Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Old 06-04-24, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 768 Posts
re: Godzilla Minus One (2023, D: Yamazaki)

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I still haven't found the time to watch this on Netflix but my fear is that the "oh my god this was the best ever!!" hype is going to have me let down when I finally do.

I call this "The Ghostbusters 1984" affect.
It won't
Old 06-04-24, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 705 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
My thought was that

Noriko survived because she somehow got "infected" by some Godzilla cells, maybe through a cut when she was injured? It felt like a setup for something to be explored in a sequel.

This was my thought exactly, and I noted it in an earlier post this year. The way the shot is framed just doesnít feel like itís meant only to be some little tragic grace note or sad commentary about
Spoiler:
radiation poisoning or whatever

but more of a ďletís just park this hereĒ sci-fi angle for a potential sequel. If this director took on a sequel, Iím sure heíd find smart ways to expand on it without getting silly about it. (also revisit post #119 for his respectable sci-fi cv)

Originally Posted by Rival11
I said back when Edward's Godzilla was about to be released "This franchise needs to go back to Japan with a budget, they'll do it actual justice" - I was more than right. What was that, back in 2013 or so? Yes, Shin Godzilla was decent, but Minus one is just outstanding.
And when one considers that he made the movie on approximately half the budget of a single episode of certain Marvel TV shows, itís an even more impressive feat!

Last edited by Brian T; 06-04-24 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rival11 (06-05-24)
Old 06-04-24, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I still haven't found the time to watch this on Netflix but my fear is that the "oh my god this was the best ever!!" hype is going to have me let down when I finally do.

I can promise you this, the action scenes WILL blow you away.
Old 06-09-24, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Finally watched it on Netflix. What a great Godzilla film. I really liked the design of Godzilla. Had some variations of a few past 'zillas. More notably, Shin.
Old 06-11-24, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 726 Likes on 564 Posts

I was surprised that a co-worker I usually agree with regarding movies actually disliked this. In particular, he hated the main character and how "emotional" he was, despite understanding that it's a "cultural thing.". The dude had PTSD, survivors guilt, and a sense of failure to fulfill his duty. I think his displays of emotion were to be expected.

Anyhoo, on a much lighter note, here's the Honest Trailer.
​​​​​​

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-13-24 at 03:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
IBJoel (06-12-24), Rival11 (06-12-24)
Old 06-12-24, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 237 Posts

^ I share your co-workers thoughts on the main character as well. I felt it was just a little overdone and annoying. I was hoping he
Spoiler:
didn't eject at the end that would have made a better ending and then showed the telegram and had the hospital reunion without him. The eject seat was telegraphed.

This was fine. Overhyped? Sure, and the effects for damn good for the budget. Not something I will need to revisit.

Glad I got to see it on Netflix.
Old 06-12-24, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

The ending may have been telegraphed, but your suggestion would be in direct opposition to the central theme of the movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
IBJoel (06-12-24), RocShemp (06-13-24)
Old 06-12-24, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 470 Likes on 341 Posts

I have a $3 credit on Vudu so I'm hoping to watch this as a rental soon.
Old 06-12-24, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

This is a great anti-war film that is critical of the at-all-costs/to-the-death culture of Japan in WWII. Books by/about marines' experiences fighting on Japanese islands detail how the Japanese would charge the American troops with bayonets, swords, grenades, & bare hands when they felt the battle was lost. The hope was that they'd somehow thwart their enemies in a last-ditch suicide attack. This largely resulted in mass casualties for the Japanese forces. It also led to the introduction of kamikaze pilots, like the main character. This culture is further exemplified by the many officers who committed ritual suicide with their swords after they lost a battle.

The main character, Shikishima, is a man who just wants to live - in stark defiance of his nation's/government's express directives and expectations. He's emotional because he's in conflict with the cultural expectations but also because all of the mechanics are dead because he failed to act. Recall how his neighbor reacts when he comes home, blaming him for the death of her children, simply because he didn't crash his plane into a ship hundreds of miles away. It's the other soldiers, who have experienced the horrors of war, who have sympathy for him. He's been haunted by his wartime "failures" and the destruction Godzilla is now reaping, including killing Noriko, because he failed to act. Now he's ready to die and it's only the forgiveness from the sole surviving mechanic,Tachibana, that allows him to eject.

To me, that's a powerful message about the value of life and it being okay to survive.
The following 7 users liked this post by ytrez:
Abob Teff (06-14-24), Brian T (06-13-24), Cellar Door (06-12-24), DJariya (06-12-24), IBJoel (06-13-24), RocShemp (06-13-24), tanman (06-18-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-12-24, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

I'll say this: I loved the movie, but still feel people are blowing this thing a little too hard. So just ignore them and watch it on its own terms
Old 06-12-24, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

lol, of course you're all entitled to your opinion, but come on guys, lighten up a little. If it's, one thing us humans share globally when it comes to monster movies it's the use of the uber cheese from the characters that always tags along with it...even when the flick is shot in a raw doc style like minus one.
Old 06-13-24, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I'll say this: I loved the movie, but still feel people are blowing this thing a little too hard. So just ignore them and watch it on its own terms

Welp...watched last night and I agree with you 100% IBJoel. I definitely enjoyed it, I mean shit, the dramatic acting and focus on the humans alone was the best I've seen in a TOHO monster movie since G54. But still, it didn't blow me away. The rapturous praise is over the top IMHO but to each their own.

