Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite depiction of super-speed in a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-22, 02:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

My favorite depiction of super-speed in a movie is Quicksilver's scene from X-Men: Days of Future Past:

What is your favorite depiction of super-speed in a movie?
The following 5 users liked this post by Sub-Zero:
andicus (10-25-22), fujishig (10-24-22), John Pannozzi (10-24-22), PhantomStranger (10-24-22), Shannon Nutt (10-25-22)
Old 10-24-22, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Re: Favorite depiction of super-speed in a movie?

Before I opened the thread, that was my answer.
The following 3 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
fujishig (10-24-22), John Pannozzi (10-24-22), Shannon Nutt (10-25-22)
Old 10-24-22, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Yeah, that's the only acceptable answer : "Time in a Bottle" or "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)".

That said, credit Superman : The Motion Picture for being a true pioneer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
candyrocket786 (10-26-22), John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-24-22, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Agreed on the quicksilver scene, I can't even think of something that would rival it.

But that Superman the Motion PIcture Smallville sequence is just so great.
Old 10-24-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Thread inspired by Black Adam I suppose? But not sure why we need a thread when the answer is given in the OP.
Old 10-24-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Agreed on the quicksilver scene, I can't even think of something that would rival it.
“Bullet time” from The Matrix should at least get a mention.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-24-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by Jason Bovberg:
Cellar Door (10-26-22), Fist of Doom Jr (10-27-22), story (10-24-22), tanman (10-26-22)
Old 10-24-22, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Superman reversing the Earth's rotation in the first movie was pretty cool even if not sound scientifically.
Old 10-25-22, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Sub-Zero nailed my pick right off the bat.
Old 10-25-22, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

While I enjoy the visuals/execution of the Quicksilver scenes, it’s always bugged me that they’ve essentially got it backwards. Moving that fast would cause what Quicksilver experiences as a second to be experienced as a longer time by those around him. The movies flip it and he experiences as several minutes what they experience as a second or less.
Old 10-25-22, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
While I enjoy the visuals/execution of the Quicksilver scenes, it’s always bugged me that they’ve essentially got it backwards. Moving that fast would cause what Quicksilver experiences as a second to be experienced as a longer time by those around him. The movies flip it and he experiences as several minutes what they experience as a second or less.
Call me dumb but I don't get the distinction, isn't everything in slow-mo from his point of view? I always thought it was cool when Mark Waid did it in his Flash run.
Old 10-25-22, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 10-25-22, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

^ Still looks better than this:

Old 10-25-22, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Makkari in Eternals gets my vote. I love that they show her pushing off rocks and sliding through the sand - feels natural and not just "real fast on level ground".
devilshalo (10-26-22)
Old 10-25-22, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Call me dumb but I don't get the distinction, isn't everything in slow-mo from his point of view? I always thought it was cool when Mark Waid did it in his Flash run.
No. Think about it this way. Let’s say he’d have to move across a room in .1 seconds to be moving too fast for people to see him. He would experience that as .1 seconds moving incredibly fast, not a couple minutes of moving at normal speed while everyone else is moving incredibly slow. Again, I recognize that it’s just magic super powers for a movie and enjoy the visuals they come up with, but it’s the opposite of how it would actually be. A-Train accidentally blasting through someone without knowing it in The Boys is a more ‘realistic’ approach to how one would experience it.
Old 10-26-22, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 10-26-22, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No. Think about it this way. Let’s say he’d have to move across a room in .1 seconds to be moving too fast for people to see him. He would experience that as .1 seconds moving incredibly fast, not a couple minutes of moving at normal speed while everyone else is moving incredibly slow. Again, I recognize that it’s just magic super powers for a movie and enjoy the visuals they come up with, but it’s the opposite of how it would actually be. A-Train accidentally blasting through someone without knowing it in The Boys is a more ‘realistic’ approach to how one would experience it.
And I'm still not sure why the more conventional depiction is more or less valid than the "slow down time" depiction. Yes you'd have to have like super reflexes and super brain processing power so you don't smash into walls and stuff, but having everything around you slow down as you enter the speed force or whatever seems like a valid enough interpretation of super speed to me. Is there some principal of time I'm missing here?

Honestly not trying to troll here, just never heard this as a complaint before.
Old 10-26-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand what you are saying. If I run down the street versus walk down the street, I do not perceive things to be moving slower around me, I perceive myself to be moving faster. But that's because my brain is only set up to perceive the passage of time in one way.

