this movie as much as everyone else, but there is 0% chance this gets any Oscar recognition.
Old 12-05-23, 09:09 AM

Received 4,695 Likes on 3,181 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Anyone know if the release has been extended? Last I heard it was ending this week already. That would be a shame.
Extended to December 14.
The Cow (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

A film made with true heart, all around. I honestly appreciated/enjoyed this more than "Oppenheimer" (the American take on this subject matter)
Old 12-05-23, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

I went to see this at a Bronx multiplex, only the second time I’ve seen a theatrical release in a foreign language with English subs at a Bronx theater. The last time was 23 years ago, CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON at this same theater. I’m surprised at how wide a release this got. SHIN GODZILLA got a limited release in 2016, although I did manage to see it at two different theaters in Manhattan, one an AMC multiplex. But GODZILLA MINUS ONE is playing everywhere!

Also, it’s apparently being handled by Toho International and not one of the major U.S. distributors. I wonder how the pattern of release would have been different otherwise. I’m intrigued by the notion that Toho finally did something right in the U.S., possibly for the first time since its glory days in achieving some renown in the U.S. in the 1950s and ‘60s.

Oh, it’s a good movie, too. And quite a recreation of immediate postwar Japan. I did cringe though when G attacked the Ginza neighborhood. Same in SHIN GODZILLA when they announced the neighborhoods G was attacking. I’ve visited those places and I don’t want to see them destroyed! It didn’t bother me when it was an actor in a rubber suit walking around Toho’s miniature city sets in the Showa and Heisei Godzilla movies. The scenes in this one look much more realistic!

The film also displays a surprisingly thoughtful and introspective take on the war. Quite a change from the cartoonish nationalism of GODZILLA VS. KINGGHIDORAH (1991).

This was actually the second Japanese film with English subtitles I’ve seen in a theater in the past week. Last week it was Hayao Miyazaki’s THE BOY AND THE HERON, which was not nearly as satisfying as GODZILLA MINUS ONE and I suspect won’t do anywhere near as well in the U.S.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-05-23 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-05-23, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couple other points:

I purposely waited until this week because last week it wasn't showing in any premium theaters (Now I'm sad I missed out on that sweet poster). This week it has one showing in IMAX (or LieMAX anyways) a day. So I was able to see it on at least a little bit of a better presentation.

I thought the SFX were a little bit of a mixed bag. G looked great when he was in the water and looked pretty good when he was on land. But his movement was very odd. Stilted sometimes. Not sure if this was purposeful as an homage to the rubber suit days but sometimes he looked really odd. It wasn't all the time. I thought his movement in the monsterverse movies was a lot better. But I do praise them for having the balls to have him attack in broad daylight instead of at night like every other monster movie to hide any bad CGI.
Old 12-06-23, 11:48 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 547 Likes on 480 Posts

#GodzillaMinusOne isn’t going anywhere! In fact, the film will be playing on EVEN MORE North American screens this coming weekend—increasing to over 2,500 locations in the US & Canada starting December 8.
As long as people are attending, showtimes will continue. So get your tickets and spread the word! GODZILLA MINUS ONE is (still) NOW PLAYING NATIONWIDE: https://tickets.godzilla.com/

The following 3 users liked this post by WTK:
IBJoel (12-07-23), Kurt D (12-08-23), tanman (12-08-23)
Old 12-07-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 440 Likes on 320 Posts

I didn't think there would be so many movies I'd want to see in theaters before the end of the year. Seeing this movie get so many good reviews and high praise from audiences I think I'd like to go see it. I think its so cool its playing Nationwide in America. My exposure to Godzilla movies is pretty limited outside of just seeing the Roland Emmerich movie in 1998.
IBJoel (12-07-23)
Old 12-07-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
G looked great when he was in the water and looked pretty good when he was on land. But his movement was very odd. Stilted sometimes. Not sure if this was purposeful as an homage to the rubber suit days but sometimes he looked really odd. It wasn't all the time.
I know what you're talking about. His movement while walking was almost robotic.

