Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Old 06-15-24, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,099 Likes on 767 Posts
re: Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Maybe I should have phrased it "events" leading up to the end...beyond comprehension and as Giantrobo stated it would be picked apart to death if some other movie. But this one it is ok.

Others are pointing them out for me. Thanks!
You can pick them apart all you want. The ending you suggested still flies directly in the face of what the movie's about. That's my point.

Last edited by rocket1312; 06-15-24 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-15-24, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah, people are so in love with this film they are letting what would be heavily criticized in other films slide.

Yeah, but that's hardly unique.

I mean, Christ, I love The Wrath of Khan, but there's a ton of downright terrible science in it (namely, everything about the Genesis Project and device) that many plot points hinge upon. Even at eight years old I knew that you couldn't just force evolution of an entire ecosystem like the movie does, or just pull an insta-planet out of your ass with a big bomb.

Still, I'm willing to overlook that whoever wrote the movie knew absolutely nothing about evolutionary biology or astrophysics because the Kirk vs Khan stuff is just so fucking cracking.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (06-18-24)
Old 06-15-24, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, but that's hardly unique.

I mean, Christ, I love The Wrath of Khan, but there's a ton of downright terrible science in it (namely, everything about the Genesis Project and device) that many plot points hinge upon. Even at eight years old I knew that you couldn't just force evolution of an entire ecosystem like the movie does, or just pull an insta-planet out of your ass with a big bomb.

Still, I'm willing to overlook that whoever wrote the movie knew absolutely nothing about evolutionary biology or astrophysics because the Kirk vs Khan stuff is just so fucking cracking.

Search for Spock addresses the faux science of part 2 with regards to what you posted -- it's basically the film's plot and aftermath to the shit science you mentioned.
milo bloom (06-15-24)
Old 06-16-24, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 482 Likes on 344 Posts

I finally watched it on Vudu and I must says it's cool to see a real Godzilla movie. The only Godzilla movie I've ever seen is the 1998 movie. For anyone who has Netflix currently is the B&W version streaming on it?
Old 06-16-24, 02:18 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 580 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I finally watched it on Vudu and I must says it's cool to see a real Godzilla movie. The only Godzilla movie I've ever seen is the 1998 movie. For anyone who has Netflix currently is the B&W version streaming on it?
https://godzilla.com/blogs/news/godz...ental-purchase
Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color will be available to stream on Netflix later this summer.
Bluelitespecial (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Search for Spock addresses the faux science of part 2 with regards to what you posted -- it's basically the film's plot and aftermath to the shit science you mentioned.
It doesn't address it as much as it adds a bunch of new woo-woo into the mix.

Old 06-16-24, 06:20 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
lol, of course you're all entitled to your opinion, but come on guys, lighten up a little. If it's, one thing us humans share globally when it comes to monster movies it's the use of the uber cheese from the characters that always tags along with it...even when the flick is shot in a raw doc style like minus one.
Minus One looks nothing like a documentary. The cinematography, whether in color or b/w, is absolutely gorgeous. It’s a total bonus to have it play out like the Godzilla’s of old, but look like the movies of today. It won an Oscar for f/x for a reason. Because it all works in wonderful unison to make a gorgeous picture, visually. Emotionally raw, maybe, but certainly not shot raw doc style.
RocShemp (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched this last night again and I am surprised that some folks think Koichi was just a whiner. Must be a cultural or race thing, because he obviously had PTSD. I guess it'd be different (and easier to empathize with) if it were a white American vet that had PTSD - he wouldn't be a whiner, just a guy trying to get by.

The movie fucking rocks. Watched it with folks that hadn't seen it yet and I could hear everyone collectively gasp when G nuked Tokyo. That scene is one for the ages.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-16-24 at 08:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
Brian T (06-18-24), tanman (06-18-24)
Old 06-16-24, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,917 Likes on 2,795 Posts

I’m not going to tell someone their opinion is wrong. All that does is discourage discussions and make people angry. But I think for this movie and for some people, some drama elements that are used in Asian movies may not translate well for some people. And for some, they might feel differently for what Godzilla Minus One tried to show in its portrayal of PTSD, emotional elements and guilt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with some movie elements not resonating with a minority.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
Brian T (06-18-24), IBJoel (06-17-24), RocShemp (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Minus One looks nothing like a documentary. The cinematography, whether in color or b/w, is absolutely gorgeous. It’s a total bonus to have it play out like the Godzilla’s of old, but look like the movies of today. It won an Oscar for f/x for a reason. Because it all works in wonderful unison to make a gorgeous picture, visually. Emotionally raw, maybe, but certainly not shot raw doc style.
Easy there Scott. It has a nice documentary-like vibe for me.
Old 06-17-24, 06:26 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 850 Posts

^ ok, but it doesn't look like guerilla style docu shooting at all.
Old 06-17-24, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Watched this last night again and I am surprised that some folks think Koichi was just a whiner. Must be a cultural or race thing, because he obviously had PTSD. I guess it'd be different (and easier to empathize with) if it were a white American vet that had PTSD - he wouldn't be a whiner, just a guy trying to get by.

