Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Return to Silent Hill (D: Gans)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Old 10-19-22, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Return to Silent Hill (D: Gans)

Do it! I’m interested because of Gans. And the first movie is great. The second was passable but not a worthy follow up.
Old 10-19-22, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I don’t much from either of the first two except that they were atmospheric as fuck!

I’m down for more of that creepy-ass world.
Old 10-20-22, 05:38 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Bring it on!

The 1st one made a hell of an impression on me, the 2nd one wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the 1st. If they do this again, I hope they recreate the dread and horror of the 1st one.
The following users liked this post:
gerrythedon (10-24-22)
Old 10-20-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I don’t remember if I even saw the sequel. The first one is pretty good though.
Old 10-20-22, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I really loved the first movie and got excited when I read Gans was making another one. Hopefully they don't force him to shoehorn any needless exposition this go around.

​​​​The second film, Silent Hill: Revelation, looks nice but it's rather underwhelming. M.J. Barret tried too hard to tie the first movie into a sequel that was an adaptation of the third game. It doesn't work since the first movie wasn't intended as an adaptation of the first game (though it certainly borrows elements of its plot) so much as an interpretation of how it feels to play the game. Another issue with the sequel is that the bulk of the runtime is spent talking about Silent Hill, but once they get there the film feels in a rush to be over. I did like the final scene, however.
Old 10-24-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Silent Hill was one of my favorite video game series, and I agree that the first movie was really good. I also liked the second film, but nowhere near as much. Having Gans back is a great start.
The following users liked this post:
gerrythedon (10-24-22)
Old 02-15-23, 01:32 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Return to Silent Hill (D: Gans)

Funding acquired and will film soon.
EXCLUSIVE: Ashland Hill Media Finance is to co-finance a slate of four films at various stages of production, including Christophe Gans’ horror reboot Return To Silent Hill, based on the hit Konami video game.

Producers Victor Hadida and Molly Hassell are behind Return To Silent Hill, which The Veterans is handling for international sales. We covered the project back at AFM. Filming is due to get underway soon.
https://deadline.com/2023/02/return-...ibextid=Zxz2cZ
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
gerrythedon (02-15-23), Troy Stiffler (02-16-23)
Old 02-15-23, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Anywhere to play the very first game, preferably a remastered version?
Old 02-15-23, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Silent Hill 1 is a PSX exclusive and has never been remade or ported except to the Game Boy.
Old 02-16-23, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Silent Hill 1 is a PSX exclusive and has never been remade or ported except to the Game Boy.
Isn't it also on PC? Or was that only the pseudo remake?
Old 02-16-23, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Isn't it also on PC? Or was that only the pseudo remake?
Naw. The sequels are all there but not the OG.
Old 02-16-23, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Good to see it going forward. The first is top-tier horror. And the heavy fantasy elements set it apart from other top-tier horror movies (basically the James Wan movies).

This thread made me rewatch the sequel recently. It was better than I remember. Still lacked the highs (mostly terror) I felt watching the first one.
Old 02-16-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The first game is incredibly rough to play and look at now days. It is in desperate need of a remake like Dead Space.
Old 03-01-23, 08:53 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

With filming due to get underway very soon for Christophe Gans‘ Return to Silent Hill, you’re probably wondering just what exactly the details are for the film, including the story and cast. Luckily, German website Filmportal has provided a few details, including some preliminary casting and a few changes from the game’s story.

According to the site (translated, of course), Return to Silent Hill will be a German-British-Serbian co-production between Munich-based Maze Pictures with Metropolitan and Davis Films from Paris, and The Electric Shadow Company and Lotus Wallace from London. Half of the filming will take place in Germany, with Munich, Penzing, Nuremberg, Rossberg, and Lake Ammer being the locations of choice.

Alongside a screenplay from Gans, the film will be photographed by Benoit Debie, with Felicity Abbott handling production design and Sébastian Prangère serving as editor.

The synopsis goes like this: “Driven by the shadows of his past, James Sunderland returns to Silent Hill to find his lost love, Mary Crane (note the name change from the game). But the dark, depressing small town is no longer the place from his memories. James meets characters who seem all too familiar and who try to divert him from his search for Mary. The longer he searches for Mary, the more he begins to wonder if this is still reality – or if he has fallen into the dark underworld of Jacob Crane.”

Obviously, the story has been changed up from Silent Hill 2 (Mary’s name, the new Jacob Crane character). Keep in mind that this is again all translated, so there is a potential for mistranslation.

As for casting, the only name mentioned is British actor Jeremy Irvine, whose horror credits include 2015’s The Woman in Black: Angel of Death, as well as starring in Steven Spielberg’s War Horse. Filmportal’s listing seems to imply that Irvine is starring as James Sunderland, though again, nothing has been confirmed as of yet.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...sting-revealed
Old 03-01-23, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm hoping this is as loosely based on the second game as the first movie was on the first game. That approach work wonderfully, given Gans was all about the tone and feel of Silent Hill.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-12-24 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-12-24, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems principal photography took place from April to July 2023. I wonder when we'll finally see a trailer.