If someone possesses the ability to move at super-speed, perhaps their brain is able to perceive time in a different manner. For example, in the Quicksilver scene, he is not just moving his body at super-speed, he is manipulating objects.
If I want to get a glass out of the cupboard, set it on the counter, and pour lemonade into it from a pitcher, my brain has to be able to process and perceive the actions I am performing in real time, otherwise I would drop the glass on the floor or pour lemonade on the counter.
So, for Quicksilver to precisely manipulate objects, his brain has to be able to process what is happening as fast as his body is making it happen.
And so, it is possible this depiction of super-speed is correct as it depicts how Quicksilver perceives the world when he is moving super-fast. Because his brain is mutated, he perceives himself moving at regular speed and the world around him as slowing down. The exact opposite how of my unmutated brain perceives the world when I run down the street.
tanman (10-26-22)
Old 10-26-22, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I have a certain fondness for The Wizard of Speed and Time...

Jason Bovberg (10-26-22)
Old 10-26-22, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I have a certain fondness for The Wizard of Speed and Time...
Wow, blast from the past! Loved this short film. I'm trying to remember where I might have seen it as a youngster. Must've been broadcast somewhere...
Old 10-26-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I appreciate Tim Roth running across campus in The Incredible Hulk, before he goes full-abomination. It's simple but believable.
Old 10-26-22, 03:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

tanman (10-26-22)
Old 10-26-22, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And I'm still not sure why the more conventional depiction is more or less valid than the "slow down time" depiction. Yes you'd have to have like super reflexes and super brain processing power so you don't smash into walls and stuff, but having everything around you slow down as you enter the speed force or whatever seems like a valid enough interpretation of super speed to me. Is there some principal of time I'm missing here?

Honestly not trying to troll here, just never heard this as a complaint before.
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I understand what you are saying. If I run down the street versus walk down the street, I do not perceive things to be moving slower around me, I perceive myself to be moving faster. But that's because my brain is only set up to perceive the passage of time in one way.

If someone possesses the ability to move at super-speed, perhaps their brain is able to perceive time in a different manner. For example, in the Quicksilver scene, he is not just moving his body at super-speed, he is manipulating objects.
If I want to get a glass out of the cupboard, set it on the counter, and pour lemonade into it from a pitcher, my brain has to be able to process and perceive the actions I am performing in real time, otherwise I would drop the glass on the floor or pour lemonade on the counter.
So, for Quicksilver to precisely manipulate objects, his brain has to be able to process what is happening as fast as his body is making it happen.
And so, it is possible this depiction of super-speed is correct as it depicts how Quicksilver perceives the world when he is moving super-fast. Because his brain is mutated, he perceives himself moving at regular speed and the world around him as slowing down. The exact opposite how of my unmutated brain perceives the world when I run down the street.
Again, I think it's fine to just wave the comic book magic wand for the movies. But I believe (and certainly welcome correction if I'm misunderstanding or misapplying the laws of physics) that when an object moves that fast relative to the objects around it, the objects around it experience a longer amount of time than it does.
Old 10-26-22, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, I think it's fine to just wave the comic book magic wand for the movies. But I believe (and certainly welcome correction if I'm misunderstanding or misapplying the laws of physics) that when an object moves that fast relative to the objects around it, the objects around it experience a longer amount of time than it does.
For the time effect you are talking about to be noticeable, the speed of the moving object has to be very, very, very much faster than Quicksilver is moving.

The time difference on Earth versus an object orbiting the Earth at 100,000 mph for a year would still amount to less than a second. Since Quicksilver is moving faster than the speed of a fired bullet, he is going more than 1000 mph, and I saw one youtube analysis that says he is moving at 4 million mph. But usually when the effects of time dilation are discussed as making a practicable difference between observer and mover, the mover is going at the speed of light, which is almost 700 million mph, and the amount of time is much more than a few minutes.

And if you want to think about the real science of a person moving at the speeds Quicksilver moves, you have to question how his muscles are able to generate the force necessary to achieve that speed against air resistance, and why his clothing and hair are not pulled off.

Let’s say he’d have to move across a room in .1 seconds to be moving too fast for people to see him. He would experience that as .1 seconds moving incredibly fast, not a couple minutes of moving at normal speed while everyone else is moving incredibly slow.
The song is messing it up. Without the song, what are they are depicting makes sense as what he would experience compared to everything else in super slo-mo. But you are correct, he can't be listening to a couple minutes of that song.
Old 10-26-22, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Perkinsun Dzees:
Jason Bovberg (10-27-22), Trevor (10-26-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.