The movie fucking rocks. Watched it with folks that hadn't seen it yet and I could hear everyone collectively gasp when G nuked Tokyo. That scene is one for the ages.

Seriously???? Then he would have been a fucking whiney white dude...

Old 06-17-24, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I’m not going to tell someone their opinion is wrong. All that does is discourage discussions and make people angry. But I think for this movie and for some people, some drama elements that are used in Asian movies may not translate well for some people. And for some, they might feel differently for what Godzilla Minus One tried to show in its portrayal of PTSD, emotional elements and guilt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with some movie elements not resonating with a minority.

I will agree with that as to me IMHO they always seem to over dramatize the acting or situations. The funeral scene in The Host comes to mind as an example.
Old 06-17-24, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
^ ok, but it doesn't look like guerilla style docu shooting at all.
It does to me??
OldBoy (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
It does to me??
I think the issue is that that style is more like Cloverfield with handheld cameras. This movie had many shots that would be impossible for a documentary crew to get that looked much more like traditional film scenes.

As for the ending - I took it as "this guy has had a pretty rough fucking life up to this point - let's give him a goddamn win...and then pull the rug out just a little bit too".
B5Erik (06-17-24)
Old 06-18-24, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

What exactly do you mean not resonating with a minority...

j/k just trying to lighten the mood in here.
Old 06-18-24, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously???? Then he would have been a fucking whiney white dude...

IBJoel (06-19-24)
Old 06-18-24, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah keep playing that subtle race shit you keep dancing around.
Old 06-18-24, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 709 Likes on 523 Posts

I will agree with that as to me IMHO they always seem to over dramatize the acting or situations. The funeral scene in The Host comes to mind as an example.
If you ever get to attend a Korean funeral, you’ll realize they weren’t really over-dramatizing it much, so again it comes down to aspects not translating to ‘foreign’ audiences that actually do reflect how the domestic audiences live their traditions. Some (many?) Koreans just seem culturally predisposed to go all-in with their grief, to an uncomfortable degree in some cases (look up Korean shamans to see how nutty it can get). It almost seems performative, and probably is to a degree, but it’s a thing. Koreans sometimes identify – both in seriousness and sometimes half-jokingly, in my experience – as a victim culture, and historically they have some truly tragic reasons for feeling that way, and it seems to continue to manifest itself within certain traditions and situations, which are then reflected generally accurately across countless Korean films and tv shows, but plays as rather ‘extreme’ or overly melodramatic to those outside the culture. I’d imagine a lot of Japanese traditions and attitudes that don’t jibe with us in the west, or seem like overacting or overemphasis, have deep roots with Japanese audiences and are simply taken for granted by them.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-18-24 at 06:26 PM.
Why So Blu? (06-19-24)
Old 06-18-24, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Koichi was a failed kamikaze pilot during WWII. A very real tragic time in history to live in. He lost his family, his home and his honor. How could any emotional reaction to that, especially to his closest friends, come off as whiny.
The following 3 users liked this post by tanman:
Brian T (06-19-24), Giantrobo (06-20-24), Why So Blu? (06-19-24)
Old 06-19-24, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Koichi was a failed kamikaze pilot during WWII. A very real tragic time in history to live in. He lost his family, his home and his honor. How could any emotional reaction to that, especially to his closest friends, come off as whiny.

Maybe overdramatic is a better term. Either way I didn't care for how the character was portrayed and it was a distraction FOR me. You guys love it and has a deeper meaning for you- got it. To me it was a Godzilla movie that was overhyped and just Ok based on my opinion that is shared by some.

BUT some of the
insinuations made based on my comments are out of fucking line...

You can back to your about it.