Why?

My bet is because at that size a creature would have to work exceptionally hard to defy gravity (that much mass would be hard to move off the ground, so walking would become difficult). That's something my stepmother, a PHD, pointed out when I was watching a Gozilla movie on TV back in the early 80's. "Something that big could barely move. That much mass has to fight gravity and would take a lot more effort."

So it looks to me like they were trying to show that unless he was motivated to move faster, a relatively calm Godzilla would move fairly slowly, with each step taking a fair amount of effort.

While more accurate in how a large creature would move, it's less entertaining than what they got with a guy in a suit shot at high speed and played back at regular speed.

Having said all that, I thought this was a great Godzilla movie, and a very good movie, overall. And the effects looked amazing! $15 Million for this VS $200 Million for most Hollywood SFX filled movies. This looked better.
Old 12-07-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I know what you're talking about. His movement while walking was almost robotic.

Why?

My bet is because at that size a creature would have to work exceptionally hard to defy gravity (that much mass would be hard to move off the ground, so walking would become difficult). That's something my stepmother, a PHD, pointed out when I was watching a Gozilla movie on TV back in the early 80's. "Something that big could barely move. That much mass has to fight gravity and would take a lot more effort."
Yes, the "square-cube law" is one of the reasons giant animals like this aren't feasible in real life. If you simply scale up a regular animal, it's mass grows proportional to the cube of the scale, while it's muscle strength only increases proportional to the square of the scale. So for a scaling factor of 10, you would be 100 times stronger but you would weigh 1000 times more. The solution is to eat some nuclear weapons to increase your strength.
Old 12-07-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Toho was always great at giving scale and a feeling of immense weight to Giant Creatures when they would have them move in Slow Motion. I never liked scenes where Monster were in real time or even sped up as much as the slo mo scenes. I think the brain tries to reconcile the movements of something that big.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-07-23 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-07-23, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,688 Posts

I want to see this at least one more time, but I don’t want to do just a standard screening. Already saw it in IMAX, so I’m thinking about going for 4DX. I saw MI:7 in 4DX in the summer and it was definitely a unique experience. The chair moves with every action set piece.

It’s $24, so it’s a little pricey. It’s going to be crazy with a Godzilla movie.
Old 12-07-23, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 868 Posts

Had to cancel another ticket today . . . Grr. Looks like I will miss IMAX, but it will still be showing so I can try to catch it.
Old 12-07-23, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Had to cancel another ticket today . . . Grr. Looks like I will miss IMAX, but it will still be showing so I can try to catch it.
Bummer. Still not feeling good? You have until the 14th before it leaves theaters. May not get a premium screen, but you'll still see it on the big screen.
Abob Teff (12-17-23)
Old 12-07-23, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

So they have it on IMAX here, but only one showing a night at 9:20pm. Other theaters have it during multiple showings, but only one IMAX.

EDIT: I was wrong. That was just for that day. There are more showings Friday and Saturday.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-08-23 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-08-23, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's great. Here it's still playing but not in IMAX anymore. Oddly enough another Japanese import, The Boy and the Heron has taken over the IMAX screens.

I just emailed our only (somewhat) local IMAX theater asking them why they weren't playing Godzilla but instead were playing Elf and Polar Express. I'm doubtful anything will change but we'll see if I get a response. They were actually supposed to shut down several months ago since we lost the PGA Player's Championship.

Last edited by tanman; 12-08-23 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-08-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I saw this tonight and the theater was suppressively pack. Great movie and the human story could've been a stand along movie and would've been great too. I'm super curious where they go next.
Hubbub (12-09-23)
Old 12-09-23, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Saw it last night as well, loved it.
Old 12-09-23, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

Gonna see this tomorrow afternoon on IMAX. Gonna be my first ever IMAX screening too.
IBJoel (12-11-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.