Pros:
-The focus on the Human story. Some of it was cliche. But it was touching.
-The story having the people/former military fight Godzilla.
-The 1940s Time Setting
-Minimized roles of the Japanese Government.
-The Score/Music
-Godzilla as a serious scary threat. In all of G-history, can only think of 4 Toho films where this was the case.
-over all G-design. Both good and Bad (see cons)
-The film addressing the actual deaths and showing horrific numbers. I've always felt Toho was too soft in this area.

Cons:
-The Godzilla CGI was just ok. I mean, there were scenes, mostly the "gator swim" ones, where G looked amazing. But some of land stuff was just ok.
-The G Design. It seemed a cross between Shin Godzilla (the Body) with the head being from 90's or 2000s G-films.
-The Back Spines. Didn't care for them moving in relation to his heat/atomic breath.
-Typical Japanese film Tropey Main and Side Characters...Young Green Guy, The Scientist, The Rough and Tough Guy, The Tortured Man with a secret, the Angelic Woman, The Bitter Angry Hard Edged woman, etc
-The twist ending. I guess many allowed it since they liked the film so much. It felt like Toho being Safe. Not wanting to be "too dark" i guess...

IBJoel (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 200 Posts

I really love the movie, but the more it sits with me the more the ending just takes a big dump on the rest of the movie.
Old 06-13-24, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 726 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I really love the movie, but the more it sits with me the more the ending just takes a big dump on the rest of the movie.
As has been mentioned before, a darker ending would be antithetical to the themes of the movie, even if a certain reveal was hard to swallow.
Spoiler:
Seriously, she literally gets blown away by a nuclear shockwave and only has a few bandages to show for it?

IBJoel (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The ending may have been telegraphed, but your suggestion would be in direct opposition to the central theme of the movie.
The "ending" is one of the biggest problems with this movie. I am really surprised so many are OK with it.
Giantrobo (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The "ending" is one of the biggest problems with this movie. I am really surprised so many are OK with it.
​​​​​​The whole point of the movie is Koichi overcoming his guilt and trauma associated with his country ordering him and others to their deaths in a war they couldn't win. Whereas his government chose "death", he ultimately chooses "life". If he doesn't choose life, then what is the movie even about?
​​​​​​
The following 5 users liked this post by rocket1312:
DJariya (06-14-24), IBJoel (06-14-24), RocShemp (06-14-24), tanman (06-18-24), Why So Blu? (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,281 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
As has been mentioned before, a darker ending would be antithetical to the themes of the movie, even if a certain reveal was hard to swallow.
Spoiler:
Seriously, she literally gets blown away by a nuclear shockwave and only has a few bandages to show for it?

You gotta look at what's underneath the bandages. It will not end well for those involved.
Old 06-14-24, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Him choosing life is fine, it's a character that CLEARLY should be fucking dead but is revealed to still be alive as a nice bow on top of the ending that spoils it and just ruins the impact her death in the movie had. I don't care that she has G-cells or whatever, a human being isn't surviving that blast. So did everyone else who got hit with the blast get these magic G-cells and will also start developing super powers?
Giantrobo (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, people are so in love with this film they are letting what would be heavily criticized in other films slide.

Old 06-14-24, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

​​​​​​The whole point of the movie is Koichi overcoming his guilt and trauma associated with his country ordering him and others to their deaths in a war they couldn't win. Whereas his government chose "death", he ultimately chooses "life". If he doesn't choose life, then what is the movie even about?
​​​​​​
But...Godzilla chose Death for that character. He did it in a very catastrophic way that should have left them dead. In fact, I'll say it... Koichi surviving that same situation with not even a scratch shows he had heavy duty "Plot Armor"...
Old 06-14-24, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And nevermind how ridiculous it was that he even somehow found her in the streets amid that pure chaos in the first place.
Old 06-14-24, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think we're talking past each other at this point. I wasn't really commenting on anything to do with Noriko. I was responding to d2cheer's suggestion of an alternate ending re: Koichi's choice.

The Noriko stuff was a little flimsy and I don't blame anyone for rolling their eyes at it. But for me, it was emotionally and thematically satisfying enough on a melodramatic level because I was invested in the characters and their stories. It's easy to poke holes narratively, but in my opinion the good outweighed the bad.

But whatever. This was like my 10th or 11th favorite movie from last year. It's no masterpiece, but it's also way better than it really has any right to be. So I'm not going to die on either hill.
Old 06-14-24, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

The movie is not just about the characters. It's about how Japan has to move past the horrors of the war and bombs. The ending affirms that they can resume something regarding normality*. People can be with the ones they love, those orphaned will be cared for. Things thought lost forever, really aren't. You could write an essay on how that normality is specifically a nuclear family and all the implications that has.
Spoiler:
*for now
OldBoy (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 705 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Spoiler:
Him choosing life is fine, it's a character that CLEARLY should be fucking dead but is revealed to still be alive as a nice bow on top of the ending that spoils it and just ruins the impact her death in the movie had. I don't care that she has G-cells or whatever, a human being isn't surviving that blast. So did everyone else who got hit with the blast get these magic G-cells and will also start developing super powers?

Like far sillier and/or dumber things havenít happened in decades of Godzilla sequels.
Why So Blu? (06-14-24)
Old 06-15-24, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

​​​​​​
Maybe I should have phrased it "events" leading up to the end...beyond comprehension and as Giantrobo stated it would be picked apart to death if some other movie. But this one it is ok.

Others are pointing them out for me. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.