I am done. Thanks,
Old 06-19-24, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

Maybe overdramatic is a better term. Either way I didn't care for how the character was portrayed and it was a distraction FOR me. You guys love it and has a deeper meaning for you- got it. To me it was a Godzilla movie that was overhyped and just Ok based on my opinion that is shared by some.

BUT some of the
insinuations made based on my comments are out of fucking line...

You can back to your about it.

I am done. Thanks,
I understand what you mean. For me, it works in this film and I didn't find it distracting. But the style of acting pops up in other Asian genre films and I don't always care for it. There have definitely been movies I've watched where I wasn't sure if it was being satirical or serious. I felt the same way at the beginning of that scene in The Host, before it becomes more apparent that it's supposed to be funny.

Brian T would probably know better, but if I had to guess, it's that there is more an understanding/embrace of artifice in Asian dramatic arts, so the line between comedy and drama is frequently blurred (at least to us Westerners unfamiliar with it), whereas Western drama aims for greater naturalism and for comedy either goes deadpan (which, thinking about it, might cause the same kind of confusion for Eastern audiences) or more exaggerated.
Old 06-19-24, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 709 Likes on 523 Posts

That’s a decent interpretation. If one doesn’t watch a lot of Asian cinema, then one is less likely to embrace those idiosyncrasies, which is fine, but suggesting they’re somehow wrong and then taking offence when people point out that they’re not wrong for the audiences for whom the films were primarily intended is a bit off. My personal tastes and expectations as a westerner are firmly put on the back burner whenever I watch anything that wasn’t made on this continent (with the exception, perhaps, of UK films). And yeah, Bong Joon-Ho was definitely playing the funeral scene for humour, but he didn’t have to exaggerate much. In fairness, K-funerals are largely very austere, quiet affairs, lasting anywhere up to a week (!), so the odd person coming in and being overwhelmed and wailing and thrashing on the floor isn’t necessarily the rule, but it’s hardly out of the ordinary. However, in a mass funeral like the one in THE HOST, the grieving behaviour depicted in the larger room would very much happen. The main family starting to brawl on the floor, however, was definitely meant to be funny, and got huge laughs at TIFF when it played there with a large number of Koreans in the audience who clearly got it along with the rest of us.

As for comedy, there’s an arena where I think the Asian (and most other regional) sensibilities simply don’t mesh with North American conceptions (or preconceptions) of the form. I’d wager most folks here would really struggle with straight-up comedy films from Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, or Mainland China, for example. I sure as hell do, and often find myself scrambling online to ‘figure out’ some context for a particularly elaborate or seemingly culturally-specific gag (and yes, many could argue that I shouldn’t have to do that, but I’d counter that these films were absolutely not made with me in mind, and don’t owe me the favour). I’ve seen moments of ‘universal’ humour in films from all of those countries, but then there are moments where I just shake my head at what passes for humour ‘over there’, and I have to accept that it played better to the locals, which doesn’t effect my rating of the film. Sometimes I even “get” the joke, but it’s just so dated or clumsy by my western standards that I can barely smirk. That said, I can say with reasonable confidence that Korean comedies, though still often filled with bits of localized humour, have adapted the various ‘devices’ of western comedy traditions much more successfully than any of their neighbours. Yeah, the localized bits aren’t gonna be for everyone, but that doesn’t make them bad or wrong.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-19-24 at 05:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brian T:
Ash Ketchum (07-10-24), Cellar Door (06-20-24), IBJoel (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

Yeah, I while certainly had my issues with aspects of GM1 Koichi and the way he was was not really one of them. Was the "tortured hero" role a little Tropey? Yes. But he still brought a perspective that I've not really seen before in terms of a Kamikaze Pilot with survivor's guilt.
Old 06-20-24, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I understand what you mean. For me, it works in this film and I didn't find it distracting. But the style of acting pops up in other Asian genre films and I don't always care for it. There have definitely been movies I've watched where I wasn't sure if it was being satirical or serious. I felt the same way at the beginning of that scene in The Host, before it becomes more apparent that it's supposed to be funny.

Brian T would probably know better, but if I had to guess, it's that there is more an understanding/embrace of artifice in Asian dramatic arts, so the line between comedy and drama is frequently blurred (at least to us Westerners unfamiliar with it), whereas Western drama aims for greater naturalism and for comedy either goes deadpan (which, thinking about it, might cause the same kind of confusion for Eastern audiences) or more exaggerated.
Yep. different acting styles, Cultural differences, etc. Hell, I remember noticing a lot of that when I first saw "Seven Samurai" when i was young.
IBJoel (06-20-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.